Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2023, 07:53 PM   #1
george b

Default Weirs Channel today.

Anyone get caught up in that traffic in the Weirs Channel today? Did someone really drop anchor and break a water pipe? Or is that just a rumor?
george b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:20 PM   #2
LongBay

That's what I heard. I did not get stuck but going in and out of the channel was a nightmare. Going out this morning boaters were cutting in line. Coming back in a drunken boater almost crashed into me. One boater parked his ass right next to the boating precession to let his passengers take a dip.

Forget about North Water Marine holding up on their promise to get to the back of the line going through the Channel. Like that is ever going to happen. I lost count how many of their boaters cut in line today. They should make them hire a marine patrol officer to enforce what they said they were going to do.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:30 PM   #3
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by george b View Post
Did someone really drop anchor and break a water pipe? Or is that just a rumor?
Does that mean that the water level is going to go up again?
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 09:49 PM   #4
LoveLakeLife

I got there when they had closed Paugus Bay. Marine Patrol set up a channel block and turned everyone back for a couple hours. The officer said that divers were working on the broken water main when channel traffic resumed the pace was glacial.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:34 PM   #5
Skippermark

I’m happy to see this thread because I was just about to vent my frustration. I normally don’t get too worked up over things, but we saw a lot of crazy things today.

We went into Paugus Bay around 12:30-1:30 and passed the broken pipe. It was right in front of the new docks near North Water Marine. It was right level with the surface and had no warning indicator on it or anything. I have a video of it but haven’t taken it off my GoPro yet.

And speaking of rude behavior, we witnessed people driving like crazy and totally ignoring the rules…people not yielding to those who had the right of way when crossing under the Governor’s Island Bridge and things like that. The person who had the right away yelled at the multiple boats that went out of turn, and one of them turned around, like they wanted to fight, and was yelling and swearing, and making all kinds of hand gestures at the person who had the right of way. It’s like those road rage videos on YouTube.

We saw two or three boats on the northern side of Eagle Island clearly having no idea how to navigate the buoy system. They slowed down, looked around for a minute and then zoomed ahead on the south side of the black buoys, right through the danger zone.

Saw another boat, literally about 30 seconds later, heading towards Spindle Point. They didn’t stop but continued full speed between the lighthouse and the red buoy marking the rocks.

To me, they all looked like rental boats, and the people on board looked like they had no idea what they were doing. This, to me, is the problem with the temporary boating certificate people can get before renting a boat. It doesn’t replace a full course, and Lake Winnepesaukee isn’t a great lake to boat on for first time boaters.

We got gas today at a place that rents pontoons, and the gas attendant said they were sold out for the entire weekend. We watched as one of the workers explained to a group of renters – probably 20 people on the boat - how to navigate the buoy system, but the renters clearly looked lost. As we were leaving the channel, we saw one rental boat yell to another rental boat that this was their first time ever being on a boat.
Skippermark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skippermark For This Useful Post:
george b (05-29-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2023, 11:05 PM   #6
LoveLakeLife

The lake is high enough now that two-way traffic is working while going under the Governor’s Island bridge. What’s the right of way rule when it’s one-way traffic?

Old 05-31-2023, 08:24 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
The lake is high enough now that two-way traffic is working while going under the Governor’s Island bridge. What’s the right of way rule when it’s one-way traffic?
This has been discussed on the forum before.

There is no right of way rule passing under the bridge, however common courtesy usually dictates that the first boat to arrive goes through first.

Many people like to alternate and have one boat pass in one direction and then another boat from the opposite direction. That is the main cause of the backups. On a hot day that wait can seem like a long time.

It is much more efficient when several boats pass in each direction, especially on weekends. However, when you do that, many times people coming the other way look at you like you just committed some foul or violation. They just don't understand.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Skippermark (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 02:09 PM   #8
Skippermark

Thank you, @TiltonBB for the reply. I got back home and got busy and couldn't get on for a couple days.

@LoveLakeLife, I probably shouldn't have said "rule" but as TiltonBB said "common courtesy."

Some places do have rules, like at the Charlestown Breachway, incoming boats have to yield to outgoing ones, but there's none at Winnipesaukee that I'm aware of.

I usually do the alternating thing because, again, as TiltonBB said, people will give you the evil eye if they think you went out of turn. Usually when I'm boating, I'm in no rush, so if someone wants to go "out of turn," it's fine with me.

It does get a little annoying if people do it non-stop, kind of like when you're at a light and people keep turning left in front of you even though you have the green light to go straight.
Skippermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:37 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

"Some places do have rules, like at the Charlestown Breachway, incoming boats have to yield to outgoing ones, but there's none at Winnipesaukee that I'm aware of."

In my very limited salt water experience, that's the common practice. And you call the bridge attendant on VHF and s/he says "there are three boats ahead of you" because you can't always see the boats hovering farther back. Wouldn't be fun if we had drawbridges on the lake?

Generally, I think coastal boaters are more experienced and more courteous than lake boaters. This, confirmed to me many years ago by Dave Barrett.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 08:46 AM   #10
Phantom

The other aspect of the Govenor's Isl. bridge is many many boaters believe that FL#43 is the beginning of the no wake zone when approaching from the Saunders Bay side. When in fact, you can run up to 150ft before the bridge..
Attached Images

Pricestavern (06-05-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 09:10 AM   #11
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
The other aspect of the Govenor's Isl. bridge is many many boaters believe that FL#43 is the beginning of the no wake zone when approaching from the Saunders Bay side. When in fact, you can run up to 150ft before the bridge..
True but I think this misconception works to everyone’s advantage and is much more safe. Boaters passing through, those anchored and the shoreline properties.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Descant (06-02-2023), Tomregal (06-05-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 09:01 PM   #12
LoveLakeLife

Thanks Tilton and Skipper. That’s what I thought, that it was a courtesy thing at that bridge. Phantom is right about the No Wake marker. It’s not really noticeable off to the side where it is unless you’re liking for it. I wonder why it’s places there instead of in the line of sight for people going straight under the bridge. Joey is right about the custom and practice surrounding FL #43. Sometimes it’s faster to go around Governor’s Island.

Old 06-03-2023, 05:43 AM   #13
TiltonBB

Quote:
Thanks Tilton and Skipper. That’s what I thought, that it was a courtesy thing at that bridge. Phantom is right about the No Wake marker. It’s not really noticeable off to the side where it is unless you’re liking for it. I wonder why it’s places there instead of in the line of sight for people going straight under the bridge.
Maybe you misread. There in no No Wake marker on that side. There is only a navigation marker near FL 43. The 150 foot rule applies on that side of the bridge.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Phantom (06-05-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 01:40 PM   #14
LoveLakeLife

There is a wake marker but it’s off to the side. If you’ve just passed under the bridge going toward Saunders Bay, it’s on the right.

Old 06-04-2023, 07:43 AM   #15
TiltonBB

Quote:
There is a wake marker but it’s off to the side. If you’ve just passed under the bridge going toward Saunders Bay, it’s on the right.
I will look next time through. I believe that is a marker placed by the owners of the 3 docks who own the property across the street. I do not think it is an "official" marker placed by the Marine Patrol.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:23 AM   #16
LoveLakeLife

Oh that’s interesting. I’m surprised the Marine Patrol wouldn’t have removed it. I thought non official markers were frowned upon. I thought it was too bad when the safety tape was removed from between the two markers in Tommy’s cove to warn newcomers about the rock.