Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
TriDad

Default YouTube TV

Anyone switch to YouTube TV? It is the only non-cable option that has NESN for $35/month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TriDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
Patofnaud

Is this your second home? And if so do you have NESN at you prime residence?

The reason I ask is you may want to consider a Slingbox.

At my main home, I have a Slingbox on my Comcast STB and at my summer place I just pay for Internet, which if you're using Youtube I assume you have, and I remote cast my home cable anywhere I am. Costs under $200 for the box and I pay $0 after that per month.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
gator8

Thumbs up YouTube TV

I switched to YouTube TV as soon as it was available in the Boston market. It allowed me to save about $100 a month on Cable. It has most of the channels I want and I can use it both at my primary residence in MA as well as my home in Meredith. I feel the app is sort of quirky and it is not the same easy experience as Cable with a remote but that was a small price to pay for the savings. Hopefully YouTube can improve the user experience in future releases. One other thing, you need to have a TV that is Chromecast enabled or you need to buy a Chromecast Dongle to use it on an older TV.
gator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
Flylady

Default Keep us updated

Thanks for this topic. I asked in another topic about you tube tv after seeing it advertised during the super bowl. I dropped by Spectrum seasonal service in the fall when they increased the down months fee by 3X. I live on the west coast so Spectrum mobile would not work in NH....but it now looks like You Tube TV is a new option. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait until early May to get back there and try it.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Overlake97

Default Available in Lake Region?

Is YouTube TV available in the Lake Region of NH, or do you need to be home-based in a larger area, like Boston? My brother, who lives in Albany NY, was singing its praises, but didn't think we had access to it out here.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
diz

Default Youtube TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
Is YouTube TV available in the Lake Region of NH, or do you need to be home-based in a larger area, like Boston? My brother, who lives in Albany NY, was singing its praises, but didn't think we had access to it out here.
It's not tied to an internet provider. You give it your ZIP code when you sign up and it'll tell you what channels you'll get. I signed up with a Boston ZIP and I get the MA stations as well as WMUR. It's a pretty good service. The channel lineup is decent and you can record shows online and watch them from any of your devices the have the TV app.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diz For This Useful Post:
Overlake97 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
marcucci

Check out DirecTV Now too. It's like Direct TV over the internet. Especially if you have AT&T for cell service. I pay $10 / month for it with my AT&T discount.
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #8
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcucci View Post
Check out DirecTV Now too. It's like Direct TV over the internet. Especially if you have AT&T for cell service. I pay $10 / month for it with my AT&T discount.
Good info, I can get rid of my dish and save a fortune. Would I still get the Sunday ticket if I subscribe?
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
marcucci

There are some differences. I don’t know if Sunday ticket is a available. Check their plans online. I know they don’t have NESN which kills me as a bruins fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #10
pjard

You can't get the Manchester or Portland news on Youtube TV....that's the only reason I haven't switched. Not that either of those are great news programs but when something is happening locally the Boston channels don't cover it.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
You can't get the Manchester or Portland news on Youtube TV....that's the only reason I haven't switched. Not that either of those are great news programs but when something is happening locally the Boston channels don't cover it.
You can watch the WMUR news live on their phone app and use Chromecast to project it onto your TV. Not as easy as selecting a channel on cable TV but it works.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #12
Doobs41378

Default YouTube TV

I use a ROKU stick and PlayStation VUE ( I don’t own a PlayStation ) and we get NESN and Boston Sports Network but we do not get WMUR. We are a Boston Market and get WCVB out of Boston.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #13
WJT2

Default you tube down

I know this probably does not belong here BUT I can't figure out how to post a new thread. The new thread would be : why can't I see any YouTube videos that I click on from this web? The screen is black. HELP ME????
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #14
Flylady

Default You tube TV

I just signed up on the 7 day trial. Here is what happened to me. Used cell phone to activate it. The activation is based on signal and or zip code. I was assigned the Portland/Auburn area. I was hoping to get the Boston area. I also added my daughter under the family account who lives in Los Angeles. She is able to get the LA feed on her Roku. I am told that NESN is included but haven't seen it yet. I still have spectrum so I can watch both from Roku. I have a few more days left before I decide to cut Spectrum. Want to test bandwidth running Roku and other wireless devices.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
marcucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
I just signed up on the 7 day trial.
Just a warning. I did the same and canceled on day 7 but still got charged for the next month. I posted my experience online and was told it wasn't uncommon for that to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to marcucci For This Useful Post:
Flylady (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post

Get a roku stick (cheap) and tune in to the NewsOn app. Local stations all over the country to pick from. Free!

Most stations stream their live news in a live feed. At off hours they play previous broadcasts. THERE ARE NO COMMERCIALS!! When the commercials are playing NewsOn goes blank for a blessed few minutes!

http://newson.us/

Quote:
NewsON is a local news service that enables users to see local news broadcasts and video clips from TV stations across the United States in one app. As of November 2016, NewsON includes 170 TV stations from 108 markets covering 83% of the US population and is growing.[1] The app is available on mobile phones, tablets and connected TVs, including iPhones, iPads, Android phones, Android tablets, and Roku connected TV devices. NewsON delivers a first-of-its-kind app to view live local news broadcasts during breaking news across platforms and enabling viewers to watch the video when convenient for them.
Attached Images

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
TCC (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #17
Flylady

Default YouTube Update

Just learned that NESN is only available in the Boston Market area. So you need to sign up from Boston, not wait until you arrive up at the lake.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #18
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Get a roku stick (cheap) and tune in to the NewsOn app. Local stations all over the country to pick from. Free!

Most stations stream their live news in a live feed. At off hours they play previous broadcasts. THERE ARE NO COMMERCIALS!! When the commercials are playing NewsOn goes blank for a blessed few minutes!

http://newson.us/

Go on Craigslist or better yet 'Letgo' and purchase an 'unlocked' Amazon Firestick. You'll get most of the premium subscription channels, Showtime, HBO, Netflix, Nat Geo, and dozens more w/o the subscription cost, and that will never change !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #19
TCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post

Most stations stream their live news in a live feed. At off hours they play previous broadcasts. THERE ARE NO COMMERCIALS!! When the commercials are playing NewsOn goes blank for a blessed few minutes!http://newson.us/
A big "Thank You", McDude. After reading your post, I went and found this on our Roku. Excellent!
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote