Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
jbolty

Default car plunge contest

why is this not a thing here?

https://rotaryimk.org/car-plunge-contest/
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Pretty interesting. My first concern was environmental friendliness, which is remedied by the removal of all the contaminants, etc. Pretty cool learning opportunity for the local tech school.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
why is this not a thing here?

https://rotaryimk.org/car-plunge-contest/
Isn't this kind of like our Ice-Out Guess Contest, except we use Emerson Aviation instead of a car plunge?
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Interesting concept. We do have the Lakes Region Community College that might be interested in a project to prepare the car. No human input and no way to alter the results.

I suppose if the prizes were big enough someone would be out there in the dark putting rock salt under the car just to get the car to go through the ice at their chosen time.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Or the Nenana Ice Classic in Alaska

Certainly the Car Plunge is a neat idea, and our own Ice Out Contest is certainly an item of interest. Whenever I think ice out, I am reminded of my time spent stationed at an Air Force base outside Fairbanks. A tripod is placed out on the ice in the Tanana river in Nenana AK, and when the ice moves sufficiently to stop a clock that is connected on shore to the tripod by rope or cable, the person who guesses the correct time the clock stops, or closest time either side of that time.
I was in Alaska from 1967 to 1972, so this ice out contest has a lot of history. In fact, it dates back to 1917. In fact, this weekend is Tripod weekend, with activities all weekend. Later today, the Tripod will be placed on the Tanana River. They even have a webcam overlooking the site.

Here's a link to the Nenana Ice Classic website.

https://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com

Dave
Old 03-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
Paugus Bay Resident

I remember as a kid, going to the Kingston carnival on the 4th. They used to build up a bunch of railroad ties in kind of a crib, with a car on top. The grand finale was to light it up and wait for whole thing to cave in. We didn't have EPA then

http://www.cripplecreektoday.com/fou...fire-memories/

Last edited by Paugus Bay Resident; 03-03-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
Top-Water

2018 Video

Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
fatlazyless

At a frozen lake in Iron Mountain, Michigan, in the upper peninsular, close to Wisconsin so for a similar spot here in New Hampshire, maybe someplace like Cambridge, NH ...... close to Maine, and south of Errol, NH ..... up above the north country notches.

You ever hear of Cambridge, NH ..... probably not .... so, that makes it a good place for this ..... on some frozen pond in the middle of no-where!
Old 03-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
The Real BigGuy

I wonder who bares retrieval costs? Bet that would be the stumbling block here unless you charged for guesses and had a large cash prize.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #10
MBNeckguy

A local organization (can’t remember who) partnered with a radio station (ditto) to do this very thing on Meredith Bay back in the mid to late 90’s. The car was located on the ice right in front of the space where the Rotary trailer is for the derby. I believe it was a guessing game similar to area ice out contests. On a warm early spring day I recall seeing a group of snowmobilers doing tight, aggressive circles around the car to thin the ice with their studded tracks and eventually made it fall in early. I believe they had all fluids drained from the car and it was attached to a chain to make retrieval a bit easier. Regardless of all the steps they took to make it as environmentally friendly as possible the public’s perception was that it was not a great idea and it was never done again.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
MBNeckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBNeckguy For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #11
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Certainly the Car Plunge is a neat idea, and our own Ice Out Contest is certainly an item of interest. Whenever I think ice out, I am reminded of my time spent stationed at an Air Force base outside Fairbanks. A tripod is placed out on the ice in the Tanana river in Nenana AK, and when the ice moves sufficiently to stop a clock that is connected on shore to the tripod by rope or cable, the person who guesses the correct time the clock stops, or closest time either side of that time.
I was in Alaska from 1967 to 1972, so this ice out contest has a lot of history. In fact, it dates back to 1917. In fact, this weekend is Tripod weekend, with activities all weekend. Later today, the Tripod will be placed on the Tanana River. They even have a webcam overlooking the site.

Here's a link to the Nenana Ice Classic website.

https://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com

Dave
About 20 years ago, the Wall Street Journal ran a story about this contest. IIRC, at the time, it was the only form of legal gambling in the state.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #12
TCC

Reminds me of the Nenana Ice Classic in Alaska. Uses a tower instead of a car. This will be it's 102nd year. It's a big money-maker for the town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nenana_Ice_Classic

ETA: Oops! I should have read through to the end of the thread. Sorry.
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Flagpole

In the 50's there was a raft apparatus in Weirs Bay with a flagpole. When the ice melted enough for the flagpole to fall, that triggered a clock and a winner was declared. This was an explanation from my father, so I really don't know much more. Anybody know when the tradition about the Mount and her four ports started? That seems more "recent", but it may be that it is just more widespread now that we have internet. Before that, I doubt it was reported much outside the circulation area of the Laconia Citizen.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote