Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
Laure

Default Visiting in July

I tried searching but....

This will be our first visit. Staying on Cow Island. Where is a safe place to park a truck with a boat trailer and 2 additional vehicles for 4 nights?

I'm sure I'll come up with a million more questions so thanks in advance.
Laure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:17 PM   #2
Pricestavern

That's a lot of vehicles in the heart of summer to park temporarily. I'd suggest calling the various marinas in the area to see if you can arrange short-term parking with them and the use of their ramp.

Hope you have a great time on the lake! Buy a quality map of the lake and start studying it as soon as you can before you get up there. There are some treacherous areas that you can suddenly find yourself in. GPS is great but don't rely solely on that.

Make sure you have all the necessary PFDs, etc on board. The Marine Patrol is not to be trifled with. Same with fishing - get a license if you're going to drop a line. Those guys pop up out of nowhere.

Sit back, relax and listen to the Loons. Enjoy!
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
Laure (03-06-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:33 PM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 1,520 Times in 586 Posts

Come on man! It isn't that bad!

That is a lot of negative information to throw at someone making their first visit. (If you don't mind the Marine Patrol, Fish and Game, and the rocks you should have a great time)

Just be careful, be aware of where you are on the lake, and don't worry about the Marine Patrol. In over 50 years on the lake, the last 10 boating 200 to 300 hours per year, I have been stopped twice by the Marine Patrol. And once was for a stern light out that I hadn't noticed because it was recessed into the transom.

Winnipesaukee is a great, fun place with many different towns and places to see and I am sure that after this visit you will come back again and again.

Ask all the questions you want, there are a lot of people with a lot of area knowledge on this site.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
barndoor (03-06-2021), Laure (03-06-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
Pricestavern

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Come on man! It isn't that bad!

That is a lot of negative information to throw at someone making their first visit. (If you don't mind the Marine Patrol, Fish and Game, and the rocks you should have a great time)
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the lake is bad. Just putting out there the most common issues that new boaters run into. Better forewarned than minus an outdrive
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
Laure (03-06-2021), thinkxingu (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
bobkatfly

Default Tuftonboro town beach

In Tuftonboro, across from the town beach on rt 109, there is a large parking lot. It's used by vehicles w/trailers that launch boats from the Pier 19 ramp (not the best ramp around but still a ramp). The lot is a very short drive from the ramp. With that said, I'm not certain about the extended stay limitations there, especially with three vehicles. I've seen pickups with trailers overnight from time to time though. There's an association that owns the boat slips at the ramp but I don't think it belongs to them. Seems to be a lot for overflow at the beach. Maybe someone else here can chime in about that. Otherwise, you can call the Tuftonboro police dept to inquire. Maybe you can get a short term permit.
More importantly, pay attention to what pricestavern and TiltonBB said about navigating the lake if you're not familiar with it.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobkatfly For This Useful Post:
Laure (03-06-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,807 Times in 750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
In Tuftonboro, across from the town beach on rt 109, there is a large parking lot. It's used by vehicles w/trailers that launch boats from the Pier 19 ramp (not the best ramp around but still a ramp). The lot is a very short drive from the ramp. With that said, I'm not certain about the extended stay limitations there, especially with three vehicles. I've seen pickups with trailers overnight from time to time though. There's an association that owns the boat slips at the ramp but I don't think it belongs to them. Seems to be a lot for overflow at the beach. Maybe someone else here can chime in about that. Otherwise, you can call the Tuftonboro police dept to inquire. Maybe you can get a short term permit.
More importantly, pay attention to what pricestavern and TiltonBB said about navigating the lake if you're not familiar with it.

Pretty sure that lot you are referring to on 109 is for stickered town residents only. If there is any time of the year where rules like that will be enforced it will be in July.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Laure (03-06-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 05:20 PM   #7
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Pretty sure that lot you are referring to on 109 is for stickered town residents only. If there is any time of the year where rules like that will be enforced it will be in July.
Ahh. Makes sense. OP might still want to call PD to check. Maybe they would make a temporary exception. It's a perfect spot for what they want to do.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobkatfly For This Useful Post:
Laure (03-06-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #8
Soal2soal

The owner of the home you are staying at can get up to 4 permits @ $3.50 each through the town clerk for the town parking lot located across from the beach. Short walk down to Pier 19, then give to renters or their guests. July will be the month the police look for the parking tag. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Soal2soal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soal2soal For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-06-2021), Laure (03-06-2021), Pricestavern (03-06-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 11:09 PM   #9
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soal2soal View Post
The owner of the home you are staying at can get up to 4 permits @ $3.50 each through the town clerk for the town parking lot located across from the beach. Short walk down to Pier 19, then give to renters or their guests. July will be the month the police look for the parking tag. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
An actual, helpful post. Bravo.
In the mean time, welcome to the forum and to Lake Winnipesaukee.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Laure (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 10:33 AM   #10
Laure

Thanks to all. Great information.
Laure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #11
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,289 Times in 775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laure View Post
Thanks to all. Great information.
I've no info for your original question, but if you have any questions about where to visit north of Ragged Island, feel free to message me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote