Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2023, 03:54 PM   #1
NHskier

Default Mt. Washington Cruises acquires Winni Belle

Press release from the cruise line.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:26 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Yup, Wolfeboro loses another one.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:51 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Yup, Wolfeboro loses another one.
The press release doesn't say the Belle won't return to Wolfeboro. If she needs two years refurbishment, she likely wasn't going to stay active anyway. Remember when the Judge Sewall sank at her dock?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:02 PM   #4
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The press release doesn't say the Belle won't return to Wolfeboro. If she needs two years refurbishment, she likely wasn't going to stay active anyway. Remember when the Judge Sewall sank at her dock?
It doesn't but I will be very surprised if they keep her exclusively on the east side of the lake as she has been. It was one commercial vessel that we had to ourselves. You are right, I don't think the Inn would have put more money into her. Poor Judge Sewall. And then she sat half sunk by Wolfeboro Neck while they waited for state permission to sink her forever. It didn't happen so the cut her up. Sad.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:12 PM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

When it was delivered to the lake the transport company misjudged and it landed on top of the dock at the ramp in Alton.

A hydraulic wrecker was used to lift it and get it into the water.

It has spent the winter on land in Gilford having repairs done but still needs more work.

I wonder how many people go out on a cruise and think they are on a paddle wheel boat?
Attached Images

TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2023, 11:00 AM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

So, at 65' she's about the same length as the Dive, and is also shallow draft. Wouldn't it be fun to have two boats competing at the sandbars? Can't imagine all the online screamers going crazy over that.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:56 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Overall this is not that surprising. Mount Washington Cruises is trying to expand its operations which overall I believe is a good thing. With the number of vessels they have now, it will not be as difficult on them to have a boat sitting out for a year to do serious maintenance. The exception to that will be the Mount of course, for which Maintenance will remain a winter project.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:54 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Currently at Fay's.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Descant (04-04-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 03:12 PM   #9
codeman671

I always assumed it was inboard powered. Surprised to see it has outdrives
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:14 AM   #10
ApS

Arrow Affront to Golden Pond...Pretentious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Judge Sewall must have sunk more than one time. She sank once a few hundred feet from my dock. Did it drift there or was intentionally run-aground?
IDK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It doesn't but I will be very surprised if they keep her exclusively on the east side of the lake as she has been. It was one commercial vessel that we had to ourselves. You are right, I don't think the Inn would have put more money into her. Poor Judge Sewall. And then she sat half sunk by Wolfeboro Neck while they waited for state permission to sink her forever. It didn't happen so the cut her up. Sad.
The Belle will need work underneath to operate on anything bur calm waters. Under power, it would stagger and "crab" from one course to another. The side wheels (mostly) turned, but provided no propulsion. They were passive in "operation"--if you could call it that.

Usually, it would pass by on quiet Friday evenings loudly playing "Mack the Knife", but rap "music" was a specialty in later years.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:21 AM   #11
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

Judge Sewall must have sunk more than one time. She sank once a few hundred feet from my dock. Did it drift there or was intentionally run-aground?
IDK.

The Belle will need work underneath to operate on anything bur calm waters. Under power, it would stagger and "crab" from one course to another. The side wheels (mostly) turned, but provided no propulsion. They were passive in "operation"--if you could call it that.

Usually, it would pass by on quiet Friday evenings loudly playing "Mack the Knife", but rap "music" was a specialty in later years.

That is one thing I liked, that it would occasionally come to our neck of the woods since we don't see big commercial vehicles. If I remember correctly, they put the Judge by your house while they awaited permission from the state to sink it but she didn't want to wait for the state. They were not given permission to sink her.