Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Anyone Else See This??

Wow, talk about a freak accident...Hope they will all be OK.

http://www.boston.com/news/local-new...-winnipesaukee
Old 08-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Phantom

The article leaves a lot to be desired as far as details .......

Must have been over by FL#43 as opposed to the shoreline of the GI bridge but still I cannot fathom how that could occur unless they could not swim -- in which case, what were they doing there in the first place without life jackets on

It's not like the Governor's Island bridge area has a "Rip tide" nor does that area suddenly turn into 30ft of water

In the end however -- hope all are okay

Old 08-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
SIKSUKR

Saw this yesterday and thought it very strange. A wave swept 3 people from waist deep water to deeper water? Really? Methinks they swam into deeper water themselves or the boat was blown away from them and into deeper water and the swim chase led to this incident. At least that makes more sense to me.FWIW
Old 08-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
Winnisquamer

The boat’s operator, 24-year-old XXXXXXX of East Elmhurst, New York,

Enough said...
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
Phantom

Now let's not immediately go there Winnisquamer !!!!

When my son was 24, he was very adept at handling our boat (26' bowrider) in ALL conditions that Winni can throw at a boater & I was (and am still) always completely confident when he has the boat out.

There is no need to spin the forum up on Young drivers, the State that they are from or god forbid we dredge out the boater cert string again

All I said, as SIKSUKER also echo'd .... the article is "thin" on details and we all know it is EXTREMELY hard to believe the words of the article that they got "Swept into deeper water where they began to struggle" !!! There is no cliff that drops off in that area --unlike Patrician Shores for example

There is a LOT more to this than one line of print

dpg (08-23-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post

Enough said...
The article says the 24 year old operator helped the 3 teens who were in distress. What exactly is "enough said"?
Old 08-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,520 Times in 985 Posts
Default News process?

News Process?
Isn't the goal to get something on the air quick? So somebody hears something on the scanner and tells an intern to write it up for the next newscast. They don't have any details. There generally isn't any follow up, and the story lasts for one or two cycles and is done. And it's a weekend. The remote truck is at the beach telling you it's hot out. A day later, we're trying to analyze the details here? The press doesn't publish "Extras" any more , and you can't "Read all about it." Pretty high expectations I think.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
Winnisquamer

Apparently no one can decipher the fact of using bold text to highlight something. I could care less the operator was 24. It was a quick joke that we who are permanent residents in the Lakes Region are New Englander's not New Yorker's, there has been like 4 threads in the last month of people saying "Don't New York up NH".

Phantom you have a Redsox logo as your avatar, how did you not get the anti NY joke?

Man people are soo butt hurt on this site.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #9
Phantom

Apologies Winnisquamer

I have been so conditioned lately to all the "whiners" on the Forum .... I did pick up the Bold Text, but thought of it more of a "Outer Stater" slam than Yankee/Red Sox

and the avatar in reality is Boston Strong (as you know)..... that day touched a LOT of people

Old 08-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #10
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Apologies Winnisquamer

I have been so conditioned lately to all the "whiners" on the Forum .... I did pick up the Bold Text, but thought of it more of a "Outer Stater" slam than Yankee/Red Sox

and the avatar in reality is Boston Strong (as you know)..... that day touched a LOT of people

There's been a lot of this going on as of late: unintentional offensive language, someone gets insulted, followed by a quick apology by the offender, followed by an apology by the one who was offended.....is this the result of the PC culture we now live in? Or perhaps too much time on the water due to the lower gas prices? Trump vs. Hillary anxiety? Perhaps someone should coordinate a hugfest in the near future for everyone to hug it out.
radiocontester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radiocontester For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (08-23-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #11
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Apologies Winnisquamer

No need to apologize but I appreciate it, I think you and I have had some good back and forths on here and I mean nothing in offense.. It was an outer stater comment for sure meant as a joke, I would guarantee if we were in NY and a "masshole" did something they'd say the same thing. There is no doubt there has been a tiff between NY and the rest of us Red Sox/ Patriots breathing folks.
And I agree with your avatar, I was there supporting a friend run her second marathon and she was unable to finish, I and who I was with luckily was not injured during the event but do agree with you on that topic.

Radiocontester blasphemy, there is no such thing as too much time on the water!!
Old 08-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #12
noreast

The only thing that I'm offended by are people being offended... enough said... I wish the news would offer a little depth to what they cover. I would love more info, not to blame the young woman but to understand what happened so we might learn from it. For example, was it a rental and from where, might offer Insight, Or any other # of factors. Sounds like someone was pretty close to death? A few questions by a reporter could end speculation. I'm sure MP will get to the bottom, but It would be nice to know.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #13
radiocontester

Quote:

Radiocontester blasphemy, there is no such thing as too much time on the water!!
Sorry, I apologize!
radiocontester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

People who were there have posted on I Boat Facebook page.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #15
brk-lnt

Quote:
Apparently no one can decipher the fact of using bold text to highlight something. I could care less the operator was 24. It was a quick joke that we who are permanent residents in the Lakes Region are New Englander's not New Yorker's, there has been like 4 threads in the last month of people saying "Don't New York up NH".

Phantom you have a Redsox logo as your avatar, how did you not get the anti NY joke?

Man people are soo butt hurt on this site.
If multiple people don't get your joke and you have to explain it, maybe you should consider the problem is with the joke, not the readers
Newbiesaukee (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #16
Cindido

Quote:
No need to apologize but I appreciate it, I think you and I have had some good back and forths on here and I mean nothing in offense.. It was an outer stater comment for sure meant as a joke, I would guarantee if we were in NY and a "masshole" did something they'd say the same thing. There is no doubt there has been a tiff between NY and the rest of us Red Sox/ Patriots breathing folks.
And I agree with your avatar, I was there supporting a friend run her second marathon and she was unable to finish, I and who I was with luckily was not injured during the event but do agree with you on that topic.

As a refugee from NY - I knew what you meant immediately
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cindido For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamer (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #17
Newbiesaukee

Quote:

Enough said...
I do believe that truly Winnisquamer did not intend harm. But on first reading I was not sure that the comment referred to the person's age, the persons ethnicity ( the person's name does sound "foreign") or the New York part. After thinking about it, and I did think about it, I assumed it was the New York part.

My own perception is that "nuff said" usually means there is a lot more that could and should be said about the subject. Again, this is not directed at Winnisqamer.

As far as "political correctness" I do get the negative implications and the way it is now used. There ARE some ridiculous things going on. The truth is that words do hurt and there is so much "hate" speech on the Internet and elsewhere that many people are sensitive. How sensitive and to what totally depends on the person and whose ox is being gored.

It is tough to convey humor or other subtleties of speech on the Internet. If people can misinterpret...they usually will.

Rant over. It seems like a lot of talk for a trivial issue but it is so easy to misinterpret what people mean.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:19 PM   #18
Pricestavern

Default God Save Us

From New Yorkers like me
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamer (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 03:18 AM   #19
pjard

Default Are all three OK?

This forum has gone bat **** crazy. Are the three kids OK? My daughter read somewhere on facebook that the boat capsized.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:34 AM   #20
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
From New Yorkers like me
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:46 AM   #21
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
This forum has gone bat **** crazy. Are the three kids OK? My daughter read somewhere on facebook that the boat capsized.
The brief article said this was a pontoon boat --- can't imagine that capsizing when at a sandbar.

Perhaps your daughter is crossing accidents with the capsized boat on Winnisquam a week or so ago

Old 08-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #22
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

If you read the "I Boat on Lake Winnipesaukee" facebook page, someone there who actually helped save the kids described what happened. There was no capsizing. The kids were on the sand bar and apparently at this area it drops off quick. They all went out too far and got in trouble. All I can say is thank God there were smart people around to help them out as it sounded like the parents were somewhat in shock and didn't know what to do. One of the kids needed CPR to be revived!...

Could of been a tragedy but thanks to smart boaters around them everyone will live to see another day!

Kudos to those other boaters who saved their lives!

Dan
GTO (08-23-2016), Newbiesaukee (08-23-2016), Phantom (08-23-2016), thinkxingu (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #23
christo1

One of the most important things you can teach your kids is how to swim.Maybe they could swim and the conditions just got to rough anyways glad there was people there to help when they needed it.
christo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christo1 For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #24
Greene's Basin Girl

It was very windy Saturday. Possibly the wind contributed to the problem.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote