Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
Cal Coon

Default At a loss...

I have a 93 23' bow rider with a 350 mercruiser magnum (carburetor), that I shorted out trying to fix the rpm gauge. The rpm gauge was not working, so I removed the whole cluster to find a loose wire hanging from the tach that was labeled "ground", so I just "assumed" it came loose somehow, but I could not see where it would have come from since it had a female connector on it, but I could not see a male connector anywhere within it's reach, so, with the boat idling, I touched the dangling wire to one of the screws holding the gauge in place to see if the gauge would work... The boat just died. I have no power to the engine, or gauges whatsoever. No click, no nothing, but all the accessories still work, blower, power engine hatch, trim tabs, lights, etc, etc... I reset every breaker on the panel, but still have no power to the gauges/engine. Obviously, I tripped a breaker, or blew a fuse somewhere, but I can't find it for the life of me! There is no "in line" fuse under the dash anywhere that I can see, and I found 2 in line fuses on the engine, but both were good, and the 50amp breaker on the engine didn't need to be reset... Now I am at a loss as to where to look. Any suggestions before I have to bring it somewhere...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:59 PM   #2
Juiced06GTO

Sounds like you grounded out an ignition wire. I am not 100% sure on boats, but on a car there should be a hot wire while cranking and a hot wire constant once ignition is on. The dead short could have fried a wire somewhere before it blew a fuse. What screws on the gauge were you touching it to? The tach should receive an electrical signal from the distributor/cam sensor, not sure what would happen if you dead shorted it. Hopefully that gives you some direction to look in, sorry i couldn't be of more help.

I'd also check the ignition itself, see if it is getting power and then work to the source from there.
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Juiced06GTO For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #3
codeman671

For anything electrical, if you need help call Nick at NW Marine Industries.

www.nwmarineindustries.com/
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Woodsy

You are going to need a multi-meter to start checking things..... Start with the ignition key switch and work your way back! You might be able to find a wiring diagram for your boat online.

Woodsy
Old 07-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
Meredith AK

Default NW Marine

I second the recommendation for calling Nick, 207-266-1888
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
elbie

Don't you just hate when stuff like this happens?
Good Luck with the fix.
elbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I have a 93 23' bow rider with a 350 mercruiser magnum (carburetor), that I shorted out trying to fix the rpm gauge. The rpm gauge was not working, so I removed the whole cluster to find a loose wire hanging from the tach that was labeled "ground", so I just "assumed" it came loose somehow, but I could not see where it would have come from since it had a female connector on it, but I could not see a male connector anywhere within it's reach, so, with the boat idling, I touched the dangling wire to one of the screws holding the gauge in place to see if the gauge would work... The boat just died. I have no power to the engine, or gauges whatsoever. No click, no nothing, but all the accessories still work, blower, power engine hatch, trim tabs, lights, etc, etc... I reset every breaker on the panel, but still have no power to the gauges/engine. Obviously, I tripped a breaker, or blew a fuse somewhere, but I can't find it for the life of me! There is no "in line" fuse under the dash anywhere that I can see, and I found 2 in line fuses on the engine, but both were good, and the 50amp breaker on the engine didn't need to be reset... Now I am at a loss as to where to look. Any suggestions before I have to bring it somewhere...
There may be a fuseable link in the ignition circuit. A fusable link is not a "fuse" but rather a short section of wire that is designed to melt should to much current flow through it to protect against a potential fire.

Really as suggested bust out a multimeter that will be the only way to see if you have power going to and out of your ignition switch. If you have a fuse block I'd start there and make sure you have power where you should then go from there to the ignition switch and so on. Having a schematic in this case would be really helpful to map out how things are wired.

One thing to remember with a boat there really is no chassis "ground" it's typically operating off a floating ground, possibly in line off the engine block or off the battery itself.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
Cal Coon

I will be calling Nick at NW Marine. Thanks for all the tips and/or advice, appreciate it very much.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

I third the recommendation for calling Nick, 207-266-1888.

He knows his stuff and is very good. Local marinas are using him for wiring and electrical issues. Good work and a fair price.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #10
Cal Coon

Turned out to be the kill switch lanyard somehow shorted out. All set to be back on the water this weekend!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #11
Juiced06GTO

Awesome news see you up there!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Juiced06GTO For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (07-21-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #12
8gv

This is a great outcome!

Congrats!
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

A Winni Forum rafting party in the north!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #14
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
Awesome news see you up there!!
Yes, I will be looking for you! I hope your vacation remains uneventful as far as boat problems go... You have definitely earned it the last couple weeks trying to get that boat ready. Enjoy!!
Old 07-20-2020, 10:30 PM   #15
Juiced06GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Yes, I will be looking for you! I hope your vacation remains uneventful as far as boat problems go... You have definitely earned it the last couple weeks trying to get that boat ready. Enjoy!!
Well it hasn’t been quite as uneventful as I had hoped we were stranded in the bay today with a no start while trying to swap out skiers for tubers this afternoon! I am thinking battery, might be alternator, but I’ll have her fixed up ready to roll tomorrow am!! We are up in Buzzels cove if anyone wants to meet up for a beer and shooting of the breeze!
Old 07-21-2020, 05:38 PM   #16
billy

Check your starter solenoid relay

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
billy is offline   Reply With Quote