Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2021, 06:00 PM   #1
Garcia

Default Rototiller advice

I have an old (1970 something) Troy Built tiller that up until now has been great. I just went to use it for the first time this year. Pulled the cord and it fired up on the first pull. I throttled it back and it ran for maybe 5 seconds. Since then, it will fire up if the throttle is fully open, but if I don't throttle it back, it floods and stalls out and if I do throttle it back it sputters out. Fresh gas and an oil change at the end of last season before putting it away.

Any quick fixes/suggestions as to where to look?
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:05 PM   #2
gwhite13

Points and timing have a shelf life. If it is the horse model, a professional tuneup is justified. Those machines will last your grandchildren's lifetime with care.
gwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:18 PM   #3
NH.Solar

First shut off the gas supply if you have a valve. On the bottom of the carburetor there will be a bowl and at the bottom center of that there will be a nut with an adjustment needle, this is the main mixture ratio adjustment. Hold the bowl up in place and remove the needle assembly using, I think, a 9/16 wrench. If then bowl can be kept in place it will avoid you needing to replace the bowl to carb gasket and should stay there on its own.
Now, with the needle and nut assembly in hand, screw out the needle, spring and o-ring at the top of the spring. The now bare nut piece will consist of the nut and a threaded portion above it. Look in the area near where it transitions from nut to thread for a hole about the size of a pencil lead, this is where the carb picks up gas from the bowl for metering. Now go directly up from the hole and look for a much smaller hole in the threaded portion, this will be the metered hole that is adjusted by the mixture needle and most likely where you might find a blockage of green varnish. Clean it out with by running a manila tag wire through it and flushing it our with carb cleaner. Put everything back together and set the main mixture needle initially at two turns out. Once the engine has started and warmed up for a few minutes set it at wide open and then turn the main mixture needle in and out until you hear it running most perfectly. I then usually open it up just a tad (1/16th of a turn) to accommodate the extra fuel needed to accelerate. Next turn adjust the idle stop to the point you like best, and then adjust the idle mixture screw (the horizontal screw going into the side of the carb body) by turning it out until you hear the rpms drop, and then turning it in until you hear the rpms drop, and then setting it in the middle. That's it! Your problem will likely be just a bit of varnish no the small metering hole of the main jet assembly and this will be just a five minute fix. Get those peas in this week!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
Garcia (05-23-2021), Rustponder (05-24-2021), TCC (05-24-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Perfect

Thank you, Peter. Exactly what I would have said. LOL. Some years ago, I would have said the same thing. Nowadays, I forget. The rototiller has been under the house for 3-4 decades. It must be time to go electric.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
First shut off the gas supply if you have a valve. On the bottom of the carburetor there will be a bowl and at the bottom center of that there will be a nut with an adjustment needle, this is the main mixture ratio adjustment. Hold the bowl up in place and remove the needle assembly using, I think, a 9/16 wrench. If then bowl can be kept in place it will avoid you needing to replace the bowl to carb gasket and should stay there on its own.
Now, with the needle and nut assembly in hand, screw out the needle, spring and o-ring at the top of the spring. The now bare nut piece will consist of the nut and a threaded portion above it. Look in the area near where it transitions from nut to thread for a hole about the size of a pencil lead, this is where the carb picks up gas from the bowl for metering. Now go directly up from the hole and look for a much smaller hole in the threaded portion, this will be the metered hole that is adjusted by the mixture needle and most likely where you might find a blockage of green varnish. Clean it out with by running a manila tag wire through it and flushing it our with carb cleaner. Put everything back together and set the main mixture needle initially at two turns out. Once the engine has started and warmed up for a few minutes set it at wide open and then turn the main mixture needle in and out until you hear it running most perfectly. I then usually open it up just a tad (1/16th of a turn) to accommodate the extra fuel needed to accelerate. Next turn adjust the idle stop to the point you like best, and then adjust the idle mixture screw (the horizontal screw going into the side of the carb body) by turning it out until you hear the rpms drop, and then turning it in until you hear the rpms drop, and then setting it in the middle. That's it! Your problem will likely be just a bit of varnish no the small metering hole of the main jet assembly and this will be just a five minute fix. Get those peas in this week!
Seemed to work - thank you!
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links