Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default Franklin/Tilton

Franklin now has 52 cases, one of the highest rates per 100,000 people in the state, on par with Manchester. Apparently most of the cases are at a nursing home, both residents and employees. My question is, what happens when the sick employees go out into the community? Are their contacts tracked?

I'm running out of produce and need to go to Market Basket in Tilton. Tilton has a low rate of infection---but many store employees probably live in other towns, and many people from Franklin shop in Tilton. Plus that store is on 93, attracting shoppers from states south. Hard to judge the safety of a particular store just from the number of infections in that town.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
FlyingScot

Bummer to hear about Franklin. Impossible to know whether your fellow shoppers are infected, so I would go to the closest grocery that seems to be practicing good social distancing policies
Old 05-08-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
gravy boat

I believe the high number is due to most of those infected are living or working at a nursing home in a Franklin. Mountain Ridge, I believe. A few days ago there were about 50 infected there with 3 deaths. That may have changed since early this week.

Last edited by gravy boat; 05-08-2020 at 12:43 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (05-08-2020), upthesaukee (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
Chris M

I understand that it's easy to get freaked out. I still use purell after coming out of all the stores, and leave any groceries that don't need refrigeration on the porch for 2 or 3 days.

But given the infection statistics, and recover rates, I'd wager that if you refrained from kissing anyone at Market Basket :P and purelled your hands before you got back in the car your chances of harm are greater on the commute going back and forth. Not being funny, just did the rough math. Hve to keep things in perspective. Driving isn't risk free either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris M For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (05-08-2020), jbolty (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
I understand that it's easy to get freaked out. I still use purell after coming out of all the stores, and leave any groceries that don't need refrigeration on the porch for 2 or 3 days.

But given the infection statistics, and recover rates, I'd wager that if you refrained from kissing anyone at Market Basket :P and purelled your hands before you got back in the car your chances of harm are greater on the commute going back and forth. Not being funny, just did the rough math. Hve to keep things in perspective. Driving isn't risk free either.
And if people also had the courtesy to social distance and wear masks, then the risk both to you ( small though that is, apparently) and to the more vulnerable ( in particular) would be even less.

This way you can get back to your business AND help protect others in the community. This also helps keep things in perspective.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (05-08-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default The only supermarket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Franklin now has 52 cases, one of the highest rates per 100,000 people in the state, on par with Manchester. Apparently most of the cases are at a nursing home, both residents and employees. My question is, what happens when the sick employees go out into the community? Are their contacts tracked?

I'm running out of produce and need to go to Market Basket in Tilton. Tilton has a low rate of infection---but many store employees probably live in other towns, and many people from Franklin shop in Tilton. Plus that store is on 93, attracting shoppers from states south. Hard to judge the safety of a particular store just from the number of infections in that town.
You may be overthinking this. Go to a different supermarket or use a shopping service like Instacart. You can even sign up for NutriSystem. They deliver.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
You may be overthinking this. Go to a different supermarket or use a shopping service like Instacart. You can even sign up for NutriSystem. They deliver.
Never! I won't trust another person to handle my food properly.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
How many here are quarantining food? I am. I leave anything the mice can't get into in the garage for several days. Same for mail and plastic bags from the grocery store.

Anyone else discarding supermarket containers and washing everything possible before storing it? I'm even washing oranges, grapefruits, and apples with soap. Things like boxes of cereal go into a plastic box in the kitchen for a few days.

Initially I thought a friend who does all this (plus showering and changing clothes) was a bit nuts, but it turns out that a lot of experts recommend this. Very tedious. I used to enjoy grocery shopping. Now hate all the work involved.

The thing is, (a) we really have no way of knowing how many people around us are infected and (b) I intend to survive this crisis. Not my time to go yet. So I'll do what it takes to live another year.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:46 PM   #9
DEJ

I feel for you living with all this fear in your life. I hope things get better for you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (05-09-2020), Reilly (05-11-2020), TiltonBB (05-09-2020), Top-Water (05-09-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 07:40 AM   #10
Susie Cougar

I have a couple of thoughts.

I would not recommend washing your produce with soap. If you don’t feel that water can wash away enough bacteria on its own, then try adding one part vinegar to three parts water..This might make you feel better.

I know you’re afraid that this is going to last a very long time. Maybe if you’re so afraid of your vegetables and fruit being contaminated, you could switch to frozen for now.
Also, you mentioned having to take off all your clothes and shower after coming in from supermarket shopping. I have heard medical personnel say that after working with patients all day long that they take their clothes off before entering the house and everything goes right into the washing machine and then they shower. But you are not coming in close contact with anyone that has the virus like they are, even if you happen to pass someone in the store.
I know it’s easier said than done, but try not to worry so much. If you find yourself feeling particularly down, try to get up and do something just to clear your head.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #11
Macavity

I would think that individual fruits/vegetables are handled way more in a store than other things, with people picking them up and putting them back.

Plus, maybe it reduces the pesticide residue a bit, too.

We always wash them during cold/flu season at the least. You don't have to be in a store very long to see why. Or in a field.

mac
The Following User Says Thank You to Macavity For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #12
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I have a couple of thoughts.

I would not recommend washing your produce with soap. If you don’t feel that water can wash away enough bacteria on its own, then try adding one part vinegar to three parts water..This might make you feel better.

I know you’re afraid that this is going to last a very long time. Maybe if you’re so afraid of your vegetables and fruit being contaminated, you could switch to frozen for now.
Also, you mentioned having to take off all your clothes and shower after coming in from supermarket shopping. I have heard medical personnel say that after working with patients all day long that they take their clothes off before entering the house and everything goes right into the washing machine and then they shower. But you are not coming in close contact with anyone that has the virus like they are, even if you happen to pass someone in the store.
I know it’s easier said than done, but try not to worry so much. If you find yourself feeling particularly down, try to get up and do something just to clear your head.
Thank you for your ideas. I only use soap on oranges, apples, and grapefruits. Vinegar is a good idea but I probably won't go that far. I don't personally change my clothes or shower after going to stores. I have a direct medical reason for worrying about the grocery store. I follow the scientific developments and so far scientists are not relating the virus to our food supply, but many do recommend precautions. There seems to be agreement that things like plastic containers should be washed when you get them home.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:32 PM   #13
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
I feel for you living with all this fear in your life. I hope things get better for you.
Not fear at all. Just common sense. And wisdom.