Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default "Unique" Breakfast By Boat?

One of our summer goals was to hit up Ames Farm for breakfast this summer, but we just discovered they closed last Monday (sad face!).

Are there any other "unique" breakfast places our family could visit by boat? That could mean in terms of history/offerings (I've read about AF's blueberry pancakes)/etc. If not, what's the best? We've only ever been to Sunshine and Pa's and George's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
DBreskin

Farmer’s Kitchen in Wolfeboro gets good reviews although I haven’t been there myself yet.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #3
fatlazyless

www.facebook.com/centerharbordiner ....... a brief walk up the road from the town dock ....... open 6am-2pm ...... six days/week ..... closed Tuesday ....... wanna get some real food ....... is the real deal here!
Old 08-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
thinkxingu

I keep hearing the same, and the Yum Yum shop, which has absurdly good donuts, is just across the way for an appetizer!

I'm gonna go check their website for a menu right now—I was hoping to find something cool like Bananas Foster French Toast or Blueberry Crumble Waffles or some other excessively delicious breakfast/early-morning dessert options.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I keep hearing the same, and the Yum Yum shop, which has absurdly good donuts, is just across the way for an appetizer!

I'm gonna go check their website for a menu right now—I was hoping to find something cool like Bananas Foster French Toast or Blueberry Crumble Waffles or some other excessively delicious breakfast/early-morning dessert options.

Mmm. Those sound like specials, not regular menu items. You don't know the specials until the day of, except by reputation. Drifting in the broads at sunrise was always a special breakfast for me. Sometimes French Toast, sometimes cereal and juice with a banana.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:

hmmmm....I see french toast with bananas and waffles with blueberries! Opens at 5 a.m. ....get it to go and enjoy while drifting on the lake!

https://farmerskitchen-nh.com/breakfast-menu

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #7
camp guy

Default "Unique" breakfast by boat

The Farmers Kitchen in Wolfeboro is great. Just boat to the Town docks in Wolfeboro, walk up to Main Street, and the Farmers Kitchen is immediately after the bridge on North Main Street. What is "unique" is that it is just plain good food - nothing fancy, nothing complicated.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Descant (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #8
Phantom

Georges diner - Meredith !
Old 08-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #9
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
The Farmers Kitchen in Wolfeboro is great. Just boat to the Town docks in Wolfeboro, walk up to Main Street, and the Farmers Kitchen is immediately after the bridge on North Main Street. What is "unique" is that it is just plain good food - nothing fancy, nothing complicated.
Very true. Also the portions are good................often can skip lunch after that!
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Olde Bay

Olde Bay Diner in Alton Bay...One of our favorites!

Dan
Phantom (08-20-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Olde Bay Diner in Alton Bay...One of our favorites!

Dan
I've never heard of this place. Anything special to look for? We're heading out Friday AM, but we need to decide where!

Old 08-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #12
Whimsey

Default Olde Bay Diner

I don't think the Olde Bay has been open since March. Some (but not all) of the signage has been removed, so check before travelling there.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #13
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsey View Post
I don't think the Olde Bay has been open since March. Some (but not all) of the signage has been removed, so check before travelling there.
Their facebook page is active and says open tomorrow...They might have changed their hours so best to call... Great place for breakfast!

Edited to add: There is a google review from a month ago so I assume they are still open for business...

Dan
Old 08-19-2020, 02:46 PM   #14
thinkxingu

Quote:
Their facebook page is active and says open tomorrow...They might have changed their hours so best to call... Great place for breakfast!

Dan
I couldn't find a menu for it, but I did for The Farmer's Kitchen, and that looks pretty sweet...

Old 08-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #15
ishoot308

Quote:
I couldn't find a menu for it, but I did for The Farmer's Kitchen, and that looks pretty sweet...

Here ya go... https://www.zmenu.com/olde-bay-diner...y-online-menu/

Dan
Old 08-19-2020, 08:00 PM   #16
thinkxingu

Quote:
Thanks!
I've looked at both, and I gotta go with The Farmer's Kitchen. The Olde Bay Diner is just standard fare, whereas TFK has stuff like this. I like variety!Name:  Screenshot_20200819-205943_Chrome.jpg
Views: 3038
Size:  53.4 KB

Old 08-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Closed

Quote:

Edited to add: There is a google review from a month ago so I assume they are still open for business...

Dan
Olde Bay Diner business is closed and has been since March.

Word had it that the owner(s) of Dockside in Alton Bay bought the business from Donna. We've seen some activity around the diner in the past week. Haven't heard when they are planning to open and whether they plan to have essentially the same menu that has been so successful over the years, or change things up.

Dave
Old 08-19-2020, 09:21 PM   #18
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Olde Bay Diner business is closed and has been since March.

Word had it that the owner(s) of Dockside in Alton Bay bought the business from Donna. We've seen some activity around the diner in the past week. Haven't heard when they are planning to open and whether they plan to have essentially the same menu that has been so successful over the years, or change things up.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I was there last in February before a snowmobiling trip I was going on..did the COVID do them in? Sad either way as we loved The food and service there....

Wonder why google has a review of them Last month.....??

Dan
Old 08-20-2020, 05:13 AM   #19
thinkxingu

Quote:
Hi Dave,

I was there last in February before a snowmobiling trip I was going on..did the COVID do them in? Sad either way as we loved The food and service there....

Dan
Definitely weird—Google doesn't show closed, either. Also, there are new posts daily on their Facebook page with no notice of closing that I can see.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:28 AM   #20
jeffk

Downtown Grille Cafe in Wolfeboro. They have some seats outside overlooking the bay. They have a nice variety of muffins (grilled or not) for a starter and a nice menu as well. A wide variety of drinks. You order as you come in and pay, grab your coffee and take a seat. They bring the food to your table.

Farmer's kitchen is also good. Hearty food. If you are nervous about sitting near others at this time, the seats are somewhat close. We were there a few weeks ago and were comfortable but some might not be.

Menus for both are online.

We were also ready to go to Ames Farm last week and disappointed to find it closed.

I will give a Thumbs Up to the Center Harbor Diner as well. They did a complete remodel a few years ago. Very nice, good food.

Also in Center Harbor, if you are not early breakfast eaters, Gusto Italian Cafe opens at 9, Wed - Sun in Center Harbor. This place is a real gem with authentic food. They have a variety of unique breakfast sandwiches, Italian pastries, gourmet coffees, and a cozy atmosphere. Elena (from Italy) is an amazing host and Nick (a local boy, they are married) runs the kitchen. Almost everyone that goes there falls in love with the place. If you are looking for typical breakfast food taste and fast food, you shouldn't bother but if you want to slow down a bit and your taste buds WOKE, it's great. It's small and it can get busy but you can also get food to go and walk back to the town docks and sit by the lake.

Last edited by jeffk; 08-20-2020 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #21
upthesaukee

Default Yes and no.

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Dan
Yes and no to Covid. The sale of the business (structure is owned by a landlord, business leases property) was to transfer sometime in April or May, I believe. When the restrictions hit, Donna closed the diner. Bad news, for a month or so she still had bills to pay. Good news, no long hours 5-6 hrs per day.

Google reviews: I believe it was last week I got an email from Google asking me to rate and review a business I was at in late June. I had got a request back then and didn't do anything. I think I bought a can of Seafoam. Not worth my time. It was like the latest was a reminder.

Back to the diner: agreed, good food and good service. It was a place where the locals go and "everybody knew your name. ".

Dave
ishoot308 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 07:56 AM   #22
upthesaukee

Default Olde Bay FB

Added new comment: Check Olde Bay Diner FB page and you will see regular posts going back several months. Included in those posts, mainly posts about drinking coffee, are parts about Dockside restaurant, who are the new owners.

Dave
Old 08-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #23
Juiced06GTO

We hit up the Farmer's Kitchen in Farmington because it was closer to our cottage in Barnstead, same owners as the Wolfeboro location, it was great! They were great with my kids too, 3 and 5, portions were great and pricing was more than reasonable!
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:39 PM   #24
Phantom

Maybe I did not yell loud enough ----- GEORGES ! Meredith
Old 08-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #25
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Maybe I did not yell loud enough ----- GEORGES ! Meredith
Soooo, we drive through Meredith and Center Harbor on the way to camp, so I've got a problem with taking the boat to those ports...

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Phantom (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 06:51 AM   #26
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Downtown Grille Cafe in Wolfeboro. They have some seats outside overlooking the bay. They have a nice variety of muffins (grilled or not) for a starter and a nice menu as well. A wide variety of drinks. You order as you come in and pay, grab your coffee and take a seat. They bring the food to your table.

Farmer's kitchen is also good. Hearty food. If you are nervous about sitting near others at this time, the seats are somewhat close. We were there a few weeks ago and were comfortable but some might not be.

Menus for both are online.

We were also ready to go to Ames Farm last week and disappointed to find it closed.

I will give a Thumbs Up to the Center Harbor Diner as well. They did a complete remodel a few years ago. Very nice, good food.

Also in Center Harbor, if you are not early breakfast eaters, Gusto Italian Cafe opens at 9, Wed - Sun in Center Harbor. This place is a real gem with authentic food. They have a variety of unique breakfast sandwiches, Italian pastries, gourmet coffees, and a cozy atmosphere. Elena (from Italy) is an amazing host and Nick (a local boy, they are married) runs the kitchen. Almost everyone that goes there falls in love with the place. If you are looking for typical breakfast food taste and fast food, you shouldn't bother but if you want to slow down a bit and your taste buds WOKE, it's great. It's small and it can get busy but you can also get food to go and walk back to the town docks and sit by the lake.
We're at the Farmer's Kitchen now and remembered your mention of the seating. Honestly, we were immediately taken aback a bit as, other than the servers having masks on, it's business as usual—since it's in Carroll County, there's no 50% capacity restriction, making this the first restaurant we've eaten in "normally" since March.

We've been pretty relaxed about the Covid thing—99% of what we do outside of sleeping is outside—but I'll be honest that it is on my mind a bit.

Edit: they opened the door and I can feel the breeze coming in—that made me feel better for some reason. It's very weird the effect these last few months have had on my thinking.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #27
thinkxingu

Alright, my review: The Farmer's Kitchen is LEGIT. The kids' meals were $4 and came with juice and plenty of food (one got an egg, homefries, and toast; the other got a pancake and jumbo sausage). I got the Hungry Man's with apple streusel pancakes, which were perfect.

Parker's Maple Barn is my most favorite breakfast restaurant, but, and I'll need to visit another couple times before finalizing my decision, The Farmer's Kitchen may be a close second.

Interested in others' favorite breakfast places in NH.

joey2665 (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #28
DBreskin

Quote:
Miss Wakefield Diner in Sanbornville gets consistently high reviews, but I haven’t been there myself yet.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #29
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Alright, my review: The Farmer's Kitchen is LEGIT. The kids' meals were $4 and came with juice and plenty of food (one got an egg, homefries, and toast; the other got a pancake and jumbo sausage). I got the Hungry Man's with apple streusel pancakes, which were perfect.

Parker's Maple Barn is my most favorite breakfast restaurant, but, and I'll need to visit another couple times before finalizing my decision, The Farmer's Kitchen may be a close second.

https://pollyspancakeparlor.com/
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #30
mcdude

Have you tried Kitchen Cravings

https://www.allmenus.com/nh/gilford/...cravings/menu/

or the Union Diner?

http://nebula.wsimg.com/58cf35d6c6b9...&alloworigin=1

Old 08-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #31
jeffk

Miss Wakefield Diner, Polly's Pancake Parlor, Parker's Maple Barn, and Kitchen Cravings BY BOAT? Must be one of those amphibious vehicles. Maybe the Union Diner but I don't know where you can dock nearby?

We were planning to go to the Farmer's Kitchen in Wolfeboro for breakfast this morning but at 8 am the place was packed. So we went to the Downtown Grille Cafe and had breakfast on the outside deck. Delicious and a beautiful view.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #32
thinkxingu

Quote:
Miss Wakefield Diner, Polly's Pancake Parlor, Parker's Maple Barn, and Kitchen Cravings BY BOAT? Must be one of those amphibious vehicles. Maybe the Union Diner but I don't know where you can dock nearby?

We were planning to go to the Farmer's Kitchen in Wolfeboro for breakfast this morning but at 8 am the place was packed. So we went to the Downtown Grille Cafe and had breakfast on the outside deck. Delicious and a beautiful view.
There were waves. At 8 it was jammed, at 8:15-30 there were 4 or 5 open tables.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #33
mcdude

Quote:
Miss Wakefield Diner, Polly's Pancake Parlor, Parker's Maple Barn, and Kitchen Cravings BY BOAT?

oops! Forgot about the boat part

Old 08-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #34
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
oops! Forgot about the boat part
Think asked “ Interested in others' favorite breakfast places in NH.” He didn’t specify by boat, so we’re ok!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #35
thinkxingu

I love breakfast (well, food) anywhere!
We've had Polly's, and it's good, but it's not the same as it was. There was a little diner north of Tilton we went to a couple years ago that I got chicken and waffles at, and it was ridiculously good. There was also a pancake house not far from there that we tried another time. I'll try to find the names.

In the meantime, any killer breakfast places—with unique stuff/offerings—feel free to share. Please specify by boat or not, though!

Old 08-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #36
GusMan

Default Not by boat breakfast...

Hi All,

I may have posted before, but if you're on the southern end of the lake and don't mind driving a bit to (or you're travelling through) Rochester NH... you have to try Little Miss Sophie's on route 11 just west of 16/Spaulding TPK.

Small place with excellent service and a huge menu of really unique stuff...

https://www.lilmisssophies.com/menu

I can't seem to get by the home made corned beef hash (house cooked CB brisket, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onions.. like the day after St Patrick's day!) or the biscuits and sausage gravy (or both).

How about omelets with (along with he usual suspects) pulled pork? BBQ Smoked Brisket? Steak and Cheese? Four types of breakfast potatoes. House baked bread/toast?

And for the sweet tooths … many varieties of waffles, pancakes and crepes...

No affiliation... but very happy customers....

Cheers....

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #37
KPW

Default Gustos Center Harbor

Italian breakfast/lunch/bakery. I have not tried it but it has great reviews.

https://gustoitaliancafe.business.site/
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KPW For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (08-31-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #38
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post

Ok, so this fits into my "drive by, so don't find the joy in taking the boat to" category, BUT I've heard ridiculous things about this place, so I will be trying them sooner than later.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #39
jeffk

Quote:
Ok, so this fits into my "drive by, so don't find the joy in taking the boat to" category, BUT I've heard ridiculous things about this place, so I will be trying them sooner than later.

I don't think you will be disappointed. Some people are fanatic about their appreciation of the place. Remember they can be busy at their peak lunchtime. We usually try to get there early, say 11 or later, after 1. If you don't mind waiting you can get there when you want, place your order, get your drinks and relax.

Laconia Sun article link from January: Gusto Italian Cafe Article
Old 08-23-2020, 11:25 AM   #40
Mr. V

...not by boat, but still worth going to ...

The Soda Shoppe in the heart of downtown Laconia.

The basics, done right: wide menu, great service, good value.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #41
KPW

Default Gustos Center Harbor

Quote:

It is an easy walk from the Center Harbor docks. That is why I mentioned it.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KPW For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-29-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 08:18 PM   #42
camp guy

Default "Unique" breakfast by boat

Well, not exactly by boat, but, nevertheless, definitely the best breakfast. My two granddaughters from Brooklyn were visiting recently and they combined their kitchen talents to make me breakfast at home. To tell you the absolute truth, I really can't remember what it actually was - I was having such a good time watching them work together in the kitchen to make it that I truly didn't care what it was. They made it, I ate it, and, as a bonus to them, I did the dishes.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #43
LakeWinniMom

Default Benton's Sugar Shack

Drove the Sandwich Notch Road (AWD or 4-Wheel recommended) this past weekend to hike Beede Falls and check out the pond. Taking Sandwich Notch Road all the way takes you to a highway where Benton's Sugar Shack is about a 10 minute drive. Great way to spend a morning
LakeWinniMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #44
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeWinniMom View Post
Drove the Sandwich Notch Road (AWD or 4-Wheel recommended) this past weekend to hike Beede Falls and check out the pond. Taking Sandwich Notch Road all the way takes you to a highway where Benton's Sugar Shack is about a 10 minute drive. Great way to spend a morning
We drive that every fall, but didn't know about the Sugar Shack—guess we know what's going down in October!

Old 08-26-2020, 05:54 PM   #45
XCR-700

Well I didnt start this thread, but I sure have benefited from it, in the last several days we visited the Union Diner, the Farmers Table, and Georges Diner and each one was a hit with our group.

All reasonably priced, good service and good food, LOTs of food too!

The only problem with a good breakfast is it sets you up to find a really good dinner, so we can say that the waterfront Tiki Bar at the Margate and Harts Turkey Farm both delivered!

Thanks to all who posted suggestions, we appreciated them.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:20 AM   #46
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
White Mountain Boogie and Blues across the street. Awesome event!
Old 08-31-2020, 10:07 AM   #47
Patofnaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post

Seconded.

But get there off times, at noon on a weekend you may not find a seat. Breakfast may be a bit easier as they are still not fully 'discovered'. Great Italian fare. Lady that runs it is smiling and nice to everyone who comes in. Food is great.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #48
thinkxingu

Quote:
Early tomorrow AM we're heading to Benton's and then driving home via Sandwich Notch Road!

MBNeckguy (10-09-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 07:18 AM   #49
LakeWinniMom

Quote:
Early tomorrow AM we're heading to Benton's and then driving home via Sandwich Notch Road!

Hope you had a great time!
LakeWinniMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #50
C Tucker

Default Circle Restaurant - Epsom Circle

I mention this location in my town as we have so many travelers to the Wolfeboro side of the lake that use Route 28. Circle Restaurant at Epsom Circle (Rte 28 and Rte 4 junction). We are regulars each Saturday and there are always terrific specials. Recent favorites of my husband - banana chocolate chip pancakes with sausage links/Breakfast tacos.
C Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #51
thinkxingu

Quote:
Hope you had a great time!
We had a wonderful time! What a great half-day trip.