Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2020, 07:03 AM   #1
Sundancer320

Default Water filters.

Filter systems for your lake or island property. Getting frustrated with having to change my filter weekly. Have just one filter for my system and wondering if there is something else I can install for better filtration. Any recommendations?
Sundancer320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:09 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer320 View Post
Filter systems for your lake or island property. Getting frustrated with having to change my filter weekly. Have just one filter for my system and wondering if there is something else I can install for better filtration. Any recommendations?
Why do you have to change it weekly?...Is it because of sand, silt, etc, etc, clogging it up? If so you need to look at where your water intake is and move it or put it up on a stand so its not sucking in sand.

As an fyi... I could go all summer without changing filters. I have two, a 5 micron and a 50 micron. My intake is in 9' of water and on a stand...

Dan
Old 06-09-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

I only change mine once a year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
FlyingScot

I'm with Dan--if you have to change weekly, you have some sort of fundamental problem that a filter cannot solve.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Sundancer,

I see a lot of islanders with their water intakes right next to the rocks on their breakwater in 2 or 3 feet of water. Nothing could be worse! This area Is usually the warmest because of the rocks being warmed up by the sun which also causes algae growth where bacteria will and does grow. This area is also the most stirred up causing issues with filters. Water intakes really need to be in the deepest Calmest water possible away from breakwaters.

Dan
Old 06-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
Sundancer320

My line runs under the dock to about 25-30 feet out..sits in 4’ of water elevated on a crate. Doesn’t sit on the bottom and water fairly calm. Seems like it’s the typical winni brown stain on the filters when they clog up...no sediment or silt..
I am ordering new type filter to try.
Sundancer320 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sundancer320 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 05:13 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

My line runs about 65 feet out and sits about 2 feet off the bottom in about 15 feet of water. I have the charcoal filter, sediment filter, and UV chamber and that brings it to drinking quality water. I replace the filters and the UV light once a year, every spring.

This is a link to the system I have: https://www.freshwatersystems.com/pr...SABEgLT5PD_BwE

The bigger filters cost a lot more so I left the old small filter in place before the new system when I installed it. The small sediment filters are about $5 at Lowes and I change them every couple of weeks. I figured if they caught 80% of what came in it would make the big filters last all season. So far so good. It has worked well for about 5 years.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:21 AM   #8
ApS

Arrow "Maintained" Lawns Grow Algae...

I've been filtering from the tap. Only two gallons of lake water will clog a coffee filter!

I suspect filaments of dead algae.

(Water intake is 4-feet off the bottom in 8-feet of water).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #9
Kamper

Depending on how your filter is made, you can just rinse it off.

The most practical suggestion though is likely where you were advised to locate the intake to where it isn't laying in sand. A simple way to do that is to tie it to a cinder block. It may take a couple tries to get it to land with the intake on the "up" side.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Test?

Our intake is in about 8-10 feet of water and probably 80' from shore, on the non traffic side of the breakwater. Periodically we send a sample of tap water to a lab (Granite State Analytics, they'll mail you a kit) and the test results are good quality water with a small amount of bacteria, so we use it unfiltered, as we have for many decades. A couple of years ago, my daughter installed a reverse osmosis system that feeds a separate tap in the kitchen and the fridge ice maker. She's happy, and it doesn't take up space like bottled water or a filtering pitcher in the fridge.
1. Move your intake to deeper less disturbed area
2. Get it tested before you spend a lot on new filter systems.
3. I recommend a well pump that stays in the lake year round instead of messing with a jet pump that is noisy and has to be routinely replaced at inconvenient times.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #11
ApS

Red face Check Later in the Season...

Your filter's clogging may be temporary:
The lake level is still high, so wave and wake action is still pulling soil, silt, and debris from the "high-water" level. (Out from under shoreline rocks).

'Course, algae levels will increase, but that's for later...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote