Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
Born on Winni

Default Ghop

Anyone else besides us noticing a big difference at Gilford House of Pizza? Are there new owners there? I actually asked and they said no. The other night I ordered my same stand by...unfortunately they did not make it the way I asked, it was the first time for that, but the price was less than what I usually pay? While we're here what are your favorite places for pizza in the lakes region? Our #1 is Tilton House of Pizza number two would be South end pizza and #3 and trying to keep it that way Ghop! It is our down the street once a week place for takeout pizza!
Born on Winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Pizza is one of the foods I won't travel far for, but, luckily, we've got Piccolo Market and now Elvio's nearby--they're sufficiently different, and tasty, to alternate between them.

In the last year, we tried Rossi's and Giuseppe's, after a long hiatus from both, and they were very good.

That being said, I'm not very picky with pizza. The wings that go with it, on the other hand...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
Woody38

Finding that pizza is a different entity where ever purchased, we decided to make our own. Purchase a frozen pizza (cheese) or just the dough and put on whatever we desire at the time. Never wrong with the end result. As far as chains, the worst pizza we ever had was from Dominos.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default ????

What was it that you asked them to do that they did not do? Left off ingredients? 1/2 and 1/2?

When you went to pay and it was cheaper, did you question why? I've not seen the cost of pizza going down unless you normally order 4 toppings and they only did 3.

Just curious.

Dave
Old 01-22-2020, 07:14 AM   #5
Winnisquamer

Not to be that negative guy. But I think Ghop is bottom of the barrel for pizza in the area. It wasn't bad when I first moved to the area but I think it has declined over the years to where I go elsewhere.

Would agree with OP Thop blows ghop out of the water. I can just never remember they're closed Monday/Tuesdays
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #6
Sundancer320

While gutting and removing cabinets, carpet and debris from our island camp. We picked up a large pizza and took it to the house since the kitchen was removed...heated it up on an electric griddle and it was awesome! Maybe we were famished and beat from the work but after that hard labor along with a cold beer or 3 and a few slices of that pizza, it was heaven.
Sundancer320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
WinnisquamZ

Sal’s is my goto takeout pizza. Do like it overcooked and must ask for it that way. However, always good. Must mention the pizza at Tavern 27 is excellent, just a bit pricey for a takeout meal

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #8
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer320 View Post
While gutting and removing cabinets, carpet and debris from our island camp. We picked up a large pizza and took it to the house since the kitchen was removed...heated it up on an electric griddle and it was awesome! Maybe we were famished and beat from the work but after that hard labor along with a cold beer or 3 and a few slices of that pizza, it was heaven.
reheating pizza on a griddle or outdoor grill is far superior to a microwave. Makes a nice crispy crust
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Local Native

My favorite for decades have always been LHOP. Family favorite as far back as I can remember! Now defunct Paras Pizza at Busy Corner was my absolute favorite!

LHOP, BHOP, THOP are all good! GHOP has never been a favorite.

Worst pizza ever in town was Little Caesar. Glad they are gone!

I always thought leftover pizza heated in the toaster oven are the best!
Old 01-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
gravy boat

Default GhOP

Being from South "Joisey" originally, Italian pie is everywhere down there. Up here? Greek pizza. Everywhere. It's just not the same and I don't find it as tasty. Until Sal's...which we feel is the only decent Italian pie up here. And it's still not NJ or NY pie but we are fine with that as we get to live and work here and it's pretty darn good!

And then there are the cheese steaks? Shaved steak is the Philly way and best we've had was Waldo Peppers. Nothing since has compared. But ... very much open to suggestions from those from NY and NJ who have places they love up here!

Oh -FLL - Wal-Mart pizza doesn't count. I know it's reasonably priced. Especially a loaf of white bread and American cheese.

S

Begging and choosing...
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #11
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Honestly being from New York there really isn’t many pizza places I like in the Lakes region. I’ve had Sal‘s it’s OK the brick oven pizza at Wining Butcher isn’t bad Fratello’s is pretty good Giuseppe‘s is just average.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Wifi-1 (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #12
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

I have not tried any of the places in Center Harbor like Piccolo or Elvio

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:41 PM   #13
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born on Winni View Post
Anyone else besides us noticing a big difference at Gilford House of Pizza? Are there new owners there? I actually asked and they said no. The other night I ordered my same stand by...unfortunately they did not make it the way I asked, it was the first time for that, but the price was less than what I usually pay? While we're here what are your favorite places for pizza in the lakes region? Our #1 is Tilton House of Pizza number two would be South end pizza and #3 and trying to keep it that way Ghop! It is our down the street once a week place for takeout pizza!
Stopped going there over a year ago when they stopped answering their phone. Used to get food there on the way up, then all of a sudden the would never answer the phone. Started going to Village Pizza, and I think that its better that GHOP anyway. Not saying its great, just better than GHOP.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #14
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I have not tried any of the places in Center Harbor like Piccolo or Elvio

Piccolo is worth the ride if you like Italian pizza! On another note my wife and I just finished watching “The Sopranos” on Prime...talk about “Joisy”
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (01-23-2020), joey2665 (01-23-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #15
gravy boat

Thumbs up Ghop

We and some friends enjoyed take out from GHOP on Saturday night and all was VERY good.

Pizza had ample toppings and was delicious; our friends said the poppers and wings were good - the wings reminded them of Chester Fried chicken; Greek salads filling and fresh.

We will all return for sure!
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #16
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
We and some friends enjoyed take out from GHOP on Saturday night and all was VERY good.

Pizza had ample toppings and was delicious; our friends said the poppers and wings were good - the wings reminded them of Chester Fried chicken; Greek salads filling and fresh.

We will all return for sure!
Was it Take-Out? Or will you be returning?
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote