Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
Lake Winni Wake fest

Default Lake Winni Wake fest location scouting

Hi everyone,

I have been speaking with a lot of the marinas and people around winnipesaukee and we are looking for the future site of the Lake Winni Wake fest! Winnipesaukee and the New Hampshire region does not have a wakeboarding or wakesurfing festival. Whether it is in the form of a general learn to ride festival or an actual competition stop on the WWA lineup, we want to bring everyone together. Wake boarding and wakesurfing are real sports now and we want to give everyone something to look forward to. Much like all the other sports out there we want a stop in our state/region as well.

My colleagues and I would like to reach out for some assistance. We are scouting locations for the future site of the Lake Winni Wake Fest. We are looking for spots along winnipesaukee and the surrounding areas that include the following: 1. A place with public access or could be arranged public access 2. An area that can accommodate 500 plus event onlookers/ participants 3. A location that has a stretch of calmer waters for event riders.

We have been researching on our own and working with the locals to find an accommodating place to hold this event and have a few places in mind. However, it is also possible that we might not find the right situation along the outer coastline of the lake to have the event. There are regulations/restrictions to consider and agreements to be made. In this case, we want to know the spots on the interior of the lake with the calmest waters where we could link up a few long chains of boats and hold the event afloat. This has been done in other states and we might have to give it a try if it is our last option.

But before we do that, anyone that wants to contribute, please do. This is your chance to feed us information and ideas on what you want for a local/regional wake sports festival. Our main goal in this discussion is location, location, location. So, please provide us what you can and let us bring everyone together!

- Lake Winni Wake Fest
Lake Winni Wake fest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:38 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Thumbs up ....... the Weirs Beach Wake Board event!

Watching the wake boarders hit the wakes from the boardwalk high up the embankment, overlooking the water, at Weirs Beach is the place to hold it!

............... ..............

........ notice how Weirs Beach and Wake Board both have the same initials ....... W.B. ...... so Weirs Beach and Wake Boarding are a natural, go together happening!

Hey there everyone ...... We Be Wake Boarding at Weirs Beach! ......... how does that sound to you!

In order to have a good show, one needs to have a good, big audience, and that's exactly what you get by wake boarding out front the Weirs Beach boardwalk area. It's elevated, looks out to the lake, is a commercial location with no waterfront homes and is the place on the Big Lake where events like a wake board, water show, have been happening in the past.

....... wake boarding at beautiful Weirs Beach ...... and, with East Coast Flightcraft right there for support ...... www.malibuboats.com .... will be high quality, welcome addition to Weirs Beach.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-13-2020 at 10:05 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Lake Winni Wake fest (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

The wake boats are not great for the lake.

The substantial wakes created contribute to the erosion of the shoreline. The loud high mounted speakers add way more noise than a regular boat with interior low mounted speakers. Often when they start within a mile of my house it is necessary to close the windows in the house just to watch TV. The people operating these boats seem to have no idea how far the sound travels over the water.

Many operators of these boats seem oblivious to the disturbances they cause. When they set up in one area and give everyone on board a turn it results in hours of disturbance and waves washing up on shore. It is substantially more detrimental than one go fast boat passing by.

I, for one, hope this idea goes nowhere.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-11-2020), Biggd (07-11-2020), BroadHopper (07-11-2020), camp guy (07-11-2020), CTYankee (07-11-2020), Doobs41378 (07-12-2020), FlyingScot (07-11-2020), mishman (07-11-2020), SAMIAM (07-12-2020), tis (07-11-2020), Top-Water (07-11-2020), upthesaukee (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

The substantial wakes created contribute to the erosion of the shoreline. The loud high mounted speakers add way more noise than a regular boat with interior low mounted speakers. Often when they start within a mile of my house it is necessary to close the windows in the house just to watch TV. The people operating these boats seem to have no idea how far the sound travels over the water.

Many operators of these boats seem oblivious to the disturbances they cause. When they set up in one area and give everyone on board a turn it results in hours of disturbance and waves washing up on shore. It is substantially more detrimental than one go fast boat passing by.

Agreed. I don't know if it's the culture or what, but the "dueling music" competitions at sandbars are almost always wake boats, and we've had quite a few days of tubing/anchoring out disrupted by their wakes. There's some magnetic force in calm areas that attracts them.

That being said, since the Weirs is always a washing machine anyway, do it there. Or, better yet, a sailboat, jetski or boat racing, or waterskiing event.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-11-2020), Biggd (07-11-2020), FlyingScot (07-11-2020), mishman (07-11-2020), MotorHead (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
MotorHead

Quote:

I agree with you.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-11-2020), Biggd (07-11-2020), Charlie T (07-11-2020), Doobs41378 (07-12-2020), Top-Water (07-11-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #6
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

I agree also. But the boat companies will back this movement so they can sell more of these boats. These boats will cause "no wake" zones to be expanded.

Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Lake Winni Wake fest

Weirs has been one of the spots we have been considering. A place that already has noise is a good idea. The embankment overlook sounds nice. Thanks for the positive input.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #8
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I agree also. But the boat companies will back this movement so they can sell more of these boats. These boats will cause "no wake" zones to be expanded.

You’re right...I believe it was Meredith Marina that “tried” to get this going some time back...they sell wake boats, of course!
No skin in the game at the moment as I don’t live on the lake nor own a boat but I concur with what TBB said that the wake setters tend to be disruptive to “calmness” wherever they operate...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:39 AM   #9
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Winni Wake fest View Post
Weirs has been one of the spots we have been considering. A place that already has noise is a good idea. The embankment overlook sounds nice. Thanks for the positive input.
Sure, that is a low traffic area. What could possibly go wrong? What would you do? Weave through the boats lining up for the Channel or go closer to shore where you could watch peoples docked boats slam around with the hours of big wakes you create?
Old 07-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #10
Lake Winni Wake fest

We are aware of the concerns and want to be as respectful as possiblle regarding wake, etc. We encourage the development and progress of new sports for the current and up and coming generations. This post is regarding wake sports and event location, not a thread to complain. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #11
iw8surf

Quote:
We are aware of the concerns and want to be as respectful as possiblle regarding wake, etc. We encourage the development and progress of new sports for the current and up and coming generations. This post is regarding wake sports and event location, not a thread to complain. Thanks.

Too many sour elderly and negative people on this forum. You’re not going to get anything positive here. Best of luck with the event. Will see you there.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (07-11-2020), Lake Winni Wake fest (07-11-2020), Reilly (07-12-2020), Shreddy (07-13-2020), WakeboardMom (07-15-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #12
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
Too many sour elderly and negative people on this forum. You’re not going to get anything positive here. Best of luck with the event. Will see you there.
You should be thankful that there are people that care about the condition of the lake and not just about making money off it.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-11-2020), Charlie T (07-11-2020), Crusty (07-11-2020), CTYankee (07-11-2020), Doobs41378 (07-12-2020), mishman (07-17-2020), SAB1 (07-13-2020), Susie Cougar (07-13-2020), thinkxingu (07-11-2020), TiltonBB (07-11-2020), tummyman (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 09:19 AM   #13
hd333

Lots of NIMBY’s here.

I enjoy watching people wake surf listening to tunes and having fun.

Does it create waves and potentially erode the shoreline, I guess. But if it wasn’t wake setter boats the NIMBY’s would be complaining about something else.

“Too many kayakers/SUPs makes it difficult for me to return to my dock, or the nerve of the bass boats quietly passing by fishing on “my” water in front of my house, and don’t forget how dare the guy with the big cigarette type boat open it up and make all that noise, doesn’t he know I nap at 2:00 every afternoon”

Lighten up, take a breath and enjoy life.

On topic it sounds like the only reasonable option for a contest/exhibition may be to set up in the middle of the lake with a floating viewing area away form shores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #14
WinnisquamZ

Well said Biggd Thinking of a lift and new docking in the future due to the increased wake traffic here on Winnisquam. Can’t imagine what is like over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #15
ITD

I for one, enjoy my God given right, to come far away from the metropolitan areas to an area of relative quiet and make as much noise as humanly possible. Old fogies be damned!!!
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #16
FlyingScot

Quote:
Marketing BS--Corporate Doublespeak.

We want to "be as respectful as possible regarding wake"...while we are doing everything we can to sell boats that cause excess wake.

Encourage "new sports for current and upcoming generations"...while they are still too young to realize the damage this will do to the future with evermore of these destructive wakes eroding the shoreline and increasing the phosphorous count, thus making the lake less clear, less swimmable, less hospitable to fish...
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-11-2020), Charlie T (07-11-2020), Susie Cougar (07-13-2020), TiltonBB (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #17
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd333 View Post
Lots of NIMBY’s here.

Does it create waves and potentially erode the shoreline, I guess. But if it wasn’t wake setter boats the NIMBY’s would be complaining about something else.

Protecting the lake that we all love from harm that you acknowledge in your own post is not being a NIMBY. It is protecting the lake.

Please wait until someone behaves unreasonably before accusing them of behaving unreasonably.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (07-11-2020), mishman (07-17-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #18
hd333

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Protecting the lake that we all love from harm that you acknowledge in your own post is not being a NIMBY. It is protecting the lake.

Please wait until someone behaves unreasonably before accusing them of behaving unreasonably.

The complaints of noise from radios is more where my NIMBY reference cane from.

A big lake cruiser are even a pontoon created waves, that kind of is what it is.

No fun if any kind!!!

hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #19
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Moore Dam,

In the mid-late 90's we had Offshore powerboat races. Staging at the Weirs and they paraded out to the Broads for the actual races. They faded away after a few years because only boat owners could see the races and if it was windy, the spectators were uncomfortable. The Broads are likely too rough for wake surfing. Everybody wants to do something on the big lake and there is just too much competition nowadays for the open water, and or too much unpredictability to water conditions. You might have better luck at a place like the Moore Dam in Littleton where they have held hydroplane races.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-11-2020), BroadHopper (07-11-2020), Lake Winni Wake fest (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #20
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default My problem

My problem with wakeboard boats is this. I have been at anchor in a position not to impede navigation, tucked in behind an island and inside a buoy, an overall quiet place to anchor.

Several times on different days, we have had a wakeboard boat pass off our port side (150+ feet away, turn left and pass astern (150+ feet away), and then turn left again to pass to starboard (150+ feet away). So what could possibly be wrong.

It's called being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's being at the point where the eastbound boat wake meets the westbound boat wake right where our 25 ft bowrider is anchored. The resulting wave action tossed our bowrider around like a cork in a hurricane. A couple of times, we actually took water over the bow!

Wakes from wakeboard boats coming in from one side or the other can be a little interesting, but overall ok. What I described above brings a whole new meaning to "shut up, sit down, and hold on!" .

Dave
Biggd (07-11-2020), Charlie T (07-11-2020), CTYankee (07-11-2020), FlyingScot (07-11-2020), Jdarby (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #21
duocat

"be as respectful as possible regarding wake..."
If that is truly what you mean then consider restricting your Wake Sports to the middle of The Broads. That at least would minimize the damage to the shoreline itself and the personal property of boat owners like yourselves along the shoreline.
duocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to duocat For This Useful Post:
mishman (07-17-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:32 AM   #22
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I for one, enjoy my God given right, to come far away from the metropolitan areas to an area of relative quiet and make as much noise as humanly possible. Old fogies be damned!!!
And you're exactly the person laws are created for. If everyone was nice and respectful there wouldn't be any need for rule of law. But we all know that will never happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
mishman (07-17-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #23
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Well said Biggd Thinking of a lift and new docking in the future due to the increased wake traffic here on Winnisquam. Can’t imagine what is like over there.

Consider yourself lucky you're on Winniquam. I'm on Waukewaun and we have some wake boats on the lake but I'm in a cove so thankfully they don't affect me.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #24
Lake Winni Wake fest

This thread has to do with possible locations for the wakefest and the development of a wake sports community event.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #25
ITD

Quote:
And you're exactly the person laws are created for. If everyone was nice and respectful there wouldn't be any need for rule of law. But we all know that will never happen.

Sarcasm flew right over your head, lol, but all is good.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #26
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
In the mid-late 90's we had Offshore powerboat races. Staging at the Weirs and they paraded out to the Broads for the actual races. They faded away after a few years because only boat owners could see the races. You might have better luck at a place like the Moore Dam in Littleton where they have held hydroplane races.
The majority of the race boats were launched by crane at Mountain View and Silver Sands. My recollection is that the races were sponsored by Compaq Computer because the CFO had a home on Meredith Neck. When Compaq went under, so did the races.

Quote:
This thread has to do with possible locations for the wakefest and the development of a wake sports community event.
Perhaps you should hold your wakefest somewhere it would be more welcome. Many people on Winnipesaukee would appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #27
Sundancer320

Last week I watched a wake boat about 150’ from our camp do a couple of passes....the ensuing waves pounded the crap out of my Tritoon, dock and pitched the jet ski up into the air so high it came down hard with a glancing blow on top of the dock. These boats are a menace to homeowners, docks, boats and the shoreline. If they attempt to do this wakefest near our place they will face opposition.
Sundancer320 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sundancer320 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-11-2020), CTYankee (07-11-2020), mishman (07-17-2020), TiltonBB (07-11-2020), Top-Water (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #28
Mr. V

An alternative might be to use West Alton marina for launching and gassing the boats and Ames Farm as a staging area.

Forget the nattering nabobs of negativity: if it's legal, do it.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #29
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I have been speaking with a lot of the marinas and people around winnipesaukee and we are looking for the future site of the Lake Winni Wake fest! Winnipesaukee and the New Hampshire region does not have a wakeboarding or wakesurfing festival. Whether it is in the form of a general learn to ride festival or an actual competition stop on the WWA lineup, we want to bring everyone together. Wake boarding and wakesurfing are real sports now and we want to give everyone something to look forward to. Much like all the other sports out there we want a stop in our state/region as well.

My colleagues and I would like to reach out for some assistance. We are scouting locations for the future site of the Lake Winni Wake Fest. We are looking for spots along winnipesaukee and the surrounding areas that include the following: 1. A place with public access or could be arranged public access 2. An area that can accommodate 500 plus event onlookers/ participants 3. A location that has a stretch of calmer waters for event riders.

We have been researching on our own and working with the locals to find an accommodating place to hold this event and have a few places in mind. However, it is also possible that we might not find the right situation along the outer coastline of the lake to have the event. There are regulations/restrictions to consider and agreements to be made. In this case, we want to know the spots on the interior of the lake with the calmest waters where we could link up a few long chains of boats and hold the event afloat. This has been done in other states and we might have to give it a try if it is our last option.

But before we do that, anyone that wants to contribute, please do. This is your chance to feed us information and ideas on what you want for a local/regional wake sports festival. Our main goal in this discussion is location, location, location. So, please provide us what you can and let us bring everyone together!

- Lake Winni Wake Fest
Connecticut or Merrimack rivers would be my suggestion.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #30
Biggd

The Great Lakes would be even better.😁

Old 07-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #31
Descant

Default Staged, not launched

Quote:
The majority of the race boats were launched by crane at Mountain View and Silver Sands. My recollection is that the races were sponsored by Compaq Computer because the CFO had a home on Meredith Neck. When Compaq went under, so did the races.
Perhaps you should hold your wakefest somewhere it would be more welcome. Many people on Winnipesaukee would appreciate it.
Yes launched, in part at Silver Sands because Bibe Gagnon was a dealer and aficionado. They then drove to the Weirs to be on public display, and paraded to the starting line. Races were held under American PBA and Offshore PBA. Descant was a committee boat and turn three for all years of racing.
One of the reasons big hydroplanes never came to Winnipesaukee was "too rough" Same applies to wake boats anyplace there is enough room. Yes CompaQ was one of many sponsors, and a lead sponsor at least one year. We displayed related banners for the helicopter camera crews benefit as they tracked the boats on the race course. Some of the race teams also had helicopters to maintain radio contact with the driver and throttleman.

Anyway, I don't see Winnipesaukee as a great place to do this on a weekend. Maybe you could do a Wednesday/Thursday early am competition, no radios, say 7--10 am and finish with a winners exhibition for an hour on a Friday afternoon and be done by 4:00 pm.
Moore Dam is still a proven venue and should be first choice. Second choice? Perhaps there's space in Great Bay?
Old 07-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #32
Lake Winni Wake fest

We thank you for the positive input. All factors will be taken into consideration.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #33
ApS

Lightbulb Perfect Location...

Quote:
In this case, we want to know the spots on the interior of the lake with the calmest waters where we could link up a few long chains of boats and hold the event afloat. This has been done in other states and we might have to give it a try if it is our last option.
- Lake Winni Wake Fest
Braun Bay would qualify for 2 out of 3 of your requirements, and would disturb the fewest old fogies.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Lake Winni Wake fest (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 01:45 PM   #34
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Moore Dam

Like Descant said in one of his above posts, the Moore Dam would be ideal!

Good Luck!

Dan
Top-Water (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #35
Seaplane Pilot

Off topic, but the Broads would be a great place to hold the Red Bull air races. We have the airport, and we have the perfect airspace. How cool would that be?

About the wake boats....I have no issues with the boats or activity. However, when these Bozos crank that terrible music at 6:30 in the morning, I seriously want to take them out with a shoulder-fired missile! Inconsiderate A-holes....
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #36
Lake Winni Wake fest

Let’s stick to the subject please. It would be great if Red Bull would sponsor the wake events as well as a sea plane event.

We are looking for:

1. A place with public access or arranged public access 2. An area that can accommodate 500 plus onlookers/participants 3. A location that has a stretch of calmer water
Old 07-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #37
tummyman

Hearing LOUD music over 500 ft from these boats is plain rude. If you want music, fine, but keep it reasonable.

I have had mooring whips break, snubber lines break, soil erosion, etc. etc. I cannot put sand on my beach without a state permit but these boats erode the shore land all the time and NOBODY in the state gives a damn. What is so disturbing is the wake boats just go back and forth all day long. We see the same boats for hours on end. If this is such a fun experience, take it out to the main parts of the lake and not the small coves. Yes, big cruisers make similar waves, but they make one pass in and one pass out....not 50 + times a day.

There needs to be some compromise here.......
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
mishman (07-17-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 03:58 PM   #38
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Forget the irritation to some of us

Forgetting the irritation to some (including me),, if you look at an aerial view of the lake, Google Earth or even Google maps satellite view, the just isn't much out there for what you're seeking for.

The Weirs is a major crossroad for Paugus Bay, Meredith, and the rest of the lake. Going along the south side of the lake you come to Sanders Bay, heavily traveled. At the SE end is Alton Bay, 5+ miles long, but also a busy location. North of that is Wolfeboro bay, heavily traveled as well. Along the northern part of the lake is Melvin and Moultonboro bay, also heavily traveled. Going into Center Harbor, well that's a busy corridor, and at the NW end is Meredith, heavily traveled.

The Broads may be wide open, but is seldom calm, whether from boat wakes or wind, especially from the W or NW.

Finding calm or nearly calm water would be a monumental task. Add to that launching facilities and space for spectators.

Good luck with your venture.

Dave
Top-Water (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #39
Lake Winni Wake fest

This is not a thread to complain about wakes. There is a complaint section further down on the main page of the forum. If you want to help fine. You can help by suggesting some appropriate areas on the lake for a festival or event. And yes the larger 30 plus foot yacht cruiser boats cause wakes as well. And what about the mount Washington? I don’t recall that making the biggest wake on the lake. And as for erosion, I don’t recall the seasonal storms and rains to dwarf any wakes made by a few boats.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #40
DEJ

Quote:
This is not a thread to complain about wakes. There is a complaint section further down on the main page of the forum. If you want to help fine. You can help by suggesting some appropriate areas on the lake for a festival or event. And yes the larger 30 plus foot yacht cruiser boats cause wakes as well. And what about the mount Washington? I don’t recall that making the biggest wake on the lake. And as for erosion, I don’t recall the seasonal storms and rains to dwarf any wakes made by a few boats.
My response, there are no appropriate areas on this lake to do what you are looking to do.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-11-2020), Doobs41378 (07-12-2020), rick35 (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #41
Descant

Default Study Committee

There is a legislative commission that includes many representatives from many points of view studying all of the above issues. Among others, MP, DES, NHLAKES, big lake, small lake, manufacturers and sport association folks are involved. Most legislative commissions report in the fall so there is time to introduce legislation in January. Who knows what will happen this year?
Old 07-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #42
Lake Winni Wake fest

There will be. We are confident we will find a suitable location/arrangement. Our numbers keep growing each year. We are here to stay. #wakesportsmatter
Old 07-11-2020, 04:32 PM   #43
Biggd

If you throw enough money around it will happen. That's the American way.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #44
winni83

Quote:
There will be. We are confident we will find a suitable location/arrangement. Our numbers keep growing each year. We are here to stay. #wakesportsmatter
Perhaps you will find a suitable location and you may or may not be here to stay. Your ability to pursue your endeavors carries with it the considerable risk that waterfront property owners in the vicinity of your activities will carefully document by video the condition of their property immediately prior to, during and after your event and get bow numbers so that any damage will be attributable solely to your activities and thereby make your group collectively and individually liable for damages.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:43 PM   #45
DEJ

Quote:
If you throw enough money around it will happen. That's the American way.

Just like with the speed limit if you through enough money at it to NOT happen and say how dangerous and causes shoreline issues and don't forget the loons etc... it will NOT happen.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #46
TiltonBB

Quote:
If you (wake boats in general)were respectful:

1. You would turn the "music" down.

2. You would realize the erosion your boats cause.

3. You would understand the damage you cause to boats when your huge wakes cause mooring lines to break, boats to slam up and sometimes over docks.

4. You would not look for an area with calm water because those are the people least prepared to handle the large damaging wakes you create.

5. You would not set up in one area and repeatedly cause large wakes for excessive amounts of time.

The Mount Washington is no comparison. It's long rolling wake is minimal compared to that of a wake boat and it just passes by once or twice a day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
mishman (07-17-2020), Top-Water (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #47
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
In the mid-late 90's we had Offshore powerboat races. Staging at the Weirs and they paraded out to the Broads for the actual races. They faded away after a few years because only boat owners could see the races and if it was windy, the spectators were uncomfortable. The Broads are likely too rough for wake surfing. Everybody wants to do something on the big lake and there is just too much competition nowadays for the open water, and or too much unpredictability to water conditions. You might have better luck at a place like the Moore Dam in Littleton where they have held hydroplane races.
They had hydroplane races on Opechee Lake about the same time. just love the races on Opechee and Connecticut River. The offshore was awesome! When Compaq was sold the races lost a major sponsor. That is why they faded.

We tried to make a comeback on the water ski marathon. It was great until a Welch Islander tried to disrupt the last race by boating in front of the competitors. What is funny as some of the competitors were from that island! The organizers decided to hang it up. That was an awesome event!

You should try to have the event on one of the smaller lakes like Opechee, Winnisquam, or Newfound. All three have easy public access. More so than Winnipesaukee.

Good Luck!
Old 07-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #48
Lake Winni Wake fest

We need to focus on the positive. This site has too many people with crass and negative scenario opinions. I do, however, like the talk about past events and how it shows a shining light on having more events on the lake in general. We should all band together and share the love. Be happy. Everyone deserves a chance to do their passion and have it supported regarding water sports. Snowboarding wasn’t accepted and now it is in the olympics. Wake boarding and wake surfing are next. Ride the wave of change.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #49
FlyingScot

Quote:
If you want to help the lake, you will take your festival someplace else
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-12-2020), Doobs41378 (07-12-2020), garysanfran (07-11-2020), mishman (07-17-2020), TiltonBB (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #50
WinnisquamZ

Nothing but positive things on the sport of wakeboarding. The issue is shoreline erosion created by the boats wake. Unsure how it is resolved. The boats create wake at all speeds, towing or not. Do you move them out 300’? That is a lot to ask.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #51
Descant

Default Committee assignment ?

Without knowing, I'd guess the OP was assigned to find Winnipesaukee locations, and others were assigned to look into other places. So most of the posters here don't find a suitable venue that matches calm waters and crowd visibility. Some might work for one issue, but not another. The places where events have been held in the past are now overpopulated, right?
Old 07-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #52
betterthanbacon

Sounds like a great event. I second Moore Dam. I remember the races there years ago as being Much fun with lots of spectators.
betterthanbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:18 AM   #53
Arabella

Quote:
You repeatedly say you want to be as respectable as possible, so what actions do you intend to take in order to address the real issues of shore erosion and shore/property damage?

There appears to be little or no consideration here for the impact of wake action on others or our lake. The water quality of our beautiful lake will continue to degrade until one day we'll be looking around at a big mud hole wondering how we let it go.

I don't live on Winni, but I am regularly on the receiving end of big wakes hitting the shore/docks, it is as bad as people describe here. I realize the folks in the boat have little awareness of what their wakes are doing on the shore, but it is real and it is bad.

My guess is that additional legislation will come. Not because we want more laws, because people will try to solve a real problem. Just ignoring the problem will not give you the results you want.

I hope you are unable to find a location in any public lake. A private body of water built for this purpose is where this type of activity belong.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arabella For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-12-2020), FlyingScot (07-12-2020), garysanfran (07-12-2020), Top-Water (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 06:43 AM   #54
BroadHopper

Default Couple of t-shirts

Remind me of the great days on the lake. As you will notice, Make-A-Wish Foundation benefits from this!
Attached Images

Top-Water (07-13-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #55
WinnisquamZ

Great shirts

Old 07-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #56
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Was '98 the last year they had the races? We were trying to remember.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #57
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Was '98 the last year they had the races? We were trying to remember.
I believe so. Compaq had a big shakeup in '99 so they lost sponsorship.
They may have a '99 race under APBA but not positive.

I believe 1994 was the only hydroplane race on Opechee. Moore Dam was before or after. The Offshore racing started at the same time. Chrysler was the sponsor. Jack Irwin, Paul Blizzard, Babe Gagnon, and Vinnie Callahan were instrumental and getting this together! The legend!
Old 07-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #58
Descant

96, 97, 98.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:43 PM   #59
tis

Such fun to watch in the broads.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #60
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Hydroplane Races Littleton

Miss Danash II GP-929 - Gerald Theoret - owner - Bruno Brossoit - driver
Deep Water Special GP-247 - Norm Lauterbach owner - J.P. Lessard - driver
Littleton, New Hampshire 1982
========================================

Peanut GP-444
Owner: John Stauffer - Driver: Larry Lauterbach
Littleton 1981

Nothing better than having to need a crane to get your boat in and out of the water.
Loved those races! Always a great turnout! Loved seeing the “Miss Budweiser” boat which was always a Fan favorite!

Dan
Old 07-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #61
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Since no one has mentioned it I have to add that there have been racing events in Wolfeboro Bay in recent years. I shot this video at one:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-13-2020), Loub52 (07-12-2020), SAMIAM (07-13-2020), Top-Water (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #62
Barney Bear

Default That She Goes

We used to anchor off the southeast side of Welch Island to watch these offshore boats zoom by. There would be two men/women in the cockpit, which was covered on some boats.

Our family port was Madison, Insiana on the Ohio River. We would anchor out to watch the Gold Cup hydroplanes race. Wow! ��

Last edited by Barney Bear; 07-12-2020 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Type of boat corrected and additional information added.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-13-2020), Top-Water (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #63
ApS

Question Canoes Welcomed?

Quote:
Will we be welcomed to watch from our canoes?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #64
Descant

Default Fake News

Hydroplanes stayed away from Winnipesaukee because it was too rough. Totally different from Offshore racing. Two different types of boats.
Many many misconceptions on this thread about boat types, wakes, speeds, etc/ Da Capo Al Fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 06:21 AM   #65
tis

Is this for real or are you trolling?
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
MRD (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 07:33 AM   #66
Lakegeezer

Default No-wake, 500' from shore and less than 20' deep?

It is easy to pick on the ballast boats because they produce a highly eroding wake, but all wake is a problem. A recent study of water quality in the Moultonboro Bay area recommends that no wake zones should be within 500 ft of the shoreline and in areas under 20 ft deep. That's one of several recommendations to stop water quality from degrading and gain 5% improvement. It is a scientific recommendation, not a political one. The cure is too radical to be accepted, so we're faced with increasing algae and cyanobacteria blooms and lower water clarity. Will we compromise by regulating high-wake boating? Probably not.
FlyingScot (07-13-2020), mishman (07-17-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #67
lakewinnie

Quote:
Hi everyone,

- Lake Winni Wake Fest
Try Squam. I'm sure the folks there would welcome your little endeavor.
lakewinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lakewinnie For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-13-2020), Biggd (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #68
Biggd

Looks like this was the wrong place for him to ask for advice on this subject.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #69
jbolty

Quote:
lol. looks like you are getting an earful of where the members think your should have your event, isn't that what you asked for?
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #70
tis

I truly think the worst thing about the wake boats is they are going around and around in the same area. It's not like they take off from their dock, head out to the broads and ride around the lake somewhere. They repeatedly make these huge wakes in the same, usually small, calm area. They need to stay away from the shoreline.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-13-2020), Biggd (07-13-2020), FlyingScot (07-13-2020), tummyman (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #71
thinkxingu

I happened along three wakeboats yesterday. My prejudice against them continues to strengthen.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #72
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Sarcasm flew right over your head, lol, but all is good.
I learned from think, that when you are being sarcastic you add /s.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #73
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I learned from think, that when you are being sarcastic you add /s.
Only if you don't have faith in your readership!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Susie Cougar (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #74
Red apple

Love reading all the idiots posting about wakes boats and damage that have no clue. Now some of you that have posted have done there research and you can tell by the details in the response. I’ve witnessed so many non wake surfing boats do so much more damage to my beach, dock and boat along with others peoples than anything. It’s all about respecting others and there property while operating a boat period!! Done.. now be a good Captain and boat on before we all boat at a no wake speed all summer long.

Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #75
tis

Wasn't there recently a law being considered for wake boarding? Does anybody know what happened with that?
Old 07-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #76
Lake Winni Wake fest

Well, I think you guys should band together and make the boat races happen again. I’ll support the races if you support some wakeboarding and surfing. Maybe it could be a trifecta and also include the sea planes. AQUA FEST. The reality is that Winni is a big lake. If you don’t like big wakes, move to a smaller lake. If you don’t like noise move further north. Urban sprawl. It happens.

On a Lake this big I’d recommend only having a boat over 20ft. It’s a large lake and it’s where the large boats belong. 30ft cuddy cabin boats, 40 ft yachts, 23 foot wake/surf boats, the mount Washington.

In reality (to the trolls) if you are that concerned you should have a lift style dock. It gets your boat up above of the water.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lake Winni Wake fest For This Useful Post:
Red apple (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #77
AttentiontoDetail

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
scott@spradlinggroup.com / 603-724-8092
July 7, 2020

NH LEGISLATIVE STUDY CONCLUDES EDUCATION KEY TO BOAT SAFETY ON NEW HAMPSHIRE LAKES

Important Guidelines for Boaters as NH Approaches the Height of Boating Season

CONCORD - A New Hampshire legislative study commission studying the impacts of so-called “wake boats” issued its final report last week, recommending further educational efforts for boaters on topics of boating safely and aquatic invasive species prevention (“AIS)”, as well as safety legislation aimed at protecting people who wakesurf. “Wake boat” is a slang term used for boats in the towboat segment of the marine industry, known for waterskiing, wakesurfing, wakeboarding and other towed watersports. The study commission was established during the 2019 session as a result of complaints about conflicts of use on the waterways.

“The Commission was diverse in its membership, including members of lake associations, marine dealers, water sport enthusiasts, and shorefront owners. We studied the positives and negatives of “wake boats" and their resultant waves, and ultimately how best to make our lakes safer and cleaner for future generations,” said Chairwoman Suzanne Smith (D-Hebron). Commission member Senator Ruth Ward, (R- Stoddard), stated she was “glad for the opportunity to participate in this Commission. I believe our report with guidelines for prevention of AIS, responsible behavior and stressing education for all boaters, will be a valuable tool.”

Chris Bischoff of the Water Sports Industry Association, an organization representing manufacturers, dealers and enthusiasts, stated “Towboats are a growing part of the boating industry. Boaters are responsible for their wake and must operate understanding this responsibility. WSIA’s national campaign to “Wake Responsibly” recommends staying 200 feet from shore, playing music at reasonable levels, and minimizing repetitive passes throughout the day as best practices when wakesurfing. Environmental issues, like how to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species (AIS), are critical to the success of boating overall. All boats, whether a fishing boat, towboat, cabin cruiser, canoe, or kayak, have the capability of spreading AIS in waterways. The industry is committed to doing our part to educate boaters on “Clean, Drain & Dry” efforts and advancing technology to mitigate these risks.”

Peter MacCallum, of MacCallum’s Boathouse on Northwood Lake in Epsom, offered boat demonstrations and education on the different types of boats, ballasts, and propulsion systems. “Families are attracted to towboats because of their versatility,” explained MacCallum. “Folks can go for a pleasure cruise, take the kids tubing, waterskiing, wakeboarding and wakesurfing safely in these boats. With COVID-19, interest in recreational boating has been strong – with more families seeking to get out on the lake, but we have to make sure boat operators understand the rules of the waterways, especially the 150 foot safe passage law, and take steps to safely and responsibly share the lakes with others.”

Former State Representative Pam Price, an owner of a towboat on Lake Sunapee, agreed. “We have a short boating season in New Hampshire and a nice weekend means it will be busy on the water. Our safe passage law requires boaters to stay 150 feet away from all other boats, shore, swimmers, and docks. We heard expert presentations on wave energy that showed that waves from wakesurfing, if done at the appropriate distance, are no more problematic than waves from a 10-mph wind. It is critical for boaters to be educated about our laws and practice good boating etiquette. As is typical with anything, a few bad apples cause the problems.”

The Commission did not agree on proposals to define “wake boats” or establish a local petition process that would allow people to petition the State to restrict wake boats and watersports from all or part of a lake. State Representative Michael Gunski (R-Goffstown) summed up the work of the Commission, “In New Hampshire, the waters belong to all of us under the State’s Public Trust Doctrine. That means everyone has open access to our lakes and ponds. This is why we need to enhance our efforts to educate boaters and support enforcement of our laws to address conflicts on the waterways.”

The Commission’s report is available on its website. http://gencourt.state.nh.us/statstud...xtkeyword=wake
AttentiontoDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AttentiontoDetail For This Useful Post:
Descant (07-13-2020), Lake Winni Wake fest (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #78
Biggd

Quote:
Well, I think you guys should band together and make the boat races happen again. I’ll support the races if you support some wakeboarding and surfing. Maybe it could be a trifecta and also include the sea planes. AQUA FEST. The reality is that Winni is a big lake. If you don’t like big wakes, move to a smaller lake. If you don’t like noise move further north. Urban sprawl. It happens.

On a Lake this big I’d recommend only having a boat over 20ft. It’s a large lake and it’s where the large boats belong. 30ft cuddy cabin boats, 40 ft yachts, 23 foot wake/surf boats, the mount Washington.

In reality (to the trolls) if you are that concerned you should have a lift style dock. It gets your boat up above of the water.
Who's trolling who? Most of the people who have responded to your thread are not trolls. We have been on this forum long before you.
Why should people who have owned property on and around the lake for many years move to appease you and your following? I think it's more appropriate for you to look for another venue.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-13-2020), Charlie T (07-13-2020), garysanfran (07-14-2020), TiltonBB (07-13-2020), tummyman (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #79
Lake Winni Wake fest

Co-exist my friend. I hope you have a good day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lake Winni Wake fest For This Useful Post:
Red apple (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #80
Mr. V

Quote:
I think it's more appropriate for you to look for another venue. on't go away mad, just go away.
He didn't ask for your opinion as to whether it should occur, he is asking for suggestions as to where it could occur.

If you've nothing positive to contribute then please, resist the urge to tap that keyboard, or start your own thread.

Me, I could care less about wakeboarding but a lot of folks like it, it's legal, and they've as much right to legally use the lake as you do.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #81
winni83

No coexistence with your crowd and you are not a friend of most of those who have responded negatively to your inane ideas. In the unlikely event you succeed in your goal, I think you will find many video cameras recording your activities for future use and many people quite nearby in canoes, kayaks and paddle boards out to watch. Not many people will do anything to help or appease you.

Your comment about installing a lift dock or moving north to avoid the damage your group will cause demonstrates how ludicrous your statements are.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-13-2020), Biggd (07-13-2020), Charlie T (07-13-2020), FlyingScot (07-14-2020), jbolty (07-13-2020), mcdude (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #82
tummyman

From the NH report referenced earlier...

The towed water sports segment of the boating industry realizes they have a responsibility to create awareness and educate their constituents regarding any and all concerns involved with sharing the waterways. Below is a list of what the industry is currently working on.
• Wake Responsibly Campaign: In an effort to foster a peaceful environment on all waterways, the Water Sports Industry Association (WSIA) implemented the Wake Responsibly Campaign. The campaign promotes courteous behavior by boaters to ensure every moment on the water is safe and enjoyable for all. The three pillars of this educational campaign are: 1) minimize repetitive passes along residential shorelines, 2) play music at reasonable levels, and 3) always tow at least 200 feet from shorelines and docks and steer clear of parked boats and smaller watercraft.

Even the towed water sport industry segment agreed with a large portion of the comments on this blog about reducing the constant and repetitive passes, loud music, and 200 ft distances. But the original posters of this thread lashed out at shorefront property owners and elderly.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-13-2020), thinkxingu (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 06:25 PM   #83
lakewinnie

Quote:

I have a better idea. Maybe you could look farther north, and west. In fact, I'll give you five recommendations:

1) Superior
2) Ontario
3) Michigan
4) Erie
5) Huron
The Following User Says Thank You to lakewinnie For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #84
Lake Winni Wake fest

Do you have any friends or relatives that enjoy wakeboarding, Water skiing, or water sports in general of the towing kind? I am a family man and my family is athletic and we love watersports.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #85
lakewinnie

Quote:
Do you have any friends or relatives that enjoy wakeboarding, Water skiing, or water sports in general of the towing kind? I am a family man and my family is athletic and we love watersports.
OK - this is obviously a joke.
I think we've all been punked.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #86
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

A well-written (I thought) article from the Ossipee Lake Alliance

https://www.ossipeelake.org/2020/07/...-on-regulation

Quote:
The report’s evaluation of scientific data—including water turbidity, bank slope characteristics and wave dynamics—makes for dense reading. But the report is clear on one point: waves from wake boat have the potential to be larger and more powerful than those created by other watercraft of similar size and shape.
Research sponsored by the Water Sport Industry Association (WSIA) in 2015 found wave heights for wakeboarding were 43% higher than when the same boat was cruising and not towing a boarder. Waves for wakesurfing were 114% higher, using the same comparison.
In regard to wave energy (discussed in detail in the report) the WSIA study found waves from wakeboarding generated 179% more wave energy than waves from the boat when cruising, and 720% more energy for the same boat when wakesurfing.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #87
garysanfran

Where does one's freedom encroach on another's?

"Your boat is eroding my shoreline"!

"It's my right to do so"!

"But your temporary enjoyment is permanently doing damage"!

"It's my right to do so"!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #88
nightrider

Default Laws

What does the actual law say about damage caused by boat wakes? Does anyone know if has any teeth to it? Has a case ever been brought to court and been successfully litigated?
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #89
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
What does the actual law say about damage caused by boat wakes? Does anyone know if has any teeth to it? Has a case ever been brought to court and been successfully litigated?
Probably not for erosion. Anything gradual is hard to attribute to an individual boat or captain. I'm sure there are instances where a large wake caused a boat to break loose and damage resulted. Obviously rare as you have a responsibility to be sure your boat is safely moored.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:37 PM   #90
Lake Winni Wake fest

That’s right. “Anything gradual is hard to attribute.” “Boat traffic in general and waves generated from these boats contribute to less than 1% of erosion each year. It’s is the wind, the storms, rainfall, and the natural ebb and flow of the lake that does 99% of the erosion.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #91
Mr. V

Quote:
This came up fifteen years ago on the forum.

see: https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ead.php?t=1794
Old 07-14-2020, 03:41 PM   #92
TiltonBB

Default It goes on

Even as I write this, some moron in a wake boat has been in front of my house going up and down with the stereo blasting for the last hour. My best guess is that they are about 1 1/2 to 2 miles out and the stereo sound is louder here, inside my house, than I would listen to it in my car.

These wake boarders have no consideration, and I believe no realization of how many homes and families they disturb when they go out to play. Maybe they don't care. I was going to jump in my boat and go ask them to have one of their crew come over and listen to the disturbance from shore. But, I still don't think they would get it and I will pass on the confrontation.

Someone mentioned here that many people tow skiers, tubers, and other things on the lake. Yes they do, and I have done that myself many times. But, without the large wakes and loud stereos. That is where these things go overboard and impact everyone in the area.

Have all the fun you want but when it reaches a level that it consistently encroaches on the enjoyment of others and damages the shoreline it should be regulated and consideration should be given to ban it from the lake. The high tower mounted speakers should be made illegal the same as loud exhaust is. You want loud music while you play? Buy a waterproof Bluetooth headset and have at it!

Maybe the Marine Patrol could bring out the decibel meters they used to use on exhaust noise and check stereo noise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-15-2020), mishman (07-17-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #93
Descant

Default Protected coves

I think the issue is in protected coves where wind, ebb and flow, etc have always been close to non existent and coves are where people like to do various water sports. While this thread is focused on Winni, the same issues are significant on many other lakes where concerns may be even greater. On the more open waters, wind, rain erosion has basically washed everything away except ledge and granite boulders.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #94
Arabella

Like many things, it's hard to see the effects of our individual actions, good or bad. However, logic would tell me that no matter how small, my actions will have good or bad consequences and that these effects compile over time and at some point are significant.

Wouldn't it be something if we all strove to limit the negative effects of our actions, no matter what they are. If enough of us do so then we can have some real positive impacts.

To me it's simple;
wake boats = huge damaging waves, do it in the middle of the lake where the damage to the shoreline & property is minimized.
Blasting music from your boat = Unnecessary & inconsiderate, only the people in the boat need to hear your music, be respectful and turn it down.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arabella For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #95
fatlazyless

Am definitely no expert on wake boats, but it seems like they go out of their way looking for flat, calm water:

Making Waves: http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2018/...wake-boats.asp

If you don't like waves ...... say hey ..... maybe you shouldn't be having a waterfront house on the big lake.

Big lake = big waves. ...... ...... eek, it's a wave!
Old 07-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #96
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Only if you don't have faith in your readership!

Charged subject, plus smart butted post in written form not spoken is easy to misinterpret. Like I said, all good.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #97
nightrider

Default Law

I was thinking more along the lines of dock and boat damage. As someone alluded to in a previous post, the docks and moorings in the areas where these wakesurf boats want to be, are least well equipped to handle the huge waves that are generated.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #98
tis

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of dock and boat damage. As someone alluded to in a previous post, the docks and moorings in the areas where these wakesurf boats want to be, are least well equipped to handle the huge waves that are generated.

That's so true. We aren't used to the big waves they have out in the broads so we don't have the breakwaters etc.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #99
Winilyme

Default A little bit of self-governing please

Many wake boarders themselves are their own worst enemies - with selfish actions that could set the stage for an eventual decline in the sport. That downfall will be laws that regulate them to an extreme that they could have avoided by listening, understanding and modifying behaviors in response to concerns like those expressed in this thread. I've reread all of Lake Winni Wake's posts and other than a few platitudes thrown in here or there, I'm not sensing a lot of interest in, or even empathy for, the viewpoints of anyone other than those that support what he wants to do. His objective is simply to make this event happen torpedoes be damned.

The behavior of some (not all) wake boarders we are reading about in this thread is over the top. Extremely loud music, sometimes damaging wakes and relentlessly annoying back and forth passes in front of the same homeowners. Promoters of the sport need to lobby fellow wake boarders to limit these impacts such that opposing viewpoints are met somewhere in the middle. Otherwise, regulations will do it for them and then they'll be the ones asking for reasonableness. Bottom line message to wake boarders is - THINK. Turn down the volume, stick to larger open areas and avoid repetitive circuits.

I understand that Lake Winni Wake wants to keep his thread on target to his original post. But his transparent disregard for the opinions of others matches well to what I often see out on the water.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-15-2020), Arabella (07-15-2020), Biggd (07-15-2020), FlyingScot (07-15-2020), Hillcountry (07-15-2020), jbolty (07-15-2020), JEEPONLY (07-15-2020), SAMIAM (07-15-2020), Susie Cougar (07-15-2020), TiltonBB (07-15-2020), Top-Water (07-14-2020), upthesaukee (07-15-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 09:54 PM   #100
TiltonBB

Gilford man elected VP of NH Marine Trades Assoc
Nov 9, 2020 Updated 6 hrs ago 0

CONCORD — The New Hampshire Marine Trades Association elected new leaders this month to lead the association for the next two years. Boat retailer Peter MacCallum, owner of MacCallum’s Boathouse Inc in Epsom, was elected president, and John Whalley, boat retailer and general manager of Silver Sands Marina in Gilford will serve as vice president.

“Recreational boating in New Hampshire is about spending time with family and friends. As marine dealers we will continue to work with our regulators, our customers and our environmental peer groups to protect New Hampshire’s waterways for all to enjoy for generations to come,” said MacCallum.

MacCallum and Whalley will lead the organization, representing the marine industry for more than three decades. Both MacCallum and Whalley recently served on the HB 137 study commission with a specific review of so-called “wake-boats”, which recommended more robust public education efforts for boaters to understand the rules of the waterways and potential harm done by the improper operation of the boats, which have seen a rise in popularity due to the pandemic.

“Our association’s core mission is to lead as steward, in preserving the ecological harmony and beauty of all New Hampshire waterways,” said Whalley. “We intend to be a clear voice of positive guidance for families who take to the waterways of our great state to enjoy fishing, recreational sports and other fun and exciting activities. We can strike a balance between safe family activity and a healthy environment.”

Hmmm........ Selling Make A Wake boats while saying:
“Our association’s core mission is to lead as steward, in preserving the ecological harmony and beauty of all New Hampshire waterways,” doesn't seem to compute.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (11-10-2020)