Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Seeker

Default Remote car starter

I would like to put a remote starter in my 04 Avalanche, preferably using the original remotes. I found a unit but after reading the install manual online I figure the Avalance would be an antique before I got it installed. Cost is about $65 but install is probably 6 hours by a pro.

Anyone have any experience with a shop on the East side of the lake between Conway and Rochester?

My existing remote starter (wife) is refusing to perform this wifely duty anymore. Just 'cause she has a remote in her new Traverse.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
robmac

Most reputable auto sound shops install them for about 200. Try Auto-sound,dealers use them for electronics add ons and you may be able to get them to come to you.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Don't know anything about them...but close. Laconia

http://www.kellysstereo.com/remotestarters.htm
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
camp guy

It seems to me that I remember being in a conversation with several people involving remote car starters and several people had very unfortunate horror stories to tell about their experiences. One person had gone the after market do-it-yourself route, had a small engine fire, and was denied insurance coverage because it was 1), not factory original equipment, and 2), it was self-installed. Another person installed one and then decided to have the dealer "check it out" and the dealer refused citing liability issues.

I don't mean to scare you, but I would mean to suggest your thoroughly research what you are about to do before you do any of it. With today's vehicles, life is not easy under the hood. The 2004 vehicles are full of computers and processors, and the slightest of electrical irregularities might cause problems. Also, check with your insurance carrier.

I wish you good luck, but, be careful.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
MarkinNH

This isn't on the east side of the lake but, most folks I know of that have had an aftermarket starter installed have used "Van Works Audio which is now a part of Belknap Tire in Laconia http://www.belknaptire.com/car_audio.htm

Our car, purchased used, came with a factory starter in it and I have been spoiled. So now I am thinking of having one installed in my truck.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Charlie T

Default Remote starter

There are many reputable Car Stereo/ accessory dealers in the area. Pick one that is established and has a real showroom with inventory and a on site installation shop. Along with the showroom and shop usually comes manufacturer sponsered training, good work ethic and liability insurance to back up their work in case of a problem like the fire that the other poster mentioned. One thing to make sure of, Don't try to bring your own steak to the restaurant. Purchase the starter from the installing dealer, by doing so you can have a reasonable expectation that they will back up the item and installation. If you buy it on the internet and pay someone to install it I can guarantee you will be on your own if any problems arise.

Good Luck and enjoy the starter.

Charlie T
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
TomC

Default removed

i just extracted one of these from my pickup (put there by prior owner). don't know who did the install (the truck did come from the lakes region) - but it was the worst butcher-job I ever saw... maybe it was a self-install, i don't know.

the control box was just sort of tie-wrapped up under the dash, interconnection wires were stripped and twisted (but not soldered or taped), and not routed neatly nor secured/strain-relieved in any way. Just very poor workmanship. it didn't work any more, which was no surprise. I had a battery drain problem which the removal cured. The truck is a 2002, so not ancient by any means.

I am glad i ripped it out. I guess my point is to be sure you really want one of these things before you potentially hack up your vehicle.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
dpg

Don't worry about saving a buck here. I had one installed professionally two years ago and love it. Stay away from the do-it-yourself units they lack many features you may not realize. For one it most likely will not have "anti-grind" another words if you turn your key too far (and you will sooner or later) you will engage your starter with the car already running, not good. Mine will not, I can try to start my car all day (with the key) and nothing happens.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
Lakesrider

We have remote starters in all of our cars. Spoiled...Definitely.
But you have to remember to set all the controls before going inside at night.
One thing I like in my new truck is that the wipers do not come on when using the remote start function. Nothing like burning up a wiper motor when the wipers are stuck due to ice.
Great in the summer too for the A/C. Certainly if you have a dark colored car/truck. Just remember your fuel mileage may vary.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
Happy Gourmand

Default Remote car starters

You can buy them for under $100..some well under that and ATTEMPT to install it yourself. Good luck with that considering all the computer equipment in today's cars that can be easily messed up with an improper installation. Go to a reputable auto aftermarket shop, like an independent who specializes in after market stereo systems. You will pay $300 to $400 and have a full featured system with the anti grind option...and be able to use that 1 remote to lock and unlock your doors. The $ spent will "hurt" just once...or you can live with an inferior system for as long as you own the car.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
Ryan

Do not do it yourself.

I was a professional installer for 10 years at Tweeter before they went belly up. Your 04' Avalance will definintely have the GM passlock system which must be bypassed. Unless you own a multimeter or you've ever wired up a relay, forget it.

Bring it to a shop that has deep pockets - just in case. If you need some recourse, you can write to a corporate office rather that deal with a mom and pop establishment.

One other thing - most cars factory remotes are seriously limited. Before you write off the nuisance of carrying 2 remotes, take both of your keys to the car. Start it with one of them. With the other, stand outside and lock the doors with the key. Now, try the remote to see if it will unlock the doors. 90% of the cars out there CODE OUT the remote when the ignition is running. This is the same issue you would have if you tried to use the factory remotes. Your only option would be to turn off the starter when you get to the door, unlock the car with the ignition off and restart the car (read: wear on the starter). You could always just put the key in the door and turn it, but that's so old fashioned!

One last thing....if you want to go it alone, I'll provide the following from Directwire. PLease note, it's for a 2005 Avalance, but GM's main wiring tend to stay the same year over year. Always use a multimeter!

DIRECTWIRE™ WIRING INFORMATION - CHEVROLET / AVALANCHE / 2005 / Remote Start

12volts red (40A), red (40A) + ignition harness
Starter yellow + ignition harness
Second Starter N/A
Ignition pink + ignition harness
Second Ignition white + ignition harness
Notes: To avoid the check engine light from coming on and possible damage to the automatic transmission, the second ignition in this vehicle MUST be powered when adding a remote start system.
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory orange + ignition harness
Second Accessory brown + ignition harness
Keysense lt. green - ignition harness
Power Lock use 457G or 456G module
Notes: If Directed module 457G or 456G is not available, refer to DirectFax document 1601.
Power Unlock see power lock
Lock Motor gray 5wi driver door module in door
Unlock Motor tan 5wi driver door module in door
Parking Lights+ brown + driver kick panel
Parking Lights- gray/black - switch or BCM, brown plug, pin B2
Notes: The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver side dash. It has 6 plugs in it, the purple plug is on the back.
Hazards white - hazard switch
Turn Signal(L) dk. green + turn signal switch
Turn Signal(R) lt. green + turn signal switch
Reverse Light lt. green + BCM, black plug, pin F
Notes: The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver side dash. It has 6 plugs in it, the purple plug is on the back.
Door Trigger see notes - see notes
Notes: The driver door trigger is gray/black at the driver door module in the door. The RF door trigger is black/white at the passenger door module in the door. The LR door trigger is lt. blue/black, pin A3, and the RR is lt. green/black, pin A2, they are in the purple plug at the BCM. Use all four wires and diode isolate each.

The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver side dash. It has 6 plugs in it, the purple plug is on the back.
Dome Supervision gray/black + BCM, black plug, pin E
Trunk/Hatch Pin N/A
Hood Pin N/A
Trunk/Hatch Release N/A
Power Sliding Door N/A
Factory Alarm Arm arms on lock with door open
Factory Alarm Disarm lt. green - driver door module in door
Disarm No Unlock see factory alarm disarm
Tachometer white ac instrument cluster, pin A5 or PCM
Notes: The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is in the left front of the engine compartment to the left of the fan shroud. The tach wire is in the green plug, pin 10.

For tach can also go to any of the ignition coils or fuel injectors and use the wire that is NOT pink, black, or brown.
Wait to start N/A
Brake Wire white + brake pedal switch
Parking Brake lt. blue - switch or BCM, lt. blu plug, pin A7
Horn Trigger black/yellow to black - switch or BCM, gray plug, pin B9
Memory Seat 1 red + driver door module in door
Memory Seat 2 pink + driver door module in door
Memory Seat 3 N/A +
Interface Module: Category:
Required:
Yes Type:
Passlock 2
Part #: 457G, 555L, or 555T
Notes: The Passlock 2 wire colors are yellow, black, and red/white (not used).
Old 12-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
camp guy

So, Ryan, tell us how you really feel !

Based on the general tone of all the answers, Seeker, I'd say you have your answer.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
Seeker

There is no way I would attempt this installation on my own, that's why I'm looking for a quality shop. Even though I've built and repaired a lot of electronics on boats and late model Vettes this I won't touch.

Seems I had a little help from some friends recently as I went to get a sticker yesterday and after plugging the scanner into the diagnostic port - nada, zip, no signal at all. Popping the large cover off the fuse box revealed about a years supply of sunflower seeds, etc. and a nibbled on fuse. So Monday a.m. off to the Chevy dealer. Hopefully just one wire chewed as everything in the car works.

If that goes well and there is any money left there is a shop down the street (No Conway) that does high end home and car audio as well as remote starters so I can at least get a quote.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
sluggo

Ive been a auto mechanic for 30 years and have installed many of the remote starter set ups. I suggest having the dealer install the unit. The after market ones gave us nothing but trouble to set up and program. Also the auto security systems on the newer cars and trucks create issues with the after market auto starts. Good luck and merry christmas
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
Belmont Resident

Default I’d suggest Kelly’s Stereo.

I’ve had installations done on two vehicles and have had no problems.
I actually just had a problem with my truck remote starter and went to have it checked.
I was surprised to find out that the system has a lifetime warranty on all but the remote.
Checked out the whole system found a bad antenna wire, replaced it and it works great now.

Expect to pay from 400 to 600 for a unit installed. I’m not sure if they will install something they didn’t sell and if they did I doubt it would come with any warranty.

I’d be careful of Belknap tire. I’d used them for years and then started having problems with the quality of work. They cut corners on brakes I had installed on my truck.
My wife went in for a flat tire and ended up with 4 new tires. They told her the spare tire was frozen in place. It turned out they never even tried to get the spare down because when I finally got around to checking it out there was nothing wrong with the lowering system at all.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #16
fatlazyless

How's about for a manual transmission car....can that get a remote starter....because the clutch pedal has to be depressed in order to start? A manual transmission car has no "park" position.

What ever happened to asking your wife or girlfriend to go run outside and start it up: "Hey Honey.....do me a favor & go run outside & ..."

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-17-2010 at 07:30 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
Belmont Resident

Default Yes

There are options for manual transmission vehicles. Many new vehicles have an override or must be left in neutral when parked to work. But it can be installed at least on many of the newer ones but it is more expensive. I know I could have gotten one on my 97 T100.
Best damn truck I’ve ever owned. Better than this American made in Mexico/Canada crap.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #18
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I’ve had installations done on two vehicles and have had no problems.
I actually just had a problem with my truck remote starter and went to have it checked.
I was surprised to find out that the system has a lifetime warranty on all but the remote.
Checked out the whole system found a bad antenna wire, replaced it and it works great now.

Expect to pay from 400 to 600 for a unit installed. I’m not sure if they will install something they didn’t sell and if they did I doubt it would come with any warranty.
I bought a new Toyota 3 years ago at Irwins. I bought a remote starter and wanted to get it installed. Irwin's doesn't do it but they send all their business to Kelly's. I've had no issues.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #19
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
How's about for a manual transmission car....can that get a remote starter....because the clutch pedal has to be depressed in order to start? A manual transmission car has no "park" position.
I installed a remote starter in my 1990 Honda accord 5-speed in college (Yes, I had a car from the 90's and attended college in that same decade).

It works a bit differently. You essentially need to "set up" the car before you exit. After you've parked, put the car in neutral and applied the emergency brake, you need to use a toggle switch to put the car into what was termed "Pit stop mode". This is essentially like activating the remote starter while the car is still running and key in the ignotion. Once pit stop mode is enabled, you can remove the key and step out of the vehicle while it is still running. Once you're out of the vehicle with the car running (i.e. foot is off the clutch, so car must be in neutral) you turn the car off the same way you would start the car remotely, then lock the doors with the remote. Next time you go to start the car, it will be exactly as you left it (parking brake on, in neutral). The starter will NOT work if you were to unlock the doors before starting the car. This would signal to the starter that somebody had entered the car and could have possibly shifted the lever into gear.

Also, depressing the clutch pedal doesn't really do anything but activate a switch - during the start process. This can easily be bypassed with a relay.

If all goes well, you can drive to McDonalds in a nice warm (or cool) car!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #20
Lakesrider

I had one installed in a 2006 Dodge Ram once. Had to buy a new remote because they needed the chip in the remote to be close to the ignition. $160.00 for the remote alone. Something else to think about.
My new 2009 Dodge Ram did not need this.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #21
Ryan

There are multiple new products to the market that no longer require you to lose a key that are much less expensive than going to the dealer and buying a new coded key. GM's are no exception to this. They have modules that you can "flash" to bypass the passlock system.

I remember the first starter I did that had a chip in the key. I believe it was a 1998 Honda Accord. While on the phone with technical support for hours, they finally presented me with the solution. "Butcher the key".

No lie - I had to literally cut the key open and remove the tiny glass cylinder, wrap it 15-20 times with 28 gauge wire, run the wire around the key cylinder and run it to a relay to activate when the car was remotely started!

Given it took 2 days to finish that job, I lost money in that deal!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #22
wifi

Got a remote starter from Chinamart, installed it myself on a manual PU truck years ago, during the summer (get real ). Bypassed the clutch switch, worked great, except two times I forgot to take it out of gear.

First time it hit a tree before taking out a car on the other side, second time it hit a snow bank before heading into the lake Be careful on the safety bypasses...
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
John A. Birdsall

Default remote car starters

While these sound good, if they are self installed, I would make sure that it could not start one when it is in gear. I know of one that was showing off there remote capabilities and the truck was facing the lake, in gear and it did start. Truck had a final bath.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #24
No-Mo-Shun

Angry More Air Pollution

According to Click and Clack, The Tappet Brothers, you will be treating your engine more kindly by putting it in gear within a minute or so after starting and driving away slowly. Let's also discuss the amount of carbon dioxide you are adding to the atmosphere by idling a cold engine for 15 or 20 minutes after starting. Perhaps it is better to bite the bullet and sit on that cold seat and tough it out.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #25
Happy Gourmand

Default NO cold seats..

...I turn on the seat heaters before I shut the motor down!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #26
songkrai

Some newer cars and trucks offer this as a factory installed option.

Some people have had wonderful experiences with aftermarket remote starters. So listen to them.

Me, I would never put one in any car at any time. Too much can go wrong. They tap into/splice into the main wiring of car/truck. Over time, issues do and can develop. Moisture, dirt, vibrations etc.

I bought one used car with an aftermarket remote starter and it did work fine. And it came with a LIFETIME WARRANTY. How can you beat that?

Except the lifetime warranty was with Circuit City.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote