Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
XCR-700

Default Air Tour of Winnipesaukee

Sorry, not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll take a shot and the admin can move it if needed.

Wondering if there is still any one conducting float plane tours of Winnipesaukee? I know where was one from Paugas Bay for years.

Any help is appreciated.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Sorry, not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll take a shot and the admin can move it if needed.

Wondering if there is still any one conducting float plane tours of Winnipesaukee? I know where was one from Paugas Bay for years.

Any help is appreciated.
XCR, these are the only ones I’m aware of..... https://seaplanetours.net

Their service is currently closed due to COVID.

I did a seaplane ride out of Paugus during my very first visit to the lake almost 30 years ago. It was quite the treat! My full-time job had me flying on a helicopter daily but there’s just something extra thrilling about a takeoff and landing on the water! Hope you can find a ride!
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,722 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdarby View Post
XCR, these are the only ones I’m aware of..... https://seaplanetours.net
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 09:14 PM   #4
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:

Any help is appreciated.
To my knowledge no one does it anymore, but I could be wrong.

I seem to remember that the cost of insurance liability was quite high and that may have made the service stop.

By the way, I tried to take the plane tour out of Paugus Bay about 30 years ago on a very hot, and extremely humid day with my elderly father and my young daughter. Wouldn't you know it; the pilot was unable to get the plane off the surface due to the humidity (or so he claimed), took us back to the dock, I got off, and the plane then took off just fine! He said if we were on salt water then he wouldn't have had an issue with me riding on the plane that day. Go figure!

Last edited by TheTimeTraveler; 07-26-2020 at 05:48 AM.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
XCR-700

Quote:
My full-time job had me flying on a helicopter daily
Too funny, in my youth I had a friend who was a helicopter mechanic, and I had always wanted to be a helicopter pilot, but was told time and time again by the guys who were flying at that time, that only the ex military pilots can get work, so I never pursued it.

What kind of work were you doing that you got shuttled by helicopter, oil industry?

Many thanks for the link, too bad they are not operating, but maybe they will be again soon,,,
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
XCR-700

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Yup, looks like just what I am hoping for, when they reopen,,,

THANKS!
Old 07-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #7
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
To my knowledge no one does it anymore, but I could be wrong.

I seem to remember that the cost of insurance liability was quite high and that may have made the service stop.

By the way, I tries to take the plane tour out of Paugus Bay about 30 years ago on a very hot, and extremely humid day with my elderly father and my young daughter. Wouldn't you know it; the pilot was unable to get the plane off the surface due to the humidity (or so he claimed), took us back to the dock, I got off, and the plane then took off just fine! He said if we were on salt water then he wouldn't have had an issue with me riding on the plane that day. Go figure!
Actually what I know about aircraft, that makes some sense. High heat and humidity impact engine power and when you are near you maximum weight limit it impacts takeoff. So shedding just a few pounds can make the difference between taking off or not,,,

I think they were probably being honest with you. Its just unfortunate it didnt work out as expected, but I think you also were very generous to get off and let your daughter and father take the trip, thats exactly what I would do, and with no regrets if it worked and they had a good time. I'll bet they enjoyed it and it created a lasting memory!
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 11:04 PM   #8
Tuckntruck

Quote:
Actually what I know about aircraft, that makes some sense. High heat and humidity impact engine power and when you are near you maximum weight limit it impacts takeoff. So shedding just a few pounds can make the difference between taking off or not,,,

I think they were probably being honest with you. Its just unfortunate it didnt work out as expected, but I think you also were very generous to get off and let your daughter and father take the trip, thats exactly what I would do, and with no regrets if it worked and they had a good time. I'll bet they enjoyed it and it created a lasting memory!
It certainly does, Humidity and temperature have the effect of raising the in the easiest of terms, apparent altitude of the airplane. Performance decreases markedly with altitude.

That was most likely the Aeronca Sedan flown by Emerson if they met you at burger king. That airplane had 65? Hp (it's been a while) Depending on the chop, (calm/glassy conditions made that one tough to get off the water sometimes) temp, and humidity sometimes in a light plane like that, it's just not happening.
Tuckntruck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuckntruck For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Actually what I know about aircraft, that makes some sense. High heat and humidity impact engine power and when you are near you maximum weight limit it impacts takeoff.
It has more to do with available lift than the performance of a reciprocating engine.

Humidity affects the way an airplane flies because of the change in pressure that accompanies changes in humidity. As the humidity goes up, the air pressure for a given volume of air goes down. This means the wings have fewer air molecules to affect as they are pushed through the airmass. Fewer molecules = less lift.

https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae652.cfm
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #10
Jdarby

Quote:
Too funny, in my youth I had a friend who was a helicopter mechanic, and I had always wanted to be a helicopter pilot, but was told time and time again by the guys who were flying at that time, that only the ex military pilots can get work, so I never pursued it.

What kind of work were you doing that you got shuttled by helicopter, oil industry?

Many thanks for the link, too bad they are not operating, but maybe they will be again soon,,,
Civilian MEDEVAC. I worked full-time as a Flight Medic for 18 years. Worked in CT and NY but flew all over New England. Did missions in all the New England states except ME. Still work in the industry but now in the administrative side. Waking up at 3am on a 24hr shift to jump on a helicopter is for the young! Saw some amazing and some terrible things. But, once in awhile we really made the difference for someone. That’s what kept you going!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (07-26-2020), Descant (07-26-2020), Top-Water (07-26-2020), XCR-700 (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #11
XCR-700

Thumbs up

Small world, I work for the US DOT and most of my career has been supporting the FAA, and I've had some exposure to HEMS.

My group was responsible for creating the electronic MMEL's and the FSIMS system for the FAA Flight Standards ASI's

HEMS is tough and dangerous work. A truly noble profession.

Kudos for making 18 years in the air, that is an amazing record.

I cant imagine what you have seen and experienced and suffered through over the years.

Many Thanks for you service, it is truly one of the under-recognized public services that few think about, but when you need it, it is a life saving godsend.

ATB
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #12
Jdarby

Default Air Tour of Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Small world, I work for the US DOT and most of my career has been supporting the FAA, and I've had some exposure to HEMS.

My group was responsible for creating the electronic MMEL's and the FSIMS system for the FAA Flight Standards ASI's

HEMS is tough and dangerous work. A truly noble profession.

Kudos for making 18 years in the air, that is an amazing record.

I cant imagine what you have seen and experienced and suffered through over the years.

Many Thanks for you service, it is truly one of the under-recognized public services that few think about, but when you need it, it is a life saving godsend.

ATB
Thank you for the kind words. I moved into our Safety Department a little over 10 years ago. So I now have a little over 28 years in the industry. We’re a large operator with about 330 aircraft in our medical fleet nationwide. I lost a couple of friends in crashes over the years and wanted to start doing something to stop those losses. Everyone flying those missions deserves to come home at the end of their shift. I hope you find your seaplane ride! Be well!

Last edited by Jdarby; 07-26-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #13
ApS

Question Rides...?

Quote:
Yup, looks like just what I am hoping for, when they reopen,,,

THANKS!
He just flew over. Check today.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
He just flew over. Check today.
Oh, outstanding, we have family coming again in late August, so there may be hope to get some of them up for a ride!

Many Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #15
Jdarby

Quote:
Oh, outstanding, we have family coming again in late August, so there may be hope to get some of them up for a ride!

Many Thanks for the heads up!
XCR...let us know how it goes! That’s a great idea for visitors and I wouldn’t mind the experience again myself!
Old 07-31-2020, 05:10 PM   #16
XCR-700

Quote:
XCR...let us know how it goes! That’s a great idea for visitors and I wouldn’t mind the experience again myself!
Me too.

If I pull it off, I'll post pictures.

With a big grin!

Thanks - george