Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2023, 07:30 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Rollover Rt 93-north, Ashland NH

Yesterday, March 25, about 6-pm, got to watch a big black Honda Pilot with Mass plates going very fast up the iced slush slippery, left hand lane on a straight section of Route 93 in Ashland and instantly, totally loose its' grip on the slush ice and do a wild roll over to the left, just off the road on the grass shoulder. It must have been going about 80-mph. I was going a much more safe and slow 35-mph in the right lane which had better traction with less slush ice. The left lane was much worse with slush ice and this big Honda was going super fast for these conditions.

At one point the entire black Honda was straight vertical up in the air with the front bumper down on the ground and the rear bumper high up top before it landed upside down and remained upside down. That was wild. Such a crazy fool to be driving like that, 80-mph, on a ice covered, slush slippery road.

Way-to-go, buddy, put the pedal-to-the-metal on a super-slushy ice road like that was not too smart ........ duh! ......
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:08 AM   #2
The Real BigGuy

So, did you stop to help and call the police?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:51 PM   #3
John Mercier

Hopefully everyone was OK.
Not to blame DoT or the local DPW, but the road conditions during even these small events have been hit or miss.
I only travel a short distance on 106, Meredith Center, and 104... but some sections are very well done and other not... and which sections seem to change each storm.
I think those departments may be being overtaxed on their resources with the funky weather we've had.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:45 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

Always said, the NHDOT does a terrific job cleaning up after a storm. But, pretreatment is non existent.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:23 PM   #5
8gv

Driving too fast for conditions... exemplified.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2023, 07:47 PM   #6
ApS

Exclamation Speed Throws in a Multiplier...

I remember when these were called "accidents". Then, with the advent of SUVs, they were called "rollovers". Today all mishaps on the highways are called "crashes". The terms "rollovers" and "crashes" seem to imply that nobody is at fault--so the new terms are friendlier.

Getting a little out of shape on frozen water with a top-heavy vehicle can't end well. Superior traction with the best tires can "find grip" at a most inopportune time.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:08 PM   #7
fatlazyless

The right lane was slush covered but had two black pavement slots from cars driving through, which made it better than the left lane which was totally slush covered so's the black Honda Pilot was a trail breaker. It was breaking trail by driving over slush covered pavement at 70-80-mph where no cars had gone before

https://twitter.com/nhdoti93?lang=en ..... shows a few different crashes on both sides of Rt 93, north and south.

About three minutes further north I saw a state police car moving south, with blue lights, and assumed it was going to this roll over situation?
Old 03-27-2023, 06:57 AM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

The increasing number of vehicles with all wheel drive and anti-lock brakes has given some drivers a false sense of security. Instead of spinning your wheels in snow or ice, accelerating with a RWD car, you can now get up to your desired speed more easily. SUV's are more top heavy and more subject to a rollover when in a crash.

The good news is your chances of survival when belted in a car with airbags are much greater than in the vehicles of 20 or 30 years ago. It is still surprising that more people do not use their seat belts. When you have an accident and get ejected from the vehicle your chances of survival are drastically lower. Impacting a tree head first never has a good outcome!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:04 AM   #9
camp guy

Default Rollover Rt 93

A really simple "formula" for driving in bad weather is to apply the Rule of Two:
Cut your speed in HALF 1/2, and DOUBLE your distance to the next vehicle 2x.

This is not higher math, it is common sense.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-27-2023), bigdog (03-28-2023), fatlazyless (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 10:16 AM   #10
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
...When you have an accident and get ejected from the vehicle your chances of survival are drastically lower. Impacting a tree head first never has a good outcome!
Sit in your car and ponder which "opening" to the outside you might pass through on the way to that tree, and which part of you (likely your head) will go out first, clearing the way for the rest of you to follow. Maybe windshields are made for easy removal by "head-butting." Then imagine the process of the rest of you getting "straightened out" so as to pass through that opening behind your head. Don't worry about the tree. There's a good chance you'd be dead or mostly so before you reach the tree.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (03-27-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 06:35 AM   #11
Dick52

Default We have all done stupid things?

I will wager all of us have done something stupid from time to time. Most of us are lucky to have survived our teenage years.

Unkind to mock someone who lost control of their car and rolled over. Sure the driver was careless but to turn someones misfortune and flirtation with death speaks more to the writers character than it does to the driver of that car.

Did FLL stop and see if the person was ok? Offer any aid?

I guess the FLL feels they deserved it after all they are a crazy fool AND from Mass too!?
Dick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dick52 For This Useful Post:
Descant (03-28-2023), ishoot308 (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 07:39 AM   #12
8gv

Driving too fast for conditions endangers other people as well.

While I cannot assume thoughts that exist in another poster's head I will admit that I sometimes have a stray thought that says someone got what they deserved.

Empathy directed at the passengers in the wreck seems reasonable.

For the driver?

Not so much!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:30 AM   #13
ApS

Arrow Alas, the Days of The Good Samaritan Have Been Crushed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick52 View Post
I will wager all of us have done something stupid from time to time. Most of us are lucky to have survived our teenage years. Unkind to mock someone who lost control of their car and rolled over. Sure the driver was careless but to turn someones misfortune and flirtation with death speaks more to the writers character than it does to the driver of that car.

Did FLL stop and see if the person was ok? Offer any aid?

I guess the FLL feels they deserved it after all they are a crazy fool AND from Mass too!?
Workers at SCCA race courses are expected to run to roll-overs carrying a fire extinguisher and a knife. Earlier, drivers and workers had all signed "hold-harmless" agreements to protect us from lawsuits. The knife was to cut the six (!) seatbelts holding the driver. We were cautioned to support the driver, as they would otherwise fall on their heads!

With trained "First-Responders" promptly on their way, it'd be better to keep one's car and body away from the speedsters approaching the scene in slushy conditions.

Plus, there's probably someone video-taping the "crash" to benefit Morgan & Morgan, Esq.

The days of The Good Samaritan have ended...
Old 03-28-2023, 11:17 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Hey there ..... no, I was happy to get the hell away from that Rt 93 roll over ..... and just thankful the flying Honda did not fly smack into my car, a Subaru. The Honda pilot did a fast forward somersault and rolled to the left onto the left shoulder. If it had rolled right, it maybe could have struck my car.

I was in the right lane doing 35-mph on the two black pavement grooves in the slush. The other car, a black Honda Pilot was flying past me in the left hand lane, doing 75-mph or something when it just did an instant somersault about 200' up front me, and I could see it up in the air for a couple seconds as I drove past, and then it lands upside down on the grass shoulder. I could see it in my right outside mirror. It was wild and all happened in seconds. I was thinking "yikes, holy smokes" and was a couple hundred yards up the road by then at the front of a line of three cars in the right lane.

This wrecked late model black Honda Pilot was most likely totaled with a crushed roof or something and is maybe located at an Ashland NH car wreck lot or somewhere. Maybe is at Rusty's in Tilton? Would be interesting to see a photo of this car after the smash-down and hear what happened to the driver and any passengers.

The link .... https://twitter.com/nhdoti93?lang=en .....from Rt-93, NH-DOT twitter doesn't go into any details but it was probably "Mar 25 Incident - Ashland I-93 Mile 78.6 Left lane closed" because there was another car, a Volkswagen that went off the road just a couple miles south that did not do a roll over, up top the hill, close to where the wind sock used to located.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:46 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

I'm under the impression that "modern" cars are built so the passenger compartment is protected and the front and back absorb the force of an impact. Nevertheless, crash tests are done at 35 mph or 40 mph depending on who is doing the test. That's going into a solid wall. They apparently don't test for rollovers or an impact of two vehicles with a combined approach speed that could easily be over 100 mph. The accident in question is scary just to think about.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:50 PM   #16
ApS

Cool 'Just Came Up...!

New Google video of similar "incident":

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2023/0...og-orig-aw.cnn
Old 03-29-2023, 06:15 AM   #17
Dick52

Default Good samaritan...protected by law

Anyone with a conscience would have stopped and offered whatever aid they could reasonable do. 100% they should have been the first 911 call and if they could have checked the driver and any passengers well being then they should have. Unless it put their life at risk...thank God there are those out there that will risk their life to help another but I understand we are not all made that way. Suppose the car caught fire or if there was a toddler/baby in there the could be saved and this person just drove past laughing because the driver deserved it. Cleary he could not HAVE CARED LESS!

I once saw a women driving at high speed zigging and zagging in and out of traffic. She was maybe 1/2 mile ahead when she lost control, hit and skidded sideways across 93. She was an IDIOT...by the time I got to her car there were already 3 cars that stopped to help her. That is what we do in a civil world.

We are not talking about some jerk speeding and getting pulled over and then gloating over it.

Anyway...good samaritans are protected by law...so if you can help.

RSA 508:12
New Hampshire's general Good Samaritan law is RSA 508:12, I, Aid at Scene of Emergency or to Victim of Crime. Good Samaritan laws exist in most states and are meant to encourage people who witness emergency situations or crimes to help injured parties or victims. The laws do this by giving immunity from suit for liability that might otherwise be imposed on those bystanders who voluntarily provide help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Workers at SCCA race courses are expected to run to roll-overs carrying a fire extinguisher and a knife. Earlier, drivers and workers had all signed "hold-harmless" agreements to protect us from lawsuits. The knife was to cut the six (!) seatbelts holding the driver. We were cautioned to support the driver, as they would otherwise fall on their heads!

With trained "First-Responders" promptly on their way, it'd be better to keep one's car and body away from the speedsters approaching the scene in slushy conditions.

Plus, there's probably someone video-taping the "crash" to benefit Morgan & Morgan, Esq.

The days of The Good Samaritan have ended...
Dick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:36 PM   #18
ApS

Arrow Call 911, But Leave Interstate Emergencies to Trained Young Men...

Just at the time it happened here, a woman lost control of her Honda, which leaped a Jersey Barrier, and killed eight construction workers in MD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick52 View Post
Anyone with a conscience would have stopped and offered whatever aid they could reasonable do. 100% they should have been the first 911 call and if they could have checked the driver and any passengers well being then they should have. Unless it put their life at risk...thank God there are those out there that will risk their life to help another but I understand we are not all made that way. Suppose the car caught fire or if there was a toddler/baby in there the could be saved and this person just drove past laughing because the driver deserved it. Cleary he could not HAVE CARED LESS!

I once saw a women driving at high speed zigging and zagging in and out of traffic. She was maybe 1/2 mile ahead when she lost control, hit and skidded sideways across 93. She was an IDIOT...by the time I got to her car there were already 3 cars that stopped to help her. That is what we do in a civil world.

We are not talking about some jerk speeding and getting pulled over and then gloating over it.

Anyway...good samaritans are protected by law...so if you can help

RSA 508:12
New Hampshire's general Good Samaritan law is RSA 508:12, I, Aid at Scene of Emergency or to Victim of Crime. Good Samaritan laws exist in most states and are meant to encourage people who witness emergency situations or crimes to help injured parties or victims. The laws do this by giving immunity from suit for liability that might otherwise be imposed on those bystanders who voluntarily provide help.
This scene is a roll-over. You should approach carrying a fire extinguisher. (I carry one everywhere). I also have "First Responder" credentials for such circumstances; however, this training long-preceded hybrid vehicles (which have a higher incidence of fiery accidents) and the use of NARCAN, in the event of a Fentanyl courier. (Especially now, where half of vehicle crashes involve illegal drugs and alcohol).

FLL didn't have the advantage of a half-mile to observe the calamity. He would have slushy lanes to cross, with the possibiliy of having to back up near high-speed traffic passing in the icy lane.

Sure, pull over on secondary road incidents to help, but don't get in over your head on icy Interstates--where traffic can be traveling at posted summer speed limits. (Or much greater).

From Google:

Quote:
"The important part to remember about being a Good Samaritan is that the laws won't protect you if your actions were reckless or careless in any way. You can still be sued for civil or criminal damages if your help actually made the situation worse or injured the person further."
With an inverted car, the Good Samaritan would release the driver, only to have the driver further injure--or worse--break their neck!

Is FLL of an age capable of safely lowering a stunned occupant weighing, say, 185 pounds?

In today's litigious atmosphere of Morgan & Morgan, Esq., you also won't be protected against allegations of inappropriate behavior...

ETA:

Quote:
NHTSA conducts frontal, side and rollover tests because these types account for the majority of crashes on America's roadways.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings#:~:tex...9;s%20roadways.

Last edited by ApS; 04-03-2023 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Add rollover details conducted since the ascendancy of SUVs...
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (04-07-2023)