Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts
Default Coyote Image, An Expert's Opinion

Earlier this month I posted this image:

I stated that it was a Coyote and some folks here thought I was wrong. Some said it was a Coy-dog or a Northern Wolf and some said it was definitely not a Coyote.

Although I am a wildlife photographer, my focus is on birds. I am certainly no expert on Coyotes or Wolves. So, I decided to forward the image to an expert for his opinion and he was kind enough to share his expertise with me.

Below is his reply to my query regarding I.D. of the animal in this image:

Hi Paul,

The animal photographed, in this magnificent photo, is an eastern coyote. Eastern coyotes have wolf genetics, thus is a "cross" considering an evolutionary biologist stand point.

My identification is based on the ear to head proportion, head size, nose shape and ear shape. I also used the beech leaves as an approximate scale.

Given the animals robust size and body shape I can understand why some would believe the animal is wolf. However it is not the body size and shape that assist biologist with wild canid identification. Given that eastern coyotes are a cross of western coyote/wolf genetics, a large coyote can look wolf like and a small wolf can look coyote like. Thus, biologist look at the details I used above.

Another identifier of coyote versus wolf is the animals tail use when moving. Wolves point the tail straight out when moving, eastern coyotes keep the tail down. I could not use this identifier as it appears the animal was standing still when photographed.

Sincerely,

Patrick Tate
New Hampshire Fish & Game Department
Furbearer Project Leader
Region 3 Wildlife Biologist
225 Main St, Durham NH, 03824
beagle (12-30-2010), Grant (01-03-2011), gravy boat (12-31-2010), jeffatsquam (12-29-2010), Jonas Pilot (12-29-2010), lawn psycho (01-05-2011), MarkinNH (12-30-2010), Nagigator (12-29-2010), Newbiesaukee (12-30-2010), Pepper (12-30-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (01-13-2011), SteveA (12-29-2010), VitaBene (01-04-2011), Yosemite Sam (12-29-2010)
Old 12-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Nagigator

Default good to know..........

Great clarification! Kind of a relief, knowing there are no wolves in the area, we have plenty of wildlife to go around!
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yeah I was perusing around the gallery section and came across another photo that looked just like Airdale1's photo. Under it the caption read eastern Coyote.
I just never bothered to go back and correct my original "It's a wolf" post.

Well at any rate that is one BIG Coyote that I would not want to meet in my back yard......
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Lucy Goose

That is a good size coyote! I have a pic of one on my website http://www.brendajacobsphotography.com under Galleries/Wildlife that took down a deer on my property. There was actually two of them but not in the pic. When I first saw them I thought they were German Shepherds because of their size. Then I did some reading up on eastern coyotes. Basically exactly what you posted above.

All the more reason not to leave your small even medium size pets outside alone.

Cheers,

Lucy Goose
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy Goose For This Useful Post:
Grant (01-05-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,605 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Goose View Post
That is a good size coyote! I have a pic of one on my website http://www.brendajacobsphotography.com under Galleries/Wildlife that took down a deer on my property. There was actually two of them but not in the pic. When I first saw them I thought they were German Shepherds because of their size. Then I did some reading up on eastern coyotes. Basically exactly what you posted above.

All the more reason not to leave your small even medium size pets outside alone.

Cheers,

Lucy Goose
That is a nice shot LG!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Grant

Amazing shot, LG. Nice site, too.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Pepper

Great website, LG! Love your work! Thanks for sharing the link.