Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
ApS

Question Voles, Voles Voles???

I've lived at the lake for many summers, but this is a critter that is completely new to me. I've only seen one (alone), as he "vacuums-up" dropped grains (birdseed and any of Kellogg's breakfast products) that "happen" his way.

This photo is of a different Vole species (Pacific) which is larger than our native Voles. "Ours" look like a field mouse, but with a "stub" for a tail. (The tail is only about than one-inch long—looks odd to me).

This is the first year we haven't been hearing the repeated call of the Barred Owl, which must have been keeping Vole numbers in check. (Well, I did hear one Barred Owl this season—but only one—and he was on the other shore, about ½-mile distant).

This forum has scant mention of "Voles" here:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?p=68015

That thread is titled: Moles, Moles Moles??? There, one defense is dogs or cats—I have those on both sides of my location!

'Seems grass lawns suffer from Voles (and Moles), but there is no lawn at my location—just forest...and scattered native grasses and native flowers. (And no Moles).

While I can't complain of any damage at all, but why this year and not any other years?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
VtSteve

I had those nasty little pests at a house I had just bought here. Voles are similar, but different than the usually mole creature. They can do lots of damage to lawns, shrubbery, plants, etc.. Amazingly hard to get rid of. You have to go deep.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
ApS

Wink And That's the Vole Truth...

Funny that I should mention my "vole situation" over dinner out last evening.

I was told of a neighbor who had been bitten by a vole .

After the "dispatching" of the vole, the critter—a mammal, after all—was later checked for rabies. (And found to have none).

This is a tiny creature, but don't underestimate their tempers!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote