Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
hazelnut

Thumbs up Moultonborough Trail Help

Hello all, I grew up snowmobiling on the lake and around the lake on the trails. Unfortunately for one reason or another it has been about 10 plus years since I've owned a snowmobile.
Well I remedied that little problem on Saturday and now I am showing my twin 5 year old boys the ropes. We put a bunch of miles on the new Polaris 600 IQ Touring sled this weekend. From what I recall 10 years ago the trails are so much better. It is incredible what the clubs have done over the years. I applaud them for their efforts. I do have a question though:

Can someone tell me if the whole Kona Loop is closed? I was trying in vain to find it and I could not for the life of me figure out the turn off. I found one turn that ended up having a "Trail Closed" sign so I backed up and turned around. It looked as though it MIGHT have been the turn off but I was not about to disobey the sign so we spun around and just finished out the powerline trail to the Areys section of the lake. I did see that th Salmon Meadow Cove trail is still around. Can you get access to Center Cove from there? I recall that the channel into Salmon Meadow Cove does not freeze so you needed to cross over people's shorefront to get through there. Anyway any and all help is appreciated for this reincarnated snowmobiler.

All my snowmobiling was done from 1984-1998 or thereabouts.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:40 AM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Bad map

The current m'boro club trail map is wrong. There is no direct connection between Kona trails and the powerline trail. You can get to Kona trails by the entrance in Braun Bay or the trail that crosses M'boro neck road after coming up from the Smith Cove entrance off the lake. The Kona loop is a beautiful trail, but there are two dead-ends. First, the other end of the trail you found, 100 yards south of Kona Farm Rd. The other dead end is at King's Court rd. I don't know why the trails were closed. Probably land owners changing their minds, maybe due to rude riders. It would be nice if the spurs off the Kona trails were marked as dead-ends.
hazelnut (01-20-2009)
Old 01-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Kona Loop Trail

Hazelnut,

First welcome back! Yes the trails have improver quite a bit from when you last rode and so have the sleds we ride today.

We have lost access to the Swallow Point trail and that is why you can not get from the Power Line trail directly to the Kona trail. There is still local access at Kona Farm rd on to Morill. There are actually three points of entry in to the Kona trail. As Lg stated Braun Bay (when the ice is safe) from the King’s Court and the Far Echo Trail.
King’s Court is actually the Trail Head for people in the Kona and Long Point area. In order to access the Far Echo Trial you need to come down Moultonboro Bay to a spot just before Camp Tecumseh. There is a trail head off the lake that connects to the Far Echo trail. If you go left you will you will end up at the Far Echo beach and can get on the Lake at that point. If you go right, the trail will take you back to the Kona Forest and the LOOP trail. You will cross the Neck Rd at the Pine Woods Camp ground, follow the trial to the “sand pit”. As you go through the gate you are now in the Kona Forest. There is a three way intersection some fifty feet from the gate. The trail to the left goes to Braun Bay, the trail to the right is the “LOOP”. If you go straight through you can do the LOOP in reverse, go to Kings Court or follow the trail to Kona Farm Rd. We have also done some significant trail work on the “109” side of the trail system between Skellys and the Castle.

See map below, Follow RED dotted Lines

Enjoy our Trails

George

WINNOCTURN
Attached Images

WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
hazelnut

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info and all the hard work. My brother-in-law and my sister recently moved to the area from Nevada. He bought his new sled on Saturday. He is new to snowmobiling, but not outdoor activities. He is an avid hunter, fisherman, and has owned many ATV's. I am going to encourage him to join the Moultonboro Snowmobile Club. I'll make sure to do the same. We had a lot of fun exploring on Saturday and Sunday and I'm sure we barely scratched the surface. I was going off of memory and I only screwed up a couple of times. Mainly because things had changed in certain areas. Mostly for the better.

Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

You should have joined the club first, hazelnut, you would have saved money on your registration. Unless that has changed.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up How to Join and Regisiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
You should have joined the club first, hazelnut, you would have saved money on your registration. Unless that has changed.
Hazelnut,

If you want to join the Club and or have other sleds to register you can go to our website and down load a copy of the application.

http://www.moultonborosmc.org/member...pplication.htm

Or you can register your snowmobile and join the Club at the same time at EM Heaths Hardware, D'Silva Motor Sports or Skellys Market on 109.

By being a member of a Club charted through the New Hampshire Snowmobile Association (NHSA) you are eligible for a $30.00 discount on every sled you register.

George
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
hazelnut

Already registered the sled.... Oh well, I'll still join but next year I'll make sure to register it at Heath's. I always register my boat there anyway.

The sled purchase was sort of an impulse buy. My brother in law and I were talking about it for a few months and almost daring one another to do it. Well, when push came to shove and we both found sleds we liked we pulled the trigger. We actually took delivery on the spot and had them registered and out the showroom door within an hour of us arriving at the dealership. Fortunately I have had several years of experience, I just took a break for about ten years. Seriously though I am relearning the ropes while showing my kids how much fun it is. It helps to have my brother in law along for the ride too. I also have some good friends in the area who are involved with the Meredith Snow Streakers. I hope to hook up with them this year.

We took the trail from Center Harbor to Meredith this weekend. That was so cool. It was kind of quiet though not a lot of activity. I am guessing that will change as February approaches.