Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
extremenewenglander

Default Gunstock's Octoberfest is Done!

What a shame..... no longer is the Gunstock's Octoberfest can be looked forwarded to. My family and myself attended for many years and will truly miss Gunstock's tradional Octoberfest! It seems a heritage of Gunstock for 27 years was discontinued for the " Morbid Mountain" event. What a disappointment! ???????? Maybe the administration will reconsider?????
extremenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
wifi

Your tax dollars at work
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
HUH

That is sad.. Seems the county board managing the rec area is truly out of touch.. anything to try and turn a buck
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
donnamatrix

Default Whhaatt?

I missed whatever decision/article you are talking about... somebody decided that there will be no more Oktoberfest?? WHY? What happened?
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
kjbathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
That is sad.. Seems the county board managing the rec area is truly out of touch.. anything to try and turn a buck
Out of touch... Some folks are a riot. Most people complain because taxes are too high. Then others complain when, GASP, Gunstock makes a change with the potential to increase revenues!

As one of those taxpayers, I'm glad the team at Gunstock is actually willing to try new things. Bring some new patrons to the area. Try something different in Morbid Mountain. Diversify the client base. See how it goes. And in the process we get some variety with the potential to increase earnings at the area.

That's not out of touch -- that's good management! This change, along with the recently-approved capital improvement projects are all spot on, in my opinion. But then again, I don't have an issue with Gunstock being profitable. Especially with our tax dollars in play.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kjbathe For This Useful Post:
summersux (09-24-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

(pardon my ignorance here...)

Is Gunstock owned by the Town of Gilford?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Exclamation Belknap County

Gunstock Recreation Area is owned by the county. The county have had its share of political shenanigans lately. But that is for another thread.

Wachusett Mtn in Mass. shares the same market as Gunstock and it is owned by the Commonwealth of Mass. Yet Wachusett is privately managed by the Crowley family and they have been very profitable through the years. Wachusett had Oktoberfests, springfest, craft fairs and country western nights long before Gunstock hosted such events. Wachusett is still doing these events with success. Gunstock could use better management compared to Wachusett. From what I hear Gunstock is bogged down by the county commissioners.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 09-23-2008 at 06:46 AM.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BroadHopper For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (09-24-2010)
Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
HUH

Default Out of touch

Ive been enjoying Gunstock for 42 years the way it is.. a fairly quiet, beautiful, UNDEVELOPED place! Now since the county has mismanaged the rest of the budget they feel that Gunstock would be a great earner if it were developed ie: big hotel, condos.. just like all the other overcrowded ski areas like Loon and Waterville. Leave Gunstock alone and fix the rest of the budget !
Morbid Mountain ??? Whats halloween got to do with an alpine recreation area ?
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:03 AM   #9
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Morbid mountain

Quote:
MORBID MOUNTAIN

Opens 9/26 Fridays and Saturdays

Halloween ScreamFest and Haunted Hayride
13 Nights - 3 Ghostly Attractions
Tickets $15

THE HAUNTED HOUSES
Several years before the creation of Gunstock, hidden in the woods, stood Belknap Mental Hospital. Here only the most insane patients were housed to receive treatments. The rural, out-of-the-way location was ideal as even the locals never knew its existence, until as the story goes the patients took over and it was the doctors and nurses that were held here. The location, deep in the woods was again ideal . . . no one could hear their screaming. The hospital was boarded up, closed and nearly forgotten.
The Hospital of Horrors, as it now known, was left idle for many years. During the fall of 2008, the old hospital was stumbled upon by two local hikers. In a police report taken by the one surviving witness, she said that her and her boyfriend were looking for shelter during a freak thunderstorm. As the sky grew darker, the lightning flashed and there in front of them was the hospital. She said she has hiked this trail many times and never noticed the building. It was old and in disrepair but there was a light on. Against her wishes her boyfriend knocked on the door and almost immediately the door was answered by a man in a doctor’s coat – the last thing she remembers before running from the woods, is her boyfriend being grabbed and taken inside, the door slamming, a flash of lightning and hearing the words “We’ve been waiting for you!”
Those who enter don’t return. Do you dare? . . . those who suffered are believed to still be here in one form or another. If you listen close you may hear banging, screaming or feel warm breath on the back of your neck– you hope it’s the wind, don’t turn around.
The telling of stories in front of the fire is a long-held, cherished tradition among campers. As they sit around a crackling fire in the dark of night, chilling stories of ghosts, monsters & unbelievable things that happen. These stories, told and retold year after year, may just be true. You decide!
Unexplained things do occur out there in the woods at night. You may have heard them yourself.
Gunstock Mountain Resort Campground Logbook. August 2008:
  • 11:00 pm – Two guests call Guest Services after hearing strange noises in Breezy Knoll. Screaming is heard in the background and then the line goes dead . . .
  • 11:03 pm – Call to guest services about quiet hours – loud campers
  • 11:10 pm – Security radios guest services to report that “something” has made a mess of Breezy Knoll site K4 – tent and sleeping bag ripped to shreds. No sign of guests. Security asks guest services to call Fish & Game – possibility of a rabid bear. Security will check with other guests.
  • 11:30 pm – Fish & Game officer arrives on site. No call back from Security.
  • 11:32 pm – Camper calls Guest Services about hearing more screaming. No reply from security.
  • 11:35 pm – Fish & Game officer calls “It’s not a bear . . .” Line goes dead.
What is it? You’re about to find out.
It was supposed to be the perfect date. The carnival was in town – the smell of hot popcorn, cotton candy, the bright lights, the music, and all the rides seemed to be the perfect place for Johnny to bring his date.
It seemed a bit odd that there didn’t seem to be anyone else there . . .
The young couple entered the fun house. First a dark room with only the light at the end to guide them – it felt like floor was moving beneath their feet. Next a room full of clowns – he swore their eyes were watching them as they walked through. In the mirror room he let go of her hand explaining it was getting sweaty, but really he was on the defensive. He was getting confused – which one was her and which was a reflection? They felt like they were going around in circles. Johnny’s date asked with a bit of fear in her eyes “How do we get out of here?” Just then, the lights went out and they heard a voice whisper "You Don’t."

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
fishdc

Default Octoberfest

I am disappointed as well, that Gunstock has stopped their Octoberfest celebration. We have gone every year since our daughter was born 10 years ago and have always had such a wonderful time. The new "morgue Mountain" looks too frightening for young children and not meant for families at all. It's too bad they won't do both.
fishdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Default Oktoberfest

Check out their competitor, Wachusett Mtn in Mass. They have a fantastic Oktoberfest with a farmer's market and craft fair.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Maybe Ames Farm........
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
summersux

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
From what I hear Gunstock is bogged down by the county commissioners.
Gunstock is out of the hands of the county commissioners. Gunstock has its own board and are not under the control of the county commissioners. Thats why Gunstock (or as we call it at my house the Rock) has been so profitable.

Oh here it is. Taken from Meredith BOS meeting mins of 8/16/2010

Quote:
The County took a bond issue for Gunstock over ten years ago. Gunstock makes a payment to the County on an annual basis in the amount of $150,000, and pays the County a percentage of its annual income, which was $160,000 last year. Gunstock has met all obligations to the County. They are paying the County in excess of what they are required to pay as a result of the bond issue.
Thank you Gunstock management! You Rock (no pun intended)
summersux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Default Gunstock Commissioners

Are still held accountable to the county. However, they have private meetings and there are county residents that are trying to get the Gunstock commission to open their meetings to the public.

I grew up on Gunstock. back when it was the Belknap County Recreation area. It was a beautiful mountain like Mad River Glen. The Fletcher Hale trail was voted the top 10 racing trail in the country. The ski jumps were world famous.

Today, I find the mountain more like Breton Woods. No challenge. The current commissioners turned it into a huge bunny slope. I have rarely skied there since Dick Tapply made all the trails wide and smooth out all the bumps. Close down the precipice and made Fletcher Hale off limit.

I guess there are folks that like it the way it is. Most of us who have 'graduated' from the old mountain have moved on. Graduates from the Egon Zimmerman's race program can be seen racing in the masters program and other race league. The new race program can't compete with those from Wachusetts. Gunstock competition with the Boston market. The Bostom Market wants a challenging mountain and Wachusetts have the numbers to prove it. Gunstock may be profitable today, but I think it will not be so in the future.
HUH (01-12-2014)
Old 09-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
summersux

Quote:

Today, I find the mountain more like Breton Woods. No challenge. The current commissioners turned it into a huge bunny slope.
I can't disagree with that. At least its not flat like Summit County.

Quote:
Graduates from the Egon Zimmerman's race program can be seen racing in the masters program and other race league. The new race program can't compete with those from Wachusetts.
Now this I disagree with the racers from Wachusetts do not have the coaching the GSC racers have not even close. We could check at the USSA website or look at BWL results.
summersux is offline   Reply With Quote