Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Donna B

Default Wolfeboro inn a dining disappointment!!!

Greatly disappointed!
Last Saturday my in-laws were visiting from South Carolina so we decided to eat at the Wolfeboro inn, hearing it was recently renovated and a “new chef” was on board. The seven of us arrived @ 5:45 pm and the dining room was not busy so we were seated right away. The waitress service was fine and we ordered our food by 6:00pm. Here is where it begins…..@ 7:00pm we still had not received our food and at this point we were all hungry, the waitress did come over several times to assure us she was checking on our food and it would arrive soon. She did apologize many times. At 7:10pm the food arrived. My mother’s ribs were cold, my father ordered prime rib which came served as a rib eye steak and was cold, my son ordered steak tips and received a strip steak cut up in pieces, he also ordered a baked potato but got mashed (he just ate it) I had the mac and cheese with lobster. The mac and cheese was hot but very dry/tasteless. My mother sent her ribs back (they were cold) the rest of us just ate. Fifteen minutes later her ribs came back, with a sauce on top that tasted like baked beans, not the original sauce. She had ordered a baked potato, but the second dish had mashed. She just ate it. The waitress again apologized and said it was not her fault. No one was blaming her but this was getting ridiculous. We received the bill and it was wrong. My in-laws had ordered a bottle of wine for $35.00 and the bill was for $44.00. We were told the computer made the error. (There are no bottles of wine on the list for $44.00). The bill was corrected. My husband paid for the bill via credit card. It came up denied four times which we knew could not be correct. Another waitress came over and showed the staff member how to do it correctly, and then it went through. All I wanted to do at that point was get out of there, at least it was nice out so my father and I stood out front shaking our heads saying “never again” we would have been better off going to the Wolfeboro diner which is now open in the evening. My 74 yr old father in-law spoke to the manager about his experience. The manager said “thanks, we will look into it.” That was my two hour meal at the inn. I have had drinks here before but not a meal. After a $4 million dollar renovation and a new chef you think this historic inn would have the dining room mastered. Unfortunately it doesn’t. This is the first time I have ever written such a negative review of a dining experience, but it was so bad I felt you all need to know.
Donna B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
crownline_guy

Default We had poor serviece too but never got to sit down

We also had a bad experience but I guess, lucky for us, we never got seated. The hostess kept telling us it would be few more minutes, even though after 45 minutes waiting, the restaurant was not busy. She eventually came clean to tell us the kitchen was closed. If she told us this upfront, we'd have just gone another place and come back to try again some other time. But now, I'd think twice about going back to a restaurant that out of control. Be advised and go elsewhere...
crownline_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
gokart-mozart

Default Wolfeboro Inn Has Obvious, Serious Problems

I've never seen so many bad reviews in such a short time! Maybe they should close for a week to try and get things under control.

If this goes on much longer, they may not be able to recover. Sad.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

It is too bad. I wish they would read this forum so they would know that noone is happy. Or maybe they know, but don't know how to correct it. If not, they need to get someone in there to straighten things out. I agree, if they don't, noone will go there.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Arrow Is it under new owners?

Friends of mine who are life long residents of Wolfeboro heard some pretty bad stories about the 'reopening'. I use to enjoy going there. Is my mug on the ceiling?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Winni1952

Default Wolfeboro Inn....stay away for now!!

My wife and I decided to stay at the inn while our home on Rattlesnake was undergoing construction over the Memorial Day weekend. Hearing that it had been totally renovated we expected to have a nice and relaxing weekend with newly appointed surroundings.

We stayed in a deluxe room which was anything but.The room consisted of a couple of furnishings that were brand new and then others that were falling apart. They neglected to supply the room even with tissue but the most disturbing part of our stay was the room being overrun with ants.....even in our bed.ALOT OF THEM!!!!

We complained to the desk and were told that housekeeping would be informed and we would be contacted. Well we never heard a thing so we went out and bought ant and insect spray in order to get rid of our unwanted guests.

Upon checkout we again made the front desk person aware of the situation and our displeasure with our stay.As he was checking us out on the computer he said he would credit us one night stay but when the statement was handed to us he had charged us in full saying the software was new and he would have to ask his manager how to do a credit!!

Well we waited and waited without any one contacting us....so my wife contacted the manager and much to her dismay the manager went round and round making this excuse and that about this being their first weekend open and what did we expect since we were given a reduced rate for the weekend.Finally she somewhat agreed to possibly crediting us but she did not know how to do it since there was new computer software!!!!!!She promised to call back today to let us know.....guess what! Right!

Obviously... we will not recommend any of our guests to stay at the Wolfeboro Inn this summer....THANK GOD WE DID NOT EAT THERE!
Winni1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
secondcurve

I had lunch again the other day with a couple of friends and the wait for the food after ordering was a solid 35 minutes for sandwiches no less. The restaurant was maybe 20% full. I can't understand how they could spend all that money on renovations and total screw up the service component of the equation, especially in this economy where lots of excellent workers are unemployed. I thought these folks were experienced operators of high-end establishments. My only thought is they have blown their brains out financially and simply can't afford to staff the place with the correct number of quality workers. This is a real shame.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
MeEscape

Default Wasn't too bad

I had dinner at the Inn last weekend with my sister and our spouses. We only had beer, wine, and some burgers, but it was very pleasant, service and food.

Maybe there is hope, let's give them a little while to work out the kinks, we need some decent dining on that end of the lake.
MeEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
VtSteve

With two threads, and mostly negative reviews, doesn't look good. These new owners are obviously not very well connected. Usually by now, several people would pipe in to denounce new posters that trash a restaurant.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
Mee-n-Mac

Red face Stop digging

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
With two threads, and mostly negative reviews, doesn't look good. These new owners are obviously not very well connected. Usually by now, several people would pipe in to denounce new posters that trash a restaurant.
Alas I've heard the same bad news via word of mouth. As was said above, they need to get their act in gear pronto or it'll be too late. First rule for getting out of a hole is to stop digging. Guess we'll stick to 51 Mill St for dinner, Garwoods for lunch until we start hearing some good reviews.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
Heaven

Quote:
They are from Connecticut and have no local ties that I have heard of or seen. Being from Connecticut, you would think they would know how to hire staff that can do the job. I am afraid the general manager, who is from around these parts, isn't up to the task at hand and doesn't have the background and skills for pulling this around. Nice lady, no insult intended.

http://www.thenhmirror.com/2009/0603...feboroInn.html [/URL]
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
Alas I've heard the same bad news via word of mouth. As was said above, they need to get their act in gear pronto or it'll be too late. First rule for getting out of a hole is to stop digging. Guess we'll stick to 51 Mill St for dinner, Garwoods for lunch until we start hearing some good reviews.
It's a tough business, hope they make it. But I think people should at least give them the same amount of time others have given their fav places when negative reviews come in. In many I've read, the ones complaining were told to buzz off. Restaurants come and go all the time. Extend them the same courtesy that the LP and others have been given.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
Heaven

Quote:
It's a tough business, hope they make it. But I think people should at least give them the same amount of time others have given their fav places when negative reviews come in. In many I've read, the ones complaining were told to buzz off. Restaurants come and go all the time. Extend them the same courtesy that the LP and others have been given.
I agree especially if talking about a "mom & pop" or individual enterprise, but this outfit is a corporation that purchases hotel properties as investments and then "upscales" them. They "should" have the background to avoid the opening month glitches we are seeing. Other hotels they have renovated include The Exeter Inn (Exeter), The Centennial Hotel (Concord), The Landmark Inn (Virginia), The Orchards Hotel (MA).
Old 06-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
Bluebell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I agree especially if talking about a "mom & pop" or individual enterprise, but this outfit is a corporation that purchases hotel properties as investments and then "upscales" them. They "should" have the background to avoid the opening month glitches we are seeing. Other hotels they have renovated include The Exeter Inn (Exeter), The Centennial Hotel (Concord), The Landmark Inn (Virginia), The Orchards Hotel (MA).
Good point. However, I heard that their chef just up and walked out on them. That would explain so many problems in the kitchen.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
Good point. However, I heard that their chef just up and walked out on them. That would explain so many problems in the kitchen.
No doubt that event would kick in Plan "B", but if the "front of the house" had the required skills this wouldn't effect customers' experience (except, maybe, the first couple of hours if the chef walked out in the middle of dinner).
Old 06-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #16
DC Pointer

Took the boat down to Wolfeboro Center for a late lunch. Decided to check out the newly renovated Wolfeboro Inn. My wife, 4 year old daughter and I sat for lunch. Ordered promptly (since a 4 year old can sometimes be unruly in a restaurant) and waited, and waited, and waitied, and waited...took my daughter outside for a walk as she was getting really "wiggly", walked down to the beach...looked at the birds... as I was walking back in my wife was walking out...she'd had it. from the time we ordered, it was about 45 minutes. My wife said they didn't even notice her leaving.

Went to the place above docks (Dockside??). In and out in 35 minutes.
DC Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #17
Seeker

Thank you all for these posts. We were thinking of trying it but will now hold off until we hear some good reviews. I sometimes have a short fuse and this doesn't sound like a good place for me right now.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
nicelydunn

Default Wolfboro Inn

Five of us went to the Wolfboro Inn last night. All I can say about it is: service sucks!!
nicelydunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
Egads! A corporation you say? How dreadful. I'm sure they are having some problems. But after reading restaurant reviews here for quite awhile, this one is hilarious.

Woops, another new poster said they stink as well. One post mind you, but they cared enough to share.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #20
EZ-Pass

My wife and I went to enjoy a meal even though we both have read the reviews here, but thought we had to try it. While walking in from the parking lot. 2 couples were coming out and stopped us and asked if we were going in for dinner. We said yes that we thought we would give it a try and they both said that they had been sitting and standing for over an hour and no one even noticed them and when they did and got seated they sat for over 1/2 hour before ANYONE came to their table. They placed their orders and after doing so, twice the waitress came back and said to 2 of them that the particular item they had ordered was not available. A few minutes later they were talking to us less having their meals. My wife and I looked at each other and said lets go elsewhere which we did.
EZ-Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:15 AM   #21
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

I feel really bad for the folks who have booked Spring weddings if this is the same treatment they are getting.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #22
Flylady

Default Kiss of death..

After reading all these reviews I thought it would be appropriate to send a message to their website letting them know that if they care to know how their business is being rated to check out this site. I don't believe I have ever read such consistent bad reviews. Pity the tourist who unknowingly go in there. Certainly they should not expect return business. Actually they would be better off closing and getting control of the situation. Without drastic action....they won't survive the year.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:32 AM   #23
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
After reading all these reviews I thought it would be appropriate to send a message to their website letting them know that if they care to know how their business is being rated to check out this site.
I also sent email yesterday to the general manager and sales manager to make them aware of the reviews being written here. There is hope. Here's the response. We should be hearing from them soon.

Thank you for your feedback. I have just registered and will promptly make some postings. We are making definite changes to our Food & Beverage Dept. Our new Executive Chef is starting with us this week and we are also addressing the service. I'm confident the Inn will get back on track soon.
Karen
Old 06-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #24
secondcurve

Thanks Lakegeezer. It is a good start that the GM acknowledges a problem.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #25
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Thanks Lakegeezer. It is a good start that the GM acknowledges a problem.
Indeed. And kudos to those who have brought the issues to managements attention.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #26
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default I hear what you are saying but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Indeed. And kudos to those who have brought the issues to managements attention.
If the GM doesn't already know how bad their problem is, she should get a new job. Based on the above reviews it is a train wreck over there.

It really drives the point home that throwing money at a problem does not always solve it.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #27
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I agree with you Vita. If all these people complained, you would have to be blind or deaf not to know you have a problem. She had better get things corrected before it is too late.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #28
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
If the GM doesn't already know how bad their problem is, she should get a new job. Based on the above reviews it is a train wreck over there.

It really drives the point home that throwing money at a problem does not always solve it.
I know what you mean. But sometimes one is so close to the issue that they are blind to it. Or, sometimes passion gets in the way of reality.
Look at it this way. You are working on a project, something that you are very proud of. You look at it and feel as though you have done a wonderful job. Then someone comes along and tells you different. You take another look, and maybe that person has a point.

I was in the restaurant biz for a long time in a past life. I do agree that the person would have to be blind to not see it. But it can happen.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #29
jack1706

Default any returns to the Wolfeboro Inn?

ok, it's been a few days with no posts about the Inn, has anyone been back there yet? or there lately?
I'm really curious as it has always been a go back to type of place.
I think i'll give it another go next weekend... see how the new chef and staff is improving.
i would still like to bring company visiting there..
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #30
CL 240 LS

We decided to try the Tavern yesterday for lunch. Dusted of the mug and had a couple of apps at the bar. It was not too busy and service was quick, weekends may be another story. Will be back to try more of the old and new menu selections.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #31
Lakepilot

Default Had a great meal there.

We piled the kids and grand kids into the boat on Sunday and headed to Alton for lunch. Unfortunately, even though we got to the Alton docks around 11 a.m. there was a line of boats waiting for spaces. We turned around and decided to go to the Wolfeboro Inn.

We arrived around noon and were promptly seated. Our waitress was named Brandy and she was super. She took our drink orders and came right back with drinks. I had the fish sandwich, my wife had the Molly's Trolley, the kids had the Blue cheese burger and a chicken salad and the grand kids had a burger and cheese sandwich. Our order was taken at 12:10 and came out at 12:30. The place was crowded so I was expecting worse.

Everyone's meal was fantastic and the service was great. While waiting for the meals to arrive I took the grandkids out back to see a helicopter that was beside the Inn. They loved that.

Maybe they have their act together now. I hope so, sice we have used to love going to the Wolfeboro Inn.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lakepilot For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-20-2009), hazelnut (07-19-2009), Orion (07-23-2009), Rattlesnake Gal (07-22-2009), riverat (07-20-2009), robmac (07-21-2009), trfour (07-20-2009)
Old 07-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #32
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn dining

I was an early and ofter critic to Ms Beranger about the service at the Inn, but have to say that the past several times I have been there the service has improved dramatically. I had breakfast there today and the food was great and the service was just right. Because it was early morning, we had a chance to talk with the server, and she was explanatory of the problems in the beginning, receptive to our comments, and positive about the future. I will certainly be returning and won't hesitate to recommend the Inn as a fine dining place.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-26-2009)
Old 07-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #33
chowda

Default Much better than expected

Honestly too scared after the bad reports to try a full meal. We had a few apps and everything was pretty good. We had the crab stuffed mushroom caps (great) oysters on the half shell (as to be expected), and calamari (pretty good). I expected more of a cornmeal taste and texture to the calamari from the menu description, but it seemed like regular ole' battered calamari to me. Decor seemed OK, nothing rang of "The Oldest Summer Resort in America" which is disappointing, but overall much better than before. At least it is clean now.

Last edited by chowda; 07-26-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling
chowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #34
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Had lunch in Wolfeboro last Friday. I was still hesitant about the Inn so we went over to 51 Mill Street. You just can't beat this place. Lunch was great!

Here's the Wolfeboro Inn on an old postcard. I'm guessing the 1950s.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #35
beagle

Default not a disappointment!

We finally tried the Inn on Sunday night. We had a great meal and great service, so I encourage everyone else to give it a try! (I really should start a new thread as the title to this one might put people off!)
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #36
lakes rest guy

I gave the Inn a second try since they re-opened. I will not be going back again . The service is the problem. I heard that they were getting a new chef. The food is good, it is the service that needs work. What they need is a new manager for the front of the house.
lakes rest guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #37
Grady223

Default 3 Strikes You're Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post
We finally tried the Inn on Sunday night. We had a great meal and great service, so I encourage everyone else to give it a try! (I really should start a new thread as the title to this one might put people off!)
Have been there 3 times because I also believe in giving a new business a chance.

First time waited 1 hour to get a waiter to stop at our table and it just went down hill from there - 2 1/2 hours for a couple of salads!

Only good experience was the second time when we were there for lunch at 2:00 PM, told them of our previously horrible experience and were the only one's there. Everything went well.

Third time for dinner was, as the first, a disaster. One member of our party ordered and end cut of prime rib which came out cold - not cool, but still refrigerator cold - sent it back, came back cool. Ordered salmon to replace it took 50 minutes to be served, meanwhile everyone else in our party was long done. When questioned, the manager said he was making the salmon a priority but we had to understand that they had a party of 20 they were handling. Some priority - 50 minutes?!

That manager I understand was fired the next night and the chef quit last week. I was told by a member of the staff he quit due to management telling him they were reducing the menu, increasing prices and they wanted him to reduce portion sizes. Sounds like a last ditch effort before going under.

I would agree with other posts that for the most part the food was good - of course now the chef is gone - but service / management is horrendous.

Thinking of going there - don't!

What I fdon't understand is the new owners also own a ver successful inn and restaurant in Exeter - they are not inexperienced. Go figure.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #38
flyguy

Default A good experience

I had lunch there yesterday, and can only speak from that, but the food was excellent- in fact, I had the best pastrami sandwich I've ever eaten in a restaurant. My lunch companion opted for their new all-you-can-eat $8 buffet. The theme for it changes from day to day, but yesterday it was italian, complete with lasagna, HUGE meatballs & pasta, soup, salad, etc.- also excellent.

The service was a little bit slow, but not intolerable.

Just my sole experience- perhaps they've reacted to all the flames on this forum?
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #39
capngary

Default Corporate Takeover

I ate there in July and was sorely disappointed. I guess once a corporation takes over a place from Mom and Pop, the restaurant goes "Denny's." The service was slow and after all that wait, the food was cold.

It's the old sausage game! Granny makes great sausage and her relatives tell her to sell it. It sells great and goes national. A corporation buys Granny out and she retires relatively rich! Then... the corporation puts 10% sawdust in the sausage. The consumer says, "yummy." The corporation puts 20% sawdust in... The consumer still says, "yummy." The corporation keeps increasing the sawdust until the sausage is 90% chemically enhanced sawdust. There is a consumer for it, just not the ones whom first enjoyed it.

I pity the poor toursists who dine at the Wolfeboro Inn. But, they probably wouldn't have come back anyway.
capngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #40
jack1706

Default poor tourists

I too always think about the poor visitors who go there. and hope they make out better than we have at the Inn.
last weekend, while at THE RESTAURANT, a big group staying at the Inn was there loving the food... I didn't dare ask if they had eaten at the Inn, I just figured they had and would rather cross the street and eat great food..
Old 10-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #41
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default This is not your father's Wolfeboro Inn.....

Last fall we bought a half price certificate for the Wolfeboro Inn just before they closed for renovations. We had eaten there before and had good food and a nice time.

After reading the reviews since the re-opening we decided to go tonight, figuring that sooner was safer than later. The reviews were true. It was one of the worst dining experiences we have had in many years.

Started with beverages. I asked for a diet coke with a piece of lime, the Mrs. asked for icewater with no lemon. What arrived was a diet coke with lemon, and an icewater with lemon. There was only one server, who did not appear to be happy with her job, and although the place was not too busy, it took quite a while before we could get her attention. We explained the problem and she came back 5 minutes later holding a rather anemic wedge of lime in her hand and put it in my face. No icewater though. We reminded her again and finally got the icewater about 5 minutes after that.

Bread was delivered and left on the table with the dishes left stacked on top of the bread basket.

We ordered our meals, and asked for the $12 Shrimp Martini as an appetizer, which promised a cocktail sauce with Grey Goose vodka. It arrived about 10 minutes later; a small martini glass with 4 shrimp and stuffed with spinach leaves and greens, but no cocktail sauce. It took another 10 minutes to attract the attention of someone who was not a server, who said they would get the manager. Several minutes later a person showed up who, when we said we wanted to return it, offered to get us some cocktail sauce, saying that perhaps the server was in a hurry and had neglected to include it. We told her that given the time that had elapsed and the anticipated arrival of our meal, we wanted to just return it. She offered to wrap it up for us to take home. I finally had to explain that we were refusing it and expected to have it removed from our check, which she agreed to do.

About 15 minutes later the meal arrived. The Mrs.'s Salmon was good, but the mashed potatoes were cold. But my Prime Rib? Wow! Words fail me, but I'll try my best.

I sincerely doubt that the "King Cut" weighed in at more than 12 ounces. It was about 7 inches long by 5 inches wide, by 1/2 inch thick, and boneless. While marginally edible, it strongly reminded me of the precooked, pre-sliced prime rib I had once bought at Sam's Club. It was identical in texture and salty flavor, and was not even near the rare doneness I had ordered. It was covered in a thick onion flavored gravy. This is the first time in my life I have ever been served a Prime Rib covered in gravy! The baked potato was cold and dry. I had ordered it with sour cream, and scooped out the single dish of white creamy stuff that came with the meal onto the potato, only to discover that it was not sour cream, but horseradish sauce!

At that point I just gave up. We ate what we could, paid the bill and left.

We will NEVER go to the Wolfeboro Inn again!
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #42
Grady223

Default Any Change?

Haven't seen this subject on the forum since the fall. Are they still in business? Has anyone been there recently? Has there been a change in food quality and service?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #43
jack1706

No... They are still open... but we haven't been back since around X-mas.
I just can't bring myself to go in their... cocktails maybe..
But, we enjoy "The Restaurant " & up to N.conway to Horsefeathers etc.
Just haven't heard of anyone going there of late..
alot of tourists, I presume.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #44
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn a dining disappointment

I have been to the Inn frequently for Saturday morning breakfast, usually early, and have found it to be okay. I was a regular Saturday customer before the renovation and had become friends with the waitress, so returning after the renovation was somewhat of a chance to visit with her as well as have breakfast.

To tell the truth, the food is marginal, and when she is our waitress the service is great, but I have had other servers and the service was not good.

To this day I am totally confused as to why the Inn can't get it's service act together. This topic has been beaten to death on the web, and many, many posters have recounted tales of bad service, complete with specific details, and, yet, the bad service continues. I have e-mailed the Inn directly with specific complaints, and even made suggestions, and still no action. With as many complaints as they have had, wouldn't you think they'd get the point.

They need to hire a competent dining room HEAD SERVER who is responsible ONLY for the training and supervision of the table servers. When there is a complaint, this person needs to jump all over it with both feet, and fix the problem.

Enough said by me.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #45
Bluebell

I've always enjoyed going to Wolfe's Tavern and was concerned after reading all of the negative reviews after the renovation. We tried it a few times last summer and were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food and the service. Unfortunately, over time we've come to the conclusion that going into the Tavern for dinner is a roll of the dice at best. Sometimes everything is terrific, other times we leave grumbling. Too bad.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #46
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I have been to the Inn frequently for Saturday morning breakfast, usually early, and have found it to be okay. I was a regular Saturday customer before the renovation and had become friends with the waitress, so returning after the renovation was somewhat of a chance to visit with her as well as have breakfast.

To tell the truth, the food is marginal, and when she is our waitress the service is great, but I have had other servers and the service was not good.

To this day I am totally confused as to why the Inn can't get it's service act together. This topic has been beaten to death on the web, and many, many posters have recounted tales of bad service, complete with specific details, and, yet, the bad service continues. I have e-mailed the Inn directly with specific complaints, and even made suggestions, and still no action. With as many complaints as they have had, wouldn't you think they'd get the point.

They need to hire a competent dining room HEAD SERVER who is responsible ONLY for the training and supervision of the table servers. When there is a complaint, this person needs to jump all over it with both feet, and fix the problem.

Enough said by me.
I think you make a good point.

It is quite possible that one of two things is happening.

One, they are running the place on the model of other properties and not taking into account the possible difference in customers thoughts and attitudes, thus they take a we know what we are doing stance.

Or two, the current manager is shuffling the bad reports, emails, etc. under the rug to protect their own hide and to protect a job that they may not be qualified for.

It has been mentioned before that this property is owned by a larger group with other locations. I believe your complaints and emails need to go there if you really expect to see any change. Sounds like the complaints stop at the door. That is only my opinion, but for a place that has been cut into the size pieces that this place has, something is keeping the bits out of the grinder.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-29-2010), Yosemite Sam (04-29-2010)
Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #47
TavernManager

Default Wolfe's Tavern - Changes

Hi Folks, my name is Stephen Smith and I am the "new" manager of the Wolfe's Tavern. I took over late last fall and we have been working very hard on staff training and service. We essentially have an all-new staff, and rest assured that all comment cards are reviewed by the management team here at the Inn.

I also make a point of visiting as many of the tables during lunch and dinner that I can, and I know that many of our local regulars appreciate this. I enjoy brief conversations with many of them (you), and look forward to sharing more time with you this summer season.

I have reviewed a lot of the posts on this forum regarding the things that happened last summer, and I am confident that this year will be highly successful. If the current success of our General's Club is any indication (575 members! see http://wolfestavern.com/tavern-generals-club.html for more), we are on the right track.

I welcome any and all feedback that you may have, I can be reached at the Inn 569-3016, or by email ssmith @ wolfeboroinn dot com. Please be sure to say "Hi" the next time you come in!
TavernManager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TavernManager For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (05-03-2010), jmen24 (04-29-2010), Jonas Pilot (04-29-2010), Yosemite Sam (04-29-2010)
Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #48
jmen24

Stephen, looks like some changes have been made.

Customer relations is a top priority item and it sounds as though you have that well within your sites.

Best of luck to you and the Tavern in the up coming season.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #49
TavernManager

Default Thank you for your feedback

Thank you to everyone who took the time to contact me about their experiences at Wolfe's Tavern. I look forward to seeing all of you again soon!
TavernManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #50
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TavernManager View Post
Thank you to everyone who took the time to contact me about their experiences at Wolfe's Tavern. I look forward to seeing all of you again soon!
Tavern Manger:

Thanks for your input. It is good to see that someone in management is taking responsibility for the Wolfeboro Inn's terrible reputation. Hopefully things improve, they certainly can't get much worse! Best of luck to you.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #51
Lucky1

Doesn't the Wolfboro Inn do weddings? That might be a concern? Hope they are able to get their operation doing well for the wedding season if they did book some wedding receptions.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote