Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
WoNHUSA

Default Navionics+ and Bizer

I am shopping for a chartplotter and have been looking at a Raymarine that comes with Navionics+, but Bizer does not list Navionics+ as one of the GPS compatible cards/options. I have downloaded the Navionics App to my phone and compared it to the Bizer Chart. From what I can tell, the Navionics chart for Winnipesaukee is derived from or the same as the Bizer chart.

A few questions...

Does the Navionics chart have the same info as Bizer?
How is the Navionics chart working for people out on Winnipesaukee?
How does C-Map compare to Navionics and do people have a preference?
WoNHUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
Rich

From what I know, very recently (within a couple of years), the Navionics lake data was based off of Bizer.

I don't know if they still contact Bizer for update info or not, but within a couple of years ago, Bizer was involved in their chart data somehow.

I feel very comfortable using Navionics on the lake on my Raymarine chart plotter.

I also like that they tend to listen to and implement changes if you send them a report of a problem with their charts. At first I thought they would ignore reports of errors on the lake, but they took a few of my reports and implemented them fairly quickly.

So if you see an error in the Navionics chart, instead of just looking at it and shaking your head, send them a problem report and help to make the charts better.

You also can review their chart data online via their 'web app'. This makes it nice if you are at home and want to check a route, or an area. It's also easy to report errors. If you have their update subscription, they will fix it, then you can update your chip for your GPS Chartplotter too. It's a nice system!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Rich- What's the link?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Rich- What's the link?
This will get you started:

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...%7D%7BeiGndprL
Old 03-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
WoNHUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
From what I know, very recently (within a couple of years), the Navionics lake data was based off of Bizer.

I don't know if they still contact Bizer for update info or not, but within a couple of years ago, Bizer was involved in their chart data somehow.

I feel very comfortable using Navionics on the lake on my Raymarine chart plotter.

I also like that they tend to listen to and implement changes if you send them a report of a problem with their charts. At first I thought they would ignore reports of errors on the lake, but they took a few of my reports and implemented them fairly quickly.

So if you see an error in the Navionics chart, instead of just looking at it and shaking your head, send them a problem report and help to make the charts better.

You also can review their chart data online via their 'web app'. This makes it nice if you are at home and want to check a route, or an area. It's also easy to report errors. If you have their update subscription, they will fix it, then you can update your chip for your GPS Chartplotter too. It's a nice system!
Thanks for the reply. I have done some comparing (like you suggested) and because it looks so similar, I assumed that the Bizer info been used in the past. The Bizer website does not list an affiliation with Navionics (only C-Map and Garmin) so my thoughts were that perhaps the Navionics, based on an older Bizer chart, could become "outdated" by not including updates to/from the current Bizer chart.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
JPC

Thumbs down Navionics

I have a Lowrance chart plotter with the Navionics lake chart. When I first got it the Bk/Wh and Rd/Wh markers were all white. When I spoke to customer service I was told to move the cursor over the marker and the color info would be displayed. Apparantly enough people bitched about this and they modified the chart. The Rd/Wh are now little circles Red/White. The Bk/Wh markers are still all white. When you put the chart plotter in night mode it's almost impossible to see the black markers.

Go with Garmin.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
WoNHUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
I have a Lowrance chart plotter with the Navionics lake chart. When I first got it the Bk/Wh and Rd/Wh markers were all white. When I spoke to customer service I was told to move the cursor over the marker and the color info would be displayed. Apparantly enough people bitched about this and they modified the chart. The Rd/Wh are now little circles Red/White. The Bk/Wh markers are still all white. When you put the chart plotter in night mode it's almost impossible to see the black markers.

Go with Garmin.
Do the markers display differently on the Garmin?
Old 03-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post

Go with Garmin.
I haven't noticed this issue on my Raymarine chartplotter at all.

But I bet if you put in a bug report with Navionics, they would fix it. Just show them some screen shots duplicating the issue. They are very responsive.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #9
Winni_Bay

Default gps/winnie

Hello all
im in the process of getting a new tri toon
thinking to put in a simrad go5
i was told u can get it loaded with winni charts
i use to have the bizer chip in my last boat in a garman 531
anyone here have a simrad go5
i talked with bizer today c map only works in 3 years or older garman
he said navionics maps now has all bizer info
looking to have same type of navigation like the bizer map i got use to it