Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2022, 01:47 PM   #1
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 704
Thanks: 218
Thanked 220 Times in 130 Posts
Default Deer

I've noticed a lot of deer in various locations around the lake this month. It seems far more sightings than in the past.

Is this due to a milder winter or was there an unusual population increase last year?

Has anyone else had the same observations this spring?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:49 PM   #2
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,644
Thanks: 0
Thanked 325 Times in 273 Posts
Default

I notice them wherever there has been clearing.
But anyplace that has a lot of shrubbery or flowers should see an increase.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:52 PM   #3
jbolty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 615
Thanks: 278
Thanked 234 Times in 139 Posts
Default

For as long as I can remember when I had visitors from out of state I would take them to long island to see deer, it was always almost 100% chance of seeing some. Seems like the last 10 years or so they have been sparse and did not see any a bunch of times.

I do remember there was some period when hunting was allowed or maybe the state hired hunters to thin them out but in the fog of time I have no recollection of when that was. Could have been 1980 or 2005 for all I know
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:01 PM   #4
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,644
Thanks: 0
Thanked 325 Times in 273 Posts
Default

https://casetext.com/regulation/new-...nd-deer-permit


As for the geese, just nature's way of letting us know not to try and grow a manicured lawn too close to open bodies of water.

Last edited by John Mercier; 06-08-2022 at 08:04 PM.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
KPW (06-09-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
steve-on-mark
Senior Member
 
steve-on-mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Epping, NH / Mark Island
Posts: 1,098
Thanks: 88
Thanked 527 Times in 277 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
https://casetext.com/regulation/new-...nd-deer-permit

As for the geese, just nature's way of letting us know not to try and grow a manicured lawn to close to open bodies of water.
That's where the herd of cats comes into play!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
__________________
....keeping " urban decay " out of photos for nearly a year.
steve-on-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2022, 05:06 PM   #6
SAB1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tuftonboro
Posts: 1,065
Thanks: 160
Thanked 268 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
For as long as I can remember when I had visitors from out of state I would take them to long island to see deer, it was always almost 100% chance of seeing some. Seems like the last 10 years or so they have been sparse and did not see any a bunch of times.

I do remember there was some period when hunting was allowed or maybe the state hired hunters to thin them out but in the fog of time I have no recollection of when that was. Could have been 1980 or 2005 for all I know
Correct. There was controlled archery hunting allowed on the island for a number of years. I donít know if they still do it but no one was hired for that. Baiting was allowed as the deer density was much to high. Posted land seems to be popping up more and more now. That will contribute to higher deer numbers.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
DotRat (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 08:14 PM   #7
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,644
Thanks: 0
Thanked 325 Times in 273 Posts
Default

Its licensed.
Still in the law that I posted.

The LI owners caused an unnatural imbalance... and the results were overpopulation of an herbivore that attacked everything they valued.

Same with the geese...
They like open lawn areas near the water.
Grow brush near the water's edge back several feet and the geese tend to find that spot less attractive. They also don't like long grass like you see in the nearby fields.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:51 AM   #8
webmaster
Moderator
 
webmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,388
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 421
Thanked 3,563 Times in 799 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
For as long as I can remember when I had visitors from out of state I would take them to long island to see deer, it was always almost 100% chance of seeing some. Seems like the last 10 years or so they have been sparse and did not see any a bunch of times.
I took this picture from my car window about 25 years ago on Long Island. The deer would stand next to the road looking for handouts.

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:14 AM   #9
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,351
Thanks: 1,115
Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
For as long as I can remember when I had visitors from out of state I would take them to long island to see deer, it was always almost 100% chance of seeing some. Seems like the last 10 years or so they have been sparse and did not see any a bunch of times.

I do remember there was some period when hunting was allowed or maybe the state hired hunters to thin them out but in the fog of time I have no recollection of when that was. Could have been 1980 or 2005 for all I know
They're still all over Moultonborough Neck—in fact, last year I had to stop so quickly for some that the decking in my trailer slid forward and slammed into my 4Runner. A few grand in damage 'cause of three or four running across the road at 9 PM in the rain. Silly deers.

As John mentioned above, they're almost always in the clearings along the way.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:00 AM   #10
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,108
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 265
Thanked 894 Times in 647 Posts
Default

About five years ago, there were bright blue police lights up ahead, driving the Meredith Center Rd returning from Laconia. Turns out a deer crashed through the windshield on a BMW suv, and the lone driver was getting loaded into an ambulance. ....
__________________
.... age-70 & suffering terrible chronic tinnitus ... omg!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:31 AM   #11
DickR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 690
Thanks: 4
Thanked 233 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Correct. There was controlled archery hunting allowed on the island for a number of years. I don¬’t know if they still do it but no one was hired for that. Baiting was allowed as the deer density was much to high. Posted land seems to be popping up more and more now. That will contribute to higher deer numbers.
The "deer reduction program," as the BWMANH (https://sites.google.com/view/bwmanh/home) prefers to call it (not "hunting"), is ongoing every fall. The program was started some years ago in designated areas having excessively high deer populations, such as Long Island. Tree stands and baiting are used. Owner signed permission is required, and a lot must have at least one acre, separately or when combined with an abutter also giving permission. Owners can impose any conditions at all when giving permission. Since the inception of the program on Long Island, the deer have not been eating all the low leaf growth quite the way they did before, and the average weight and general health of the deer taken have improved, so the program is good for the deer as well as for the island itself.

There are indeed many who don't support the program, even though they have enough area to participate. I think this really is a case of "if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem."
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (06-13-2022), upthesaukee (06-09-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 08:47 PM   #12
SailinAway
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 816
Thanks: 218
Thanked 243 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
About five years ago, there were bright blue police lights up ahead, driving the Meredith Center Rd returning from Laconia. Turns out a deer crashed through the windshield on a BMW suv, and the lone driver was getting loaded into an ambulance. ....
Moral: one driver is never enough.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:01 AM   #13
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,604
Thanks: 903
Thanked 805 Times in 458 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Correct. There was controlled archery hunting allowed on the island for a number of years. I donít know if they still do it but no one was hired for that. Baiting was allowed as the deer density was much to high. Posted land seems to be popping up more and more now. That will contribute to higher deer numbers.
As an island resident, as others have stated this is an ongoing tradition. And will continue to be needed. The problem on the island or any island for that matter is that Hunting is actually not allowed.... Two things lead to the population problem on long island, 1st was natural, there was plenty of grazing area, and open meadows the deer recognized it, and also recognized there was no danger while on the island. The 2nd thing that lead to the over population was man, as the deer population began to be two much for the island to support, people began feeding the deer... this made the problem worse. In the late 80s and early 90s the death rate of deer on the island in the winter months from starvation was alarming... as what became a primary food source would disappear....

There was lots of opposition to the thinning of the heard, I remember seeing signs, with the phrase "the killing fields" in read paint on the main road... But eventually Fish and Game, was able to get people to wake up.... The first few years where rough, I remember talking to the hunters some of whom had been confronted headed for the tree stands... But slowly as time has gone on, and the entire event is kept very quiet, it goes off with out notice, except for those of us that know where to look. Nothing happens on the weekends, all the hunting is done during the week, and as some others have said from designated spots, and tree stands... Last I checked, the participation in the event is still limited to a single Archery Club.....

Because of this effort, the deer on the island are much healthier, they aren't everywhere like they used to be so you have to know where to look... I see some almost every weekend when I am there, and the vegetation they need to survive, has come back so the forest on the island is also extremely healthy....
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LIforrelaxin For This Useful Post:
jbolty (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 08:28 PM   #14
SAB1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tuftonboro
Posts: 1,065
Thanks: 160
Thanked 268 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
As an island resident, as others have stated this is an ongoing tradition. And will continue to be needed. The problem on the island or any island for that matter is that Hunting is actually not allowed.... Two things lead to the population problem on long island, 1st was natural, there was plenty of grazing area, and open meadows the deer recognized it, and also recognized there was no danger while on the island. The 2nd thing that lead to the over population was man, as the deer population began to be two much for the island to support, people began feeding the deer... this made the problem worse. In the late 80s and early 90s the death rate of deer on the island in the winter months from starvation was alarming... as what became a primary food source would disappear....

There was lots of opposition to the thinning of the heard, I remember seeing signs, with the phrase "the killing fields" in read paint on the main road... But eventually Fish and Game, was able to get people to wake up.... The first few years where rough, I remember talking to the hunters some of whom had been confronted headed for the tree stands... But slowly as time has gone on, and the entire event is kept very quiet, it goes off with out notice, except for those of us that know where to look. Nothing happens on the weekends, all the hunting is done during the week, and as some others have said from designated spots, and tree stands... Last I checked, the participation in the event is still limited to a single Archery Club.....

Because of this effort, the deer on the island are much healthier, they aren't everywhere like they used to be so you have to know where to look... I see some almost every weekend when I am there, and the vegetation they need to survive, has come back so the forest on the island is also extremely healthy....
Great post and thanks for showing the benefit of hunting.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.81366 seconds