Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Greene's Mansion

Back in the late 60's my dad was a builder of fine homes. He was contracted to replace most of the roof at the Greene's Mansion on Long Island.

I spent many days helping my dad replace the roof. I had a chance to explore the house with permission from the caretaker at the time. The furniture, decor, etc send me back to the late 1800's, early 1900's. The mansion had quite the story to tell.

An elderly woman was living in the house at the time, I can't recall what was her relationship to the house, but the stories she told were unbeleivable. I wish I had taped them as I faintly remember some of them.

The carriage house or barn had a collection of coaches and buggies. I beleive one of the coach was built by Concord coach. What was unique was it can be converted to a sled for the winter.

There was also a beautiful Packard limosine. The story I heard that it was once used by President Franklin Roosevelt as a personal vehicle during a visit.

I visit Land's End and it is gated. The question I have is the mansion and surrounding buildings still standing and in good shape? What are they being use for? Are the furniture and fixtures still there? Does the carriage house still have the coaches, buggies and car? All they all gone?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
bclaker

Interesting bit of history.

Is the Dr Green mentioned in this link the Green that owned Green's Mansion?

http://weirsbeach.com/reasons-to-vis...ic/music-hall/
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Is the Greene's Mansion what is now the renovated building at Land's End?
It was quite a while ago, but I walked through it, and I believe it was being made into condos.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Default The brothers Greene

From what I can read there were two brothers and two mansions on Long Island. Dr Alonzo Greene of patent medicine fame and Dr Gardner Greene. The former owned Roxmount that was burned to the ground and the latter owned Windermere.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
From what I can read there were two brothers and two mansions on Long Island. Dr Alonzo Greene of patent medicine fame and Dr Gardner Greene. The former owned Roxmount that was burned to the ground and the latter owned Windermere.
BroadHopper: I put together some history of the Dr. Greenes and their respective mansions a few years ago which may be found here
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ghlight=Greene

Dr. Greene

Last edited by mcdude; 08-01-2013 at 05:56 PM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
bclaker (08-01-2013), BroadHopper (08-01-2013), SunsetPointWentworth (08-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Formula

Default Greene Mansion

Quote:
Back in the late 60's my dad was a builder of fine homes. He was contracted to replace most of the roof at the Greene's Mansion on Long Island.

I spent many days helping my dad replace the roof. I had a chance to explore the house with permission from the caretaker at the time. The furniture, decor, etc send me back to the late 1800's, early 1900's. The mansion had quite the story to tell.

An elderly woman was living in the house at the time, I can't recall what was her relationship to the house, but the stories she told were unbeleivable. I wish I had taped them as I faintly remember some of them.

The carriage house or barn had a collection of coaches and buggies. I beleive one of the coach was built by Concord coach. What was unique was it can be converted to a sled for the winter.

There was also a beautiful Packard limosine. The story I heard that it was once used by President Franklin Roosevelt as a personal vehicle during a visit.

I visit Land's End and it is gated. The question I have is the mansion and surrounding buildings still standing and in good shape? What are they being use for? Are the furniture and fixtures still there? Does the carriage house still have the coaches, buggies and car? All they all gone?

Thanks.

Sometime around 1982 the property was bough by a developer which contained the main house about 10,000 square feet, the barn about 8,000 square feet and the gatehouse along with 53 acres. The sale price was about $500,000. The antique belongings was sold for about $250,000.
The developer planed about 60 homes/condos.
After much legal battles with the neighbors the project was scaled back to 30 homes/condos. During the downturn of the 80's only 20 were built. The mansion unfortunately was broken up into 4 apartment style condos. Most of the interior was keep including the main gathering room.
Some of the surrounding neighbors continue to try to influence the activities on the property.
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Formula For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Default Tour

There was a lot of antiques. $250,000 was a good number for the 80's. I wonder who bought the Packard and the coach?

Is there any way I can get a tour of the mansion today. I like to refresh my memory.

I do remember the roof was slate and tons of copper. The owner had us repair the copper flashings with copper flashings. My Dad had to repair all the broken slate shingles with slates made in VT. Much of the soffits were rotted and replace as close to the original. The owner paid a lot of money.

$500,000 for just the mansion was cheap. FORMULA you have not mention the barn/carriage house. Was that converted to apartment condos?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Formula

Quote:
There was a lot of antiques. $250,000 was a good number for the 80's. I wonder who bought the Packard and the coach?

Is there any way I can get a tour of the mansion today. I like to refresh my memory.

I do remember the roof was slate and tons of copper. The owner had us repair the copper flashings with copper flashings. My Dad had to repair all the broken slate shingles with slates made in VT. Much of the soffits were rotted and replace as close to the original. The owner paid a lot of money.

$500,000 for just the mansion was cheap. FORMULA you have not mention the barn/carriage house. Was that converted to apartment condos?
The slate roof is gone. My guess is when the converted it to condos it got a new roof which was asphalt. The roof was just repalced again 3 years ago.

The barn was to be converted into 4-5 condos but that was part of the reduction during the econonic downturn in the 80's. The barn is still in mostly its orginial state. Some damage over the years.

The gatehouse is still there and is now a private home.

I dont think I can get you into the mansion but I should be able to get you on the property. Please send me a PM to see what I can do.
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
JDeere

Default Formula?

How can neighbors influence activities? Never heard of that before????
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote