Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
elchase

Default Supporters thread

I joined this forum to talk about sailing, but was so quickly attacked for not opposing the speed limit that I almost quit, as I'm sure many before me have done. But when I saw the recent speed limit thread and how oddly unanimous it was, I realized that getting people like me to quit was the hope of the small group of performance boaters who have hijacked this forum.

Since the other threads are apparently only for those who oppose reasonable boating limits, this thread will only be for those who support them. If you post anything derogatory about the speed limit law, sailing, kayaking, canoeing, and other less aggressive boating activities on this thread, or if you insult those who support these activities, we will not brand you a troll, insult you, and try to intimidate. We will simply ask the moderator to delete you or move your post to one of the other threads, and block you from further postings on this thread. And those of us who support sensible speed laws and limits on our lake should respect the other threads and stay off of them.

If you have something good to say about "the law" or its supporters, post it here. If something bad to say, post it there. This way we can keep all threads friendly and avoid all of the bickering. If you were just an unregistered reader, afraid to weigh in, please register and weigh in now without fear. This is "our" thread. And please tell your friends.

I think the permanence of the speed limit law would be a great thing. I recall all those who bashed the no-wake zoning of Meredith Bay, even well into its first couple of years, but few can argue now with the huge benefit it has brought to the community. Seeing the lake finally returned to a place where boaters of all types are welcome to share the lake, it would be a real shame to take a big step back from this reasonable compromise (45 is still a very fast speed that over 95% of the boats on this lake can't even reach) to the selfish and wild place it had become in the 90's (the "me" decade, by the way).

Despite the false impression one would get from reading some of the other threads on this forum, which seems to have become a magnet for the go fast - be loud crowd, we know that over 80% of NH's citizens (the regular people) want this law. We see why that majority is afraid to express their opinion on this forum, because they are attacked relentlessly and called trolls. That will not happen on this one thread, which will be our thread, and I ask the moderator to please police to ensure that and delete any troll-posts or attempts to sabotage.

While there are certainly other factors at play this year, we have seen that even on sunny days, and even when gas prices have dropped far below last year's levels, boats are going much slower this year. People are sailing and canoeing again without the fear that they had of being run over or swamped by a five-ton hull going 70 miles per hour. This fear may or may not have been deserved, but it was real. And when people are scared or intimidated, then boating for them ceases to be an enjoyable recreational activity, and they are thereby chased from their own lake.

Fishing is more enjoyable this year. The lake is quieter. Some blame the economy, but I'm seeing plenty of performance boats out there going under 45MP (on plane) and they do not seem to be suffering from the bad economy...they are simply obeying the law as most Americans do.

Fathers are taking their kids tubing and water skiing again and families are going for evening ice-cream cruises again. Try to get a dock in Meredith this year and you see how many people are boating to dinner again. That is not because the weather and economy are bad, it is because the conditions on the lake now allow it again.

Let's not let a small but aggressive minority undo all the wonderful things that this law has wrought. Let's organize our support and let our legislators know that the vast majority of NH voters are strongly supportive of making the Winnipesaukee speed limit permanent.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-04-2009)