Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default I think this guy should be arrested now.....

http://www.wmur.com/news/26128164/detail.html

OMG he was protecting his stuff and not inside his home either. So? Does he get jail time now or what? He was obviously not in fear for his life nor was he under threat of severe bodily harm......
Heck he could have killed the guy with that hockey stick.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post

OMG he was protecting his stuff and not inside his home either. So? Does he get jail time now or what? He was obviously not in fear for his life nor was he under threat of severe bodily harm......

Too bad that he didn't....there would be less scum on this earth!
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yosemite Sam For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (12-14-2010), CGI3 (12-14-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Puck

Two minutes for slashing... unless they find the guys and he drew blood in which case it would be a double minor totaling 4 minutes. It would be hard to give him a 5 minute major for intent to injure as there were no witnesses...
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Puck For This Useful Post:
Gatto Nero (12-14-2010), Grant (12-15-2010), wildwoodfam (12-16-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Island-Ho

Default Good for Him

He should have at least beat the @#$% out of them before the authorities arrived. Live Free or ....
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
John A. Birdsall

Default burgulars

Have mercy on them, it was cold out and perhaps a bit windy and they were just trying to survive. Convient that a hockey stick was nearby, didn't say they were near ice rink. The guy should have invited them in for a bit of tea.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
AllAbourdon

Lucky they werent trying to break into my car. They would need to get some bridgework done.
AllAbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Mr. V

He won't be charged, IF it is confirmed that "One of the men had something in

his hand and raised it."

Other than that, yeah, he could be charged.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post

I hope you are joking on this. He was protecting what was rightfully his and also they were tresspassing on his land.

if that is the case I would need your address so I can come grab some new christmas gifts
Old 12-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
jniff101

Default Are you joking!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
I hope you are joking on this. He was protecting what was rightfully his and also they were tresspassing on his land.

if that is the case I would need your address so I can come grab some new christmas gifts
Seriously AC2717 I agree with you! The poor kids won't get the Christmas they were hoping for. I'd beat the crap out of these guys for that fact alone!

Lakesrider please tell me your kidding.......
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
jniff101

Well looking back on this post you wrote about Ward Bird I'm going to guess that your comment is a joke lakesrider

(post by lakesrider):"My thought about all of the gun stuff..

If you are going to pull a gun on someone that is on your property or trying to get into your house or trying, or looking like they are trying to hurt you. Shoot them. If you don't kill them, shoot them again until they are dead. It is their word against yours. If they are dead they have no word. And if they were trying to assault you, they should have no word to begin with and belong dead. Very, very dead.

The only reason I would ever raise and point a gun at anyone is to shoot them and kill them. I am going to do my level best to make sure that person does not make it out of my house alive.

That is my theory on home defense. Kill them before they kill you."
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jniff101 For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (12-14-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
chipj29

There is no victim in this case. The victim (burglar) ran away, and has not yet filed a report of an assault to press charges against the homeowner. This is only the homeowner claiming that he hit him with a hockey stick. For all we know, the homeowner is pulling an elaborate insurance scam*.

Remember, there are 2 sides to every story. This story only has 1 side.

*I am NOT suggesting this is the case. Just saying it is possible.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
sa meredith

Default funniest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Two minutes for slashing... unless they find the guys and he drew blood in which case it would be a double minor totaling 4 minutes. It would be hard to give him a 5 minute major for intent to injure as there were no witnesses...
If not the funniest...this is certainly the most clever response I have ever read on this forum. Freakin' classic!
Should be noted...an intent to injure would also disqualify him for the remainder of case...and be subject to league review.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yes my thought post was tongue in cheek. Stemming from the response I got in the Ward Bird gun thread. People say not to use a weapon unless you are in mortal fear for your life. Yet this guy took on a burglar, OUTSIDE of his home with a hockey stick. (Yes convenient to find one on the ground outside his home eh?) This over simple possessions. So if and I say IF he did knock the guy on the head and killed one of them, what would/should happen to the homeowner?

Myself I am still in the mind that if some burglar did that to me.....You would never hear about it. I would simply drag the guy off to some undisclosed area and dump the body......Let the woodland creatures have some tasty treats....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
MarkinNH

Maybe if the homeowner had the sense to use a "BROOM" He wouldn't have even had to approach the bad guys, just stand in his doorway and shake the broom and say. Go Away, you bad men you !!
After all, Nothing puts fear into the heart of a criminal quicker then the sight of a "BROOM"
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
Pineedles

I think the guy is pretty brave to defend his property "outside" his house. Whatever method he used, he did OK in my book.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (12-16-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
robmac

Kind of a funny story to go with this. I have two very friendly Labs,one day a friend was returning my truck which he had borrowed,I told him just leave the keys in it to which he replied he'd just put them on the kitchen counter as he had the garage door opener. Make a long story short I reminded him to call for the dogs before going into the kitchen,oooopps he forgot well he won't do that again. I rewarded them with a steak,you come onto or into my home or property uninvited you get what you get. We all work very hard to just stay afloat these days and anyone thinking they can steal or knock some elderly person down and rob them well if they slip on the stairs while going to court oh well. JMHO
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #17
NoRegrets

One of the two thieves squared off against the owner on his property. Two on one. I would believe he would have every right to feel he was in trouble and use any level of "protection" against an agressive stance from one criminal. Get him a good citizen award and celebrate his successful confrontation!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #18
KDL

Or, quietly dial 911, sit back and observe. Likely two arrested, and you get your stuff back.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #19
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDL View Post
Or, quietly dial 911, sit back and observe. Likely two arrested, and you get your stuff back.
What fantasy world do you live in ??

In the Real World it goes more like.
Dial 911, while your explaining to a 911 operator what the emergency is, they then have to connect you to a local police dispatcher to whom you will explain again what the emergency is, in the mean time your cars are being destroyed and your belongings stolen. By the time the police actually arrive, the thieves are long gone and you will never see your stuff again.
Unfortunate but true. Very seldom will the police ever be close enough to get to the crime while it is still under way.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #20
KDL

You could very well be correct. I would like to think the response time in my community would be quick enough, but who knows. Most likely it would not have a text book ending. Regardless, I still question how wise it is for and individual to confront two unknowns, in the dark, in order to save stuff.

Beating them with a stick sure would feel good though.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #21
JDeere

Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Other than that, yeah, he could be charged.
I think before he can be charged with anything the "victim" would have to file a complaint first. Just a small catch 22 for the perp?
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #22
riverat

He noticed the overhead light on in his truck, probably was surprised to find two individuals going through his truck when he got there. Than one of them squares off with him and seems to want to confront him. Now the situation changes from; Oh darn I left the light on, to.. Crap this guy is going to kill me!
So by all means grab whatever is available and beat the crap out of him until he is no longer a danger to you or your family. He did good under the circumstances.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #23
This'nThat

What the Puck is going in in this world, when someone would steal a kid's hockey equipment?

Even if these criminals are caught, some bleeding-heart lawyer and judge will probably let them skate free because -- after all -- it's Christmas! And in the meantime, the homeowner is stuck with the aftermath, probably having to now work overtime to get enough money to replace these items.

We all need to make sure that these criminals, when the net is finally thrown over them, serve their full penalty, and that bail or jail time isn't slashed because of excuses like "first time offense".
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #24
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
He noticed the overhead light on in his truck, probably was surprised to find two individuals going through his truck when he got there. Than one of them squares off with him and seems to want to confront him. Now the situation changes from; Oh darn I left the light on, to.. Crap this guy is going to kill me!
So by all means grab whatever is available and beat the crap out of him until he is no longer a danger to you or your family. He did good under the circumstances.
How about this...
He notices the overhead light on in his truck, and is surprised to find an individual in his truck when he got there. He grabs the hockey stick and starts swinging...only to find out it is his neighbor trying to help him out by turning off the overhead light.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #25
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
How about this...
He notices the overhead light on in his truck, and is surprised to find an individual in his truck when he got there. He grabs the hockey stick and starts swinging...only to find out it is his neighbor trying to help him out by turning off the overhead light.
Go back and re-read the actual article. The homeowner was in no way confused over what he was confronting. There was no doubt on his part regarding whether these people were his neighbors lending a helping hand vs. criminals stealing property.

I think your alternative "scenario" is more than a bit far-fetched. Can I assume you're presenting it here to tell the rest of us that this homeowner acted rashly, and that perhaps he should have just gone back into his house and hid under the bed? Or worse yet, gathered up his family and escaped out the back door so as to offer no possible resistance whatsoever to the thieves?

This alternative, unrealistic scenario is confusing to me, and requires further explanation, methinks.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #26
Onshore

I dare anyone to steal my hockey equipment. Seriously you won't get far before the smell drops you... and mine is, comparatively speaking, not that bad. Anyone foolish enough to steal a 10 to 18 year-old, travel-playing, boy's hockey bag deserves what's coming to him when he opens it.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #27
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Another angle....what if the kid who robbed him was under 18......assault on a minor.....also,what if he was black.Now it's a hate crime.Some pony-tailed ACLU lawyer will have that poor guy doing 30 years for trying to protect his own property.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #28
nvtngtxpyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
What the Puck is going in in this world, when someone would steal a kid's hockey equipment?
Oh gawd, here we go.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #29
fatlazyless

Default ...Used ice skate & hockey deals!

Say what......listen up here....the Etcetera Shoppe in Meredith, next to Dunkin' Donuts, is stocked and over stocked with ice skates; children's, adult's, figure skating, ice hockey, even one pair of long blade, speed skates! For anyone looking for ice hockey equipment, they have a fair selection of of ice hockey over-socks, elbow guards, shoulder pads, helmets, gloves, and hockey sticks!

Their inventory of used ice skates that are in like new condition is pretty impressive. They must have ove 100 different pair of very slightly used ice skates, so get on over to the Etcetera Shoppe, and then head over to the new 14-million dollar ice arena at Plymouth State.

Instead of moan'n & groan'n about someone getting their hockey stuff stolen, it's time to hit the ice.....
Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #30
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Probably off topic

But every man has a right to defend his castle (Property). This attack was justified.

Kevin Doane, who was recently murdered in Ashland, was a well known participant during the Winni Water Ski Races in the 70's. He was the observer for many boats including the 'Basty Nastard'. He is seen frequently in the summer tubing down the Pemi in Ashland.

The woman who killed him, was found by Kevin, homeless and cold. Out of the goodness in his heart, he sheltered the woman and tried to find her a job. When he realized that she is not helping herself, matters turned to death. I have no compassion for someone who would kill a compassionate individual and shows no compassion. Even if she is a black female. Everyone should be treated the same.

Now the family is saying she is mentally ill. I hope that as well as her sex and race does not give her the 'Get out of jail' card. May she rot in jail.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #31
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDL View Post
MWWWAAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAGGG* --(gasp)--HAAHAAHAA!

Oh, now look what I've done. I've sprayed soup all over my screen.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #32
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post

AC2717 - Do you know a LAWYER once told me if you have a "beware of Dog" sign posted on your property and someone gets bitten cutting through YOUR YARD you can be sued for the damages the dog causes? But that's another argument for another day.

Any lawyers out there care too comment?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #33
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
:
Kevin Doane..... Ashland,.....I have no compassion for someone who would kill a compassionate individual and shows no compassion. Even if she is a black female. Everyone should be treated the same.

Now the family is saying she is mentally ill.
There's most likely a lot of information on this that has not been made public yet.

I believe I read in the papers that she had put herself through college and earned a degree in nursing, and since then, now at the age of 35 and homeless, was having mental health problems with schizophrenia.

Could be that in a case like this, the legal outcome will be influenced by how strong a courtroom defense can be presented with the use of expert witnesses, and a motivated defense attorney. After all who does a better job, an over-worked public defender, or a well paid, legal defense team?
Old 12-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #34
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
Maybe if the homeowner had the sense to use a "BROOM" He wouldn't have even had to approach the bad guys, just stand in his doorway and shake the broom and say. Go Away, you bad men you !!
After all, Nothing puts fear into the heart of a criminal quicker then the sight of a "BROOM"

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #35
chipj29

Quote:
Go back and re-read the actual article. The homeowner was in no way confused over what he was confronting. There was no doubt on his part regarding whether these people were his neighbors lending a helping hand vs. criminals stealing property.

I think your alternative "scenario" is more than a bit far-fetched. Can I assume you're presenting it here to tell the rest of us that this homeowner acted rashly, and that perhaps he should have just gone back into his house and hid under the bed? Or worse yet, gathered up his family and escaped out the back door so as to offer no possible resistance whatsoever to the thieves?

This alternative, unrealistic scenario is confusing to me, and requires further explanation, methinks.
Just presenting an alternate scenario. In this instance, we only have 1 side of the story. The other persons side of the story could be completely different.

Not that I think it should be compared to the Ward Bird thing, I think it could be. It would be another case of "he said, she said". The homeowner says one thing, while the "perp" says the other.

And to be perfectly clear, if the homeowner is indeed telling the true story, I would probably react in a similar way.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #36
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Say what......listen up here....the Etcetera Shoppe in Meredith, next to Dunkin' Donuts, is stocked and over stocked with ice skates; children's, adult's, figure skating, ice hockey, even one pair of long blade, speed skates! For anyone looking for ice hockey equipment, they have a fair selection of of ice hockey over-socks, elbow guards, shoulder pads, helmets, gloves, and hockey sticks!

Their inventory of used ice skates that are in like new condition is pretty impressive
. They must have ove 100 different pair of very slightly used ice skates, so get on over to the Etcetera Shoppe, and then head over to the new 14-million dollar ice arena at Plymouth State.

Instead of moan'n & groan'n about someone getting their hockey stuff stolen, it's time to hit the ice.....
I'll 2nd that. If you can't find what you need there for ice skating equipment, there's a problem.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #37
This'nThat

Default You're overlooking the obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Just presenting an alternate scenario. In this instance, we only have 1 side of the story. The other persons side of the story could be completely different.

It would be another case of "he said, she said". The homeowner says one thing, while the "perp" says the other.
I don't think this is a case of "he said, she said". Again, I urge you to read the article. Several cars were broken into in the neighborhood that evening. The police have multiple reports.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #38
chipj29

Quote:
I don't think this is a case of "he said, she said". Again, I urge you to read the article. Several cars were broken into in the neighborhood that evening. The police have multiple reports.
Again, I am just playing devils advocate here, and presenting alternate scenarios.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #39
wuwu

Let me get this straight...two males going through stuff in vehicle...homeowner takes a hockey stick to one of them....Does homeowner go to jail now...maybe they were looking for a new place to stay...or looking to buy a vehicle...does homeowner go to jail? hmmmmmm
wuwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #40
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtngtxpyr View Post
Oh gawd, here we go.
I'll stick up for that post.