Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
itchin for fishin

Question Tipping at gas docks

How are you folks handling tipping at gas docks. Specifically, if you get a "pump out" what kind of $ are you giving these guys vs a simple fill up?
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Smile

Here's what I do. I wait till wednesday and go to the MountainMarketMobil on Rt 25 in Meredith which is next to the Etcetera Shop and save nickel/gallon. Plus I finally got a four stroke outboard and can cruise from Meredith Neck to Centre Harbor to Black Cat Island to Melvin Village to Timber Island to Gov Island to Weir's Beach and back to Meredith Neck on about three gallons of gas. It's a 70hp Suzuki. Sorry if this response doesn't address your question but at least I'm consistant!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
ART

Default Art

I pull up in my over-horsepowered speed boat to buy my overpriced gas that I will burn away all too quickly. Yes I tip! Every single time. I start with a few dollars for random service and go up from there for a real nice effort.

Some will say 'it is the gas attendent's job so why tip' but I would feel cheap not to tip under the circumstances outlined above.
ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:20 AM   #4
Rolie

Yup....$3 to $5 depending on how much gas.......and attitude of the gas attendant. I have found most to be pleasant and accomodating and most appreciative of the tip.
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #5
CentreHarborEric

Default Gas Dock

Used to be a marine petroleum transfer technician myself in Meredith during college.
The tips are great, esp. if you are going to be a repeat customer somewhere. They should remember you, and take good care of you and the boat if there is something extra in it for them...nice if you are at a gas dock with a lot of wave action to keep the boat away from the dock, clean up when they are done, etc...
We didn't charge extra for pump outs, so a tip is only fair...certainly not a fun job, even if it is part of the job description...
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2004, 11:49 AM   #6
VarneyPoint

I also worked at a gas dock during my high school summers and also during the first couple of years of college. My feelings are that if it takes a lot of effort to fill up your boat, ie. hanging off the side, crawling all over the place, standing there holding the pump for 20 minutes, then a $2 to $5 tip is appropriate. If you own a small boat that fills quickly and easily then I can understand not tipping. I believe if you get a pump out you should always tip something, it is never a pleasant experience no matter how much deodorant you put in your tank. I always appreciated being tipped and definitely made me remember specific customers which in turn got them better service like fending off their boat and cleaning off any spills/drips.
VarneyPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:13 PM   #7
itchin for fishin

Default Thanks

Thanks for you help guys. I guess I was doing right. I just didn't want to be a cheapo.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote