Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
AKADQ

Post Paugus Diner Auction

Saturday was the auction for Paugus diner and was told it had sold to someone local. It was rumored that the owners of Sunrise Cafe' of Union Ave was the successfull bidders , can anyone confirm.
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Waterbaby

What happened to the business, do you know? I was shocked when I heard about the auction, I thought that place would be there forever.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
trfour

Default Omg....

I hope Al and the gang are as good as ever. The best people in the world, Forget the great food and service!.... Say it ain't so..

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
topwater

Thumbs down

Surprised it went under?? All kidding aside, when was the last time any on you were in there? The place was filthy, service was not good, and the food was just OK. Please don't talk about your wonderful breakfast you had there 3 years ago. Yeh, I'm a local and have seen it go down hill for years, the last time I was there it was disgusting and I realize there are many more and better and cleaner places then the diner.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
Surprised it went under?? All kidding aside, when was the last time any on you were in there? The place was filthy, service was not good, and the food was just OK. Please don't talk about your wonderful breakfast you had there 3 years ago. Yeh, I'm a local and have seen it go down hill for years, the last time I was there it was disgusting and I realize there are many more and better and cleaner places then the diner.
This was unfortunately my experience as well when we went there sometime mid last year.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
AKADQ

Thumbs up Sunrise Cafe, New Owners of Diner

I was able to confirm that the new owners are from the Sunrise Cafe in Lakeport..I was told they will operate business at both locations. Any of you who have not ate at the Sunrise Cafe should check them out. I think they will be very successful in their new home. They put out a good breakfast, good service and very clean. I think it will be a big improvement from the previous management at the Diner, a win win for the Lakes Region....
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Waterbaby

Quote:
The last time I was there was last spring, I've been a patron of theirs for years............... at that time yes it could have been a bit cleaner and the service could have been a bit better, and most of the food was actually "wonderful" (sorry to use that word).

Question for you -- you say you are a local -- would you mind defining that for me? Just wanting my curiosity answered......... thanks.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
topwater

I have no idea why you would want me to define that, it really seems like your looking for something to be able to jump on, like alot of imported people on this site do. But for you , the one that DOES NOT KNOW what a local is. I am 53 born and raised in the Laconia area, and as a local, I have seen NEW HAMPSHIRE go to hell in a hand basket. All NH is, is a shell of the state it once was, you can look into that statement waterbaby as long as you want. Thats how a LOCAL see it. Now tell me about your wonderful past, so I may look at it and try to makes comments on it like you are trying to mine. Are you a local, or just someone who comes up during the summer and ruins the State for everyone else with thier HOLYER THEN THOU attitude?
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
RLW

Quote:
Are you a local, or just someone who comes up during the summer and ruins the State for everyone else with thier HOLYER THEN THOU attitude?
Are you referring that all that come to NH from another state other than NH are HOLY-ER THAN THOU?? If so I believe you are defiantly in the wrong for making such a statement and if not you should explain what you mean by that statement before this thread goes to heck in a hand basket for such comments.
Ropetow (03-06-2009), Waterbaby (03-05-2009)
Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
sa meredith

Default relax

Quote:
I have no idea why you would want me to define that, it really seems like your looking for something to be able to jump on, like alot of imported people on this site do. But for you , the one that DOES NOT KNOW what a local is. I am 53 born and raised in the Laconia area, and as a local, I have seen NEW HAMPSHIRE go to hell in a hand basket. All NH is, is a shell of the state it once was, you can look into that statement waterbaby as long as you want. Thats how a LOCAL see it. Now tell me about your wonderful past, so I may look at it and try to makes comments on it like you are trying to mine. Are you a local, or just someone who comes up during the summer and ruins the State for everyone else with thier HOLYER THEN THOU attitude?
Really???!!! That's how you read her post? I don't see it. Just seemed like a simple question. In fact, it would seem you are indeed the one looking "for something to jump on".
I'm not sure what business you own (he said, tongue firmly in cheek) but my guess would be just about every business owner in the lakes region would take issue with your statement "....comes up duirng the summer and ruins the State..."
Why say such a thing? Seems a bit strong.
I believe your first statment about the diner was informative, and added nicely to the thread. It added something. You know the place well, and watched it go down hill. Great.
Waterbaby wanted to know what you meant by "local".
What's the big deal?
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
jeffk (03-05-2009), Ropetow (03-06-2009), Waterbaby (03-05-2009)
Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Nadia

Smile Same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADQ View Post
Saturday was the auction for Paugus diner and was told it had sold to someone local. It was rumored that the owners of Sunrise Cafe' of Union Ave was the successfull bidders , can anyone confirm.
I heard exactly the same, but cannot actually "confirm" it either.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
valhala

Default State/Visitor debate or restaurant reviews ?

Just my observation;
I was just catching up on the "restaurant information" on the forum. In reading the thread on the Patrick's Pub/Fun Spot Bingo and then this thread, I noticed that Topwater seemed to have the same issues about visitors from another state. The same angry tone was displayed there, too - towards Jetskier.
I see no point in bringing that up in a "restaurant information" thread.
valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to valhala For This Useful Post:
jetskier (03-05-2009), Ropetow (03-06-2009), Waterbaby (03-05-2009)
Old 03-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
Meredith lady

Default welcome!

As a local and a business operator I can honestly tell you the locals keep us alive throughout the long winter and we are grateful to them 12 months a year. But who doesn't look forward to the big times-summer months, fishing derbies, bike week?? These returning visitors from other states are most welcome in my book!
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
Ropetow

Quote:
You sure you are a local? Is it just a coincidence that you have a town named after you? In MA? You know the one....just up Route 129 a bit from Swampscott?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
Tank151

Default That's o.k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Are you referring that all that come to NH from another state other than NH are HOLY-ER THAN THOU?? If so I believe you are defiantly in the wrong for making such a statement and if not you should explain what you mean by that statement before this thread goes to heck in a hand basket for such comments.
I'm assuming he's referring to us "flat-landers" or "Mass-holes"? He's blaming "us" for the economy and decline of local businesses able to sustain staying afloat? It's funny how when "we" come up for the summer months, most businesses are financially fine. But during the winter months, these proclaimed "locals" don't provide enough support for these businesses to stay open?

I don't proclaim to be "HOLY-ER THAN THOU", but please don't blame folks who pay EQUAL taxes the fault to the decline of local businesses.
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #16
pjs1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank151 View Post
I'm assuming he's referring to us "flat-landers" or "Mass-holes"? He's blaming "us" for the economy and decline of local businesses able to sustain staying afloat? It's funny how when "we" come up for the summer months, most businesses are financially fine. But during the winter months, these proclaimed "locals" don't provide enough support for these businesses to stay open?

I don't proclaim to be "HOLY-ER THAN THOU", but please don't blame folks who pay EQUAL taxes the fault to the decline of local businesses.
cant we all just get along
pjs1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #17
jetskier

Post Hmmm.....

Personally, I spend more money in New Hampshire than I do in Massachusetts. Fundamentally, much of the New Hampshire economy is dependent upon Massachusetts spending in this area. So, it seems pretty counter productive to continue vilifying those that support two states. In these times, I would be thankful that money is coming into the economy locally and from Massachusetts.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

True, jetskier and from other states too. I think the issue is that SOME out of staters come with an attitude and keep letting the natives know how important they are and the natives get frustrated about that after a while. Just like everything. A few spoil it for all.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #19
gonetoolong

Default Call me crazy but....

...a long time ago wasn't the Paugus diner in a different location on the lake side of the road? I seem to remember going there as a little kid with my dad. & I mean a long time ago, like 40 - 45 years ago....
gonetoolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Wink Paugus Diner was on Paugus Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetoolong View Post
...a long time ago wasn't the Paugus diner in a different location on the lake side of the road? I seem to remember going there as a little kid with my dad. & I mean a long time ago, like 40 - 45 years ago....
Yes, the Paugus Diner was where or near where the former Burger King was. I remember the cook 'Spider' Osgood. he not only cook a good meal, he put on a good show at the same time!

Jeez! I'm dating myself!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #21
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Back to the topic at hand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADQ View Post
I was able to confirm that the new owners are from the Sunrise Cafe in Lakeport..I was told they will operate business at both locations.
If we're done bickering....can anyone tell me when they plan to reopen?

Hey! I found a photo of Spider on Google!

Ken Osgood from the old Shore Diner

link to PHOTO OF INTERIOR of DINER

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 AM   #22
Meredith lady

Default diner opening

The Paugus diner was hoping to reopen by Memorial Day, but fear they will not be ready until Bike Week...
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meredith lady For This Useful Post:
mcdude (05-06-2009)
Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #23
The Big Kahuna

Default Get out the bulldozer

Old buildings like the Paugus Diner, and The Weirs, the whole thing, lets get out the bulldozers and level those things to the ground! We need new or fixed up attractive builds to dress up the lake area, like what they have done in Merredith. The Laconia area needs a face lift.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Kahuna For This Useful Post:
dpg (05-11-2009)
Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #24
eillac@dow

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Can improvements be made? Sure. But bulldoze? Kind of strong in my opinion.

The Paugus Bay Diner, The Wiers and many other places like that are what I have come to love about NH.

I find it a shame when places like this go away. I tell my kids....."this place used to be.........and over there was ......". I would hate to have to say "and that used to be the Wiers".

Again....my opinion.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (05-12-2009), Resident 2B (05-10-2009)
Old 05-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #25
Waterbaby

Thumbs up Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Can improvements be made? Sure. But bulldoze? Kind of strong in my opinion.

The Paugus Bay Diner, The Wiers and many other places like that are what I have come to love about NH.

I find it a shame when places like this go away. I tell my kids....."this place used to be.........and over there was ......". I would hate to have to say "and that used to be the Wiers".
Your opinion, and mine.
BroadHopper (05-10-2009), Resident 2B (05-10-2009), Wolfeboro_Baja (05-11-2009)