Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
Garcia

Default Cleaning the interior

I have two boats with textured fiberglass floors. With all the use the boats get, the floors get really dirty. I regularly scrub the boats with a soapy mixture of boat specific soap, but they don't "sparkle". I'm not a neat freak and the boats are definitely used a lot for all kinds of things, but I would like the insides to get a bit cleaner. Any suggestions as to what to use?
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,497 Times in 974 Posts
Default Sparkle?

I'm not sure a non-skid floor/deck will "sparkle". What about snap in carpets to protect? BTW on my most recent(used) purchase, the first thing I did was to remove the carpet and store it so it would look new when I decided to sell.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:23 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Carpet cleaning

I have used a pressure washer on carpets before but learned to make sure the underside is completely dry before putting it back in the boat. The rubber backing really smells when it is wet and it stays wet if it is out back in too early.

Last weekend I took the carpets out and laid them out on the dock and used my house carpet shampoo machine. They came out great.

I would not be afraid to use that in the boat to clean the floor but it might be a little tight around the seats and other small areas.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I have used a pressure washer on carpets before but learned to make sure the underside is completely dry before putting it back in the boat. The rubber backing really smells when it is wet and it stays wet if it is out back in too early.

Last weekend I took the carpets out and laid them out on the dock and used my house carpet shampoo machine. They came out great.

I would not be afraid to use that in the boat to clean the floor but it might be a little tight around the seats and other small areas.

I think Star Brite non skid deck cleaner does a great job. I just put my carpet back in because the wet dirty feet made the boat look dirty all the time and I'm too anal for that. The underside of my carpet is black and that is starting to speckle off though so I guess it's a no win situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
salty dog

Default Spray Nine

I have found the "Spray Nine" AP disinfectant cleaner is amazing for what it can remove. Although not specifically designed to do a whole deck, I would probably put it in a pump up sprayer to apply and then brush/agitate. The fact that it is rated as a disinfectant is just a bonus, it just cleans fantastically. I use it for many applications. Anyway, just a thought for you; not too expensive to try a bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2017, 07:03 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default no slip surface

I wash the interior floor like I would the exterior of the boat. Plenty of water, boat soap and plenty of rinse water. This also helps with cleaning the bilge out.

If there are any spots left, a little acetone will do. Just make sure you don't over do it.

I will use the buffer and Finesse II and wax it like the interior. And no it does not get slippery.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
FlyingScot

Default Be green

Whatever you decide, keep Dan's excellent recent post on the outdoor shower in mind. Any cleaner or chemical that you use near the lake is going to go into the lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I think it is wonderful that you care enough about the lake to ask this question!

Your outdoor shower should have some kind of gravel pit below it for all water to collect and seep into the ground properly with no runoff. If you were not using soap products in the shower I would not worry about anything as you are simply rinsing off and no difference between that and swimming in the lake.

With the above being said, we also have an outdoor shower and use it quite frequently. We supply and only allow environmentally neutral products to be used in it. As a matter of fact, we only allow and use these products throughout our island home and have the below notice posted in all of our bathrooms, laundry room and outdoor shower. We also inform any overnight guests ahead of time.

I think in your situation, it may be best if you supply the products to your renters and stock the outdoor shower with them. They are not very expensive...

Good Luck!

Dan
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote