Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
cheffy1354

Default Karen & Barrys Italian Bistro

Hi folks, Barry here, I just wanted let our wonderful customers that we have had the fortune to meet and serve over the last 11 years that we will be closing the doors of our restaurant for the last time on March 12th.My wife and I want to thank everyone that has supported us over the years and we will truly miss living up here. So we hope we will see all our friends before we leave. Thanks Karen & Barry
cheffy1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
gonetoolong

Default Oh no!!!!

Barry, so sorry to hear this! My wife & I love your food & hate to see you go....you will both be missed!
gonetoolong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gonetoolong For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Good Luck!

Sorry to hear of the closing. I am hoping to visit the establishment with family as in the past. If you look at another post, 'Pasta Patio', you have been giving positive reviews.

Hopefully a true Italian bistro will take your place!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Silver Duck

Barry

I will greatly miss both the food and the friendship I found at Karen & Barry's over the years. Thanks for both, and know that not being able to come for dinner my first weekend up takes some of the anticipation away from ice out this year.

Best of luck to both of you!

Fred
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Newbiesaukee

Even though we have spent 5 months a year up here for a number of years I did not discover K&B until last year. My loss, as there are very few restaurants anywhere serving honest, tasty food at reasonable prices.

Best of luck in the future.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
KDL

Sorry to see you go. We finally made it to your place last year for the first time. The second trip was soon after. What a warm and friendly place you have. We will miss you both. Best of luck and safe travel to you both.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
Charlie T

Default Sorry to hear that

I'm sorry to hear that. I've always enjoyed the restaurant and especially had fun with Karen. She is quite a character...... Are you guys staying in the area or going back to Meffffod ?
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Happy Gourmand

Default Bad News

Karen and Barry, thank you so much for all the culinary delights you have provided for us over the years. To say you will be missed by many is an understatement.
Good luck to you and can we take bets that you will end up with your hands in the food business again somewhere?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
tricia1218

Sorry to hear you are closing, we also recently discovered Karen & Barry's about 3 year ago and never had a less than great meal. We might make the drive before you close and wish you the best.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Sunset View

Devastated to learn this news!

Karen and Barry worked so hard to deliver quality in everything they served. We have been dining there for the last 5 years and loved everything Barry created. We used to be amazed at how hard Barry would work to pound the veal to ensure it would be tender.......

This past year our daughter was married and Karen and Barry catered the day after party, to say our 100 + guests were blown away by the quality of their food would be an understatement.

These were good, honest, hard-working and caring people................Meredith loses, Moultonboro loses and those that frequented throughout the lakes region lose big-time. There was no comparision anywhere in the area for authentic Italian food. The North End is a joke......their veal is like shoe leather and you need a sabre saw to cut, Fratellos one notch above the North End but still, awful!

We are so upset that these two wonderful people are being put out of business! Karen did everything to chat it up with every customer making them all feel like they were at her home rather than her restaurant!

We wish you both the best............please let everyone know where and when you start over! We miss you already.
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunset View For This Useful Post:
Sully (03-14-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
Lucy Goose

Default Sorry to hear!

One of the best restaurants in the area. We've had some good times there. Wish you the best but wish you were not leaving. The best to you and Karen.

Lucy Goose
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheffy1354 View Post
Hi folks, Barry here, I just wanted let our wonderful customers that we have had the fortune to meet and serve over the last 11 years that we will be closing the doors of our restaurant for the last time on March 12th.My wife and I want to thank everyone that has supported us over the years and we will truly miss living up here. So we hope we will see all our friends before we leave. Thanks Karen & Barry
In my opinion you are in stride with your reputation for providing wonderful service to the community by announcing this before closing. Too many businesses close up without notice. Best of luck to you with what ever is next.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up They will be serving Dinner through Monday Night

We went for what may have been our last dinner last Saturday night. Cheryl had the Veal and Eggplant Parm and I had my Veal Marcella. Both plates were picked clean, no doggy bag that night.

Karen told us the they were planning to serve dinner through Monday night. Barry had several interviews scheduled for this week in Mass. One down in Kingston where we have "Family". Be nice to find out if that is where he might be. Maybe I will not loose my favorite Veal Marcella?

Best to Karen and Barry no matter where they go.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Dinner last night.

I treated the lady to a superb dinner last night. I will miss the lasagna.

Tonight is their last night to wish them well.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Karen and Barry, Best of luck with whatever you do. I truly enjoyed the service and fare at your place.

Please keep us posted on where you end up.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
19MileBaylover

Buona fortuna e gracie mille. Caio.
19MileBaylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
cheffy1354

Default K&B's

Hi Folks, Karen and I want to thank everyone that came in to eat at our place this weekend it was great to be able to feed you all one last time. Karen and I will truly miss living up here. We are moving to Mass for now but I have got an offer to open a place on the lake again but in different area, but its going to take about 3-4 months, its smaller but we will be doing lunch and dinner and doing pizza. When I get more details I will let everyone know, also when working in this business its hard to know if people really like what you do, but after the last 2 days we have had alot of calls from people sorry we are going. We have made alot of great and faithful freinds. Thanks for what you all wrote. Barry & Karen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheffy1354 For This Useful Post:
Sully (03-14-2012), Sunset View (03-19-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #18
Silver Duck

Default Yeehah

Sounds like my favorite Italian food isn't gone forever after all! Yes, please let us know when/where I can get your cooking again!
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
Happy Gourmand

Barry,
Are you saying that we may not have to miss your veal saltimboca? Or are you just teasing us?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
Den65

Default Thanks for 11 years of good eats

Karen and Barry I'd like to thank you for 11 years of great food. My girls grew up enjoying your food and your company. People that did not go there to eat missed something special. I'll always remember the picture of you at the Bozo tv show.I hope things change and you come back to this area and feed us your great food, if not we'll find you. Good luck and we will be always thinking about you............quit them butt's?
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #21
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
Karen and Barry I'd like to thank you for 11 years of great food. My girls grew up enjoying your food and your company. People that did not go there to eat missed something special. I'll always remember the picture of you at the Bozo tv show.I hope things change and you come back to this area and feed us your great food, if not we'll find you. Good luck and we will be always thinking about you............quit them butt's?
DITTO and I hope the space gets used for another business that's an asset to Main Street Meredith, and not vacant like across the street, or look abandoned like next door.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #22
Sunset View

Quote:
Hi Folks, Karen and I want to thank everyone that came in to eat at our place this weekend it was great to be able to feed you all one last time. Karen and I will truly miss living up here. We are moving to Mass for now but I have got an offer to open a place on the lake again but in different area, but its going to take about 3-4 months, its smaller but we will be doing lunch and dinner and doing pizza. When I get more details I will let everyone know, also when working in this business its hard to know if people really like what you do, but after the last 2 days we have had alot of calls from people sorry we are going. We have made alot of great and faithful freinds. Thanks for what you all wrote. Barry & Karen
Best news I have heard in months!!!!! Please let us know when/where and we'llbe there. Our last night at your restaurant was fabulous. The meal superb in every way. We will forever be grateful for the incredible feast you put on for our daughter's day after wedding this October! Can't wait for you to be back!

Best regards,

Last edited by Sunset View; 03-21-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #23
pawnshop

I never had the chance to try your place but we always heard great things. Best of luck to you Karen & Barry!
pawnshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #24
no-engine

A broker name is in window. A neighbor was told building for sale. Appears that restaurant furniture remains.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #25
wMw

Default Karen and Barry...

Miss you guys...and your restaurant. It was a very special place. Looking forward to your new endeavor.

Sing...Dance...Love...Live deliberately!!!
wMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #26
Lucy Goose

Default Where are Karen and Barry now?

Does anyone know what happened to Karen and Barry finally after the restaurant. He mentioned they may be working somewhere around here but haven't heard anything?

Lucy Goose
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #27
Sunset View

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Goose View Post
Does anyone know what happened to Karen and Barry finally after the restaurant. He mentioned they may be working somewhere around here but haven't heard anything?

Lucy Goose
Agree, miss the fabulous food, Karen and Barry and the genuine warmth they both demonstarted to their customers! Please come back!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunset View For This Useful Post:
Sully (05-31-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #28
no-engine

The building was not owned by them.

New sign in window says sold. We have seen people working inside; I think their plan is new restaurant, for lunch & dinner and casual lounge.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #29
Happy Gourmand

Default New place

Quote:
OK, so it's been 3 or 4 months and a lot of us are anxious to see you back at what you do best.
Any news to share with us?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
no-engine

I felt I "needed" to post. I did not review all the posts here, but see this last one. We enjoyed Karen & Barry.

FYI: they were renting, and the owner has sold. Every restaurant has different theme; no two are the same except fast foods!

The new owners are working diligently to open early next month. A friendly sports bar/lounge theme with lunches and dinners. They have opened up the interior walls. They plan to utilize the screened porch over the canal - great atmosphere there!

Appears to have potential for great addition to Main Street, Meredith.
The Following User Says Thank You to no-engine For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #31
jetlag100

I was at Karen & Barry's on the last night for dinner. Barry came over to talk to a family member of mine, and at that point said, "South Shore". (Mass) I'm going to ask my family member if he exactly remembers where!
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #32
cheffy1354

Default Want to say hi to all our friends up at the lake

Karen and I wanted to say Hi to all our friends and let everyone know how much we miss you all, it took us a while to get back on our feet again but we are doing great. I have taken a job as a chef and work for a really great guy, it was really hard to go back to work for somebody when I worked for myself for so long. Karen is doing great also. The best part of working for someone else is I go home at the end of the day and dont have to deal with all the headaches of running a business. I also wanted to say we had an offer to open a business in Alton once the building was complete and it still stands but I have decided against doing that. I also have read that we were looking at the old waldo peppers (not true) I had an offer to go to work in a restaurant that was on the weirs and did not want to work at this particular place. Well anyway we just wanted to say hi and we miss you all. Karen & Barry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheffy1354 For This Useful Post:
KPW (07-22-2012), Sunset View (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #33
Sunset View

Quote:
Karen and I wanted to say Hi to all our friends and let everyone know how much we miss you all, it took us a while to get back on our feet again but we are doing great. I have taken a job as a chef and work for a really great guy, it was really hard to go back to work for somebody when I worked for myself for so long. Karen is doing great also. The best part of working for someone else is I go home at the end of the day and dont have to deal with all the headaches of running a business. I also wanted to say we had an offer to open a business in Alton once the building was complete and it still stands but I have decided against doing that. I also have read that we were looking at the old waldo peppers (not true) I had an offer to go to work in a restaurant that was on the weirs and did not want to work at this particular place. Well anyway we just wanted to say hi and we miss you all. Karen & Barry
Glad you are both well...........there hasn't been a good Italian meal in the Lakes Region since you left..WE ALL MISS YOU! We wish you well and please keep us updated on your whereabouts Barry, we would drive 200 miles for your food............Hope you remember us, you catered our daughter's day after wedding meal last year and it was sensational!! You guys are the best, Meredith loss was someone else's gain!

Continued good health and prosperity.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #34
Den65

Smile Let us know were your at

Hey Barry, how about posting where you're at, I'd love to drive down and have some of your cooking again.

Quote:
Old 08-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #35
Den65

Default Karen and Barry

Rumor has it Barry will be back working in Wolfeboro area restaurant..........can't wait
Old 08-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #36
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Hope you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
Rumor has it Barry will be back working in Wolfeboro area restaurant..........can't wait
I have not had a good Veal Marcella since they closed. I always asked for a table spoon to get the last drop of the Marcella sauce off the plate. Heck with sopping it up with bread.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #37
cheffy1354

Default Hi to all

Hi everyone Barry here, I just wanted to let all my friends know that I have been hired as the chef of an Italian restaurant in Wolfboro. We will be opening this week and it will be all the favorites you enjoyed at my restaurant. The place is called Nolans brick oven bistro. We will be open Friday night. Its right beside the restaurant. Cant wait to see everyone. Barry
The Following User Says Thank You to cheffy1354 For This Useful Post:
Lakemamma (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #38
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

I heard the existing brick oven pizza place is moving there, Barry. Sounds true?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #39
Den65

Default me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
I have not had a good Veal Marcella since they closed. I always asked for a table spoon to get the last drop of the Marcella sauce off the plate. Heck with sopping it up with bread.
I hear what your saying, I wouldn't eat any bread because I wanted to save it to get all the sauce up. We have been going to our friends restaurant in the north end when we need that marcella fix(which barry's is right there), but then there's wine and Modern pastry and staying over in boston..............gets very expensive.