Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
jbolty

Default Bears in Center Harbor

My friend just posted this. Bear and two cubs in a tree right behind her office. Just past Center Harbor/Moultonboro line.

https://www.facebook.com/kay.l.husto...ref=nf&__xts__
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
Hillcountry

Cool! Love to see bears...in my sights too!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:27 AM   #3
ApS

Wink Bears, Bald Eagles, Bobcats...Oh My...!

Yesterday, I was standing in my driveway when hearing a "hail" from the waterfront. It was a "yout" on a SUP, alerting me to a Black Bear and two cubs in the roadway just 200-feet distant. So I went indoors, and brought the bird feeder with me!

Although Black Bear sightings are common in Wolfeboro and Tuftonboro, this is the first such sighting in all the years I've been located here on Wolfeboro Neck. (Plus a Bobcat sighting earlier this season!)

There's a lot of other wildlife showing-up since this summer's lakefront din has quieted: just a minute ago, there were three Bald Eagles flying together! Where would Mom-Eagle, Dad-Eagle, and Junior have come from, I wonder?

A Tufted Titmouse just did some crazy circles on the porch, and a Chipmunk has been glaring at me to hang the bird feeder back up—on the porch.

I prefer my smaller wildlife visitors.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Yesterday, I was standing in my driveway when hearing a "hail" from the waterfront. It was a "yout" on a SUP, alerting me to a Black Bear and two cubs in the roadway just 200-feet distant. So I went indoors, and brought the bird feeder with me!

Although Black Bear sightings are common in Wolfeboro and Tuftonboro, this is the first such sighting in all the years I've been located here on Wolfeboro Neck. (Plus a Bobcat sighting earlier this season!)

There's a lot of other wildlife showing-up since this summer's lakefront din has quieted: just a minute ago, there were three Bald Eagles flying together! Where would Mom-Eagle, Dad-Eagle, and Junior have come from, I wonder?

A Tufted Titmouse just did some crazy circles on the porch, and a Chipmunk has been glaring at me to hang the bird feeder back up—on the porch.

I prefer my smaller wildlife visitors.
A lot of bear activity this year because of the general lack of mast crop. They’re searching far and wide as opposed to hunkering down in a mast rich area.
This means that more bears will likely be killed incidentally by other means than hunting/baiting. Lots of cubs seen too. Good idea to move inside with a sow and cubs this close.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I saw a bear and two cubs on Waumbeck Rd, APS. They go down to Highland Terrace at least and halfway to Carry Beach down your road so it wouldn't surprise me if they went a little further to your place. But then again it could be different ones. A mother and three cubs have been spotted by the Yum Yum Shop and a mother and two cubs have been seen by the Wolfeboro Inn. Same ones???? It does make you wonder or are there a lot of different ones?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
ApS

Wink Now, Pepe le Pew...and an Owl...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I saw a bear and two cubs on Waumbeck Rd, APS. They go down to Highland Terrace at least and halfway to Carry Beach down your road so it wouldn't surprise me if they went a little further to your place. But then again it could be different ones. A mother and three cubs have been spotted by the Yum Yum Shop and a mother and two cubs have been seen by the Wolfeboro Inn. Same ones???? It does make you wonder or are there a lot of different ones?
I suspect the Waumbeck bear and cubs are the same as the Carry Beach bunch. My Dad lived halfway between those two places, and had them traipsing through the yard—stopping to bend the iron stand the bird feeder was hanging from!

Though they seldom appear "in public", there are probably several bear families around these parts. (And remnants of forested Carroll County landscapes in which to find hibernating grounds).

While having three cubs is rare, a northern New Hampshire photographer spent weeks in the field to capture this bear mom's quintuplets—as new cubs and a year later—as yearlings! They've tolerated his presence for many months, so others have nicknamed the photographer, "The Bear Whisperer".

Even this family's second bear generation has tolerated his presence, and was also photographed—all available as a Kindle e-book.

The bird feeder on the porch got mobbed late this afternoon by Red- and Gray-Squirrels—unusual enough this year—then a huge owl landed above, on the roof! The Grays started making their "barking" sounds and slinked away.

Because of Flying Squirrels (the only rodent to feed directly from the feeder), the feeder is brought in for the night. Adding to all this September's critters, this evening's air was punctuated with the odor of skunk!

Old 09-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
I suspect the Waumbeck bear and cubs are the same as the Carry Beach bunch. My Dad lived halfway between those two places, and had them traipsing through the yard—stopping to bend the iron stand the bird feeder was hanging from!

Though they seldom appear "in public", there are probably several bear families around these parts. (And remnants of forested Carroll County landscapes in which to find hibernating grounds).

While having three cubs is rare, a northern New Hampshire photographer spent weeks in the field to capture this bear mom's quintuplets—as new cubs and a year later—as yearlings! They've tolerated his presence for many months, so others have nicknamed the photographer, "The Bear Whisperer".

Even this family's second bear generation has tolerated his presence, and was also photographed—all available as a Kindle e-book.

The bird feeder on the porch got mobbed late this afternoon by Red- and Gray-Squirrels—unusual enough this year—then a huge owl landed above, on the roof! The Grays started making their "barking" sounds and slinked away.

Because of Flying Squirrels (the only rodent to feed directly from the feeder), the feeder is brought in for the night. Adding to all this September's critters, this evening's air was punctuated with the odor of skunk!

What a great picture! Thanks for posting it
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (09-20-2018)