Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
hockeymatt06

Default Landlocked Salmon Fishing

Ok so this year i have made up my mind that i AM going to catch a landlocked salmon on a fly rod if it kills me! I am pretty new to fly fishing and went fly fishing for salmon last year at the docks in alton bay 3 or 4 times and and also hit up the merrymeeting river once or twice, but didn't catch a thing. Although i did love the whole atmosphere and mystique of it all which has brought me back and looking for help on this forum. I am determined to catch a landlocked salmon this year and am looking for some help from you guys. On location, stripping speed/style, flies, depth of line, floating vs. sink tip, leader and tippet, etc.! just anything that could possibly help better my chances of catching on of these mystical beasts! Also i have already been salmon fishing 3 times this year (monday, tuesday, and today) for atleast a good 2-3 hours every time on the merrymeeting river (You can legally fish salmon on the merrymeeting before April 1st) and again have nothing to show for it. So PLEASE HELP A FELLOW ANGLER IN NEED!
hockeymatt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
secondcurve

Hopefully, the Hairy Beast weighs in on your question.......from the videos he has posted on this site it is evident he knows what he is doing.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Hopefully, the Hairy Beast weighs in on your question.......from the videos he has posted on this site it is evident he knows what he is doing.
Aw shucks, I thought nobody noticed!

Matt, I'll be out there next Sunday on April first. Come by and introduce yourself, I'll be the corpulent fellow in a brown Cabela's cap. Me and my buddy Trav will set you up.

BTW I don't think you can legally target Salmon, even in the Merrymeeting, before April 1st. The river is really sluggish right now, it needs current. which means rain. Til then it's probably not worth the trouble.
The Hairy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
hockeymatt06

Ohh woops i thought it was legal to fish for them in merrymeeting my bad. And The Hairy Beast, thank you that would be greatly appreciated! From what i have seen of your videos, you have caught a salmon or two before haha
hockeymatt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
nightrider

Default April 1

Troll any shoreline in 4 - 10 feet of water. DB Smelt works well. Troll streamer flies also.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Lakegeezer

Default Open Fishing Season NOW

The state along with the Fish and Game department is concerned that the sales of fishing licenses are down. Here's an idea to raise them for this year.

Open salmon season now - just for this year. Make a declaration, much like how no-wakes are declared when the water is high.

The best lake salmon fishing is the first 10 days after ice out. Then, the fish are near the surface and easier to catch. By the time April 1'st rolls around, the lake will have been warming up for eight days, so fishing will be good, but perhaps not at its best.

If they got just 100 new licenses, many would renew year after year. Sort of like an economic stimulus package, but more fishy.
KPW (03-23-2012), The Hairy Beast (03-24-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
The state along with the Fish and Game department is concerned that the sales of fishing licenses are down. Here's an idea to raise them for this year.

Open salmon season now - just for this year. Make a declaration, much like how no-wakes are declared when the water is high.

The best lake salmon fishing is the first 10 days after ice out. Then, the fish are near the surface and easier to catch. By the time April 1'st rolls around, the lake will have been warming up for eight days, so fishing will be good, but perhaps not at its best.

If they got just 100 new licenses, many would renew year after year. Sort of like an economic stimulus package, but more fishy.
AMEN! I got ahold of F&G at the beginning of the week and asked: "I've been following the ""Ice Out" thread on Winnipesaukee.com. Alton bay is ice free as of today and with the warm weather forecasted this week the general consensus is that the lake will be officially open by thursday. I'm wondering if you guys are considering opening the lake to fishing early this year."

Response:

"We can't change season dates on the whims of mother nature. April 1st will be here before you know it."

The fly fishing season's going to be half over by April 1st, Fishing off the docks at Downing's landing on the lake side's probably tapering off even as we speak, because the salmon respond to the whims of Mother Nature, not to some arbitrarily imposed beaureaucratic calendar date.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Hairy Beast For This Useful Post:
nightrider (03-24-2012), Pineedles (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Treerider

Default Salmo attack

The green hornet will out fish the lake nymph on Sunday. Winter harbor will be the venue!
Treerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default What time...

What time is it legal to start fishing for Salmon on 4/1?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
The Hairy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
What time is it legal to start fishing for Salmon on 4/1?
First light, one hour before sunrise. That would be 5:27 am Sunday April 1st.