Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #1
WeLoveTheLake

Default Jet Ski Repairs, Oil Change etc.

Where is the best place to have a Jet Ski Winterized, oil change etc.

Thank you.
WeLoveTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Hk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveTheLake View Post
Where is the best place to have a Jet Ski Winterized, oil change etc.

Thank you.
HK Powersports in Laconia.

Dan
Top-Water (10-04-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I've been using DaSilva's—bought my new ski and had its first service completed—and they've been great. I'll be using them to winterize and store in the off-season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I've been using DaSilva's—bought my new ski and had its first service completed—and they've been great. I'll be using them to winterize and store in the off-season.

I second da Silva in Moultonborough...in 20 years, they haven’t let us down. Very reliable.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #5
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
I second da Silva in Moultonborough...in 20 years, they haven’t let us down. Very reliable.
I’m curious. Do they clean the jet ski before handing it over in the spring? HK didn’t do that for me. Not that they said they would, but I guess I expected they would have at least wiped it down. They also gave it back with almost no gas - the way I gave it to them in the fall. I would have gladly paid for it. I took delivery at about 6:00 on a week day, got out in the bay only to realize that I was nearly out of fuel. Nowhere in the channel to refill at that time of day so I rode on fumes the whole way home. I just don’t feel they did anything to distinguish themselves.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2020, 09:43 PM   #6
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
I’m curious. Do they clean the jet ski before handing it over in the spring? HK didn’t do that for me. Not that they said they would, but I guess I expected they would have at least wiped it down. They also gave it back with almost no gas - the way I gave it to them in the fall. I would have gladly paid for it. I took delivery at about 6:00 on a week day, got out in the bay only to realize that I was nearly out of fuel. Nowhere in the channel to refill at that time of day so I rode on fumes the whole way home. I just don’t feel they did anything to distinguish themselves.
No fuel....they give it back to us as delivered. We clean our own machines, but they might do it if requested, for an extra fee. We usually fuel up at Skelleys on the way home.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:38 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
A couple thoughts after having my first service done: DaSilva's charged $270 for it while my friend had his first service done at Irwin's for $190. On my friend's work order is (paraphrased) "oil change and check assembly," which they explained was to go over what the dealer assembles. DaSilva's did the oil change and assembly check as well, but on my work order/through conversation is also "bolt/hose check, diagnostic code scan, carbon seal/wear ring check, clean" and one other thing I can't remember.

I asked about the extra $80 because I thought it was a bit pricey, and the answer I received was that "we want to make sure it's right when we give it back."

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm not convinced DaSilva's is the cheapest around, but I do feel like they take care of their machines (and people)—I've literally not heard a single complaint in all my research and, though my first service cost more than my friend's, I'm glad to know some of the stuff I hear horror stories has been checked out (loose hoses, carbon ring wear, faulty handlebar installation, etc.).

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 06:08 AM   #8
Winilyme

Quote:
A couple thoughts after having my first service done: DaSilva's charged $270 for it while my friend had his first service done at Irwin's for $190. On my friend's work order is (paraphrased) "oil change and check assembly," which they explained was to go over what the dealer assembles. DaSilva's did the oil change and assembly check as well, but on my work order/through conversation is also "bolt/hose check, diagnostic code scan, carbon seal/wear ring check, clean" and one other thing I can't remember.

I asked about the extra $80 because I thought it was a bit pricey, and the answer I received was that "we want to make sure it's right when we give it back."

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm not convinced DaSilva's is the cheapest around, but I do feel like they take care of their machines (and people)—I've literally not heard a single complaint in all my research and, though my first service cost more than my friend's, I'm glad to know some of the stuff I hear horror stories has been checked out (loose hoses, carbon ring wear, faulty handlebar installation, etc.).

And if there’s anyone I know that does their research - it’s you!
Old 07-26-2020, 06:27 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
And if there’s anyone I know that does their research - it’s you!
For the record, you responded to one of my initial threads with a long explanation (borne out of research) of your own purchase!

I will say this: you (and, ultimately, I) were right about everything: the GTX is an AMAZING machine.

One of my concerns (and this may help the OP decide) with buying a Sea-Doo was all the #sinkdoo stuff. It *appears* that DaSilva's is in tune with keeping an eye on things when they maintain their machines. Just a thought.

Last edited by thinkxingu; 10-04-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:49 AM   #10
WeLoveTheLake

Thank you for all the replies.

So, now where do I go? I am confused.
I also would love to hear the #sinkdoo story.
WeLoveTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:43 AM   #11
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Did you ask them to clean it or fuel it?

If you had it delivered to your house what did they charge you for delivery?

Remember, a delivery to a home ties up two men and a truck for at least an hour to load, transport, and launch your machine. If you don't have a registered trailer they have to provide that too. And then, someone has to go to your house to pick up the person who drove the ski there.

What would you think is a reasonable charge for that service (or the service you expected) so that the dealership could at least break even?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #12
Cal Coon

Default Just wondering...

when you get in, or on something that runs on fuel, whose responsibility is it to know how much fuel is in the tank?
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #13
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

Remember, a delivery to a home ties up two men and a truck for at least an hour to load, transport, and launch your machine. If you don't have a registered trailer they have to provide that too. And then, someone has to go to your house to pick up the person who drove the ski there.

What would you think is a reasonable charge for that service (or the service you expected) so that the dealership could at least break even?
I picked it up and, no, I didn’t ask them to clean it or gas it up. I’m not dissatisfied nor do I feel I didn’t get good service on the machine nor do I feel I overpaid. Guess I’m just used to the little added things I get from car dealerships that try to set themselves apart. It’s my first jet ski and last year was my first winter storage/service. I’ll know what to expect next year. I will say however, just like with the car dealerships, if Dasilva or HK or other were to do those little things, I’d consider switching my service to that dealer.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #14
Winilyme

Default Touché

Quote:
For the record, you responded to one of my initial threads with a long explanation (borne out of research) of your own purchase!

I will say this: you (and, ultimately, I) were right about everything: the GTX is an AMAZING machine.

One of my concerns (and this may help the OP decide) with buying a Sea-Doo was all the #sinkdoo stuff. It *appears* that DaSilva's is in tune with keeping and eye on things when they maintain their machines. Just a thought.

I research everything to death. I sort of enjoy doing it and I do feel I benefit by making better decisions.

Yes, no regrets whatsoever on the GTX. I love it. We just got back from a two hour tour around Rattlesnake and Sleepers. For me, comfort is key and it is all of that. Access to the main storage from your seat is probably the biggest advantage to me. I’m in there all the time for the map, camera, phone, wallet, toaster - you name it. Can’t imagine dealing with that on the Yamaha. Dollars to doughnuts they switch to the front access in future models.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #15
thinkxingu

Quote:
I research everything to death. I sort of enjoy doing it and I do feel I benefit by making better decisions.

Yes, no regrets whatsoever on the GTX. I love it. We just got back from a two hour tour around Rattlesnake and Sleepers. For me, comfort is key and it is all of that. Access to the main storage from your seat is probably the biggest advantage to me. I’m in there all the time for the map, camera, phone, wallet, toaster - you name it. Can’t imagine dealing with that on the Yamaha. Dollars to doughnuts they switch to the front access in future models.
Absolutely—I can do, and retrieve, anything from my seat...even with these T-Rex arms!

Old 07-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #16
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Back in "the day"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

We used to drive the customer's craft to their dock/boathouse and secure it.
Still two workers (one, obviously, to get the other and himsel back to work), but no loading/truck/trailer that would accrue an hour of labor cost. The delivery cost was, as I remember, a flat nominal charge. Even rainy days were fun for deliveries!!!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #17
JADAQ

I do oil changes and winterization if you are still looking shoot me a message.
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JADAQ For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (08-14-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #18
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
I do oil changes and winterization if you are still looking shoot me a message.
I had Dave (JADAQ) owner Johnston’s Mobile Marine Service (603-556-0993) winterize my boat at my house. Perfect. He came on time and took care of the job at a reasonable price. Nice guy, too.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #19
thinkxingu

JADAQ, do you also do shrink-wrapping?

Old 10-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #20
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Good thread

As a disinterested party (I sold my jet ski many years ago), this was still an informative thread, that stayed on track.
For the OP, and others, I think you get more specific answers when you give geographic info, and/or fill out your profile so that people know which end/side of the lake you're on.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #21
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveTheLake View Post
Thank you for all the replies.

So, now where do I go? I am confused.
I also would love to hear the #sinkdoo story.
I missed the sinkdoo question before, sorry. So, Sea-Doo uses a replaceable "carbon seal" to seal their driveshafts from water entry (not to be confused with the "wear ring," which lines the gap between the impeller and its shaft—multi-page arguments about the value of the replaceable OEM vs. metal exist there as well). Because it is a carbon-based material, as opposed to metal/different materials on Yamaha and Kawasaki machines, it's possible to unevenly/prematurely wear and allow water to enter the hull, resulting in, you guessed it, sinking.

It was my main, really only, concern with buying a Sea-Doo, but it was hard to get a handle on just how often it happens and if it's totally preventable. What I discovered is that it can happen in three ways: 1. Bad parts. Supposedly, BRP had a run of poor carbon seals in the late teens ('18/'19, I think). 2. Engine misalignment. If the engine is misaligned, it can cause improper wear and premature failure. 3. Running the machine out of the water for too long. Because the carbon seal will not be getting lubricated, it will prematurely wear down.

From what I gather, it is mostly #3 with a few more of the others in there as a normal result of mass production. When one looks inside the hull, it is possible to see wear/how the CS is wearing both by looking at it and by a line that sometimes develops inside from the carbon material "whipping" off the ring and hitting the hull.

Best I can tell, Sea-Doo does this so that if there's a failure it doesn't destroy the driveline or motor unlike what might happen with less forgiving materials, but, given their market share and sheer number of machines, I think it's impossible to make sure everybody is taking care of things right and keeping an eye on the signs that could predict failure.

This is my summary after both researching, seeing failures across the web, and talking to dealers/authorized techs.

Ultimately, I love everything about my machine, so if that's the risk—again, no idea of the overall numbers—I accept it. I mean, that's why we have insurance, right?!

Here's a pretty good article about it: https://watercraftjournal.com/debunk...bon-ring-seal/

Last edited by thinkxingu; 10-04-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #22
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default The tide has turned!

THINK is open for marine advice!
Well done!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (10-05-2020)