Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
AC2717

Default Electrician Needed

Hi all,
well my previous thread and questions went pretty well and Unfortunately I need an electrician to review the work that I did. I am in the Laconia area, is anyone on here an electrician in this area or has one I can talk to to come out and review my work and make changes if needed?

Thank you. Looking to get someone to meet me at my cottage on Friday late afternoon evening to take a look at it. Like to get the cottage up and running by memorial day
Thank you again
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
AC2717

Default Electrician needed

Hi All,
I was wondering if you or if you knew of any electricians that served the Laconia area. I need to have work inspected and have a permit pulled for it.
thank you very much.
I was unaware that because my cottage was not my primary residence, I needed to have licensed electrician do the work or oversee the work. Please help, I would like to get up and running by Memorial Day
Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
TomC

Default ask the inspector...

the electrical inspector likely has prefered electricians. If you use one of those you may end up better off - since he'll trust his/her judgment.

Call up the inspector's office and ask for a recommendation.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
Bear Islander

Hi

Very few electricians would be willing to review work done by another because of the liability involved. I know I would never do it.

One the other hand what you want is exactly what the town electrical inspector is hired to do. You will need to pull a permit if you have not done so already. The inspector will come and tell you if anything was done in violation of the code.

The bad news is that if he finds a violation he will order it corrected.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
AC2717

Default follow up

Thank you for the info so far, I did go intot he city code office and they will not give me the permit, they want al icensed electrician to come get it for me, they will give me the building permit, just not the electrical permit. Which I do not understand, what if I wanted to get my permits and then Hire someone to do the job. Almost like youa re supposed to pick someone and then get your permits, which does lead to more time wasted on trying to get the job done right and fast. In RI where I live the homeowner can get the permits you need then hire someone to do the work.

I asked them to come out and inspect but they will not until a lic electrician goes in and gets a permit.

I know the work is right, I think I said before above that I had a person that was a master electrician in Massachusetts oversee the work and hook up the breaker pannel. I just wish they would come out and inspect.

I agree that it will be hard because very few people will sign off on other people's work, but that is why I want to show it to them and walk through everything first and if they need to make any changes then I would let them.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Hate to say it,AC,but I think that's the price you pay when you do your own work.Not that it's wrong to save a buck when you're able,but most electricians are not going to want to take the time (as well as put their license on the line) for very little money.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
AC2717

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
Hate to say it,AC,but I think that's the price you pay when you do your own work.Not that it's wrong to save a buck when you're able,but most electricians are not going to want to take the time (as well as put their license on the line) for very little money.

just feel like I am being raked over the barrel. How come you can do the work in your primary residence something that you live in and used and draw more out of for 9 months out of the year, but it is unsafe for me to do it on something that draws a lot less and only in for 3 months on weekends and vacations, just does not make sense, am I missing the point.

Again just discussing, want to know other's feelings on the topic
Old 05-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Not dogging you at all,AC......I wish it wasn't that way.It's your house,you live there and should be able to do what you want but the system is set up so that you have to get a permit....pay a fee (surprize) then pay someone who is licensed 20 times what you could do it for yourself.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
AC2717

I know they have you coming both ways, but now to the main question. I still need an electrician, have any suggestions?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:51 AM   #10
Bear Islander

Did you speak to the actual electrical inspector or a clerk at the town office?

Unless they have changed the law, then a homeowner can pull a permit and perform electrical work on his own property without a license. This is rarely done and the clerk may not be aware of it. The inspector should know the current law on this.

However an electrical permit MUST be pulled by the person doing the work. The homeowner can not get an electrical permit for work that will be done by someone else.

Talk to the inspector.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
AC2717

Default Primary residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander
Did you speak to the actual electrical inspector or a clerk at the town office?

Unless they have changed the law, then a homeowner can pull a permit and perform electrical work on his own property without a license. This is rarely done and the clerk may not be aware of it. The inspector should know the current law on this.

However an electrical permit MUST be pulled by the person doing the work. The homeowner can not get an electrical permit for work that will be done by someone else.

Talk to the inspector.
Did speak to them, and they did not mind the situation and were fine with it, but Laconia code, and Laconia only in this area from what I know of, that if it is not my primary residence, which it is not, then I cannot do the work myself must be a lic. electrician, and only he or she can pull the electrical permit.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
kayakn

AC,

Just saw your post. If you are still in need of assistance, please email me or send a private message...
kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #13
Gatto Nero

I did the exact same thing you are trying to do in Meredith a few years ago. I had a MA licensed relative do the work, then went for a permit. They asked me if the work had already been done, I said it was and they fined me ($150 I think) for not getting the permit before doing the work. Then I had to hire a NH licensed electrician to pull the permit for me. They also told me I was not allowed to do it myself because it was my 2nd home. I think the local tradesmen have successfully lobied the towns for a way to get more money out of the non-voting Massholes.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #14
AC2717

Default electric

Yeah, The only thing I can come up with for this reasoning on that I cannot do it myself is because the city does not care if I kill myself but if I kill someone else then its a problem. I have this all straightened out now I have to pay another $300 to an electrician and about $100 to a plumber, but what can you do, they definitely have us here. Also they were trying to get me to put in hard wire smoke detectors and I was like well, how would these work during the winter, they said well they're tied in, I know that, but when I shut my breaker panel down for the winter season no power will get to them and who would hear them anyways, no one will be there. They saw the light and said, oh battery operated ones are ok. Then they said where are the CO detectors, and I said what for, my water heater is electric and so is my stove, there are no flames in the bldg, and also my heat is electric. They said oh ok, they are not needed them. Just another thing we pay for and get hassled on but do not receive a benefit from. I am just glad I found out and corrected the problem before I finished the job and got fined.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:44 AM   #15
AC2717

Default Thank you for your Help

Wanted to thank everyone for your help on this forum, We hired an excellent electrician, and he is going through everythign and saw no major problems, just some house keeping issues. They will have us up and running by memorial day weekend and have already spoke to the city about the situation.
The forum is great and is the source to find out everything and anything you need in the lakes region, I wish the area where I lived had this