Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Greene's Basin Girl

Default The Mug

Went to the Mug on Rt. 3 ( Center Harbor) tonight for soup, salad, burger and chili. It was very average. We won't rush back!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
Went to the Mug on Rt. 3 ( Center Harbor) tonight for soup, salad, burger and chili. It was very average. We won't rush back!
I have an affection dating way back for the Mug. It used to be the only place in Meredith you could get a beer
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Old Hubbard Rd

Default I like The Mug

Cut them some slack The Mug is no Woodshed but they try real hard. When we have lots of company with kids it is one of our favorite places to go. They have some arcade games and pool tables. Us adults get to relax while kids are playing and eating. I find there food acceptable. Their prices are very fair!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Hubbard Rd For This Useful Post:
EricP (10-16-2009)
Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
EricP

I consider average acceptable, I guess these days people want to be blown away and waited on hand and foot every time they leave the house. I've never had a bad meal at the mug and it's always very consistent, and I guess "average".
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
A Piece of Heaven

Thumbs up I like The Mug also!

The Pigs Ear is always cold, they have a good pesto chicken salad and the pizza is good and the prices are very affordable---good Friday night meal. Hubbie and I enjoy The Mug
A Piece of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
Pineedles

Thumbs up

Since The Mug has been around for soooo long. They must be doing something right. My guess is that they meet the expectations of their clientèle. Good Food, Good Brews, Good Service.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
eillac@dow

Talking

My Mom, 2 sisters and 2 of our children went to the Mug about 2 months ago. Afterwards, I was tempted to post my thoughts as I was not overly impressed by my visit. I opted not to. But seeing this thread, I will throw in my two cents.....

The four adults ordered steak tips. None of us were crazy over the portion size for the price and the service lacked a bit.

BUT, everyone has their good days and bad days. I have been to Mug many times before and was never disappointed. It is low key, kids are welcome and you can just plain relax and have a beer.

Would I go there again....sure! If I am disappointed again, will I go back? Probably for one last shot. But all in all....the place has got to be doing something right. As I said, it was the first visit I was not crazy about, after going numerous times.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
rick35

Default Predictably good

We've been to the Mug many times and we find the food and service both good. Our expectation is pub food so we don't rank it to the same scale as other restaurants. When the kids were younger it was a good place to go and get pizza and let the kids play pool. Now that the kids are older they like the pizza and cold beer. The nightly specials are good too.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
twoplustwo

Default love The Mug!

It's nice to have a place where you can go with kids and not feel looked down upon. The dynoburger is to die for, love their pizza, and love being able to get both at their sandwich shop in Moultonborough.

Every couple of months a group of us from M'Boro meet there with our kids in tow, let them plug tons of quarters into the video games while we enjoy some adult company and eat like pigs. We're always so well treated, and it's always a great time. They also did my youngest daughter's birthday party last year and everything was perfect from top to bottom.

This reminds me that we are way overdue for a Mug Sunday and need to get the gang together for a trip over there.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Which Mug are we talking about?????????///

Quote:
The Mug in Center Harbor is on Rt 25 and is actually in Moultonboro. The original Mug is in Meredith on Rt 3.

To me two distinctfully different places.

My only complant was a special the Mug had on Fish&Chips one time long ago, Beware of "RECTANGURAL" shaped FISH!
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
luvmypups

We enjoy The Mug, it's one of the few places around here you can get pub style food, and everytime I have been, it's always been delicious! Good place to go with your kids too
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
angela4design

Default Thumbs up

I've always been quite happy at the Mug! For drinks, for dinner, for games - it's a great spot to unwind, and usually isn't too busy to enjoy it.

The Moultonboro location has the same owners, but a different concept there. (It's more of a sandwich shop or take-out place.) The food there is great, as well!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Arrow Meredith Mug

Back in my Belknap College days, it was the only game in town! The local boys gets wicked jealous when the college boys gets to score with the local girls. Seen a few fights in the parking lot. Not a family affair back in the days.

Haven't been lately. If the food, atmosphere, etc is the same today. It is something I wouldn't 'brag' about.
Meredith lady (08-04-2010)
Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default I agree

The Meredith Mug was definitely more of a singles "meet and greet" establishment back in the 70s; hardly the family gathering it is today! I do recall the Mug Special pizza which was absolutely to die for. Not sure if they still serve it today, as we haven't been in years. Hmmm... I may have to check it out!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
Irish mist

Yes....the Meredith Mug was the place to go in the late 1970s for chicks. The Plymouth State girls used to pour in there. Between them, the local girls & guys, and whatever college guys would drift in there to the sounds of Bob Seger & Bruce Springsteen the place was a madhouse. I had some good nights there
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
jr616

Thumbs up

Meredith Mug it technically in Center Harbor. AND we will miss going there for our Friday night dinners until next season.

We love every meal we have there and the owners are fabulous people! Tell Paul the crazy people from HH said hi!

WE love the Mug - serves the "Coldest Beer in Town" and we can remember when they served wine in a mug! So there!

Enjoy - if you are looking for a great pizza order the Super Cheese with Garlic and grilled Chicken - YUM!
jr616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
sandwichgal

Quote:

Meredith is consistent and has great food. Atmosphere beats the other spot by a country mile and is worth the ride. Best buffalo chicken fingers in the lakes region!!!! We have been Mug patrons since 1968 and have watched it transform into a great family spot. Good food, good price, good fun.
sandwichgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
Newbiesaukee

I need a little geographic clarification. The original Mug is in Center Harbor, not Meredith, and I believe this is the location discussed originally. The second location is in Moultonborough and this is the more casual, newer Mug.
Please correct me if I am wrong...I'm married and used to it.

(Actually, I see this was discussed above and the "Meredith" Mug IS in Center Harbor.)
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
wifi (10-21-2009)
Old 10-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #19
john60ri

Default Mug

I had no idea that the Meredith Mug was in Center Harbor. I'm going to check the map on that one. I did not know that any part of Route 3 in that area was in Center Harbor. Interesting. We ate at the Mug a few years ago and thought it was no great shakes. Maybe we'll give it another try next summer.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #20
twoplustwo

Default geography

The original Mug is in Center Harbor, not Meredith, and I believe this is the location discussed originally. The second location is in Moultonborough and this is the more casual, newer Mug.

Correct. The one in Moultonborough is also quite specifically a sandwich shop and pizzeria and isn't intended to be anything else, as it's name implies.

http://www.themugrestaurant.com/
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #21
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by john60ri View Post
I had no idea that the Meredith Mug was in Center Harbor. I'm going to check the map on that one. I did not know that any part of Route 3 in that area was in Center Harbor.
Heading north from Meredith,Rt3 enters Center Harbor for about 2 miles before entering Holderness.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #22
Marko

Default Both Locations.......

we were at the Weirs all last week and tried out a lot of places...
and we drove to both of the Mug locations....
since the first one in Moultonboro was kind of a take out place.........
and we were looking for the sit down place......
and the take out place had absolutely no business on a Tuesday night which is a pretty good indication of how the food is....
plus it wasn't the original destination one.........so we passed

then we found the Mug in Center Harbor and we were greeted nicely and got a table........
after talking to the nice waitress we found out all their seafood is pre breaded......
which is a no no in my book.........
so we took a pass on this place and went to Tamarack instead........
but to be fair and from what I could see.......

if you are looking for great burgers or ribs........this is probably the place for you..........

and being a late 70's Plymouth State Alumnus......
had no idea that's where the Plymouth gals went to party......and so it goes......lol

Marko
St Petersburg, FL
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #23
Jmo77011

Default My parents met there

My parents actually met at the mug in the mid-70's! They used to take us there when we were kids, and now we take our kids there...crazy. We always like it, and the kids love to play the games before the food comes. We tend to stick to the burgers and sandwiches.
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #24
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
and being a late 70's Plymouth State Alumnus......
Marko
St Petersburg, FL
SS attended Plymouth State Country Club 1976-78

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 08-11-2010 at 01:52 PM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:11 AM   #25
Winnipesaukee

Default I LOVE the Mug

It's a great casual place to go. We consider it the epitome of NH and its relaxed, anti-hoity-toity personality.

Great atmosphere (I get to show off my lack of billiards skills), good comfort food, and excellent service. What more can you ask for?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #26
bclaker

Default The new Mug on the Bay

I went to Keepsakes Quilting this morning with my wife. After she did her shopping, we went to the new "Mug on the Bay" just across Route 25B for lunch. The restaurant had been newly refurbished and painted and was very pleasant inside. The service and food were excellent. My wife had a salad with greens, apples, candied nuts, etc. and I had a New Yorker Panini with medium roast beef and home made chips. It was huge and I brought half of it home in a box along with some of the chips. I just had it for supper. I was surprised that the bill which included coffee and tea only came to a little over $22. We have been going to "The Mug on Route 3 for a number of years and have been to the one on Route 25 in Moultonborough. This one is much more elegant, however the prices are still reasonable.

http://www.themugrestaurant.com/bay/

Last edited by bclaker; 05-22-2012 at 07:13 PM.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #27
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
SS attended Plymouth State Country Club 1976-78
Why does this not surprise me.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #28
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Why does this not surprise me.
The surprise is that I made it out of there with all my limbs and managed to still function rather well to this day.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #29
Pineedles

Yes, I heard it was a tuff time there. You could have broken a leg or arm participating in one of their majors......waterskiing. Or am I thinking of Belknap College that had the watersking major.

I shouldn't laugh though, I nearly flunked my bowling course in college. Just could get the hang of spinning the ball.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #30
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Yes, I heard it was a tuff time there. You could have broken a leg or arm participating in one of their majors......waterskiing. Or am I thinking of Belknap College that had the watersking major.

I shouldn't laugh though, I nearly flunked my bowling course in college. Just could get the hang of spinning the ball.
Are you forgetting tubing down the Pemi? ; )

So there are now three Mugs? The sandwich shop on route 25 in M'boro, the one across from the Center Harbor docks on route 25 in CH, and the one on route 3 in Center Harbor? Or is the one on route 3 now closed?
VitaBene (05-24-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #31
Bear Girl

Default We like the Mug

We have been eating there for years. Good Pub food for a good price. The woman who waits on us (Angel?) is always attentive and seems to work hundreds of hours. Their ribs are delicious, as are their salads. The Leighton salad is great, but again, it is Pub food. Everything is always fresh. Perfect place for relaxing and bringing family and kids. Clearly, they are doing something right.
Bear Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #32
Pineedles

Thanks Bear Girl, for bringing us back on topic. SS and I tend to diverge at times.

I have loved the Mug in its many locations throughout the years.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #33
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
Are you forgetting tubing down the Pemi? ; )

So there are now three Mugs? The sandwich shop on route 25 in M'boro, the one across from the Center Harbor docks on route 25 in CH, and the one on route 3 in Center Harbor? Or is the one on route 3 now closed?
The mboro sandwich shop is closed- well replaced by another pizza/ sandwich place (saw the new sign yesterday)
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #34
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
The mboro sandwich shop is closed- well replaced by another pizza/ sandwich place (saw the new sign yesterday)
But there are TWO Center Harbor locations? I didn't see anything about the original one on the website.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #35
Irrigation Guy

One is technically in Moultonboro and it's the same owner, and a new name I believe.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
One is technically in Moultonboro and it's the same owner, and a new name I believe.
Technically, they both are in Center Harbor

The new location is below the Yikes Gallery, across the street from Heaths Hardware, near where the last FF was

The original (and other) location is on Rt 3, near the Meredith line

Not being corrective here, just giving info
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #37
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Technically, they both are in Center Harbor

The new location is below the Yikes Gallery, across the street from Heaths Hardware, near where the last FF was

The original (and other) location is on Rt 3, near the Meredith line

Not being corrective here, just giving info
I should have quoted Vitabene, as I was answering his post....I was talking about the M"boro one with the new name, "Archies" being still owned by the Mug. They wanted to move but at the time had 2 years left on their lease.

You are correct in that there are now 2 Center Harbor locations. Original Mug, and Mug by the Bay.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irrigation Guy For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (05-24-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #38
Red apple

+1 for the "mug on the bay" went there by boat today for lunch with twelve of us. The service and food were great and they handled the large party without any issues.
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red apple For This Useful Post:
Sully (05-31-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #39
Lucky1

Default Is this where to Sam and Rosie's used to be?

Sad that S&R left but hoping something good came into that spot. I know we got some lobster rolls at Canoe to take out one afternoon last summer and they were pretty good so if you are missing a Sam & Rosie's lobster roll try Canoe.
I have never been to "The Mug" in any location so will have to give it a try. I am not really very fussy if the price is not outrageous which from what I am reading, sounds like the prices are reasonable. Got a new spot to try. Need some energy for these WEEDS!! My back is not what it used to be when I was younger so the shrubs and trees seem to be taking space from the flower areas just in time!!! LOL I LOVE IT HERE!
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #40
surfnsnow

i like their pizza and they have the best french fries around
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #41
Ms Molly McKever

Default the mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
The original Mug is in Center Harbor, not Meredith, and I believe this is the location discussed originally. The second location is in Moultonborough and this is the more casual, newer Mug.

Correct. The one in Moultonborough is also quite specifically a sandwich shop and pizzeria and isn't intended to be anything else, as it's name implies.

http://www.themugrestaurant.com/
Just looked at the home page,It said they have everything from ny sirloin to kids meals. Looked at the menu and did not see ny sirloin ???
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #42
Sully

Default The Mug at the Bay

My wife and I have twice enjoyed the "Mug at the Bay" in the former Sam and Rosie's, Center Harbor. The upgrade of the facility is breathtaking! The service and food is terrific. Boaters will be delighted! Overall we feel that this restaurant should become the prototype for other Lakes Region restaurants to follow. Congratulations to the proud owners...they have instantly upgraded Center Harbor with a great new offering. This one can't miss!
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sully For This Useful Post:
Irrigation Guy (05-31-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #43
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
I should have quoted Vitabene, as I was answering his post....I was talking about the M"boro one with the new name, "Archies" being still owned by the Mug. They wanted to move but at the time had 2 years left on their lease.

You are correct in that there are now 2 Center Harbor locations. Original Mug, and Mug by the Bay.
This just in. I was incorrect, Archeez(the former Mug Sandwich Shop) is under new ownership bought by a former employee and the food is as good as ever.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote