Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
radiocontester

Default Seadeck Swim Pad

Does anyone have any experience with this product? http://www.seadek.com/

Thanks.
radiocontester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Was just looking at this the other day myself. Our new boat has a vinyl floor, which my dog hates, so we're looking at our options.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
Salty

I had samples sent. Seems like nice material. Planning to install on swim platform this spring.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Salty For This Useful Post:
radiocontester (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I had samples sent. Seems like nice material. Planning to install on swim platform this spring.

How's the pricing?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
Winnisquamer

I found seadek lifts up on the edges after a season or two. Look into other companies like Gatorstep or deckedance instead. Seadek was dropped from a lot of high end surf/wake boats for that reason as well.

Customer service at seadek was terrible also. They initially cut the pattern to my boat incorrectly and tried to tell me I told them it was the wrong boat when I ordered a replacement. I forwarded the woman the exact email telling her I had a 2013 model XXXX. They didn't care, still said it was my fault, and at that point I cancelled the order and wouldn't do business with them again.

Deckedance feels better on the feet in my opinion.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
Salty

Price varies depending on size and complexity. They have templates for numerous boats.

But I have not installed the product or used it so cannot vouch for it.

Based on other's comments I may look elsewhere.

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #7
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Price varies depending on size and complexity. They have templates for numerous boats.

But I have not installed the product or used it so cannot vouch for it.

Based on other's comments I may look elsewhere.

I don't want to deter people. I am sure if you put 20 hours a season on your boat and don't beat it up at all you probably wont have an issue. I however put 150+ hours and way more just lounging around. We run wakeboards/ surfboards, ropes, coolers etc along it on top of being out 5-6 days a week. Although we are meticulous and clean the boat 2-3 times a week, that wear is a little more than "normal" wear.

The product overall to me just didn't hold up how I expected it to. I went back to OEM carpet.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #8
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
I don't want to deter people. I am sure if you put 20 hours a season on your boat and don't beat it up at all you probably wont have an issue. I however put 150+ hours and way more just lounging around. We run wakeboards/ surfboards, ropes, coolers etc along it on top of being out 5-6 days a week. Although we are meticulous and clean the boat 2-3 times a week, that wear is a little more than "normal" wear.

The product overall to me just didn't hold up how I expected it to. I went back to OEM carpet.
Great feedback in your two posts....thanks for the heads-up.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
Rich

I'm not sure of this brand is one that has the problem, but some of these products are VERY hot in the sun.

They get so hot you can't stand on the swim platform with bare feet without dowsing it with water from time to time.

I may have the brand wrong, so I hope I'm not mentioning this in the wrong thread.

I was considering this type of product as it looks great. Last year I used a carpet alternative that some venders call 'seagrass'. Here is a link:
http://www.marinecarpeting.com/marin...-flooring.html

This looks great on our boat, can be rinsed off easily, doesn't hold water like a sponge as carpet does. Oh did I mention it looks great! Downside is that it is more expensive than standard carpet.

I didn't do this on my swim platform, but it's in my whole cockpit. I had Shipshape marineworks install it for me, they did a great job! I used their 'better than teak' product to match the teak and holly used in otherplaces on my boat. There are many styles and colors available.

I'm happy to point this out as an alternative to carpet, and it may be an alternative to the seadek and other hard products. My guess is that the color could affect the temperature in the Sun as well as the marerial holding the heat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
radiocontester (03-10-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
Bandrews7

I put SeaDeck on my platform last year. It is not hot in the sun, easy to maintain and was a piece of cake to install. Customer service was fantastic and the product shipped within the timeframe they told me. I plan on doing SeaDeck through the rest of the cockpit and the upcoming season or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #11
Sue Doe-Nym

Would this product make sense to put on a low swim platform where the ducks like to make a mess?
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:45 AM   #12
Irish Choppers

Default Sundek Products

Hi Radio,

Funny that you were looking into this product. I own a Sea Ray 220 Sundeck and just inquired about the SeaDek products. Here's the response I received. I hope you find it helpful!

Quote:
Thanks for the interest in SeaDek. I'm not sure if we have a pattern that will fit your 220 SD. What happens with SeaRay & other builders is that in many cases the same patterns are used for different models over different years. As you can imagine this makes it pretty tough to know what we may be able to use for what. Most of our patterns are derived from template kits returned to us by individuals & we are often only certain about the match to that person’s particular model. That is until we are able to confirm it's matching other models & years.

Please check the dimensions of your boat to the pad drawing attached closely as our custom pads are not refundable. If it does, we may be able to use it. Please note, this estimate does not include sales tax or freight charges. The cost of this kit would be $335.00 in our 6mm Embossed or Brushed finish and $420.00 in our 6mm Faux Teak finish plus shipping and tax (if in Florida).

If not, or you are not sure, the best thing is for you to go the template route. This is a relatively simple process.

http://www.seadek.com/c-9-template-kits.aspx

We can also do a dry fit template. This is a template the actual size of the platform pad that you would lay over to see if it fits. The cost of this is $5.00 Per Sheet + shipping.

Our largest sheet of material is 39"x77" which covers approximately 18 square feet. The cost of this size sheet for custom cut pads is $335.00 + shipping for our microdot embossed material and $419.00 + shipping for our brushed teak material.

Lastly you can DIY. Determine approximately how large your area is and order the appropriate size sheets (http://www.seadek.com/c-5-sheet-material.aspx) pattern, cut and install it yourself. SeaDek is easy to cut and with a reasonable amount of care excellent results can be achieved at a considerable savings over a custom SeaDek solution.

I should mention that we do not stock custom pads or swim platform pads. They are all made to order. Due to this being our busy season we are looking at 5 weeks production time for custom orders and about 3 weeks from existing, cataloged designs.

Sheet goods for DIY are usually on hand and can be shipped right away. Please note that our faux teak material is not offered in our DIY stock sheets.

If you would like to place an order you can contact our number below and we would be happy to help you. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you,
Elijah Gay
Customer Service Representative
SeaDek Marine Products
5440 Schenck Ave.
Rockledge, FL 32955
321-632-4466 Phone

321-806-4389 Direct

321-632-7019 Fax
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #13
radiocontester

Thanks Irish, I appreciate you passing this along. There have been mixed reviews regarding this product (I tend to focus on the not-so-good) which has prompted me to investigate other options.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

I am having Seadek installed on my wife's boat now. I really like the way it looks and feels and from what I have seen firsthand it's a good product.

We shall see!

Dan
Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #15
elbie

Default Seadeck

Please keep us posted. I may want to install on my Jon boat whose surface is rather slick.

Thanks,
Elbie
elbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #16
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbie View Post
Please keep us posted. I may want to install on my Jon boat whose surface is rather slick.

Thanks,
Elbie
For what its worth, I have a friend who has had it on his boat on the ocean for four years now without any issues.

I'll keep you posted...

Dan
Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #17
elbie

Smile Seadeck surface

Thanks Dan,
I went on their site and requested some samples.
elbie
elbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #18
ishoot308

Quote:

Thanks,
Elbie
Here you go Elbie, the finished product!

We love it!

Dan
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #19
ishoot308

Quote:

Thanks,
Elbie
Here's another....
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #20
8gv

Wow!!!

That looks great!

Was this a measure, cut and install or was there already a CAD file for your boat?

Do I dare ask how much?

I have this on a Sea Ray 220 Sundek. I have always figured it came from the factory that way.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #21
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Wow!!!

That looks great!

Was this a measure, cut and install or was there already a CAD file for your boat?

Do I dare ask how much?

I have this on a Sea Ray 220 Sundek. I have always figured it came from the factory that way.
Winnisquam Marine did the work. I can tell you that SeaDek sends a pattern kit, then after patterning everything gets cut. It takes a while and yes it is rather expensive....

I am going to have the front and back of my Bennington done next.

Dan
Old 12-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #22
ishoot308

Default Impressive Product

Wanted to bring this thread back up since my wife’s boat has had her SeaDek on for a full year. Her boat stays in the water all summer on the prevailing wind side of Welch fully exposed to sun, wind and all the elements completely uncovered and the SeaDek has held up just great. No signs of any peeling or fading whatsoever. It was a great improvement on her boat and we are very pleased with the product thus far.

My Bennington pontoon is now being patterned for bow and stern SeaDek as well as helm pads for the Captains seat and 1st mate seat as well as other little flooring upgrades utilizing SeaDek.

I can confidently recommend SeaDek. It’s great stuff when installed correctly and I give it two thumbs up!!

Dan
Old 12-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #23
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Did the Bennington decking need replacement (what age), or do you see things in Sea-Dek that prompted early replacement/installation?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #24
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Did the Bennington decking need replacement (what age), or do you see things in Sea-Dek that prompted early replacement/installation?
Descant,

No, the Bennington flooring was in great shape, heck my boat is only a couple years old! I’m adding the SeaDek as an enhancement. I am adding it to the bow and stern outside the playpen area and also adding a couple helm pads at strategic locations mainly for looks and comfort.

Dan
Old 12-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #25
Cobalt 25

Anyone know if this product, SeaDeck, is used on Formulas? It looks like the material on our swim platform and we like it a lot.
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #26
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Wanted to bring this thread back up since my wife’s boat has had her SeaDek on for a full year. Her boat stays in the water all summer on the prevailing wind side of Welch fully exposed to sun, wind and all the elements completely uncovered and the SeaDek has held up just great. No signs of any peeling or fading whatsoever. It was a great improvement on her boat and we are very pleased with the product thus far.

My Bennington pontoon is now being patterned for bow and stern SeaDek as well as helm pads for the Captains seat and 1st mate seat as well as other little flooring upgrades utilizing SeaDek.

I can confidently recommend SeaDek. It’s great stuff when installed correctly and I give it two thumbs up!!

Dan
Thanks Dan, I appreciate the one year usage review!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #27
glastron guy

I had Gatorstep installed on my swim platform and have found it to be excellent so far. We like it so much that we are going to do the rest of the boat. Price was much cheaper than Sea Deck. Reviews of Sea Deck were not that good and looking at some of the boats with Sea Deck I could see evidence of it starting to peel. Have not had Gatorstep long enough to know how it will hold up.
glastron guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #28
ishoot308

Love the SeaDek so much on my wife’s boat decided to have Winnisquam Marine add it to the bow and stern of my toon. Also added a couple helm pads at the Captain and 1st mate seats. Definitely dresses it up and very comfortable on the feet, not hot at all. See pics below....

Dan
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #29
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Looks Great Dan. I had the same installed on my Sea Ray and I love it, soft comfortable and never hot
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 11:06 PM   #30
LakeTimes

Anyone have any experience on how this holds up with dogs onboard? I've been going back and forth on installing it. My only concern is the dog's nails will destroy it.
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:41 AM   #31
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC19 View Post
Anyone have any experience on how this holds up with dogs onboard? I've been going back and forth on installing it. My only concern is the dog's nails will destroy it.
I have a 75 lb yellow lab, absolutely no issues. It’s tough stuff!!

Dan
Old 05-30-2018, 09:06 AM   #32
dt5150

sharp looking upgrade for the bat mobile. looks nice
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dt5150 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-30-2018)
Old 06-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #33
ishoot308

Default SeaDek

Thought I would update this thread one last time...This will be the third season for SeaDek on my wife's boat and thus far other than a very slight fade, it's been perfect with no sign of peeling anywhere!

As an fyi...my wife's boat is left uncovered (self draining hull) and in the water 24-7 for the entire season at our camp on the west side of Welch island where it is in full sun and wind all day long!

Still "two thumbs up!"

Dan
Hillcountry (06-06-2019), thinkxingu (06-06-2019), trfour (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #34
CooperS7777

For anyone interested in SeaDeck, Gator Step, Marine Mat etc., Supreme Marine in Gilford has accounts with all of the major manufactures, as well as samples of each in house. Typically there is a boat or two there as well that we have installed one of these products in.

SM also has the ability to laser template floors in house, creating custom CAD files specific to your boat. This means two things; first and most importantly is that it can be installed in ANY boat, regardless if the manufacturer has templates on hand for that boat. Secondly it means that the fit and finish you get will be much nicer than a "one size fits all" template that is pulled from the manufactures files.

The templates available from manufacturers, are templates which other customers (and sometimes the boat manufacturers themselves) have provided by various means. This may be by creating paper templates and sending them back for translation to cad, by hand measurements alone etc. Two boats of the same make and model often have slight variations which can lead to noticeably larger gaps in flooring around things like table bases, cleats, consoles etc. when standard templates are used. By creating a template specific to your boat, the end result is a much cleaner install.

Last edited by CooperS7777; 06-06-2019 at 11:37 PM.
CooperS7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CooperS7777 For This Useful Post:
Descant (06-09-2019), ishoot308 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 11:18 PM   #35
Downeast

Default seadeck

Yes, Matt Resca of
supreme marine in Gilford is comfortable with decking overlay.

He is the only one in the area that has the proper equipment to digitize the cut drawing needed for a precise fit.
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downeast For This Useful Post:
CooperS7777 (06-06-2019), ishoot308 (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #36
brk-lnt

FWIW, the most common problem I have heard of with SeaDek and other foam deck coverings has been darker colors getting excessive heat in rounded corner areas. Basically, new (or well-polished) gel coat in some medium-radius corners can act like a mini parabolic reflector and concentrate some sunlight in a small spot that really heats up the darker stuff and causes it to shrink, discolor, or unstick.

SeaDek has warranted the cases I've heard about, but I believe they started to require customers to replace it with a lighter color when that is a problem.
ishoot308 (06-07-2019)