Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default Recent E-10 experiance

I had one of my vehicles that has not been used much and had the same tank of gas for over a month in it. This vehicle was running like crap, no power at all and poor fuel economy, 30 miles less then usual on this tank.
Yesterday it was below ¼ so I filled it up with fresh gas and you would have thought it had a new engine with the change. The same hill I was going up the day before in 2nd gear I could easily stay in 3rd gear.
I know we have been having some pretty huge temp swings between the heat of the day and the cool nights and on top of that all this humidity. So I’m pretty sure that contributed to the fuel breaking down. Yes it could have been bad gas but it ran great before it sat in the driveway while I drove my bike to work.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I really hate that ethenol! We just got out a little engine -first time this year and it wouldn't run. $250 to get the carburetor cleaned.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
dippasan

Default Startron Enzyme Treatment

As a former mechanic I can tell you that E-10 has been creating havoc with all kinds of internal combustion engines.
To eliminate any future problems with "occasional use" motorized things, use the Startron Enzyme fuel treatment.
It comes in a light blue bottle and the concentrated 16 oz bottle will treat up to 256 gallons of gas. It can be bought almost anywhere i.e. Walmart and auto parts stores.
I have several snowmobiles and motorcycles not to mention a generator, lawn tractor, chain saw etc etc. Stuff that potentially sits for quite some time. Since using the Enzyme treatment I never have a problem. I took out one of my motorcycles last week and it hadn't been driven since March. It fired right up and ran perfect. I have cleaned more carburetors for family members and friends in the last couple of years then I care to remember. Use it in anything gas powered. 2 stroke, 4 stroke...doesn't matter.

Good luck!
ApS (07-28-2012), Belmont Resident (07-25-2012), Jonas Pilot (07-25-2012), Mirror Lake's BB (07-25-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
As a former mechanic I can tell you that E-10 has been creating havoc with all kinds of internal combustion engines.
To eliminate any future problems with "occasional use" motorized things, use the Startron Enzyme fuel treatment.
It comes in a light blue bottle and the concentrated 16 oz bottle will treat up to 256 gallons of gas. It can be bought almost anywhere i.e. Walmart and auto parts stores.
I have several snowmobiles and motorcycles not to mention a generator, lawn tractor, chain saw etc etc. Stuff that potentially sits for quite some time. Since using the Enzyme treatment I never have a problem. I took out one of my motorcycles last week and it hadn't been driven since March. It fired right up and ran perfect. I have cleaned more carburetors for family members and friends in the last couple of years then I care to remember. Use it in anything gas powered. 2 stroke, 4 stroke...doesn't matter.

Good luck!
Thanks. We learned the hard way to use that in all our stuff like that. However, we forgot about this little motor last year. Why does the government make us buy stuff like this that we hate???? Why can't we have old fashioned gas.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Thanks. We learned the hard way to use that in all our stuff like that. However, we forgot about this little motor last year. Why does the government make us buy stuff like this that we hate???? Why can't we have old fashioned gas.
Unfortunately it may get worse before it gets better.
There is talk of going to an E-20 instead of E 10.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
dan

Quote:
Thanks. Why does the government make us buy stuff like this that we hate????
Because We let them.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
AC2717

Quote:
Unfortunately it may get worse before it gets better.
There is talk of going to an E-20 instead of E 10.
thanks the lobbyists for the corn industries, much like the oil lobbyists back in the early 1900's and 20's that got proabition through because Alcohol running cars and products were going to crush them
Old 07-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
thanks the lobbyists for the corn industries, much like the oil lobbyists back in the early 1900's and 20's that got proabition through because Alcohol running cars and products were going to crush them
I think the corn producers were happy about this but I think the push came from our leaders with an Al Gore persuasion.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Because We let them.
But how can we stop it? The only way I know is if enough people in this country get sick and tired of it and call and write letters to Congress. They just don't care if it ruins our engines. And now we are going to have a food shortage.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Belmont Resident

Thumbs down

Quote:
But how can we stop it? The only way I know is if enough people in this country get sick and tired of it and call and write letters to Congress. They just don't care if it ruins our engines. And now we are going to have a food shortage.
As long as only the rich can get into office we’re screwed.
Yup, once again it the lesser of two evils as a choice for our next president.
I can’t tell you how often I here that term used.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Belmont Resident

Quote:

Good luck!
We have had good luck so far with Stabil Marine formula. And since I just bought a gallon and a half of it I'm gonna have to start treating the fuel in the little used vehicle.
I'm with you though and treat every tank of fuel I get for everything but the vehicles. I have always gone through it within 2-3 weeks.
Hey does anyone know if diesel fuel is susceptible to the same problems as E-10 gas?
During the summer the truck doesn't get used much at all.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Hey does anyone know if diesel fuel is susceptible to the same problems as E-10 gas?.
NO: Diesel is not effected by Ethonal. Long time (Years) storeage of diesel can be stabilized by a diesel fuel stabilizer. Diesel fuel can GROW some kind of bacteria..or something, if not treated. My diesel sailboat (Yanmar Engine) was stored for seven years with a one time application of a Diesel stabilizer. I can't remember the name. After seven years of storeage, it started up on the first revolution of the engine. The SALE depended on that. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
dippasan

Quote:
To add insult to injury, the fossil fuels and carbon footprint to produce the ethanol in E-10 is greater than had the E-10 not been in the fuel to begin with. i.e. fertilizer for the corn, fuel and equipment to plant, harvest, process, deliver the corn and manufacture the E-10. On top of that I can only imagine how much gasoline with E-10 is disposed of, properly or improperly each year because it performs so poorly after such a short period of time.
HomeWood (07-28-2012), Jonas Pilot (07-26-2012), Mirror Lake's BB (07-28-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
NO: Diesel is not effected by Ethonal. Long time (Years) storeage of diesel can be stabilized by a diesel fuel stabilizer. Diesel fuel can GROW some kind of bacteria..or something, if not treated. My diesel sailboat (Yanmar Engine) was stored for seven years with a one time application of a Diesel stabilizer. I can't remember the name. After seven years of storeage, it started up on the first revolution of the engine. The SALE depended on that. NB
NB is correct- no issues with ethanol but long term (we treat our fuel at the snomo garage because we go 6-8 months in the off season without filling a groomer).

Ethanol is why I am looking at diesel or propane powered generators for the house.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
To add insult to injury, the fossil fuels and carbon footprint to produce the ethanol in E-10 is greater than had the E-10 not been in the fuel to begin with. i.e. fertilizer for the corn, fuel and equipment to plant, harvest, process, deliver the corn and manufacture the E-10. On top of that I can only imagine how much gasoline with E-10 is disposed of, properly or improperly each year because it performs so poorly after such a short period of time.
There is also another little gem in regards to Ethanol. It directly affects how efficient the fuel is atomized and therefore how well it burns. As a rule it's combustion properties are far worse leading to more unburned fuel being expelled through the exhaust and therefore needing more catalyst to compensate. The whole idea is bad in so many ways, but the idea that somehow we are "growing" our fuel seems to trump the laundry list of side affects. As has already been mentioned, this is why it is so important to pay attention to what our elected officials are doing, and when necessary throw the bums out of office.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (07-26-2012), dan (07-26-2012), dippasan (07-26-2012), Mirror Lake's BB (07-26-2012), NoRegrets (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
Misty Blue

Default Alcohol supply?

There is a major drought in this country. Corn production is way down. What does this mean for a fuel supply that is 10% alcohol? Are we going to have to line up at the pumps to buy crappy gas?

I saw an add from one of the major oil companies that said that they were going to use aclohol from Brazil. This alcohol is made from sugar cane which is much more practical for alcohol production than corn but does take away from the "energy indipendance" argument for E-10.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
NoRegrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
There is a major drought in this country. Corn production is way down. What does this mean for a fuel supply that is 10% alcohol? Are we going to have to line up at the pumps to buy crappy gas?

I saw an add from one of the major oil companies that said that they were going to use aclohol from Brazil. This alcohol is made from sugar cane which is much more practical for alcohol production than corn but does take away from the "energy indipendance" argument for E-10.

Misty Blue.
No problem, Brazil has been cutting down their rain forests to plant corn and sugar cain to create Ethanol. They will be able to make as much as we need. We purchase more from them than generate in our country. We "outsourced" the process. Brilliant political move!!!! NOT
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
As has already been mentioned, this is why it is so important to pay attention to what our elected officials are doing, and when necessary throw the bums out of office.
All I can say is term limits! Political office was never meant to be a career!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtagrip For This Useful Post:
MAXUM (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
All I can say is term limits! Political office was never meant to be a career!
Nor a place to get a golden parachute retirement either!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
dt5150

which gas station did the bad fuel come from? i'm local too, always get my gas at the irving on 106.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
AC2717

Quote:
Not to mention the mpg on ethanol treated gas is well below, and proven, straight gas

sorry maxum hit this on the head, but i was just saying it in leymans terms
Old 07-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Not to mention the mpg on ethanol treated gas is well below, and proven, straight gas

sorry maxum hit this on the head, but i was just saying it in leymans terms
Exactly, less fuel economy, more emissions to deal with, more complicated power plant to overcome the increased emissions, nevermind the increased repair costs for all the above and all for what? This whole experiment is costing the consumers big time, but nah don't pay any attention to the fact, doesn't it make you "feel" good? Astonishing how many just don't get it!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #23
Smith Point

How do you dispose of old fuel? We have a 12’ johnboat with a 9.9 outboard, that has not been used in years (5?) and I’m sure that the fuel is bad and would like to replace it with new. Any suggestions.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #24
Mirror Lake's BB

Default When it comes to the government...

Quote:
It seems like it is much harder to undo something than to do. Once we started with the corn/ethanol, forget about changing it. Another example, illegal immigration. There are so many illegals in the country, the politicians tip toe carefully around the issue. Same with gun laws (assault weapons). I'm not saying I'm on one side or another, but it is interesting how these things get addressed when it comes to getting (re)elected.

Nothing more than an observation.
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #25
Orion

Default Take action

Everybody write their Congressmen. I did. Email works.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote