Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Ames Farm

Does Ames Farm have docking facilities ? Would be coming by boat from Wolfeboro ? Also, what is the prce range, reasonable or expensive ? Anotherwords, am I going to pay $10. for a stack of pancakes ? Last, does anyone know what time they open in the morning ? Thanks!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog
Does Ames Farm have docking facilities ? Would be coming by boat from Wolfeboro ? Also, what is the prce range, reasonable or expensive ? Anotherwords, am I going to pay $10. for a stack of pancakes ? Last, does anyone know what time they open in the morning ? Thanks!
They do have docks...how much space is available depends on how many people staying there have boats with them. Frequently, people coming for breakfast would tie up to the main dock near the summer house with the Ames Farm sign on it. Breakfast is from 7:30 - 2:00. I haven't been there in a while, but their prices used to be reasonable.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
bigdog

Default Ames Farm location

Is Ames Farm location, due South on Diamond Island, bewteen Coleman's Point and Sleeper's Point ?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Rose

Quote:
Is Ames Farm location, due South on Diamond Island, bewteen Coleman's Point and Sleeper's Point ?

Thanks!
Yes, it is, although it's closer to Coleman's Point.

Here's the link to their website just in case you want to call ahead and make sure you'll be able to dock the boat.

http://www.amesfarminn.com/
Old 07-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
bigdog

Default Ames Farm

Thank you kindly Rose for all the info. about Ames Farm. Will give them a try maybe mid-week. Thanks again ! LOVE THESE FORUMS, GREAT INFORMATION SOURCE !
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
Rose

Default You're welcome

Quote:
Thank you kindly Rose for all the info. about Ames Farm. Will give them a try maybe mid-week. Thanks again ! LOVE THESE FORUMS, GREAT INFORMATION SOURCE !
You are most welcome. Having gone there from in utero to the age of 33, I can attest that it's a wonderful place.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
mets3007

Default Its a good resturant

I have been there alot of times when I go to NH and have loved it each time and recommend it to anyone. The prices are reasonable and the service is friendly. Just that its not the fastest place so if your in a rush look elsewhere but if you want to relax and enjoy a good breakfast this resturant is for you. I give it a 8/10.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
bigdog

Default Ames Farm

Thanks all for the positive feedback. I'll drop in by boat on Sunday for breakfast. Have a great weekend everyone, looks like the weather is going to be beautiful !
Old 07-07-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
Rose

Default Get there early

Quote:
Thanks all for the positive feedback. I'll drop in by boat on Sunday for breakfast. Have a great weekend everyone, looks like the weather is going to be beautiful !
Get there early if you can...it's crowded on weekends.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
NothernWoods

Default Owl's Nest down the road from Ames has boat access

The Owl's Nest that is within a mile from Ames farm, has boat access. They open at 7... great organic coffee too!
NothernWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #11
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothernWoods
The Owl's Nest that is within a mile from Ames farm, has boat access. They open at 7... great organic coffee too!
NW, is there a sign identifying the Owl's Nest on the dock? Is it east or west of Ames Farm?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #12
NothernWoods

There is a small sign identifying the dock. you have to be within 100 yards to see it. Its east of ames farm, just about the dead center of the cove where Ames farm is... hope you enjoy!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothernWoods
There is a small sign identifying the dock. ...
What does the sign say?

Bizer maintains lists of places to eat/sleep by boat and Owl's Nest wasn't on our list. So I called the hotel. Whoever answered the phone said that the dock is not for Owl's Nest customers. It's for island residents.

Can anyone confirm this?

Eating by boat: http://www.bizer.com/w2eat.htm
Hotels with docking: http://www.bizer.com/w2sleep.htm

CORRECTION: About two hours after I posted the above, I received a phone call from Owl's Nest. I stand corrected. Short-term docking is available for the restaurant, but long-term docking is not available to guests staying at the cottages.

Last edited by Bizer; 06-08-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #14
NothernWoods

The Owl's Nest Cottages, Store, and Restaurant are all the same thing. They don't have enough dock space available for people staying at the Cottages to bring their boats, but it is free for any customer traveling by boat, islanders or not, to use in order to access the store or restaurant... I've been doing it for years. They love boaters in there! They
Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
Phantom

Now I'm confused --

Is Owl's Nest dock in and among the Ame's Farm set of pier's or is is completely seperate i.e. a stand-alone which might appear to be a private dock from afar. If the latter, which side of Ame's should I look for it (as you boat in)???

We love boat accesible places where we can stop and get sandwiches/ soda's and whatever.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #16
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Now I'm confused --
Their dock is located East of Ames, in Alton.

The MapTech map displays a broken line for the town boundry between Gilford and Alton, with Ames to the Left and Owl's Nest to the Right.

There's a bit of an uphill walk from the docks...

The return walk is downhill...

Hope this helps:

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepag...latlontype=DMS
Old 06-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #17
Phantom

Thanks -- It was getting confusing as to wether the Owl's Nest dock was (perhaps) an extension/ additional at Ames.

Clearly to the East now I see

Thanks Again
Old 06-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #18
Tir Na Nog

Default Owl's Nest

We tried the Owl's Nest on Sunday. The dock is not too hard to find. Coming off the Broads if you go off the southern tip of Diamond and then follow along the shore east of Ames Farm you should find it. We found it by cruising around Ames Farm (first West then the right way). It has a yellow sign on the dock that if I recall says Wild Owl (maybe the prior name). There only is docking for two boats. Sunday morning was busy in the restaurant with Bike Week, but we were seated relatively fast. I ordered hash and eggs on the recommendation of the waitress. The hash ended up coming our fairly burnt and I ended up with wheat instead of raisin toast. However, the waitress was very good about it and got me another order of hash and was very apologetic. (She offered to change the toast as well, but I did not mind the wheat.) Second order of hash was fine. In the end, she did not charge for the hash. I would try there again as the staff seemed very nice and I do not mind a mistake, we all make them, when the mistake is made with the right attitude and corrective action. BTW, my wife had the raisin toast, I tried it and it was very tastey.
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
Dave M

Default Owl's Nest

We also tried Ames Farm and thought it was just OK, maybe it was a bad day. Did have to wait a while to get served.
We did try the Owl's Nest per NW suggestion. When we arrived there were few couples. By the time we sat down the place was full. We knew we were going to wait BUT the waitress came up to us and told us that we would have to wait. They gave us coffee,etc until served(35min). Three of
us had the eggs benedict, 1 french toast, 2 eggs,etc. I use the eggs benedict as a gauge for how a restaurant is. To me it take a little more effort to prepare this plate. All enjoyed their plates. Have been back since.
Found the dock with no problems, just looked for yellow sign.

In talking with the waitress on the last visit, the chef has left.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #20
SIKSUKR

OK,Sunday we headed down Rt 11 towards Alton looking for a different place for breakfast.We came upon the Owls Nest and remembered hearing about it here so I stopped in.We walked in the door and found that we were in a small grocery store at the front.YThere wasn't anybody maning the counter but a note said to ask for the waitress out back in the dining area.We waited a few minutes and were seated by a window in the small room connected to the store.I think there were only 4 or 5 tables in this room.We both ordered what was called the "3" egg omlete.Well forget that 3 number!This thing came out and it was about 3-4 inches high.We both wondered how they could get 3 eggs to fluff out so big.After eating a portion we soon realized this omlette was not all air.The waitress came by and asked how everything was and asked if the omlette was big enough.We commented on it's enormous size and she told us they are not 3 eggs but more like 5-6.I'd agree.This thing was more than even I could finish.That's saying a lot.The coffee was fantastic as well as the omlette.Thumbs up from us!