Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Blogs Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
GTO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 946
Default Stay in

Rte 25 is a skating rink. Accidents all over. Sanders just getting out now. Traffics backed going down the hill towards meredith to patrician shores
__________________
GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
Mooseyme
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11
Default updates

Any updates/reports on road conditions from Ashland to Moultonborough? RT 132, 104, and 25 update?
Mooseyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
GTO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 946
Default Clear now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseyme View Post
Any updates/reports on road conditions from Ashland to Moultonborough? RT 132, 104, and 25 update?
Just came back from town. 25 is clear, just wet. Traffic moving freely
__________________
GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
TheProfessor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 418
Default

Multiple cars off road on Route 93.

93 south at junction of route 89. Cars heading south could not make up hill.
Tractor trailer jack knifed. Fire trucks on highway could not move because of ice.

Just wonder why the DPW didn't get a handle on this before the rain.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be aware if temperature is 19 degrees and rain is predicted that there just might be problems.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #5
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Multiple cars off road on Route 93.

93 south at junction of route 89. Cars heading south could not make up hill.
Tractor trailer jack knifed. Fire trucks on highway could not move because of ice.

Just wonder why the DPW didn't get a handle on this before the rain.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be aware if temperature is 19 degrees and rain is predicted that there just might be problems.
It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to be aware if temperature is 19 degrees and rain is predicted that people stay off the roads unless it is absolutely necessary.
__________________
“Private property and freedom are inseparable.” — George Washington
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
RLW
Senior Member
 
RLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alton Bay on the mountain by a lake
Posts: 2,018
Smile

Mooseyme, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in August 2009. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Great to see'ya back on the forum.

__________________
There is nothing better than living on Alton Mountain & our grand kids visits.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
Mooseyme
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11
Thumbs up Thanks!

Travelers made it safely! Thanks everyone for your info.
Mooseyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
Phantom
Senior Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hudson, Ma / Gilford
Posts: 1,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Multiple cars off road on Route 93.

93 south at junction of route 89. Cars heading south could not make up hill.
Tractor trailer jack knifed. Fire trucks on highway could not move because of ice.

Just wonder why the DPW didn't get a handle on this before the rain.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be aware if temperature is 19 degrees and rain is predicted that there just might be problems.

Well -- My wife & I set an all time record for the amount of time it takes to commute between our Condo in Gilford and home in MA yesterday. A normal 1hour, 50 min ride took a record setting 5hr 10min yesterday.

Left the condo shortly before 11 and as stated above the roads were just beginning to show signs of glazing over (our goal was to beat it South before it got too bad). There were no less than 25 separate skidding accidents on 93 between Tilton and Concord. Five of which looked rather severe (overturned vehicles). But nothing compared to being stuck in Concord for over and hour -- virtually trapped between exits - in what I now know to be the tanker jack-knife. Seems they closed BOTH North & Southbound as a result.

One observation was that because there were evidently SO many incidents -- the State Police (and local's) must have been stretched to the MAX as not a SINGLE incident that we passed on 93 had a State Cruiser respond (until the Concord incident) only Samaritans.

What amazes me most is the number of IDIOTS that still do not understand that no matter how good your vehicle, no matter how talented a driver you may think you are --- ICE doesn't give a $hoot !! I cannot tell you the number of times yesterday when just passing a skid out - you look in the side view to see some wacko flying up from behind in the (now clearly iced) passing lane.


safely home,
Phantom


.
__________________
A bad day on the Big Lake (although I've never had one) - Still beats a day at the office!!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Well -- My wife & I set an all time record for the amount of time it takes to commute between our Condo in Gilford and home in MA yesterday. A normal 1hour, 50 min ride took a record setting 5hr 10min yesterday.

Left the condo shortly before 11 and as stated above the roads were just beginning to show signs of glazing over (our goal was to beat it South before it got too bad). There were no less than 25 separate skidding accidents on 93 between Tilton and Concord. Five of which looked rather severe (overturned vehicles). But nothing compared to being stuck in Concord for over and hour -- virtually trapped between exits - in what I now know to be the tanker jack-knife. Seems they closed BOTH North & Southbound as a result.

One observation was that because there were evidently SO many incidents -- the State Police (and local's) must have been stretched to the MAX as not a SINGLE incident that we passed on 93 had a State Cruiser respond (until the Concord incident) only Samaritans.

What amazes me most is the number of IDIOTS that still do not understand that no matter how good your vehicle, no matter how talented a driver you may think you are --- ICE doesn't give a $hoot !! I cannot tell you the number of times yesterday when just passing a skid out - you look in the side view to see some wacko flying up from behind in the (now clearly iced) passing lane.


safely home,
Phantom


.
Umm not for nothing but you were out in it too!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 779
Default

There's nothing like the feeling of hitting the brakes and getting no response.

No decelleration, no anti-lock braking noise, just the quiet and an erie sensation in the pit of the stomach that says I'M SCREWED!!!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
Phantom
Senior Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hudson, Ma / Gilford
Posts: 1,465
Default

I totally agree dpg!

When we left, it was just beginning to drizzle and "Appeared" to be okay. Rte 3 from Gilford thru Tilton was no issues. Which might have triggered a turn around. We also knew that it was only raining with Temps in the low 40's in MA. So how bad could it be .....right? A slow and steady ride has never rattled us in the past (be it snow or week-end leaf peepers)

Thus (on bad judgment) figured we would beat the messy roads as opposed to being in the midst of it and left early. Normally we do not trek back until dinner hour --- which with 20/20 hindsight is what we should have done yesterday.




.
__________________
A bad day on the Big Lake (although I've never had one) - Still beats a day at the office!!

Last edited by Phantom; 01-19-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #12
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,312
Default

I believe the issue this weekend was that the ground was just so cold. Even last night walking the dog it didn't feel that cold at all (well considering) but the street was getting a little slick to walk on.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #13
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,397
Default

^ It was almost forty here and still freezing on the ground. Exactly what caused the ice storm of '08.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #14
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,650
Default

This happened yesterday in NJ:

__________________
“Private property and freedom are inseparable.” — George Washington
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #15
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,327
Default .....sandy...sandy...sandy...and more sandy!

On Sunday, there was so much sanding sand spread all over the Meredith Neck Rd by the big fleet of town trucks that it looked like a sandy beach.....for a couple minutes there....I thought I was driving down Daytona Beach at 40-mph .....sandy-sandy-sandy....until I woke up after smacking into a deer and was still in Meredith, NH.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #16
SIKSUKR
Senior Member
 
SIKSUKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,947
Default

Holy dirty diapers Rusty! Not sure if I would have stayed where this guy was with that double trailer coming at me. Wow!
__________________
SIKSUKR

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 01-22-2015 at 03:28 PM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #17
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Breckenridge CO
Posts: 4,532
Default Was in Conn.

Glad I waited until yesterday instead of traveling Sunday from New Haven.

I usually travel up 91 to Rte 9 in NH. Instead of the Kamikaze traffic on 84/90/390/495.
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.17080 seconds