Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
mc_883

Default Red Gate Lodge?

I wanted to say hello! I found this post by accident while searching the net for information about Lake Winnipesaukee.. The lake has always had a special place in my heart although i have not been there for many years the childhood memories are still very strong. I went with my family from when i was one year old ( that was 1956) and my last family visit was when i was thirteen, I did go back with friends in 1974 and the last time was 1976 Sooooo its been 31 years ( Way to long) One of questions i would like to ask is about where we used to stay if anyone has any information it would be great... We used to stay at a place called the Red gate lodge they had cabins there i think it was close to wolfeboro because thats where we used to shop.

Thanks, Wayne
mc_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Welcome back

The lake has changed a lot in 31 years, but is still a magical place. One of the changes is the Winnipesaukee.com site. The site and associated community has been in operation for over 10 years. Read the notes, check the cams, plan a visit! There are lots of Web resources for finding lodging and planning a drive around the lake.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
KennyOfTheLake

I'm pretty sure I know the place you are referring to. Back in the 80's we stayed several times at the group of cabins next door, Winona Manor. Redgate is (was?) midway between 19 Mile Bay and 20 Mile Bay in the Mirror Lake area near Center Tuftonboro. The cabins are at the end of Redgate Road and look out at Chases Island. Winona has been converted into condos, I believe, and Redgate may have gone the same route. In any event, I think the buildings are still there. Very pretty spot.
KennyOfTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
KBoater

Question Condo??

You’re right about the location.
I know they were going condo about 20? years ago. The owners were holding back things with many restrictions so I’m not sure if they succeeded.
Nice place still.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
mc_883

Default Red Gate lodge

Thank you for the responce... It was so long ago, I wish i had more information... I was hoping to find out what happened to the the place.
I dont think it was on red gate rd... i think as we left wolfboro we traveled north along the lake it was not a long ride there was a dirt rd on the left that said Red gate lodge when you turned on this road there was a house that was owned by what i called my uncle joe you drove past the house maybe 1/4 mile to the cabins. They had a small beach a recreation room with a good size dock. I sometimes kick myself for not asking my parents more questions when they were around!!! Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

mc. I know how it is when you want to find out something about a place. I was hoping someone else could tell you more, but I will try to help a little. It is just above 19 Mile Bay in Tuftonboro. I believe the sign is still there, but I won't swear to that. I think they have some year round rentals there now. You are right, it is on the left. Maybe someone else can add more.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
KennyOfTheLake

Default Red Gate

My son knows someone who is up in that area. He said he'd give her a call and see if she can give any more info. The reason I said Redgate Road is because if it was the place beside Winona Manor, then google maps has a redgate road that looks like the one! Go to http://maps.google.com and search on "redgate road, mirror lake, NH" It's a dirt road 7 miles north of Wolfeboro on the left. I know the place next to Winona was called Red Gate, just not sure if it's the one you're referring too. Anyway, if I hear more I'll post. Have a good day.

k
KennyOfTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:32 AM   #8
dpg

MC: I don't believe you stated where you live. I'm assuming from your post's and responses a drive there is out of the question. These days with GPS and all it'll bring you right where your thinking, although it sounds like you already know the way. How bout someone that lives in the area taking a "stroll" for MC and reporting back? I would but I'm down here in mass. FIELDTRIP!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
mc_883

Default Red gate

Thanks again for all your help.... KennyOfTheLake I did not think ( I could be wrong) that it was a real road but more of a driveway from the road to the lake so i was not thinking of it as a town rd, Confusing is it not?
I live in the small rual town of Mansfield pa i have been here for 14 years
moved from Long island, Worked in NYC for 21 years and decided it was time for a change. My wife also went to the lake growing up, We
both want to come back and visit.. But this year we have been visiting my daughter in Virgina as much as we can due to her husband is deployed. Back to the Lake
i have fond memories of the Yum-Yum shop in wolfboro.. I remember a museum but dont remember where it was? Thanks......
Old 07-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
DougNJ

Default great childhood memories

I found this thread quite by accident after finding the Wolfeboro webside, and I searched for Redgate Lodges. We spent August vacations there in the late 1950's through the mid to late 1960's. I've often wondered if the cabins still existed as I loved going there. There were always so many nice families staying there. I learned to waterski there. We loved, as a family, going to the church suppers in Milton and some of the other small towns around the area. The last time I was there was the summer that Elvis died, which I think was '76 or '77.
DougNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
DougNJ

Default Blueberry muffins

I have never found a Blueberry muffin as good as the ones we used to get at the Yum Yum bakery.
Doug in Summit, NJ
DougNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
Flylady

Default Welcome!

Doug,
Welcome to a great site. Thanks for sharing your memories of visits to the lake. Better than those memories is planning a trip back to visit. I did that 8 years ago after being gone for 30 years, and guess what, I decide to make Wolfeboro my summer home! Have never regretted it a moment.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
riverat

Default Would this be the place, nowadays

http://www.beangroup.com/real_estate...onboro/1224609
Old 03-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #14
dakesh

Default Rent a house at Red Gate

HEY THERE (years later). I think this might be the place. My family stayed there too in the 70s. So now it's privately owned cottages but this seems to be it. For $2800 you can rent this house there for two weeks. Too bad I would not want to go for 2 weeks. Might instead stay at the Pow Wow cabins on Mirror Lake.

https://www.weichert.com/62366943/

When we stayed at Red Gate, there was a sense of community among the guests and people would gather in the common areas including the rec center where I remember playing bingo. Obviously staying there now in a vacation rental would probably not be quite the same experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_883 View Post
I wanted to say hello! I found this post by accident while searching the net for information about Lake Winnipesaukee.. The lake has always had a special place in my heart although i have not been there for many years the childhood memories are still very strong. I went with my family from when i was one year old ( that was 1956) and my last family visit was when i was thirteen, I did go back with friends in 1974 and the last time was 1976 Sooooo its been 31 years ( Way to long) One of questions i would like to ask is about where we used to stay if anyone has any information it would be great... We used to stay at a place called the Red gate lodge they had cabins there i think it was close to wolfeboro because thats where we used to shop.

Thanks, Wayne
dakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the Forums. Hope to see you often.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote