Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default Black bear on Meredith Neck Rd.

Coming home last night the car in front of me almost had a bear in their front seat. Huge black bear crossed without looking. Then in my rear view caught at leat one cub crossing. They crossed on that long straight away just before it drops down to 25 mph going into town. Looked like a 300-400 pound bear all fattened up for the winter.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
fatlazyless

...always nice to have a bear or two in the neighborhood...they are usually very well mannered...

There's another post in here from me, August 31, about seeing a bear run off into the Camp Monotomy wilderness land, way down where Meredith Neck Rd becomes Cattle Landing Rd. That one did not have any cubs present and was a single bear that ran right in front of my car as I drove down the Cattle Landing S-curve.

Maybe locals want to be bringing their cattle into the barn at night what with a bear or two, out & about?

There's a big red haired bull & a buddy black bull that must weigh in at something like 1500-lbs each, corralled close to Eaton Ave, that could probably play volleyball with a 250-lb bear, tossing it around on their horns. No worries there!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-27-2010 at 08:37 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
garysanfran

Default Black bears near Cattle Landing...

In the last two years I have seen 5 bears (including 3 cubs) near Camp Monotomy and Cattle Landing. They cross the road without looking and with no warning. Hitting one would not be pleasant for any party involved! Earlier this year, my neighbor spotted two in my driveway...I wasn't home.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
donnamatrix

Default The bears didn't look before they crossed the road!

I am laughing out loud... somehow I doubt that learning to look both ways is part of bear training. Certainly the deer never look, I nearly clocked one on Route 109 the other night right near my home. Just dashed out from nowhere. Gotta be careful living in the boonies.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
fatlazyless

You know, as far as I know, none of that Camp Monotomy land on the lake, which is huge for waterfront, pays any property tax, and except for the bear(s) there, there just ain't no people, campers, girl scouts or nobody that ever uses all that wilderness....plus it's posted no-hunting so it is basically empty of all humans for about 360 out of 365 days/year. So, maybe the town can figure a way to get the bears to pay a special bear tax.....just think'n out loud here ....or at least do some volunteer work...
Old 10-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Saw a good sized bear on RT109 by the S turn near the Old Colony club about two days ago. He was getting his/her winter coat on as well. You could see the fur waving on that windy day we had....Good looking animal. Looked healthy.

I have yet to get a picture of one this year though. None visiting my house like they normally do.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Turtle Boy

We also saqw one on Mtn. Rd. in Moultonboro about a mile from our house last Sunday.It looked nice and healthy as well. ? same bear?
Turtle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote