Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Ceramic Coating ?

What are folks thoughts regarding 'ceramic coating' for cars? Does it really provide long term protection?

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:46 PM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I had my car ceramic coated and it is great. The people that did it did everything, including the wheels.

Easy to keep clean and just rinse with water. I don't even bother with soap. About 3 minutes with the pressure washer and towel dry,
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-24-2021), trfour (06-23-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 12:36 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default ceramic coating

As TiltonBB says if done right they are terrific. I hear a lot of bad things but it's all in the preparation. I have 5 years and still beading! 7-year guarantee!

My detailer did not recommend pressure washing but did tell me to 'microfiber wash' with an inexpensive detail spray. The spray acts as a lubricant against dirt scratching your finish.

Even the brake dust rinses off! The wheels were coated inside and out! The only thing that needs cleaning were the tyres! The windshield wipers could not wear it off the glass!

The new graphene coatings are supposed to be even better. It is too new to find out.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Pine pitch, bird dropings?

If I park outdoors and get pine pitch or bird droppings, how does the ceramic coating stand up? Same easy clean?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:12 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
If I park outdoors and get pine pitch or bird droppings, how does the ceramic coating stand up? Same easy clean?
Bird droppings rinse right off! Pine pitch, I was able to remove with my fingernails. Grease and tar come right off but gets nasty on the microfiber cloth. Microfiber is cheap. About .25 on sale at Harbor Freight. I buy by the bundle!

Detail spray goes a long way. So spend a little extra money. It actually add a little 'pop' to the finish! Attached is a 2005 MB and 2014 allroad. Both treated and look showroom!
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
LikeLakes

I had a boat done and whatever I expected, the result is 10x better. It just stays clean and looks like it was waxed the day before, now into the 3rd year. A little detail spray and wipe is all that's needed. Then I bought a used sports car and the prior owner did detailing and had coated it, again the car just looks great after a quick wash and I spray and wipe with Mother's quick spray wax. I can spray and wipe down the whole car in about 5 minutes and love how it looks.

I was thinking about trying to do one car myself, but think I'm going to chicken out and get it done at a detail place.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #7
Descant

Default Tuff Kote-Dinol"

Ceramic coating sounds like the future, especially as we get more and more invested in our cars. I recall in the 70's when companies like Tuff-Kote Dinol and Rusty Jones sold after market rust proofing. Started as independent franchises, then the dealers picked it up and then manufacturers. Now, we don't hear much about it. I wonder if ceramic coating will follow a similar evolution?
Old 06-30-2021, 06:50 PM   #8
TheProfessor

Quote:
Ceramic coating sounds like the future, especially as we get more and more invested in our cars. I recall in the 70's when companies like Tuff-Kote Dinol and Rusty Jones sold after market rust proofing. Started as independent franchises, then the dealers picked it up and then manufacturers. Now, we don't hear much about it. I wonder if ceramic coating will follow a similar evolution?
Rusty Jones and Ziebart used a Line-X hardening material. Moisture would get behind this hard black plastic - and cause normal rust.
Rusty Jones went bankrupt.

Oil undercoating or Fluid Film an annual procedure. Has nothing in common with the sprayed on sound proofing of the 1950's or the Rusty Jones/Ziebart of the 1980's.

Just a tidbit about ceramic coating. What happens if one has to have any body shop work/paint work ?

I use a high quality paste wax. Wash, paste on, dry, wipe off. My vehicle is 20 years old and still looks new. And it is not garaged.

Each to their own.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
DotRat (06-30-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
CampEye

For those who were happy with the results, where did you get it done, and what did it cost? Sounds very interesting.
CampEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:14 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Both Getty Shine and Diamond Shine in Gilford do it and will do a good job. There are many people on the Forum who have used them for both cars and boats.

I had a sports car done in Florida and including the plastic protection film on the nose, A pillars, sills, and rockers it was $2,600.
CampEye (07-02-2021), Top-Water (07-01-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Default Executive Detail in Wolfeboro

did a great job. Less wait than others, and pays attention to the details.
CampEye (07-02-2021)
Old 04-26-2022, 03:10 PM   #12
BroadHopper

Default Dealer application of ceramic sealant.

My aunt was suckered into getting a ceramic coating at half the price on her brand new Equinox. The beading was OK until she decided to take it to the car wash. Now it looks like it is gone! No beading.

She went back to the dealer and complain she paid $400 for it and lasts only a few months. Their response was never to take cars to the car wash! They have a car wash available for all their customers!

Just wondering if there were similar experiences.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:37 PM   #13
TiltonBB

If she paid $400 for "ceramic" she probably didn't get the true ceramic, maybe a wax with ceramic in it. The beading should last for years

I had a Lincoln Aviator done for $1,200. It is permanently shiny and the water runs off, better than any wax job I ever did. I had a sports car done for $2,600 but that included plastic protection film for most of the front end, and assorted other parts, so I don't know what portion is just the ceramic coating.

I use to pressure wash and towel dry, no soap. My new method is pressure wash and blow it dry with a battery operated leaf blower. It takes about 3 minutes to blow all the water off. I think the coating is well worth it.
BroadHopper (04-27-2022), TheTimeTraveler (04-26-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 03:38 AM   #14
fatlazyless

With a ceramic coated new Lincoln Aviator, you are just trying to make a wealth statement or show off your money more than having a car that's a reliable every day driver like my used 2014 Subaru which, by the way has a slot for cd disc music. Something that a Lincoln Aviator does NOT have! .....

Plus, this Subaru has a clutch pedal, too, something else the Lincoln doesn't get.

Now, if only Subaru's came with those vent windows that used to be there, up front the side windows, which had a swivel catch. Those vent windows were totally fantastic, and should be brought back into use.

Announcing 2025 ....... everyone! ...... the year the VENT WINDOW returns to Subaru Cars! ...... ha-ha-ha! ..... ...... so, why does it take three years to re-introduce the vent windows ...... hey there Subaru! ...... why not like right now! ..... with a retroactive recall refit for my 2014! ...... viva le vent window with that old swivel catch! ....... fenetre d'aeration de voiture ...... in French!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-27-2022 at 06:09 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:06 AM   #15
BroadHopper

So $400 for a wax job is ridiculous! Even at 1/2 price. Buyers beware of dealers!

As noted on this thread, I have 2 vehicles ceramic waxed. MB in 2013 and allroad last year. Both like new. MB had a 10-year job. It's due last year but I see no need.

The MB for years was washed with PH neutral detergent and dried with a microfiber towel aided by a detail spray. After the Audi treatment, I was told to get a cheap electric pressure washer, 1500 psi is fine, and wash the car, with no detergent. Get a leaf blower to dry the car. Works fantastic! Even after a dirty winter!

Another detailer advises a graphene-based detailing spray after drying. I did that a couple of weeks ago. Beading was much better since the ceramic coating was not graphene-based. Graphene is more hydrophobic!

So yes, ceramic coating is expensive but worth it. You can DIY only if you know what you are doing.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:42 AM   #16
lakershaker

So what about in winter with salt? I go to the carwash regularly to get the underneath clean and salt free. If I get ceramic, will going to the carwash hurt it, or you're saying its just unnecessary?
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #17
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
With a ceramic coated new Lincoln Aviator, you are just trying to make a wealth statement or show off your money more than having a car that's a reliable every day driver like my used 2014 Subaru which, by the way has a slot for cd disc music. Something that a Lincoln Aviator does NOT have! .....
With your 2014 Subaru you are just trying to make a "I'm better than you, my car is more reliable and relatively inexpensive" statement.

I think you shouldn't accuse someone who chooses to own something and chooses to take care of it a certain way as "making a wealth statement", it's not nice to do so.

If I drove a 1994 Volkswagen Rabbit do you want me to accuse you of making a wealth statement or showing off your money by driving your fancy 2014 Subaru? It's all relative, and no need of making accusations of people contributing to a thread about automotive paint coatings.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:48 AM   #18
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
So what about in winter with salt? I go to the carwash regularly to get the underneath clean and salt free. If I get ceramic, will going to the carwash hurt it, or you're saying its just unnecessary?
I struggle with the same thing. Most of the time I wash my own cars, use a spray detailer. But in the winter I find myself going through the car wash to get the salt off at times.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:43 AM   #19
TiltonBB

Quote:

Plus, this Subaru has a clutch pedal, too, something else the Lincoln doesn't get.

Now, if only Subaru's came with those vent windows that used to be there, up front the side windows, which had a swivel catch. Those vent windows were totally fantastic, and should be brought back into use.

Announcing 2025 ....... everyone! ...... the year the VENT WINDOW returns to Subaru Cars! ...... ha-ha-ha! ..... ...... so, why does it take three years to re-introduce the vent windows ...... hey there Subaru! ...... why not like right now! ..... with a retroactive recall refit for my 2014! ...... viva le vent window with that old swivel catch! ....... fenetre d'aeration de voiture ...... in French!
Curiosity question: Is your cell phone a rotary dial?
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (04-27-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 05:38 AM   #20
fatlazyless

Default ...... vent windows in Brazil?

No such thing as a ceramic coating for the car in Brazil where they go with the 'carnauba/coffee bean/Juan Valdez w/ his donkey' wax by Simoniz.

And they have VW's which actually have a real, working vent window!

http://www.dyler.com/posts/99/a-stra...ound-in-brazil ...... just look at all these vent windows with that swivel latch/catch! ... .... they still exist in Brazil, so why not in New Hampshire? The vent window was a very functional design use, and every car used to have two vent windows, one on both sides of the car!

You know that a 2022 ten wheel dump truck made by MACK in Pennsylvania will STILL have with the vent windows!
Old 04-28-2022, 06:47 AM   #21
codeman671

I just had my Escalade done at Todd’s Touch in Somersworth. It was a 5 coat lifetime package, $2400. He keeps the car for 4 days to do it. He is the best in the seacoast and is booked out for months.
Attached Images

codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:09 AM   #22
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I just had my Escalade done at Todd’s Touch in Somersworth. It was a 5 coat lifetime package, $2400. He keeps the car for 4 days to do it. He is the best in the seacoast and is booked out for months.
I'm not bringing my car anywhere they need to flip it over to work on—that's just unsafe!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (05-02-2022), lakershaker (04-28-2022), Newbiesaukee (04-29-2022), TheTimeTraveler (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 07:25 AM   #23
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Anti-gravity shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I'm not bringing my car anywhere they need to flip it over to work on—that's just unsafe!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It's the latest thing on the Seacoast: Anti-gravity shop. Makes it very easy to do all surfaces of the car including the roof. Special lighting on the floor to help show off the shine.
thinkxingu (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 07:37 AM   #24
fatlazyless

If that Escalade came with two vent windows, a 5-speed, and a cd-disc player .... I would be down there at the Cantin's in Laconia, today, to buy one ..... in my dreams .... ha-ha-ha .... !

Think I'll go look'n for a low mileage 2005 Honda Element with all that good stuff!
Old 04-29-2022, 10:54 AM   #25
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
So what about in winter with salt? I go to the carwash regularly to get the underneath clean and salt-free. If I get ceramic, will going to the carwash hurt it, or you're saying its just unnecessary?
Touchless car washes with under-chassis wash are OK in moderation. It's the solution that they use. It won't wash off the ceramic but it may slightly. Just use the minimum wash. You don't need the wax or spotless rinse. After the blow-dry, you will be surprised by how spotless it is. A small microfiber cloth is all you need to finish off. If you see grease, tar, or bird droppings, just wipe with the microfiber, and gone!
Old 04-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #26
BroadHopper

Quote:
I like to know what product he uses. Don't know of any lifetime on the market but I know a number of 10 years warranty. MB has a 10-year Gtechniq treatment and is still strong in its 11th year! Gtechniq products were one of the first ceramics on the market and proven.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:47 PM   #27
Descant

Default New products?

Remember years ago when there were independent rust proofing companies? Rusty Jones, TufKote-Dinol, etc.? After a few years, the dealers, then the manufacturers improved their products and the independents went by the wayside. Will ceramic coating go that way too? Probably not for boats and fiberglass, but perhaps for cars?
Old 04-30-2022, 11:45 PM   #28
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I like to know what product he uses. Don't know of any lifetime on the market but I know a number of 10 years warranty. MB has a 10-year Gtechniq treatment and is still strong in its 11th year! Gtechniq products were one of the first ceramics on the market and proven.
Probably he is working with the odds that you will not own the vehicle for more than 10 years.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:23 AM   #29
LikeLakes

Quote:
Remember years ago when there were independent rust proofing companies? Rusty Jones, TufKote-Dinol, etc.? After a few years, the dealers, then the manufacturers improved their products and the independents went by the wayside. Will ceramic coating go that way too? Probably not for boats and fiberglass, but perhaps for cars?
Interesting thought. I'm going to guess that the specialty ceramic application will remain with detail/autobody places because of the cost and the skill and care needed to apply it. I doubt many dealers will use high end products and commit to personnel that can do it correctly. The dealer scam like described above will continue, fork over $700 and we'll put some glorified wax on, but for a true quality job there's a small group of people willing to pay for the real thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
Descant (05-01-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 12:16 PM   #30
codeman671

Quote:
He uses Ceramic Pro. The warranty paperwork comes directly from the manufacturer. Their Gold Package is a lifetime warranty. There is a free checkup once a year and it is good at any dealer that carries the product. It gets registered on Carfax, tied to your vin as well.

Sorry about the inverted pics, sometimes they invert when uploaded from my phone, and I don't see a tool on this site to correct the orientation. Or maybe I was just showing off the undercarriage?
Old 05-02-2022, 03:21 PM   #31
TheProfessor

" ...... just look at all these vent windows with that swivel latch/catch! ..."

The days of vent windows are long gone. Gone also:
Bench seat
Column shift (except for full size pickups)
DVD players (mostly)
Emergency brake on a cable.
Now called parking brake. The parking brake is electric and either ON or OFF. Not an emergency brake.

And don't forget the crank start. Gone for a few decades now.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:27 PM   #32
fatlazyless

50% of U.S. truck drivers are cigarette smokers, and they want that vent window so's they can flick the ash out the vent, plus they just like the vent window the way it's been for many years.

So, trucks makers like Mack, Kenworth, Freightliner, Volvo, Peterbilt, Hino, Mercedes and Scana still make their big trucks with the vent window. ....

If a 2024 candidate for president runs on a platform that requires all new cars to have vent windows, and all old cars to get retroactive vent windows, I will vote for him/her! Give me a vent window, even if the next president is an alien from outer space!
Old 05-02-2022, 07:05 PM   #33
John Mercier

Most companies will not allow them to smoke in the truck... so they vape sticks - no ashes.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:39 AM   #34
BroadHopper

Quote:
He uses Ceramic Pro. The warranty paperwork comes directly from the manufacturer. Their Gold Package is a lifetime warranty. There is a free checkup once a year and it is good at any dealer that carries the product. It gets registered on Carfax, tied to your vin as well.

Sorry about the inverted pics, sometimes they invert when uploaded from my phone, and I don't see a tool on this site to correct the orientation. Or maybe I was just showing off the undercarriage?
"The gold package comes with a “lifetime” warranty. Be warned that to maintain your warranty you must take the car to the installer (or another Ceramic Pro shop) every year for an “inspection”. The inspection requires a wash, so expect to pay a minimum of $60-$80 per year, but in reality, they will suggest you get additional layers of coatings installed each year. That will likely result in a charge of $200-$400 per year to maintain your “lifetime” warranty."
This was quoted by an experienced 40 years in the business reputable detailer. I prefer GTecniq two-step ceramic or IGL. The GTechniq on my MB is several years old and still beading! The only maintenance is to use C2v3 lightly after washing, like a detail spray! Both are preferred by Diamond Shine and Executive Detail, authorized factory detailer.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:41 PM   #35
codeman671

Quote:
"The gold package comes with a “lifetime” warranty. Be warned that to maintain your warranty you must take the car to the installer (or another Ceramic Pro shop) every year for an “inspection”. The inspection requires a wash, so expect to pay a minimum of $60-$80 per year, but in reality, they will suggest you get additional layers of coatings installed each year. That will likely result in a charge of $200-$400 per year to maintain your “lifetime” warranty."
This was quoted by an experienced 40 years in the business reputable detailer. I prefer GTecniq two-step ceramic or IGL. The GTechniq on my MB is several years old and still beading! The only maintenance is to use C2v3 lightly after washing, like a detail spray! Both are preferred by Diamond Shine and Executive Detail, authorized factory detailer.
We are aware that it needs to go back once a year for the inspection which is free. They will also do a quick detail/once over for $160. Todd's has been around 30 years and he is a personal friend. He is the gold standard of detailers here on the seacoast.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:33 AM   #36
fatlazyless

Paying $30,000 and even more for a car along with a ceramic coating seems a wee bit excessive for 'basic transportation' when you can get a used $13000 Subaru that's good to go for another 150,000-miles.

I think you ceramic coated, big money car guys just like to show off your big money and drive around in a big money, big ego mobile type of a car! .....
Old 05-04-2022, 12:41 PM   #37
codeman671

Quote:
Paying $30,000 and even more for a car along with a ceramic coating seems a wee bit excessive for 'basic transportation' when you can get a used $13000 Subaru that's good to go for another 150,000-miles.

I think you ceramic coated, big money car guys just like to show off your big money and drive around in a big money, big ego mobile type of a car! .....
Says the lakefront property owner with great views, as well as a condo at Waterville Valley! I bet the tinnitus is actually the clanging around of all that money in your pockets
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-05-2022), LikeLakes (05-04-2022), TiltonBB (05-07-2022), upthesaukee (05-04-2022)