Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
TCC

Default Private wells

A couple questions for those who have private water wells. Do you have your well serviced on a regular basis? If so, what do you have done and how often?

Thanks.
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
tummyman

I test the water quality every few years with a commercial testing service just to be sure there are no latent problems. No other service needed. After 32 years, I just changed out the pump at the bottom of the well as preventative maintenance, as it was still working fine but I felt it was way out on its useful life limits and did not want it to fail in the winter or when we had a large water need. Wells are different than septic systems. which need their tanks pumped every 5 years or so, again depending on usage. At 15 years, we have been advised to pump both chambers and replace the pump to avoid problems. That is what our septic service recommends.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default No regular service for me

37 years ago, we (I and a neighbor) had to replace a nylon fitting that went through the well pipe to the feed line . Should have been brass or bronze. Well drillers error when houses were new in 1977.
Since then, I replaced the pump once, a 2-3 hour job. Since my well is only 105 ft deep they hand pulled the pipe/pump to bring up the pump. A deeper well would require special equipment to lift more weight. Older wells that have metal feed lines instead of PVC may require more maintenance as the pipe deteriorates and you get rust in your lines. I think pretty rare these days. I keep planning to test the water, but haven't done it since 1977.

So, the well needs little work. Other parts of the water system, if any, filters, treatment, purification, hot water heater, etc. usually need maintenance or periodic replacement
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

I have a dug well of 18 ft. Fantastic water and have done nothing to it in 22 years except replace the 30 year old shallow well pump that is located in my house.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
TCC

Thanks all.

We have a dug well on the property that was abandoned in favor of a new drilled well. I've thought about seeing if the dug well can be resurrected and fitted with a pitcher pump as an emergency water supply.

Any good well people in the Wolfeboro area?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #6
ITD

I leave mine alone, eventually something will go, but usually the well companies are good and come quickly. I do test the water every few years, but have not had a problem.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

We have a drilled well, 135 ft deep, drilled in late 1976. Dad paid $1400 for the well and running the water line to the mobile home. Over time a 40x8 trailer with a 22x8 porch turned into a 10 room, 2 story house, with the trailer still in the middle of everything. Anyway, last fall, a leak developed in the line from the well head (down in a well tile below ground level) to the house. Water percolating up through the ground and asphalt. Local pump guy had a guy come out and excavate a portion of the line, found the leak, and repaired it with a 12-14 inch long splice in the line. Asked about pulling the pump, and he said wait til spring, as he didn't have time to do the work then. This spring, same problem in the same area. Got smart, called Gilford Well. We were going away over the weekend, so they came out Monday in a cold rain. Did the excavation, and at my request, they pulled the 1/2 hp pump, replaced the pump with a 3/4 hp unit, new plastic pipe down the hole, new electrical down the hole, extended the well head above ground level, and replaced about 15 - 20 ft of waterline to the house. Did a little plumbing in the house to allow running water to get rid of the rusty water and high chlorine from sanitizing. Started at 830 and done around 200. Bottom line, 40 years on the pump, and it was still working. While it was opened up, replace it all and let the kids worry about it next time. may get the water tested in the future, but no rush on that. Love our well water, the taste is better than any bottled water you can buy.

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCC View Post
A couple questions for those who have private water wells. Do you have your well serviced on a regular basis? If so, what do you have done and how often?

Thanks.
No. I don't have drilled/artesian well serviced on any regular basis.
I also have a pump for the septic. No service there either.
Best advice above.
Just get pump replaced after 15 years.

I did have an issue over the decades with the well pump. Intermittent water.
So I paid the $2,200 for a new pump. And again, intermittent water.
The pump replacement company said nothing more that they can do.
After asking around to everyone.
I got one suggestion.
Replace the circuit breaker in panel.
Bingo. Problem solved. It was the circuit breaker all along. On that one.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
TCC (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #9
TCC

Good piece of information to file away for future reference. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:01 AM   #10
jeffk

When I was just a lad, the plastic pipe going to the wells would deteriorate, leak/lose pressure, and need to be replaced. I remember helping my Dad dig up the wellhead which was a pain since it was 4 feet underground. Today's pipe no longer has that problem (as far as I know). My wellhead here is at the surface so is accessible even during winter.

I keep a couple 6 gallon containers of water in the basement for toilet flushing or hand washing during power outages or a pump failure. You can buy drinking water from the supermarket. It might be slightly inconvenient but it's easy to "survive" well outages for the couple of days it takes for the power to come on or the well pump to be replaced.

Neither my father nor I did anything to service our wells. Occasional testing is probably a good idea since underground water flow patterns can change and introduce new stuff into your water.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #11
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

None... unless you count the time I drove over, and cracked the wellhead cover with my tractor!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:10 AM   #12
ApS

Lightbulb Fewer Trips to the Lake...A Two-gallon flush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
When I was just a lad, the plastic pipe going to the wells would deteriorate, leak/lose pressure, and need to be replaced. I remember helping my Dad dig up the wellhead which was a pain since it was 4 feet underground. Today's pipe no longer has that problem (as far as I know). My wellhead here is at the surface so is accessible even during winter. I keep a couple 6 gallon containers of water in the basement for toilet flushing or hand washing during power outages or a pump failure. You can buy drinking water from the supermarket. It might be slightly inconvenient but it's easy to "survive" well outages for the couple of days it takes for the power to come on or the well pump to be replaced. Neither my father nor I did anything to service our wells. Occasional testing is probably a good idea since underground water flow patterns can change and introduce new stuff into your water.
Water for toilet flushing is a concern for islanders who venture out on the ice—and for those who have a well- or lake- water supply problem upon opening-up. Fewer trips down to the lake would be needed with the proper equipment.

During a lapse in water supply, I've found that less than two gallons of water can be used for a near-total flushing. The water has to be "directed" straight down the chute—and one must use a special "bucket". The perfect "bucket"—which I've yet to make myself would be made of 3" PVC with a largish air-vent at the bottom. Perhaps incorporating the vent into a handle? Think of a giant watering can...but with a three-inch diameter spout.

Or enlarge a store-bought four gallon size "dump can", and modify it to a 3" spout. Then put two gallons of water in it and direct two "jolts" of water.

(Timing is everything).

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:56 AM   #13
songkrai

One other anecdote.

One cold January morning. Snow covered yard.

No water. Nothing.

Telephoned the local plumber. Checked everything with water system. Then stated it must be a well issue. Plumber got ahold of a well drilling company. They sent a technician down. Checked the depth of water in well. Can't remember but water level was way down. Well person stated to leave alone for 3 days. Came back 3 days later and checked depth of water again. Now up to "normal" level.

Nothing was repaired or fixed. And all has worked fine now after many years.

Mystery.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:52 AM   #14
bruinsfan

Our home sat empty for years on the market before we purchased it. The water had a very slight smell/stink to it at times.

Water tests were done and all was "normal".

The well company did a "shock chlorination" of the well.

For two days, the water was brown. We ran the garden hose outside to flush out the system. After the second day, the waster was crystal clear and the smell was gone. That was several years ago.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #15
TheTimeTraveler

I was just wondering; with the severe current drought we are experiencing has anyone had their well go dry ?

If so, my guess for the only solution to that would be a much deeper well.....

TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #16
upthesaukee

I saw a post on another social media site and the poster, whose well has run dry, was inquiring if the fire department would come out and fill up the well. First, not sure if I would want to drink water out of a FD tanker, and secondly, not sure how to get the water past the backflow on the pump.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #17
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I saw a post on another social media site and the poster, whose well has run dry, was inquiring if the fire department would come out and fill up the well. First, not sure if I would want to drink water out of a FD tanker, and secondly, not sure how to get the water past the backflow on the pump.
FD's use foaming agents in their tanks, it would be interesting to see what it looks like flowing into the toilet, lol
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #18
Flylady

Default Dry Wells

I saw an elderly gentleman the other day who had his truck backed up to the lake and was pumping water into as many large storage containers that his pick up would hold. I inquired as to his actions, and he told me that his well was dry and he was putting the lake water into his well. He mentioned that bottled water was used to drink and cook with. I felt sorry for the man, as I saw him return the next day and repeat the process.

I wonder what the short and long term effects of this practice will be. What plans are in place to assist people that have lost their water due to the drought?
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flylady For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (09-24-2016), SteveO123 (09-19-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #19
Dave M

Default No issues with mine

I have a well 500' that services two houses. I get 40 gpm .Haven't done much to it in the 40 years its been installed. We got the next size pump to make it work easier. Every spring I put 8-10 gallons of bleach in the well and run it until its gets to the house. Let it sit for a day or two and run to clean out. Use the pool test strip to verify.
In late fall I drain the whole house. In late fall just get water from the lake. In the winter just drill a hole in the ice or bring water. I just fill up the tank behind the toilet and it flushes like normal holding the lever down to get all the water.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:42 AM   #20
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

You're kidding up right? Many years ago during a similar drought a friend's neighbor had a pool water co deliver 6000 gallons to his dug well. Really? 2 days later he had no water. Well did you think it was going to stay in your well only?
upthesaukee (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #21
upthesaukee

SS, nope...serious. I was nice and left it alone 😊

Old 09-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #22
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
You're kidding up right? Many years ago during a similar drought a friend's neighbor had a pool water co deliver 6000 gallons to his dug well. Really? 2 days later he had no water. Well did you think it was going to stay in your well only?
Well water is essentially clean and pretty much sterile, pool water, not so much, why put that in your well?
Old 09-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #23
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Well water is essentially clean and pretty much sterile, pool water, not so much, why put that in your well?
Thats not the point. Your well will not hold the water, just help the rest of the neighborhood a fraction.
Actually, the pool water I received this year was certainly as sterile as Manchester's drinking water because thats where it came from. Didn't even need to add chlorine for a week as it was already chlorinated.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #24
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Thats not the point. Your well will not hold the water, just help the rest of the neighborhood a fraction.
Actually, the pool water I received this year was certainly as sterile as Manchester's drinking water because thats where it came from. Didn't even need to add chlorine for a week as it was already chlorinated.
It would be the first thing I thought of, as you obviously did, but you are right, putting water back into your well and expecting it to fill up and stay there like a tank is not realistic.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:14 AM   #25
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
What plans are in place to assist people that have lost their water due to the drought?
Private wells are the sole responsibility of the property owner. If you have (pay for) water from the city/town and their water stops flowing that is a different issue all together.

I know that at least with the towns septic service, you are responsible for any issues that arise from the town owned septic pipes to your home. So if the pipe bursts 50 feet onto your property, you are responsible. I would imagine water is the same. There is insurance available to cover such an issue but I am not sure it is worth the money. I have never been in a situation where I needed to research it.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Flylady (09-29-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #26
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
It would be the first thing I thought of, as you obviously did, but you are right, putting water back into your well and expecting it to fill up and stay there like a tank is not realistic.
No to mention that it is VERY risky to be putting water from another source down an existing well. I would suspect the possibility of contaminating the well (or worse, the neighborhood aquifer) would be high. This is the reason why most ground source heat pump systems are required to have closed loop returns.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #27
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
.... This is the reason why most ground source heat pump systems are required to have closed loop returns.
Especially in the northeast, where groundwater is plentiful and of high quality, it is quite common to use the standing column well (SCW) design for a GSHP, a specialized form of open loop. Water from the pump located down deep in the well passes through the heat exchanger of the heat pump and is returned to the well near the top, but below water level. This design is quite safe and works well. There is no risk of well contamination, since the water being returned is the same water as already is in the well. I heat my house this way.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote