Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
overeasy

Default Another summer tourist with lots of questions - Wolfeboro ramps?

My wife spent her childhood summers at her grandparents' house in Wolfeboro, and now that we have kids of our own (infant and 2y.o.) we'll be staying a week this summer. We'll be bringing our 16' Aluminum fish-and-ski boat with us for some fishing and just general puttering around. I've never been on the lake or in the town, and she was last there in the 90's.

Looking at the ramp options, the Back Bay Boat Landing is the closest, but doesn't look like it has any car-and-trailer parking. But according to Google it's a 10 minute walk from our rental cottage so can I tie up there, leave the wife and kids on the boat, drive the tow rig back to the cottage then walk back to the ramp? (on the rail trail) Or bike? (is there somewhere I can lock up a crappy bike?)

Or should I be driving a few miles outside of town and using a different ramp where I can leave the tow rig sit there all day?

The boat should easily fit under the low bridge if I lower the bimini top.

And if anyone is willing to give up an okay fishing spot, I'd appreciate it! I don't even care what kind of fish. I'd just like to show the 2 year old that dad can catch fish! (Private Message me if it needs to stay secret!)

Anything else I need to know? I own the boat. I'll have insurance on it. It's registered in PA. Will I need to prove I've taken the safe boater course? Do I need any launch permits or NH stickers? (I'll get NH visitor fishing license!)

Thank you
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Welcome to the forum overeasy. You should have proof of your out of state boating certificate:
https://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire/boating_law.html

Get a Bizer lake chart and stick to close in waters with the kids and a small boat. Have fun!
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
overeasy (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Prestige Worldwide

Hello Overeasy,

New Hampshire has a mandatory boating education law. Everyone 16 years of age and older who operates a motorboat over 25 horsepower on New Hampshire waters must have a boating education certificate.

New Hampshire accepts the following boating education certificates:

A boating certificate issued by another State agency and NASBLA approved.
A boating certificate issued by the US Power Squadron.
A boating certificate issued by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary.
An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the US Coast Guard.
An unexpired commercial boating license issued by the State of New Hampshire.

You can get a 7 day fresh water fishing permit and fishing tips at Hole in the wall, 45 N. Main St Wolfeboro. These guys will know where the fish are. Lake level and water temperature will be important factors to consider when providing good fishing advice.
Prestige Worldwide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prestige Worldwide For This Useful Post:
overeasy (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
overeasy

I planned on getting the printed Bizer chart, only because the one for the Lowrance costs more than my Lowrance. I'll dig up my boat course certificate. It was through the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Thank you for the quick replies. I'm very much looking forward to this trip!
Old 03-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
kawishiwi

Default Worms, hook, bobber, rocks

The lake is lousy with rock bass. 5" to 9" long and will hit anything. Rocks or docks in 5 to 10 ft of water is the spot.
I find a lot around boulders. Keep all you want!
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kawishiwi For This Useful Post:
overeasy (03-27-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. No need to respond to each post. We like small mouth,large mouth, but not Rock Bass, hence the above post to take all you want on Rock Bass. Don't catch and release is the Rock Bass theme, although it is not specific in law as far as I know. Check the booklet wherever you get your (non-resident?) license. Check out the fishing threads here, too.
Of course, if you just fish with the kids and throw it all back...

Sounds like Back Bay will be a great place for you for the week.

The understanding here is that, when you ask a question, at the end of your vacation, we expect a report. Otherwise we keep voicing opinions that are of no use to new posters.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
overeasy (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 05:52 AM   #7
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by overeasy View Post
Looking at the ramp options, the Back Bay Boat Landing is the closest, but doesn't look like it has any car-and-trailer parking.
There is dedicated trailer parking for the Back Bay ramp, although it usually fills early on the weekends.
After you launch your boat and drive up the ramp, immediately turn left on Railroad Avenue. Drive past the condominiums on your left and bear left toward the town park where the road meets Glendon Street. As you enter the park keep to the right to locate the row of trailer parking spots. They're marked with a sign reading "Trailer Parking Only". The distance from the ramp to the trailer parking is 850 feet.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DBreskin For This Useful Post:
overeasy (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
There is dedicated trailer parking for the Back Bay ramp, although it usually fills early on the weekends.
After you launch your boat and drive up the ramp, immediately turn left on Railroad Avenue. Drive past the condominiums on your left and bear left toward the town park where the road meets Glendon Street. As you enter the park keep to the right to locate the row of trailer parking spots. They're marked with a sign reading "Trailer Parking Only". The distance from the ramp to the trailer parking is 850 feet.
Just make sure you park in a designated spot, last time I was there several folks parked along the edge of the road or edge of the lot and got tickets for doing so.

You can also consider taking a little ride up 109 to Libby museum and launch there, behind the museum is a small dirt lot. If everyone parks nice in there it will hold probably 10 vehicles w/trailers. Do NOT park along the road there an unruly resident that lives just up from the lot entrance and calls 5.0 if anyone parks there. Either place is an option but both lots fill up quick so get in early or you'll be left with nowhere to park.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
overeasy (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
overeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
I see them on Google Maps, thanks to your description. The shadow of the trees obscures them. But really, from that lot I'm another 900 feet to the cottage. If the lot is full I'll just put it back at the rental.

Expect a report in early August!
Old 03-29-2017, 04:37 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Where are you renting, overeasy? Piping Rock or a private cottage?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #11
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Where are you renting, overeasy? Piping Rock or a private cottage?
I believe Piping Rock is on Winter Harbor. He is renting close to the back bay ramp.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #12
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
I believe Piping Rock is on Winter Harbor. He is renting close to the back bay ramp.
Oh, sorry. I thought they switched gears and were talking about the Libby Ramp.
Thank you, K.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #13
noreast

The 1st spot my kids ever caught small mouth bass was right there in the eastern most coves of Wolfeboro, It's usually calm waters with out a lot of boat traffic. They were huge and fun for the little ones, They've been "hooked" ever since. You all will love it.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
KPW (03-29-2017), overeasy (03-29-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
overeasy

Default Follow-up

We had a great time on the lake. The public ramp across from the old train station in Wolfeboro was great - not super steep for the tow vehicle, but much steeper underwater. The trailer just fell away from the boat! Plenty of parking nearby, even with seemingly abandoned trailers occupying some of the trailer-only spots.

The Bizer chart was very useful in figuring out if I can navigate between two islands or not. (Most of the time not!)

The little coves south of Wolfeboro proved good fishing. Nephews each caught their first fish! A rock bass and a sunfish.

Everyone was so friendly and motorists actually stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk.

Will definitely be back!
Old 08-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #15
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by overeasy View Post
We had a great time on the lake. The public ramp across from the old train station in Wolfeboro was great - not super steep for the tow vehicle, but much steeper underwater. The trailer just fell away from the boat! Plenty of parking nearby, even with seemingly abandoned trailers occupying some of the trailer-only spots.

The Bizer chart was very useful in figuring out if I can navigate between two islands or not. (Most of the time not!)

The little coves south of Wolfeboro proved good fishing. Nephews each caught their first fish! A rock bass and a sunfish.

Everyone was so friendly and motorists actually stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk.

Will definitely be back!
Glad you enjoyed your stay!
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for he report. Glad it was a fun and successful trip.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote