Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
LibertySnake

Default Cog Railway

Had a few questions for the knowledgeable New Hampshire(ites) patrolling the forum. I grew up in NH for 20+ years and I have yet to brave the Cog Railway and/or venture to the top of Mt. Washington in that time. I plan on going during my Lake Winnipesaukee summer vacation the 1st week in August.

1. What should I expect for weather? I am going the first week in August. Jacket? Sweater? Layers? Maybe I should check the Mt. Washington Observatory history...

2. Heights. Any fellow Acrophobia sufferers that have braved the rails? My wife unfortunately read the articles in Wikipedia about the 8 deaths and 72 injuries that occurred back in ‘67 and has vehemently protested her dislike of the whole idea... I know there have been fabulous advances in technology since then so I am not worried so much about that, but with wooden bridges and 37% grade, my Acrophobia is sure to be heightened (no pun intended). Is it that bad?
Old 07-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
The Worm

Default Mt Washington Cog Railroad

The Cog Railroad is a unique and fun experience, however it is very expensive and advancements in technology and the Cog RR have very little to do with each other. You will need layers and an outer shell, temp differences can be 40-50 degrees lower on the summit compared to the base station. You will not have a significant amount of time to explore the summit. The other choices for an ascent include a van ride up the Auto Road, cheaper than the Cog and again not a lot of time at the summit, your own vehicle up the Auto Road (somewhat harrowing, narrow winding road - not paved much of the way) or a hike up one of the many trails.
The Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Smitty1

Hi

I hiked Mt. Washington this week. It was an amazing experience. The weather changes up there are unbelievable.

Check out this site:

http://www.mountwashington.org/

Hvae fun, whichever way you decide.

Smitty1
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
CanisLupusArctos

Default Changes in Policy

The accident on the Cog back in the 60s was caused by poor policy. A train derailed while passing over a switch, and no one was at the brakes to stop the resulting runaway car. Ever since then, they have had the switchman outside the train watching as the train passes, and at the same time the brakeman is at the brake wheel and ready.

Last year I was surprised to see they are now using motorized switches. Right up until recently they'd been using a multi-piece, manual switch setup.

Their safety record is great compared to the safety record of any given highway in the country.

As for weather, it's most often cool and damp on the summit in summertime. If you have some leeway in when you can go, watch the weather reports (or ask a meteorologist) to find out when high pressure (big blue H) will be parked over New England. That weather scenario is one of the few that results in clear, calm conditions on the summit. If it's Canadian high pressure (air mass originating in the arctic) it'll be incredibly dry with no humidity and you'll get treated to the 90-mile visibility that most visitors only see pictures of.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Liberty, We have friends coming from Fl. for that week and they want to go on the Cog Railway too. I have never been and didn't plan to go this time, like your wife. it doesn't excite me much. I think I will stay home and babysit the dogs. Maybe they and my better half will see you there!
Worm said it is expensive, do you know how much it is? I don't want to drive all the way up there and have them decide they don't want to spend that much. Also how long does it take. We tried to find a brochure but didn't.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
The Worm

Default Cog RR

Tickets are $59.00 per adult, final sale - no exchange or refund.

More Info Here:

www.thecog.com

-Worm
The Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
pmj

I have been up to the top of Mt Washington several times..hiked a few times up and drove a few times up. My family drove up this last week..it is a nail biter of a ride and I do have a problem with heights so I look at the hillside vegetation away from the sudden drop offs and I survived. The temps up there on Tuesday were in the 50's. As reported in the other posts, jackets (polar fleece) or wind breakers come in real handy as the weather changes so quickly. Don't go without trying the chili.

Here's a picture taken from our car during the ride up the auto road.
Attached Images

pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
jeffk

Thumbs up Heights weren't a problem for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySnake
2. Heights. Any fellow Acrophobia sufferers that have braved the rails? ...
... but with wooden bridges and 37% grade, my Acrophobia is sure to be heightened (no pun intended). Is it that bad?
I don't like heights much, get me above 8 feet up on a ladder and I get the shakes. However, the Cog caused me no problems. While you are going up a steep hill and there are some bridges there are no (that I was aware of) areas where you are actually off the ground that much. The ground is just very steep. The view from the mountains on the way up and down is beautiful, if the weather cooperates. If it's cloudy the trip may not be worth it. That's the real gotcha. It's hard to get tickets at the last minute because the Cog is so popular but if you buy tickets in advance you might get lousy weather. We went in the spring, shortly after it opened for the season, so it was cold at the top but we got tickets at the last minute when we could be sure the weather was good.

We were on vacation a few years ago and went on the only other Cog railway in the United States, Pikes Peak. The same was true out there, the train is never high off the ground. However, while Mt Washington is a little over 6000 ft high, Pikes Peak reaches 14000 ft. I had minor altitude sickness (headache, nausea) after being on the peak for about 20 minutes. I was really glad to be going back down. You don't have that problem on Mt. Washington.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #9
Lakegeezer

Default Great experience

You used to be able to get cog tickets a bit cheaper if you take the first ride of the day - maybe still? When we went, it was very foggy at the top with 50 MPH winds. It was a blast going on the roof of the observatory and playing with the wind. We stayed at the top for several hours. You don't have to take the next train down, but can wait as long as you want. We hiked down the Tuckerman's Ravine trail a bit and waited for the weather to clear. It didn't - so down we went. Then, Murphy's law applied. About half-way down, the weather cleared and the view was beautiful. Yes, it is expensive, but driving your car puts 10,000 miles of wear on it and hiking puts 10 years of wear on your knees. We've considered getting a rental car to drive up the auto-road, but haven't done that yet. Pick your day carefully - but don't miss the experience if you get the chance.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:32 AM   #10
kjbathe

Thumbs up Do it

We took a ride on the Cog a number of years ago and it was well worth the price -- an experience unlike many others. And while you will do well to look for Canadian Highs, the weather on Mount Washington is unpredictable on any day. We arrived for the first train of the day in a foggy, soupy mess at the base that had us questioning the trip. About a third of the way up the weather broke and it was beautiful. I'm not a fan of heights and was queasy at the rim of the Grand Canyon, but didn't have any trouble on the Cog or summit. Bring layers including a hat or hood -- 40s in August with a wind on the summit feel MUCH different than 40s in March or April in the foothills.

Please let us know how it went after your trip!
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #11
fatlazyless

On the other hand for a lot less than $59., you can hike up and stay overnight in the refugee room underneath Lakes in the Clouds Hut. It's either free or ten dollars if you have it.

The shortest hikng trail to the summit is the Ammonoosic Ravine trail and that starts right next to the Cog's base area gift shop & museum. It's a fast three hour hike which easily makes it the quickest and easiest way up the big mountain. Coming back down, one can always hitchhike a ride down along the auto road. Someone from New Jersey or somewhere will pick you up and say, 'did you actually hike up here carrying that pack on your back, no thanks?', and you'll get to ride down the eight miles to the bottom on the other side.

For a super steep, gruelingly straight-down trail, once I made the big mistake of coming down the nearby Sphinx trail. Why is it called the Sphinx trail? Because, by the time you get down, you feel like you have been dead for 3000 years!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-18-2007 at 04:32 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #12
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Coming back down, one can always hitchhike a ride down along the auto road. Someone from New Jersey or somewhere will pick you up and say, 'did you actually hike up here carrying that pack on your back, no thanks?', and you'll get to ride down the eight miles to the bottom on the other side.
If you go up the Ammonusic trail and come down the auto-road on the other side, you have a 40 mile trek to get back to the Cog base station where the Ammonusic Ravine trail starts. That trail is nice, but not everyone will find it as easy as FLL makes it sound. It is especially a bear going down, but the Lake of the Clouds is a beautiful place and a good stopping point if the weather is turning sour.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #13
pmj

The Jewel Trail was the last trail I hiked, last summer. This is supposed to be the "gentlest trail" to the top. You also get that at the Cog rail station. If I can do it anyone can do it but there is a ridge over looking the Great Gulf (?)ravine that is not for the faint of heart.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
CanisLupusArctos

Default Don't Walk the Auto Road unless you have to

One of my favorite routes is going up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail and down the Jewell. Ammonoosuc is quite steep for a time, but if you take it slow and allow plenty of extra time, you'll enjoy it, and it gets you to Lakes Of the Clouds Hut which is a good lunch stop before you make the push to the summit. The Summit from Lakes of the Clouds does not have much elevation gain, which is nice. Descending via the Jewell Trail is nice because it's gentle at about the same time of day when you really need a break. It also gives really nice views of the other side where you hiked up, a sense of accomplishment.

The Auto Road seems like an easy option for walking but it will keep you taking the same kind of steps, using the same muscles, all the way down.... I've done it and several hiker friends of mine have done it - ONCE and never again. Trails are a bit easier on your legs because they work different muscle groups. One minute you're sliding past a boulder, the next minute you're tip-toeing over a muddy section... it changes. Walking the Auto Road (down) was "clop, clop, clop, clop, clop, clop, clop..." for 2 hours.

If you hike Mount Washington, DON'T wear cotton. Believe it or not, "hypothermia weather" is actually +30 to +50 F, and damp... exactly what you'll probably find in the Whites in summer. Most of the time when people get hypothermia in the Whites in summer it's because they were wearing the same cotton clothing they'd wear around town in the fall. Cotton holds moisture close to your skin where it chills you. Get the wool, the Poly-pro, etc. because they wick moisture away from you and they dry quickly, and bring layers you can add as you go up. Also bring high-protien, high-calorie foods and 2 quarts of water per person.

The AMC has a list of hike preparedness on www.outdoors.org. You can also call the US Forest Service in Conway and their info desk will help you.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Thanks Worm for the price and Jeff for the tip that you do need reservations or might not be able to go.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #16
cowislander

Default Think twice before you take little kids

I took the cog about 15 years ago with my son when he was 3. It was a mistake. It takes many hours to make the round trip.....he got very bored and unruly. It is however a real novelty, much like going back a hundred years. Plan to take all day.
cowislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #17
nj2nh

Default Don't do it!!!!

My children and I call the Cog Railroad the dirty, old, smelly train. Depending on the way the wind is blowing (and it is always blowing) the smoke blows back into the train cars. The ride takes forever. You get no time at the top. And the cost is ridiculous. I have done it and will never do it again - no matter how much my kids beg (which they never have).

We have taken the vans up. The price is good. The views are great. You get lots of information along the way. Only a 1/2 hour at the top.

My boys and I drive up now every August. We look out the window at our house on the lake. If we can see the mountains to the north, we go. I drive. Me, who learned to drive in Massachusetts. I drive an SUV and have no trouble (as long as no one is stuck on the side of the road which has happened to us). Yes, part of the road is not paved. No problem. You get a CD to listen to up and back. The cost is cheap. You can stop and check out the view in the many turn-outs along the way. You can spend as much time at the top as you want.

We wouldn't do it any other way now. If my husband comes, though, well, then he would drive and that would stink.

You will need a jacket as it can get very cold. It was 40 degrees when we went last summer. We could see 80 miles.

Jersey Girl
Old 07-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #18
SIKSUKR

I posted the link to the Cog below.I thought you could stay as long as you wanted and take a train later but the website makes it sound like you have 20 minutes on the summit only.I guess I can understand if everyone wanted to stay later,there wouldn't be enough room for all.
As Jersey girl pointed out,if the wind is not in your favor,you could be sucking black smoke for a while.That's one of the drawbacks of this unique experience.The website though does say that a new bio-deisel fuel is being used on train #9.As far as heights go,the Jacobs ladder section rises as much as 25 ft above the ground.

http://www.thecog.com/
Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #19
TomC

Default 20 minutes for a guaranteed seat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
I posted the link to the Cog below.I thought you could stay as long as you wanted and take a train later but the website makes it sound like you have 20 minutes on the summit only.I guess I can understand if everyone wanted to stay later,there wouldn't be enough room for all.
you can stay longer, but there is no guarantee of a seat for the trip down. They also take climbers back down, too, so you take your chances if you don't go back on the same train as your ascent.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #20
WINDinmySOCKIES

I guess its all a matter of opinion, but I have to agree with Jerseygirl...overpriced and dirty! I consider myself outdoorsy and all, but it was very expensive and only what seemed like 15-20 minutes at the top. A young child on the train cried when soot burned her arm, and we got quite a bit in our eyes. (GEEZ..I feel like a whiner) We much prefer the auto road or a hike. I am usually not a complainer about anything. Glad to say I tried it once, but won't do it again, and way overpriced. Always go prepared for weather at the top, 3 weeks ago took auto road up ot was 36 at the summit!! Made the chili taste even better.....have the kids mail Grandmom a post card from the postoffice at the summit!
WINDinmySOCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #21
GrandmaBig6

Thumbs up Driving a Must

My husband, the dog and I drove the Auto Road a few years ago. I drove and my husband said more than once that he would like me to move over a little to the left as he was saying i was a bit too close to the end of the road and he was looking straight down. I must say that along most of the road on the way up it does not have railings and it does get a little squishy when there is a car coming in the opposite direction and you are passing each other. But it was something I really thought I couldn't do, but I did it, both ways. (It really isn't much of a choice, especailly when your husband doesn't drive.)

I must say the dog really enjoy the trip. Since you can't go very fast up the road the window was down and her nose was out the whole time, sniffing away. Nothing like breathing fresh air. We reached the top and stayed about two hours.

I say drive the Road and enjoy.

Mary
GrandmaBig6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #22
DRH

Default Auto Road Photos

Quilt Lady and I drove up the Mount Washington auto road a couple years ago. I took a series of photos along the road (from the pull-off areas ... not while driving!), as well as from the top at the visitors' center and the weather observatory.

Anyone interested can view the photos by clicking HERE.

There are 37 photos in all (3 pages).