Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
dickiej

Default Places on lake to anchor

Greetings all!
We spent summers in Peggy's cove in Alton bay for years and had to sell our place. The last few years, we've been trailering our 17' trophy up to the lake and we like to find protected, calm places to throw the anchor out, read in the sun, swim, and just relax. We are lucky enough to be able to come up on weekdays and avoid the weekend rush. Any suggestions on where to put in and where we can relax in calm waters? We've been putting in in Alton and going over towards wolfeboro and getting on the lee side of some islands part way between the two towns. Thanks!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
NH_boater

Do what most boaters do. Look at a chart (like Bizers) and go to the 'no rafting zones'. They offer the best sandbars and shallows for swimming and enjoying time with your family.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
AmantiDelLago

Default Launch

There are two ramps at the end of Alton Bay. The state ramp has some parking for cars and trailers. Alton has some other hidden ramps but those don't have any place to park at.
AmantiDelLago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
CC185

Default Try the Northern part of the Lake

Alton is a great place to be but over the years I have found the northern part of Winni calm and endless places to discover. About 30 minutes trailer drive, head to Center Harbor or Moultonborough area. Center Harbor has a great easy to use public ramp with trailer parking, food and gas nearby. When launching in Center Harbor you are north of the Broads and plenty of quiet places to sit back and enjoy. During the week (and weekends too!) Braurn Bay is favorite place to be, warm water, great sandbar, nice people. Also you can discover all the islands and Moultonborough Bay via Long Island bridge. I too recommend getting the best Lake Winni Map, Bizers map. Take your time and explorer this side of the lake, we have found plenty of small coves and places to put the hook out and read. I have friends that like to fish this area, I'm not a fisherman but they really seen to enjoy. Get the map and explore the "northern side".
Dave R (02-09-2014), manchester bill (02-15-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC185 View Post
Get the map and explore the "northern side".
Could not agree more. There are countless places to drop a hook and hang out up there.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Showem

Center Harbor? I'll have to make a note of that. We were going over to Paugus Bay to drop anchor
Showem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Pineedles

Between the shore and 1/2 mile island is very peaceful in Center Harbor.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
fltsimguy

Johnson Cove on the southwest side of Winter Harbor, about halfway down the bay. It's 15-20' deep so no issues hitting stuff, and plenty deep for jumping off the boat! It's always been calm for me there due to the shore sheltering the wind.

I'm in agreement with others though that far the best though is in the northern parts of the Lake, especially the northern coast right before you get to Green's Basin.
fltsimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
bigdog

Shhhhhssssh Johnson Cove is one of my favorite places to drop my anchor, and never very populated ! Winter Harbor is also great and big enough for tubing or sking, and out of the rough water of the Broads.

Chesnut Cove can be nice, near the entrance of Alton Bay. Great West view of the Broads. Never busy there.

Around Barndoor Is, near Wolfeboro harbor is nice to anchor, and has places to snorkle. Watch the rocks !

Last, one of my favorites spots to anchor is on the south side of Birch and Steamboat islands, facing Jolly Is. Watch out though for rocks close to shore, they're the size of Volkswagons !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
Chaos (02-13-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
Phantom

I continue to shake my head when these threads inevitably pop up... and everyone starts singing about their favorite hideaway ....

Followed shortly by a thread of how my secret spot/ sandbar/ anchoring location is now over run with idiots !

Chaos (02-13-2014), Electric man (03-15-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
dickiej

I know....I know.....I thought it might be a dumb question.....who wants to give away their secret places? I promise I won't tell anyone!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
dickiej

Also, I guarantee I am not an idiot!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
jrc

Don't go here it a horrible place to raft, that's why they just made it illegal.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16796

Honestly weekdays you can have your pick. If you like shallow sandy spots, you can't beat Braun Bay or the sandbar in front of West Alton Marina.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #14
Winopt

Smile Favorite Spots

The busier the lake gets, the further you should go to explore. Green's Basin is quiet, but good for skiing, Blanchard Island is a preserve with great swimming and jumping off the rocks if you dare, the back side of Poplar/Joe's is protected and you get to see the eagle's, navigate around Whortleberry and snorkel for fun, the inside of 5 mile and the inside of Blueberry are a treat especially during the less busy week. But, the best part about our fabulous lake is using your chart and finding a new spot to anchor.
Winopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:17 AM   #15
Greene's Basin Girl

In the summer Greens Basin can be busy. The basin is often full of skiers. I am amazed that some of the boats don't hit one another.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #16
tmm366

I used to do lot of anchoring. One of my favorite spots is patrician shores just north of Leavitt park in Meredith. Like most sandy areas it gets crowded on the weekends but during the week it's great.
tmm366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

There is so much lake to enjoy, you should really venture out.... Ramps are available in Moultonborough, Center Harbor, and Tuftonboro on the NorthWest side of the lake.... Although some are harder on the trailer parking then others... Once on the North end of the lake, there are plenty of place to anchor and relax... over around Pistol, Devens, and then heading back up in towards Greens Basin etc.

Its a big lake, and during the week the possibilities are endless
Old 02-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #18
Chaos

Default As a mostly southern lake guy

I think you might like the northern parts better
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #19
Rich

It must be getting busy out there in some of the more favorite coves and sand bars.

This past year I noticed, more than a few times, a few boats coming into Smith Cove to anchor and hang out, put the grill on the back of the boat, and have the kids swim or float in a tube behind the boat, not far from our dock.

Not that it's an ugly place to be (it IS very nice and fairly quiet, and the entire area is a NWZ), but I can't imagine coming INTO Smith Cove (next to Fay's) to hang out for the day!