Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Colt

Default Lakes Region Inspiration!

Any one know Judy Brenner? I saw the story below on MSNBC and the Boston Globe. Good for her...must be the clean living the Lakes Region offers.

WOLFEBORO, N.H. -- A shoplifter would have to run pretty far to get away from a 70-year-old state liquor store clerk in Wolfeboro, N.H.

A week after running the Boston Marathon, clerk Judy Brenner of Brookfield thought a customer was trying to lift some liquor. Brenner went after him, discovered he had a half-gallon of whiskey under his jacket and helped detain him until police arrived.

Brenner sprinted 100 feet to catch up with the teen on Thursday, then grabbed the bottle while others who joined in the chase grabbed the suspect, Curtis Smith, 18.

She said she has no problem running fast. Brenner said she ran 14 marathons decades ago, and finished the Boston Marathon this month in just over five hours.
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
mg2107

She is very fortunate that it ended as well as it did without her being injured or worse.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Coolbreeze

I commend her for her bravery. I personally don't think a bottle of Whiskey is worth her getting hurt, especially with video cameras capturing everthing in the store. I tip my hat to her, but suggest letting it go next time; your life is worth more than a bottle of booze or even cash. Keep running except chase after the finish line!!
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

She could have taken the easy way out,but stood up for what was right.The police can'r be everywhere at once and it's nice to see an average citizen confront crooks who count on passivity. I'll bet she feels pretty good about herself.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
DougNH

I completely agree with SAMIAM.

Also imagine the kid(s) driving around after consuming the whiskey...
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
Jersey Bob

Default Getting caught

On the humorous side. Imagine him trying to explain how he couldn't outrun a 70 year old woman to his fellow inmates!
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Hey,look at it this way.Instead of saying she should not chase these guys for a bottle of whiskey,she might have just saved some family from a DWI related death!She just might be a unsung hero.We'll never know.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
Pineedles

Default The Judy Brenner Award

This lady is 70 years old, right? She was born in 1937. While she didn't experience the depression she was probably in a family who's father or mother were serving their country during WWII. She was probably used to sacrifice, and had been brought up with good moral structure. I know what motivated her to go after these teenage thugs. She saw something that was wrong, and she knew that she had the power and obligation to stop it! Right or wrong, and I happen to think that when the situation presents itself we don't stop to consider the danger we could put ourself in, she just acted as her heart told her. Considering her upbringing (and I am only assuming), there was only one course she could take.

Once a year, let's look at similar situations and vote on the most selfless act that we see occurring, and award a Judy Brenner award. Great Job Judy!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
Weirs guy

Default And...

we vote for the individual who has had the most embarrassing moment of the year, and present them the "Curtis Smith Award for Ignorance". Great job Judy, I hope you got a kick or two in while you were at it!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #10
Coolbreeze

I understand all the posts saying she did what she thought was right, and she should be applauded for her act of temporary insanity-whoops-I mean bravery. Well, I am glad that this guy didn't turn around and beat the living **** out of this woman. If I had a mother like that, I would have a little sit down talk with her. I would calmly remind her that her life is more important and valued than any material thing, regardless of its monetary or sentimental value or if it was Jonny Walker or Jim Beam. The life lesson to be learned here is that people cannot be relaced, material things can; choose your battles carefully. Just my thoughts.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:17 AM   #11
Pineedles

Default Life is precious

CoolBreeze, you are absolutely right; material things can be replaced and life is far more valuable. However, I believe her motivation was also the fact that this young thug could have harmed others if after consuming the alcohol got into an accident while driving.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #12
WINDinmySOCKIES

I say way to go. She acted. Maybe it WAS just a bottle of booze but we forget how many lives alcohol takes... Not only that, she didn't think, she just acted. How many of us just stand by and wait for someone else to make a difference (me included) when WE can make the difference? That kid didn't get drunk that day, and he will certainly learn the seriousness associated with stealing. Maybe it'll straighten his act out. Maybe not. Never know.
One person can make a difference though.
WINDinmySOCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Colt

Default marathon at 70!!

Selfless act or uneccessary risk? This could be debated for a long time.
The fact that she ran the Boston marathon at 70 is impressive and inspirational...period.
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
mg2107

Her act would have been appropriate even laudable 20 or 30 years ago when the world was different and eighteen year olds were still had some respect for age and authority. Now most of them in that youths situation have a buzz going of some sort and would just as soon kill ya or at the least beat the hell out of you.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote