Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2019, 05:44 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default New Jet Ski Advice

Given the feedback on my other thread, I've decided if I'm going to buy, I'll buy new and 4-stroke.

So, your thoughts on:

1. Brand. I'm leaning towards Yamaha or Sea-Doo, because that's what DaSilva's sells--just down the street--and I like close service.

2. My use: probably most often I will take it out when it's just me, or me and a kiddo, and don't want to take the boat OR to follow my wife on the boat.

3. Leaning towards a "touring" machine as speed/sports/towing is less important than comfort/storage/anchoring out.

4. I like the Sea-Doo GTX155--nice longer platform on the back, good storage, cool system for accessories--but I can't figure out the Yamaha equivalent.

5. General thoughts on when/where to buy?

Thanks for anything you've got for me!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
Dave R

I rode a Sea Doo 300HP machine (not sure what model) quite a few times this season. The power is awesome and I'd buy one of those if I were in the market. I was also very impressed with the brakes and the control around the dock, it is a great machine. Assuming the 155 has the same brakes and low speed control, I'd have to recommend Sea Doo, but I have not ridden a newer Yamaha, only old ones, so maybe they are just as good.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

After having maintenance issues with Seadoo, we went with Yamaha and bought from Dasilva.
What convinced me was seeing all of the hotel and rental companies in Florida using them exclusively. They get dragged on the beach, grounded, and pretty much abused by novice riders on vacation but they keep on running.
It's our third year with Yamaha and happy with Dasilva's service and no issues.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
After having maintenance issues with Seadoo, we went with Yamaha and bought from Dasilva.
What convinced me was seeing all of the hotel and rental companies in Florida using them exclusively. They get dragged on the beach, grounded, and pretty much abused by novice riders on vacation but they keep on running.
It's our third year with Yamaha and happy with Dasilva's service and no issues.
Thanks, Sam. I've heard about Yamaha reliability, but I like some Sea-Doo design aspects--I've heard, for example, good things about their drive/brake system and I like the seemingly (I've not measured) longer swim platform.

It looks like Yamaha's VX Cruise is their "touring"/closest machine to the GTX155?

Old 10-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

I have a Sea Doo GTI and a GTX. I'm not a big guy so I prefer the GTI because it's a little easier to maneuver. The GTX takes the waves better but it feels heavier and wears me out quicker. If I had to pick the perfect machine I would go with the GTI155se, IMO. It's a good all around machine with little maintenance and it will still get up and go.
I guess it depends on the kind of riding you're going to do. The GTX does have more cargo space that is helpful if you're going to be out on the water all day traveling and it will take rough water a little better. The GTI is more sporty and ideal for quick jaunts around the bay.

Last edited by Biggd; 10-20-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2019, 12:01 AM   #6
trfour

Thumbs up Keep it Sea-Doo

For watercraft & snowmobiles, stay with the best.

PUSHING INNOVATION SINCE 1942
Ever since J. A. Bombardier founded the company in 1942, our name has been synonymous with quality and creativity. His pioneering spirit is a legacy that keeps us growing and exploring new frontiers. Today, in the Americas, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, over 6,500 people are keeping that spirit alive in all of our recreational vehicles and engines.
At BRP, innovation and passion are at the heart of our commitment, our products, and our brands. Whether it be our Sea-Doo watercraft, our Ski-Doo and Lynx snowmobiles, our Rotax engines, our Can-Am ATVs, side-by-side vehicles and Spyder roadsters, or our Evinrude outboard engines, these values come alive through technology and design, inspired by a single and common compelling mission: to deliver the ultimate powersports experience to our customers.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 AM   #7
thinkxingu

My sense of things is that Sea-Doo innovates while Yamaha perfects. Most Sea-Doo people I've heard from have comments on reliability.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:14 AM   #8
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
My sense of things is that Sea-Doo innovates while Yamaha perfects. Most Sea-Doo people I've heard from have comments on reliability.

I've had no issues with my Sea Doo's and I have nothing against Yamaha. You should really ride both and see which one you prefer.
I do like the new brake/reverse system on the Sea Doo though. I'm not sure how Yamaha handles it.
As a first time owner though I would stay away from any model with a supercharger. Those tend to have more maintenance and problems.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:31 AM   #9
tbonies

Dasilva is great and based on your location is who you should use.

Brand is largely a personal preference so look at the models/features/prices and make your call. There is no real difference in reliability between Yamaha and SeaDoos. We have had two Seadoos for 15 years that are well maintained and kept with little to no issues.
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Talk to the sales people at both Dasilva and HK Powersports. See what they are getting for feedback from customers.

I know HK Powersports usually has a new machine in the water for demo rides and will put whatever you would like in the water for a test ride.

Without naming the brand (and starting a war here) I know of people who have bought one brand, used it a few times, and traded it in on the other brand because they did not feel comfortable on it. The sales people will most likely have the most customer feedback and personal experience you can find.

As has been mentioned, Yamaha has a great reputation for reliability. Most rental companies that I am familiar with, on the lake and in Florida, use Yamaha's for that reason.

The season is too short to deal with repair problems on any boat or personal watercraft. Reliability would be at the top of my list if I were looking for a new one. I have had Sea-Doos but the last four jet skis have been Yamaha's and that is probably the brand I will stay with.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Agreed on repairs, which is why reliability is key.

I've never noticed--are there jetski dealers at the boat shows?

Old 10-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #12
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Talk to the sales people at both Dasilva and HK Powersports. See what they are getting for feedback from customers.

I know HK Powersports usually has a new machine in the water for demo rides and will put whatever you would like in the water for a test ride.

Without naming the brand (and starting a war here) I know of people who have bought one brand, used it a few times, and traded it in on the other brand because they did not feel comfortable on it. The sales people will most likely have the most customer feedback and personal experience you can find.

As has been mentioned, Yamaha has a great reputation for reliability. Most rental companies that I am familiar with, on the lake and in Florida, use Yamaha's for that reason.

The season is too short to deal with repair problems on any boat or personal watercraft. Reliability would be at the top of my list if I were looking for a new one. I have had Sea-Doos but the last four jet skis have been Yamaha's and that is probably the brand I will stay with.
With all due respect Tilton, I would take every word out of ANY salesman's mouth with a grain of salt. Most are there just for the paycheck, and don't even know the product they are selling, which is why it is imperative for the buyer do his own due diligence on whatever he/she is buying. (Most) sales people are just looking out for themselves, and are going to tell any buyer what they want to hear. There are exceptions to every rule, but they are few and far between. That being said, you really can't go wrong with either Sea Doo, or Yamaha, but if it were me, I would buy a Honda first, and second would be Yamaha on my short list, then Sea Doo in third. Japanese products are just the most dependable IMHO, and Honda products are always the BEST no matter what you are talking about: lawnmowers, generators, snowblowers, waverunners, cars, (gotta throw Toyota in there too!), motorcycles, etc,etc... You get what you pay for, and you will always pay well for a Honda, but, with Honda, you also get (a little more) peace of mind!! "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". Benjamin Franklin ...and no, I don't work for Honda. I have just had great reliability from every Honda I have ever bought.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
With all due respect Tilton, I would take every word out of ANY salesman's mouth with a grain of salt. Most are there just for the paycheck, and don't even know the product they are selling, which is why it is imperative for the buyer do his own due diligence on whatever he/she is buying. (Most) sales people are just looking out for themselves, and are going to tell any buyer what they want to hear. There are exceptions to every rule, but they are few and far between. That being said, you really can't go wrong with either Sea Doo, or Yamaha, but if it were me, I would buy a Honda first, and second would be Yamaha on my short list, then Sea Doo in third. Japanese products are just the most dependable IMHO, and Honda products are always the BEST no matter what you are talking about: lawnmowers, generators, snowblowers, waverunners, cars, (gotta throw Toyota in there too!), motorcycles, etc,etc... You get what you pay for, and you will always pay well for a Honda, but, with Honda, you also get (a little more) peace of mind!! "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". Benjamin Franklin ...and no, I don't work for Honda. I have just had great reliability from every Honda I have ever bought.
Agreed on Honda, but it's important for me to have service nearby, and DaSilva's is about as close as it gets.

Someone messaged me that they have a 2014 Sea-Doo GTI 130 SE with 45 hours. Knowing the people, it'll be well maintained. Thoughts about this machine?

Old 10-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #14
TiltonBB

Quote:
With all due respect Tilton, I would take every word out of ANY salesman's mouth with a grain of salt. Most are there just for the paycheck, and don't even know the product they are selling
Well...............Every member of the Whalley family (that owns HK powersports) have their own jet skiis and snowmobiles. Three work in the Laconia store and two work in the Hooksett store. They also have a camp in northern New Hampshire for snowmobiling so they have extensive experience with them too. One member of the family delivers new machines and picks up and returns numerous jet skiis every year for winter storage or repairs and he has experience riding EVERY machine that they sell. Have a question? Stop in and ask him. They ride what they sell.

Quote:
, if it were me, I would buy a Honda first, and second would be Yamaha on my short list, then Sea Doo in third. Japanese products are just the most dependable IMHO, and Honda products are always the BEST no matter what you are talking about: lawnmowers, generators, snowblowers, waverunners, cars, (gotta throw Toyota in there too!), motorcycles, etc,etc
Hondas are the greatest? Tell that to all of the people with Honda CRV's with defective engines.

"Now, after owner complaints dating back to early 2017 and after repeated questions from Consumer Reports, Honda said in a statement that it is working on a fix."

“What really frustrates me is they’re still selling that 2017 engine,” Witzig says. “They’re selling them right and left, and they know they’ve got an issue, and that’s wrong.”

"And finally, frustrated by what he saw as Honda’s inability or unwillingness to fix a potentially serious engine problem, Witzig traded in his 5-month-old CR-V for a Toyota RAV4, taking a $7,000 loss in the process."

"Many CR-V owners were also alarmed to learn that Honda recalled 380,000 CR-Vs and Civics"
Old 10-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #15
Cal Coon

Quote:
Agreed on Honda, but it's important for me to have service nearby, and DaSilva's is about as close as it gets.

Someone messaged me that they have a 2014 Sea-Doo GTI 130 SE with 45 hours. Knowing the people, it'll be well maintained. Thoughts about this machine?

Properly maintained Honda's "shouldn't" need any service... (for a looooong time!!). lol
Old 10-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #16
Hillcountry

Quote:
Properly maintained Honda's "shouldn't" need any service... (for a looooong time!!). lol
You’re correct on one point...most CAR salesmen/women know diddly squat about what they sell.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #17
Biggd

Honda doesn't make new jet ski's anymore.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #18
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Well...............Every member of the Whalley family (that owns HK powersports) have their own jet skiis and snowmobiles. Three work in the Laconia store and two work in the Hooksett store. They also have a camp in northern New Hampshire for snowmobiling so they have extensive experience with them too. One member of the family delivers new machines and picks up and returns numerous jet skiis every year for winter storage or repairs and he has experience riding EVERY machine that they sell. Have a question? Stop in and ask him. They ride what they sell.

Hondas are the greatest? Tell that to all of the people with Honda CRV's with defective engines.

"Now, after owner complaints dating back to early 2017 and after repeated questions from Consumer Reports, Honda said in a statement that it is working on a fix."

“What really frustrates me is they’re still selling that 2017 engine,” Witzig says. “They’re selling them right and left, and they know they’ve got an issue, and that’s wrong.”

"And finally, frustrated by what he saw as Honda’s inability or unwillingness to fix a potentially serious engine problem, Witzig traded in his 5-month-old CR-V for a Toyota RAV4, taking a $7,000 loss in the process."

"Many CR-V owners were also alarmed to learn that Honda recalled 380,000 CR-Vs and Civics"
Of course the Whalley family rides what they sell. They kinda have to, or look like hypocrites. I do believe they are the exception to the rule of knowledge, but do they honestly believe they are selling the best, or do they just tell you they are selling the best because that's what they sell? If they lose one line of product, and replace it with another, is the new brand of product now better than what they used to sell??? I guarantee it will be according to them since they are selling it now. That's just how it goes in retail sales, nothing against the Whalley family, or anyone else in sales. Sales people switch brands all the time, and whatever they happen to be selling at the time is always what's best for the buyer, that's just a fact. EVERY sales person tells you they sell the best, so somebody has to be lying cause "everything" can't be the best...

As far as CR-V's go, nobody's perfect. I agree they shouldn't be selling a problem engine, but as long as they are standing behind them when they come back that's all that matters. If not, I'm sure there will be a class action law suit if the problem is as bad as you say. I have no desire to research it, so I'll take your word for it. ALL manufacturer's have recalls at one time or another. It's how they are handled that matters. Although I think Honda's are the best, if there is one product that Honda makes that I would say is not clearly the best, it is their auto's. I would probably put Toyota #1, and Honda #2 for reliability/dependability. I was pretty much referring to (small engine's), waverunner's, lawnmower's, generators, snowblower's, etc, as the best in their categories.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 10-22-2019 at 04:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #19
chipj29

Default Sea Doo Reliability

I have a 2004 Sea Doo GTX with the 4-stroke 155hp motor. I have never had a single problem with it. It starts up instantly every spring, and every day I use it. I have about 125 hours on it.
Think: you asked about a 2014 GTI. My buddy has one of those, and although he doesn't use it that much (roughly 30 hours), it is absolutely flawless and is a joy to ride.
thinkxingu (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So yes you want a for stroke.

Here is my personal experience with a Jet Ski.... My friend won a 2009 Seadoo GTI 155 SE, and immediately sold it to me. I got it in August that year, and got about 12 hours on before the end of the season. and got the 10 hour check-up done by a Seadoo dealership... All in all it wasn't bad except they recommended replacing the wear plate.... So I said go ahead, but please save the old one because I would like to see it... Long story short they didn't save it for me....

After that year for the next two years I averaged about 25 hours a year, the only maintenance was two change the oil every year.... and my regular mechanic handled that. The machine ran flawlessly.....

On the 3rd full season I decided to change the plugs, because performance had dropped... This brought the performance right back... I also replaced the battery that year.....got about 20 hours on the machine that year.....

The 4th season after an oil change by my regular mechanic went well, no real problems but only about 15 hours on the machine.....and a oil change at the end of the season once again by my regular mechanic......

the 5th season went well except the battery started to not hold a charge and I didn't even get 10 hours on the machine.... so no oil change....

the 6th season, well it was time to sell, and did so in no time flat, the guy that bought it put a new battery in and said it fired right up. He also had it looked at at the end of the season, and said the dealer recommended new plugs and new wear plate as the current one was showing some wear.....

With my big ass, that GTI 155 would top out at 53 mph... plenty fast enough.... I have been on more powerful machines, and they are simply not worth the extra maintenance and dependability hit for the supercharged engines.....

Now lets talk some comparison, I have one neighbor with a Honda, he has had it now for 15 years or so, with very little issues, he changes the oil regularly.... Another neighbor had a Yamaha, it fouled plugs on a regular basis, seemingly everytime he brought it in for service......

the moral of the story is, you can have problems with any machine. How bad those problems are depends on Maintenance, and dealership/mechanic honesty....

My biggest recommendation is to stay away from the supercharged engines.... all that horse power is not needed.... my GTI 155, with me and my brother in law on it, combined coming in close to 600 lbs, still moved like lighting...toping out in the mid 40s I believe.... although on the initial punch of the throttle, showed a lot of bow up attitude for some reason or another......
Old 10-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #21
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:

A 2014 GTI 130 SE with 45 hours, would make a good starter machine for sure.... Although I had the 155, I would hesitate to have a 130, while it is less horsepower, it isn't enough less to worry about. If it has been maintained well, and the price is right.... you save $$$ over buy something new, and should get many years of enjoyment from it.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #22
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So yes you want a for stroke.

Here is my personal experience with a Jet Ski.... My friend won a 2009 Seadoo GTI 155 SE, and immediately sold it to me. I got it in August that year, and got about 12 hours on before the end of the season. and got the 10 hour check-up done by a Seadoo dealership... All in all it wasn't bad except they recommended replacing the wear plate.... So I said go ahead, but please save the old one because I would like to see it... Long story short they didn't save it for me....

After that year for the next two years I averaged about 25 hours a year, the only maintenance was two change the oil every year.... and my regular mechanic handled that. The machine ran flawlessly.....

On the 3rd full season I decided to change the plugs, because performance had dropped... This brought the performance right back... I also replaced the battery that year.....got about 20 hours on the machine that year.....

The 4th season after an oil change by my regular mechanic went well, no real problems but only about 15 hours on the machine.....and a oil change at the end of the season once again by my regular mechanic......

the 5th season went well except the battery started to not hold a charge and I didn't even get 10 hours on the machine.... so no oil change....

the 6th season, well it was time to sell, and did so in no time flat, the guy that bought it put a new battery in and said it fired right up. He also had it looked at at the end of the season, and said the dealer recommended new plugs and new wear plate as the current one was showing some wear.....

With my big ass, that GTI 155 would top out at 53 mph... plenty fast enough.... I have been on more powerful machines, and they are simply not worth the extra maintenance and dependability hit for the supercharged engines.....

Now lets talk some comparison, I have one neighbor with a Honda, he has had it now for 15 years or so, with very little issues, he changes the oil regularly.... Another neighbor had a Yamaha, it fouled plugs on a regular basis, seemingly everytime he brought it in for service......

the moral of the story is, you can have problems with any machine. How bad those problems are depends on Maintenance, and dealership/mechanic honesty....

My biggest recommendation is to stay away from the supercharged engines.... all that horse power is not needed.... my GTI 155, with me and my brother in law on it, combined coming in close to 600 lbs, still moved like lighting...toping out in the mid 40s I believe.... although on the initial punch of the throttle, showed a lot of bow up attitude for some reason or another......
When you say wear plate are you talking about the wear ring? Those wear rings will last a long time unless you ground it a lot and pick up sand and rocks. Even if it's worn the only thing it will affect is performance.
Mine have some scares from picking up rocks but the ski's still work fine.
The key is to shut it off before you get in shallow water. I learned that the hard way.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #23
Biggd

Thumbs up

Quote:

I have an 09 GTI SE and it's a rock solid machine. The only thing I've ever had to do to it is oil changes, battery, and spark plugs. The 2014 has the new braking system which is awesome.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:03 AM   #24
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Pick One

On the advice of our forum friend "Codeman", (he probably has had more boats and jet skis than all of us put together!) a few years back I purchased a Yamaha FX SHO cruiser which at that time was their flagship model. The thing was ridiculously powerful and fast!! I'm a pretty big guy and it took all I had at times to hang on to the bars if I gunned the throttle!

I believe I kept it for three years trouble free before selling because my back could no longer take the pounding of a jet ski. Also, living on Welch Island all summer, you don't get many days where the lake is calm enough for me to enjoy riding one.

Much like Samiam stated previously, I too noticed that every rental agency in the Caribbean used Yamahas exclusively. There has to be a reason for that...

With the above being said I am also a huge fan of BRP (Bombardier / Seadoo). I feel they are a leader in the industry and their technology far surpasses their competitors and will probably remain that way for years to come. They are a well established progress oriented company with a lot of financial backing.

SO...If you bothered to read all the drivel above, I guess I wouldn't hesitate to buy either a Yamaha or a Seadoo!!...Go for the one that has the options you like and comfort you want and enjoy!! Just don't come to close to me when I am trolling for salmon!!

Dan
Hillcountry (10-23-2019), thinkxingu (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #25
Biggd

When I was looking to buy my first one I was open to buying either Yamaha or Sea Doo. I just happened to get a great deal on a used Sea Doo so that's what I bought. When I bought my second Ski I only looked at Sea Doo's because that's what I was familiar with and I was extremely happy with the first one.
I don't think you can go wrong with either one but as a first time buyer I would stay away from super charged models and if buying used I would look for something with under 100 hours or close to it, JMO.
The 2014 GTI130SE with 45 hours sounds like an excellent first machine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #26
fatlazyless

Default ...... row-row-row-row!

Just forget the jetski, and get a $300 or $400, second hand, used, aluminum 11' row boat, either a vee-hull or a jon boat with a new set of 78" light weight, wood oars for $80 from Parafunalia in Gilford. An old ugly aluminum row boat can either be cleaned up, or cleaned up and painted to make it look like something good.

Rowing is just like eating Wonderbread .... it builds better bodies in 12 different ways .... plus there's no gasoline, no annual registration, no annual insurance, no jet ski boat lift, and maybe no trailer needed. With one person seated in the middle seat, holding the two oars, it will cross waves and boat wakes over two foot high, common on Lake Winnipesaukee ...... no problem!

An 11' jon boat will plane across the water when rowed with 78" light weight, Canadien or Canadian wood oars, seats one, two or three people plus a dog, and the boat only weighs 80-lbs.

Go row that small boat and forget about the jetski! Want to LOSE the jelly belly fat, then get a row boat! Rowing really works the abs muscles, plus the feet, ankles, calves, knees, legs, thighs, hips, waist, shoulders, elbows, arms, neck, head, hands, and fingers ..... plus your balance, and coordination, and strength.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-23-2019 at 11:05 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #27
burgerunh

I have a 12' Row Boat FLL! Its great for all the reasons you mentioned. My total investment in it is $40 for the row boat at a yard sale and $25 for the wood oars off of Craigslist. I keep it at the camp and use it several times a year to go fishing. I even added a comfy swivel fishing seat from your favorite store. I throw it in the bed of my pickup truck solo and bring it around to various small bodies of water to do some fishing.

However, It doesn't compare to the Yamaha FX Cruiser HO we have for speed or thrills. That thing is a hoot! 2 different toys for 2 different purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Just forget the jetski, and get a $300 or $400, second hand, used, aluminum 11' row boat, either a vee-hull or a jon boat with a new set of 78" light weight, wood oars for $80 from Parafunalia in Gilford. An old ugly aluminum row boat can either be cleaned up, or cleaned up and painted to make it look like something good.

Rowing is just like eating Wonderbread .... it builds better bodies in 12 ways .... plus there's no gasoline, no annual registration, no annual insurance, no jet ski boat lift, and maybe no trailer needed.

An 11' jon boat will fly over the water when rowed with 78" light weight, Canadian wooden oars, holds one, two or three people plus a dog, and the boat only weighs 80-lbs.

Go row that small boat and forget about the jetski!
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #28
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

Rowing is just like eating Wonderbread .... it builds better bodies in 12 different ways .... plus there's no gasoline, no annual registration, no annual insurance, no jet ski boat lift, and maybe no trailer needed. With one person seated in the middle seat, holding the two oars, it will cross waves and boat wakes over two foot high, common on Lake Winnipesaukee ...... no problem!

An 11' jon boat will plane across the water when rowed with 78" light weight, Canadien or Canadian wood oars, seats one, two or three people plus a dog, and the boat only weighs 80-lbs.

Go row that small boat and forget about the jetski! Want to LOSE the jelly belly fat, then get a row boat! Rowing really works the abs muscles, plus the feet, ankles, calves, knees, legs, thighs, hips, waist, shoulders, elbows, arms, neck, head, hands, and fingers ..... plus your balance, and coordination, and strength.
FLL, I'll overlook your rambling but the fact that you're recommending what I literally just spent two months posting about is offensive!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Descant (10-27-2019), Wifi-1 (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #29
Biggd

Thumbs up

Quote:
FLL, I'll overlook your rambling but the fact that you're recommending what I literally just spent two months posting about is offensive!

If that GTI 130 SE is in great shape with only 45 hours and you can negotiate a decent price you won't be disappointed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #30
Winilyme

Default Comfort won our for us

Hello thinkxingu. After five years of reading this forum and planning to join, I’ve finally done it. Your ‘jet ski’ post prompted me to weigh in as I was in your shoes just eight months ago. My wife and I began shopping for a new ‘jet ski’ - using this term in the generic sense - early last year. First step was lots of on-line research followed by a visit to the Boston boat show. By May, we’d narrowed it down to the Sea-doo GTX Limited 230 or the Yamaha FX Cruiser HO. For the two brands, these were comparable models.

Next step was to take them out for a ride - only - we didn’t. My argument, foolishly, was that I’d done enough research and sat on each unit enough, that I didn’t feel riding each was necessary. A silly move for sure but luckily it did work out at the end of the day. We visited Irwin Marine (they sell Sea-doo & Yamaha at their Alton location) and HK Powersports in Laconia which also sells both brands. Getting the more expert opinions at these dealerships helped a lot, as did familiarizing ourselves with each unit in person. It also helped us understand who appeared more interested in making the deal work for them versus making it work for us.

Ultimately, we went with the Sea-doo and purchased at HK. Much of the advice you’ve already received, we did as well, through our research and dealership conversations. For example, we heard about the Sea-doo being susceptible to recalls. I’d be lying if that wasn’t a concern and in fact, there has been several recalls this summer. Something about the intake grate (could come loose???) if the unit is driven in the 55 MPH range. I haven’t had it a single MPH over 45 all summer (all right, maybe a tad over in a weak moment) and that issue will be fixed this winter. Also, I believe they recalled their attachable fish cooler - something about a child getting stuck in it. At the end of the day, I chose to roll the dice and de-emphasize the recall issue.

Here then are the difference makers in our eyes that made the decision easy to go with the Sea-doo. For the most part, it came down to comfort as we were more interested in cruising versus sport:

1. I’m a tall guy with long legs. Despite the fact that the Yamaha sits higher in the water (which in and of itself I wasn’t fond of) it just wasn’t comfortable for me. The Sea-doo offers those with long legs a far more comfortable seating position IMHO. I had to tell my wife (short legs), who seemed to prefer the Yamaha, that we simply weren’t going to buy a ‘jet ski’ unless we could both be comfortable in the driver’s seat. The level of comfort was that different and important. We both needed to be comfortable and she eventually agreed that the Sea-doo was good enough for her.

2. The Yamaha offers significantly more storage and in three spots. Front, under seat and a small space in the rear. The Sea-doo has one storage space in the front. Thing is, the Sea-doo compartment seems much larger - cavernous almost - because all the storage space is in that one space. More importantly, the Sea-doo space opens by lifting from the driver’s position. Simply lift up and all that space is directly in front of you and within easy reach. You hardly need to stand up. With the Yamaha, the front space cover is hinged near the driver’s position. Therefore, it lifts in the opposite direction. So, you need to be a bit of a contortionist to access it. That’s okay if you almost never need to access that space and don’t mind the inconvenience of getting to it (it’s also more okay if you are 25 years old). We’ve found this summer however that we are constantly accessing this storage when on the lake for towels, wini map, water bottles, food, whatever. Knowing what we know now, the fact that the Yamaha space is inconvenient to access, would be a deal killer. Know also that you can purchase a beverage cooler that will latch onto the back platform of the Sea-doo and give you more storage. We actually bought that cooler - for about $275 bucks - and didn’t use it once all summer.

3. The Sea-doo offers other accessories using that back platform that the Yamaha doesn’t such as a spare fuel container and a ski-pole. We don’t do the water sport stuff but if we did, I’d like the ski-pole as an added protection against the line getting stuck up in the intake.

4. The Yamaha has a couple of cool things such as a color touch screen and drains in the footwells. Touch screen is no big deal other than the coolness factor. In fact, I feel it’s probably somewhat of a pain since you have to stretch/reach to access everyday functions. I’d rather have all that available on the handles as is the case with the Sea-doo. The drains are a great idea but I did observe how small they are and wondered how long it would take before they clogged up. Regardless, I’ve got a Cool Whip container and old towel on-board our Sea-doo which does the quick work of cleaning out any water at the end of the day. So, the drains are no big deal really. Maybe nice if you are an early or late season rider. Submerged feet at those times of year isn’t my idea of a good time and I think the Yamaha foot wells will drain as you ride.

5. Yamaha talks a lot about their RAM mount-like accessories that fit into the cup holders. Nice idea but I’m not sure how practical given the beating a ‘jet ski’ can take. I wonder how long it takes for whatever’s attached to those mounts to loosen up. Could be a pain. Those RAM mounts are used for their speakers too if you choose that option but they are somewhat flimsy looking. The Sea-doo speakers are, on the other hand, integrated into the overall design. They are sturdy, big, with ample volume and the controls are easily accessible. I also think getting to the music controls is a bit more difficult with the Yamaha. I wanted accurate sound and I’m guessing the Sea-doo speakers win handily in that department over the Yamaha. I think the sound is great.

6. The Sea-doo GTX Limited comes with a depth-finder...something my wife really wanted but I didn’t give a hoot about. But, the wife is always right and she was in this case as well. I just love it (and her). For me, it’s just fun to know how deep the water is - especially when out in deeper parts of the lake. But it’s also handy as a second back-up to visual sight when standing and navigating through possibly shallow waters. I like to explore closer to shore.
The step ladder on the Sea-doo isn’t bad but I do remember that the Yamaha seemed to offer a better one. Yamaha also offers some retractable cleats that I liked.

The above are largely ‘comfort’ items that were very important to us. Performance-wise, the Sea-doo rides great and I like feeling closer to the water and a bit more enclosed/protected (due to the deeper foot wells) than I think I would have felt on the Yamaha. I believe there’s some stability advantages there as well. Other than that, I’m not a motor head so I’ll let folks with better qualifications guide you there. All in all, we couldn’t be happier with the Sea-Doo and we know without question that we made the right decision for us. Hope this helps some with your shopping trip.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-19-2020), trfour (10-27-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 05:05 AM   #31
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
Hello thinkxingu. After five years of reading this forum and planning to join, I’ve finally done it. Your ‘jet ski’ post prompted me to weigh in as I was in your shoes just eight months ago. My wife and I began shopping for a new ‘jet ski’ - using this term in the generic sense - early last year. First step was lots of on-line research followed by a visit to the Boston boat show. By May, we’d narrowed it down to the Sea-doo GTX Limited 230 or the Yamaha FX Cruiser HO. For the two brands, these were comparable models.

Next step was to take them out for a ride - only - we didn’t. My argument, foolishly, was that I’d done enough research and sat on each unit enough, that I didn’t feel riding each was necessary. A silly move for sure but luckily it did work out at the end of the day. We visited Irwin Marine (they sell Sea-doo & Yamaha at their Alton location) and HK Powersports in Laconia which also sells both brands. Getting the more expert opinions at these dealerships helped a lot, as did familiarizing ourselves with each unit in person. It also helped us understand who appeared more interested in making the deal work for them versus making it work for us.

Ultimately, we went with the Sea-doo and purchased at HK. Much of the advice you’ve already received, we did as well, through our research and dealership conversations. For example, we heard about the Sea-doo being susceptible to recalls. I’d be lying if that wasn’t a concern and in fact, there has been several recalls this summer. Something about the intake grate (could come loose???) if the unit is driven in the 55 MPH range. I haven’t had it a single MPH over 45 all summer (all right, maybe a tad over in a weak moment) and that issue will be fixed this winter. Also, I believe they recalled their attachable fish cooler - something about a child getting stuck in it. At the end of the day, I chose to roll the dice and de-emphasize the recall issue.

Here then are the difference makers in our eyes that made the decision easy to go with the Sea-doo. For the most part, it came down to comfort as we were more interested in cruising versus sport:

1. I’m a tall guy with long legs. Despite the fact that the Yamaha sits higher in the water (which in and of itself I wasn’t fond of) it just wasn’t comfortable for me. The Sea-doo offers those with long legs a far more comfortable seating position IMHO. I had to tell my wife (short legs), who seemed to prefer the Yamaha, that we simply weren’t going to buy a ‘jet ski’ unless we could both be comfortable in the driver’s seat. The level of comfort was that different and important. We both needed to be comfortable and she eventually agreed that the Sea-doo was good enough for her.

2. The Yamaha offers significantly more storage and in three spots. Front, under seat and a small space in the rear. The Sea-doo has one storage space in the front. Thing is, the Sea-doo compartment seems much larger - cavernous almost - because all the storage space is in that one space. More importantly, the Sea-doo space opens by lifting from the driver’s position. Simply lift up and all that space is directly in front of you and within easy reach. You hardly need to stand up. With the Yamaha, the front space cover is hinged near the driver’s position. Therefore, it lifts in the opposite direction. So, you need to be a bit of a contortionist to access it. That’s okay if you almost never need to access that space and don’t mind the inconvenience of getting to it (it’s also more okay if you are 25 years old). We’ve found this summer however that we are constantly accessing this storage when on the lake for towels, wini map, water bottles, food, whatever. Knowing what we know now, the fact that the Yamaha space is inconvenient to access, would be a deal killer. Know also that you can purchase a beverage cooler that will latch onto the back platform of the Sea-doo and give you more storage. We actually bought that cooler - for about $275 bucks - and didn’t use it once all summer.

3. The Sea-doo offers other accessories using that back platform that the Yamaha doesn’t such as a spare fuel container and a ski-pole. We don’t do the water sport stuff but if we did, I’d like the ski-pole as an added protection against the line getting stuck up in the intake.

4. The Yamaha has a couple of cool things such as a color touch screen and drains in the footwells. Touch screen is no big deal other than the coolness factor. In fact, I feel it’s probably somewhat of a pain since you have to stretch/reach to access everyday functions. I’d rather have all that available on the handles as is the case with the Sea-doo. The drains are a great idea but I did observe how small they are and wondered how long it would take before they clogged up. Regardless, I’ve got a Cool Whip container and old towel on-board our Sea-doo which does the quick work of cleaning out any water at the end of the day. So, the drains are no big deal really. Maybe nice if you are an early or late season rider. Submerged feet at those times of year isn’t my idea of a good time and I think the Yamaha foot wells will drain as you ride.

5. Yamaha talks a lot about their RAM mount-like accessories that fit into the cup holders. Nice idea but I’m not sure how practical given the beating a ‘jet ski’ can take. I wonder how long it takes for whatever’s attached to those mounts to loosen up. Could be a pain. Those RAM mounts are used for their speakers too if you choose that option but they are somewhat flimsy looking. The Sea-doo speakers are, on the other hand, integrated into the overall design. They are sturdy, big, with ample volume and the controls are easily accessible. I also think getting to the music controls is a bit more difficult with the Yamaha. I wanted accurate sound and I’m guessing the Sea-doo speakers win handily in that department over the Yamaha. I think the sound is great.

6. The Sea-doo GTX Limited comes with a depth-finder...something my wife really wanted but I didn’t give a hoot about. But, the wife is always right and she was in this case as well. I just love it (and her). For me, it’s just fun to know how deep the water is - especially when out in deeper parts of the lake. But it’s also handy as a second back-up to visual sight when standing and navigating through possibly shallow waters. I like to explore closer to shore.
The step ladder on the Sea-doo isn’t bad but I do remember that the Yamaha seemed to offer a better one. Yamaha also offers some retractable cleats that I liked.

The above are largely ‘comfort’ items that were very important to us. Performance-wise, the Sea-doo rides great and I like feeling closer to the water and a bit more enclosed/protected (due to the deeper foot wells) than I think I would have felt on the Yamaha. I believe there’s some stability advantages there as well. Other than that, I’m not a motor head so I’ll let folks with better qualifications guide you there. All in all, we couldn’t be happier with the Sea-Doo and we know without question that we made the right decision for us. Hope this helps some with your shopping trip.
Hey Winilyme! Welcome to the forum and thanks a bunch for your thoughts--you've summed up a lot of stuff I had rolling in my head.

At this point, I'm waiting for a price for the '14 GTI. It's an SE with the iBr system people talk about, though I don't believe it has speakers. I've read enough to know, though, that that would be a great starting machine. From there, I think use will reveal what's important to us (though I tend to research like crazy, I never really know until I use something).

If the GTI doesn't pan out, I'll be looking at a new GTI, GTX, or Yamaha VX Cruiser.

I would be interested in what people think would be a good deal on the GTI with a galvanized trailer

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
trfour (10-27-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 06:03 AM   #32
Biggd

Quote:
Hey Winilyme! Welcome to the forum and thanks a bunch for your thoughts--you've summed up a lot of stuff I had rolling in my head.

At this point, I'm waiting for a price for the '14 GTI. It's an SE with the iBr system people talk about, though I don't believe it has speakers. I've read enough to know, though, that that would be a great starting machine. From there, I think use will reveal what's important to us (though I tend to research like crazy, I never really know until I use something).

If the GTI doesn't pan out, I'll be looking at a new GTI, GTX, or Yamaha VX Cruiser.

I would be interested in what people think would be a good deal on the GTI with a galvanized trailer

Thanks!

There was a dealer advertising brand new GTI 130's this past summer at $8995 just for the ski. I bought a 2013 GTX 260 limited with 29 hours and a trailer for $7250 this past summer.
I'm guessing a 2014 GTI 130SE should be around $5500.
I love the iBr braking system which I don't have on my 09. I don't know if Yamaha has any feature like this.

Last edited by Biggd; 10-24-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:06 AM   #33
TiltonBB

Quote:

Thanks!

You could start with Kelly Blue Book for personal watercraft to get a value.

https://www.kbb.com/personalwatercraft/

KBB: It's not just about cars anymore!
Old 10-24-2019, 07:12 AM   #34
ishoot308

Quote:

Great info!

Welcome!!

Dan
trfour (10-27-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #35
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Much like Samiam stated previously, I too noticed that every rental agency in the Caribbean used Yamahas exclusively. There has to be a reason for that...

Dan
The reason Yamahas are popular in the Caribbean has a lot to do with parts availability. Yamaha has an excellent network of service centers around the world and their marine products are popular outside areas with big populations because of that. They also have great reliability as well.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #36
thinkxingu

I've not yet received a price from the seller of the used GTI 130SE, but doing some research, it appears the new GTI 170SE has a lot of new stuff and, if I buy at the boat show, will come with a 4-year warranty.

So...a brandy new unit or a used unit at half the price? Next summer, the used machine will be 6 years old. I'm very much leaning towards the new...

Old 10-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #37
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The reason Yamahas are popular in the Caribbean has a lot to do with parts availability. Yamaha has an excellent network of service centers around the world and their marine products are popular outside areas with big populations because of that. They also have great reliability as well.
Yamaha outboards are almost used exclusively in the Caribbean as well....based on what you have said I can understand why!

Dan
Old 10-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #38
thinkxingu

Scratch that, I heard from seller: $8k with trailer and cover. It's a nice machine, but I'll probably buy new.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #39
WinnisquamZ

8k now. Give it a month

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #40
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
8k now. Give it a month

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
That's what they said they're gonna list it for in spring. I was thinking $6k, so we're too far apart to even bother.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:23 AM   #41
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
We visited Irwin Marine (they sell Sea-doo & Yamaha at their Alton location) and HK Powersports in Laconia which also sells both brands.
I have to laugh at seeing this information.

For two summers, '02/'03, I sold Yamaha boats at the soon to be defunct Xtreme Marine in Moultonborough. The company was well run, and sold many, many Yamaha jet boats/skis. What they needed, to keep them alive, was the snowmobile part of the business.

I only worked there, not a principal, but the story I heard was that Yamaha wouldn't give Xtreme the snowmobile franchise because it (Xtreme) was too close to the "territorially protected dealers"

Anyway- I made good money (sold a lot of boats,/skis for a summer job).
I still think (again, laughing at the Irwin/HK info above) that Xtreme got screwed by Yamaha.

By the way, this post is not a slam on Yamaha products- I still think they are one of the best at what they do.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:58 AM   #42
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Quote:
We visited Irwin Marine (they sell Sea-doo & Yamaha at their Alton location) and HK Powersports in Laconia which also sells both brands.
I have to laugh at seeing this information.

For two summers, '02/'03, I sold Yamaha boats at the soon to be defunct Xtreme Marine in Moultonborough. The company was well run, and sold many, many Yamaha jet boats/skis. What they needed, to keep them alive, was the snowmobile part of the business.

I only worked there, not a principal, but the story I heard was that Yamaha wouldn't give Xtreme the snowmobile franchise because it (Xtreme) was too close to the "territorially protected dealers"

Anyway- I made good money (sold a lot of boats,/skis for a summer job).
I still think (again, laughing at the Irwin/HK info above) that Xtreme got screwed by Yamaha.

By the way, this post is not a slam on Yamaha products- I still think they are one of the best at what they do.
It's interesting you mention this--while talking with DaSilva's in Hampstead the other day, I was told only the Moultonborough location sells Yamaha. I wonder if there is/was already a Yamaha dealer in the Hampstead area that prevented/prevents DaSilva's from selling it.

Rolex did something similar a decade ago when they pulled dealership licenses to "increase exclusivity." I can't recall if it was Alpha Omega or Long's that lost the brand, but I was told it was a big hit.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #43
Cal Coon

Quote:
It's interesting you mention this--while talking with DaSilva's in Hampstead the other day, I was told only the Moultonborough location sells Yamaha. I wonder if there is/was already a Yamaha dealer in the Hampstead area that prevented/prevents DaSilva's from selling it.

Rolex did something similar a decade ago when they pulled dealership licenses to "increase exclusivity." I can't recall if it was Alpha Omega or Long's that lost the brand, but I was told it was a big hit.

There is Plaistow Powersports in Plaistow, NH that sells Yamaha products. It is right down the street from DaSilva's in Hampstead. Same owner as Cycles 128 in Beverly, Mass, and Parkway Cycles in Everett. All Dealer's have the same "territorial" rules of thumb, not just Yamaha, for obvious reasons. I wouldn't even bother going to PPS. No deals to be had there IMHO...

Last edited by Cal Coon; 10-27-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #44
Biggd

Quote:
Scratch that, I heard from seller: $8k with trailer and cover. It's a nice machine, but I'll probably buy new.

That's way too much money. If they really want to sell it they will have to come down quite a bit. I bought a 2013 GTX 260 limited with 29 hours and a trailer this past summer for $7250.
There's an add on NH Craigslist today for 2 09 Seadoo GTX's with a trailer for 9K.

Last edited by Biggd; 10-27-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #45
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
That's way too much money. If they really want to sell it they will have to come down quite a bit. I bought a 2013 GTX 260 limited with 29 hours and a trailer this past summer for $7250.
There's an add on NH Craigslist today for 2 09 Seadoo GTX's with a trailer for 9K.
Yeah, I was prepared to pay $6k, but being that far off I don't even want to bother and, frankly, it helps make the decision for what I really want!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-27-2019)