Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
Tedougherty

Default ValvTect vs Standard gas

Hi All,

In writing this, I don't desire to start a holy war over fuel types, but as a newcomer to the lake, I wanted to inquire with those that have some history. I have been in several conversations with friends around the lake supporting the benefits of ValvTect gas, and was curious as to the take from others here that may also use it.

Second, I am interested to know whether anyone has history or background as to why some of the lakes marinas don't carry it, for example, Fay's. From what I have been able to read, there are some great benefits, but I am sure there may be some constraints on the marinas offering it. Anyone have some history or insights?

Tom
Tedougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedougherty View Post
Hi All,

In writing this, I don't desire to start a holy war over fuel types, but as a newcomer to the lake, I wanted to inquire with those that have some history. I have been in several conversations with friends around the lake supporting the benefits of ValvTect gas, and was curious as to the take from others here that may also use it.

Second, I am interested to know whether anyone has history or background as to why some of the lakes marinas don't carry it, for example, Fay's. From what I have been able to read, there are some great benefits, but I am sure there may be some constraints on the marinas offering it. Anyone have some history or insights?

Tom
Hi Tom,

Any of the current available stabilizers such as Valvetech, Startron, Stabil, etc, do a fine job of retarding fuel from the seperation phase, don't get to hung up on the brand name. Most marinas with gas on the lake use some form of stabilizer in their gas and a couple do not. Yes Fays is one of those that does not. They do however sell whatever brand floats your boat right at the gas docks so you can add it when filling up which is what most do.

I am a firm believer in stabilizer as I have seen first hand how quickly phase separation can occur in fresh gas! It is especially needed when storing your boat over the winter months.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 04-02-2017 at 08:42 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-29-2017), Tedougherty (03-29-2017), upthesaukee (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I buy my gas virtually exclusively at West Alton Marina, who does have tbe ValvTect additive in their gas. Wherever you get your gas (most will be 89 octane from what I have seen), if no signs indicating an additive, ask. If none included, buy some and add it. As I shoot 308 said, it is vital to the health of your engine.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
DesertDweller

You will be fine either way but if you can get the ValvTect gas I would recommend it. In addition to the additive, part of the requirement to be a ValvTect seller is to have the tanks tested for water and other contaminants a couple times a year.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
Old Sarge

Does anyone know if Mountain View Yacht Club has it?
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
DesertDweller

http://www.valvtect.com/marina_search.asp
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertDweller For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Stabilizers

Lakeport landing been using Startron for a decade now. Never had a 'bad' gas situation which I notice before they added stabilizer.

I agree with Dan, don't get hung up on brand, just make sure you have the right amount of stabilizer for winter storage.

Now if we can get a marina to carry non ethanol fuel................................
upthesaukee (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Pre-mix vs additive

First, Welcome to the Forum.
Sounds like we're talking pre-mix vs. additive put in each time you fuel up. It's always been a little bit of an irritant for me that we are forced to buy ethanol, and then forced to buy an additive to protect the engine from the ethanol. Recall the top notch choices from the EPA over MtBE?
The instructions on Startron suggest varying the amount of additive depending on anticipated use/non-use. Maybe you need it in the spring, not in the summer, and double dose for winter storage. If you buy pre-mix, you're paying for it all the time.
A couple of other Q & A: MVYC sells additive and asks if you want it when you fill up. No pre-mix.
Check the storage tank for water twice a year? When I worked for Irwin Marine, decades ago part of opening every morning was to check the tanks for water as they had time to settle overnight. In my book, a daily check is easy enough. Why wait for mid-season to find a problem?
I keep thinking we'll see more diesels on the lake, but still probably only a few; you can't tell by looking at a boat at the dock, but they don't need all this stuff. And no tune-ups.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
Tedougherty

Thank you all for the information and insights. See you on the water!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Tedougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #10
noreast

I was surprised how cheap the gas was at west Alton marina last year given that Valve tec was in it.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #11
Rich

Everyone has their own religion, this being said:

I put in a dose of Startron on every fill up. If you buy it at WalMart the price is ok. I always have a few bottles on board.

Just be sure to make note if you buy the weaker formula or the stronger one.

The stronger one uses 8oz to treat 128 gallons, the weaker one uses 8oz to treat 48 gallons.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #12
Old Sarge

I understand using these products when storing your boat over the winter, but what does it do for the engine during the summer when you are burning fresh fuel? My boat seems to run fine without it. Not saying anyone is wrong, just trying to educate myself!
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #13
Rich

I don't put in fresh fuel on each trip. Sometimes I don't get fresh fuel for a month or two (I have large tanks).

This way I never have to worry. It's not just for long term stabilization, but helps with water, etc. As I said, it's sort of a religious choice.

Same reason some like to use ValveTect on every fill up, not just when closing up for the winter.

This is my choice:
http://www.starbrite.com/startron

One nice thing about StarTron, they do have a dosage formula, but say you can't really 'over treat' your fuel with it, so no worries if you put in a bit too much. Also they say it's compatible with other stabilizers, so no worries about using it in ValveTect or if someone used Stabil (which is only a stabilizer for long term use).

I use it in all my small engines, my motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. I should probably use it in my low use cars too.

I'm starting to sound like an advertiser... but here is their video that tells you what it's supposed to do. If it does half of this, I'm happy to use it:

Since you asked "what does it do over the Summer", I thought that would answer it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (03-30-2017), upthesaukee (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
I understand using these products when storing your boat over the winter, but what does it do for the engine during the summer when you are burning fresh fuel? My boat seems to run fine without it. Not saying anyone is wrong, just trying to educate myself!

The additives offer no benefit if you are routinely burning through gas, adding fresh gas to the tank, and don't have a way for water to get into the tank.

I only use additives in fuel that's going to be stored for a few months or more. My boat only gets additive (Stabil Marine) when I fill for the last time of the season, just prior to Winterization. I buy at least 95% of my boat gas at automotive pumps (this no additives) too, because my boat is typically kept on the trailer when not in use. I've been doing this for at least 15 years without a single fuel-related issue.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #15
Rich

Dave,

I hope you and your bride will join us again on a day on the lake again this year!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #16
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The additives offer no benefit if you are routinely burning through gas, adding fresh gas to the tank
I disagree...Ethanol, which is a form of alcohol, is a wonderful de-greaser. Ethanol robs your cylinder walls of oil lubrication particularly at startup. Quality stabilizers such as marine Stabil offer corrosion protection and lubrication to offset some of this degreasing that ethanol displaces.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 03-30-2017 at 10:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Descant (03-30-2017), thinkxingu (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:17 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I disagree...Ethanol, which is a form alcohol, is a wonderful de-greaser. Ethanol robs your cylinder walls of oil lubrication particularly at startup. Quality stabilizers such as marine Stabil offer corrosion protection and lubrication to offset some of this degreasing that ethanol displaces.

Dan
Ethanol also damages gaskets and fuel lines.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
I disagree...Ethanol, which is a form of alcohol, is a wonderful de-greaser. Ethanol robs your cylinder walls of oil lubrication particularly at startup. Quality stabilizers such as marine Stabil offer corrosion protection and lubrication to offset some of this degreasing that ethanol displaces.

Dan
If this was really a problem, why do car engines last so long on plain old E10? I can't imagine many people are adding ValvTect every time they fill up. I certainly don't witness it at gas stations.

My commuter car has 192k miles, runs perfectly, and has never seen a drop of any gasoline additive. I'd estimate it has at least 4800 hours on it (assuming a 40 MPH average speed over the life of the car).

I would think the cold Winter start-ups the car has to endure would exacerbate the issue compared to the typical warm temperature a Winnipesaukee boat is going to enjoy at start up. My boat engine is probably already at least 65 degrees when I first start it up most days. It's never been started below 32 degrees. Yet, even though the car gets most of it's starts in cold weather (I ride a motorcycle when weather permits) it still works fine.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #19
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Right or wrong in my thinking, but my boat is sitting at the dock overnight, and there are very few days that I go to the boat fairly early in the day where the boat is not covered with dew / moisture. My car at the house about a half mile off the lake seldom has dew or moisture on it. My concern with the boat, and one reason I fill at WAM with the ValvTect, is my concern that condensation may form in the tank and that the ValvTect will help with the problem.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #20
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
Does anyone know if Mountain View Yacht Club has it?
I don't think anyone answered this question ---------- NO they do not !

Originally the ValvTec brand of fuel was an "exclusive" franchise/deal for Channel Marine ... I do not know the circumstances ... but for whatever reason more Marina's around the Lake have taken it on over the past 2 years.

Old Sarge (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #21
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
If this was really a problem, why do car engines last so long on plain old E10? I can't imagine many people are adding ValvTect every time they fill up. I certainly don't witness it at gas stations.

My commuter car has 192k miles, runs perfectly, and has never seen a drop of any gasoline additive. I'd estimate it has at least 4800 hours on it (assuming a 40 MPH average speed over the life of the car).

I would think the cold Winter start-ups the car has to endure would exacerbate the issue compared to the typical warm temperature a Winnipesaukee boat is going to enjoy at start up. My boat engine is probably already at least 65 degrees when I first start it up most days. It's never been started below 32 degrees. Yet, even though the car gets most of it's starts in cold weather (I ride a motorcycle when weather permits) it still works fine.
Mainly the reason cars are less affected is because they are used daily or at least a heck of a lot more than most boats where ethanol corrosion becomes an issue. This is why boats, snowmobiles, ATV's and any combustion engine that either gets stored or not run daily, ethanol corrosion becomes a real issue. The longer an engine sits that has used ethanol laced fuel the worse the problem becomes. The problem is not running the engine with ethanol the problem is when the engine is not running or stored after ethanol....

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 03-30-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #22
DesertDweller

Quote:
Mainly the reason cars are less affected is because they are used daily or at least a heck of a lot more than most boats where ethanol corrosion becomes a real issue. This is why boats, snowmobiles, ATV's and any combustion engine that either gets stored or not run daily, ethanol corrosion becomes a real issue. The longer an engine sits that has used ethanol laced fuel the worse the problem becomes. The problem is not running the engine with ethanol the problem is when the engine is not running or stored after ethanol....

Dan
Couldn't agree more. I have read where gasoline phase separation can happen in less than a month. Maybe that's just marketing materials being put out by the makers of these additives, but for me, I would rather spend a couple of extra bucks getting treated gas and/or buying the stabilizers than risking damage to a multiple thousand dollar motor hanging off the back of my boat.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #23
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I don't think anyone answered this question ---------- NO they do not !
Originally the ValvTec brand of fuel was an "exclusive" franchise/deal for Channel Marine ... I do not know the circumstances ... but for whatever reason more Marina's around the Lake have taken it on over the past 2 years.
This is why I add my own StarTron. This way I don't have to worry if any particular fuel station has, or doesn't have any sort of additive.

I supply my own.

For those of you that say it's not needed, I won't argue with that. As I said, it's sort of a like a religious choice.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:21 AM   #24
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
Couldn't agree more. I have read where gasoline phase separation can happen in less than a month. Maybe that's just marketing materials being put out by the makers of these additives, but for me, I would rather spend a couple of extra bucks getting treated gas and/or buying the stabilizers than risking damage to a multiple thousand dollar motor hanging off the back of my boat.
Phase separation occurs because there is too much water in the fuel, it's not due to time. Additives are not the proper solution to that, you need to keep the water out.