Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Kracken

Default Boating 101

I had a friendly disagreement with a buddy of mine the other day. We were traveling from Alton to Paugus Bay. We cut over to the west side of Governor’s Island. About 50 feet before the no-wake marker near the bridge, I came off plain. He laughed at me and said “I just broke the safe-passage rule”. I looked around quick to see if there was another boat within 150’ feet of me…there was nothing. I said “what are you talking about.” He said I had to come to headway speed 150’ before the marker. This can’t be right.

We have a little friendly wager on this. Please tell me I am right.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
winnipesaukeenh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
I had a friendly disagreement with a buddy of mine the other day. We were traveling from Alton to Paugus Bay. We cut over to the west side of Governor’s Island. About 50 feet before the no-wake marker near the bridge, I came off plain. He laughed at me and said “I just broke the safe-passage rule”. I looked around quick to see if there was another boat within 150’ feet of me…there was nothing. I said “what are you talking about.” He said I had to come to headway speed 150’ before the marker. This can’t be right.

We have a little friendly wager on this. Please tell me I am right.
You're correct. You need to proceed at headway speed once you reach the marker, not when you're 150' away from it.
winnipesaukeenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Resident 2B

You are correct.

You have to be at headway speed in the zone. If there are no other boats or swimmers in the water within 150 feet of you, all you need to be concerned about is the no-wake zone. However, you must be at headway speed through out the entire zone, so you have to cut back and get down to headway speed just before you enter the zone.

R2B
Resident 2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Kracken

I am eating and drinking for free this weekend....NICE.

He had me starting to doubt myself...for the most part this guy really knows his stuff.

Of course with him, I am going to have to find it in print.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Rose

If you were headed from Alton to Paugus Bay, you would need to go to headway speed 150 feet from the bridge...that isn't a no wake marker on that side of the bridge...it's a lighted buoy...number 43 I believe.

Last edited by Rose; 08-11-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: add a word for clarification
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
sa meredith

Default Rose is correct

Yes...Rose is indeed correct.
There is no "NO WAKE" marker on that side of the bridge....just the words "No Wake" painted on the bridge. And, clearly, you should come off plain well before actually reaching the bridge.
So, who should win the bet????
Well, you don't need to be a headway until in the no wake zone...that's the rule. For example in open water...Paugus Bay heading into the channel, or heading into Meredith Bay...go as fast as you please (45 mph), as you approach the No Wake buoy, just be sure to be at headway upon entering the zone.
If indeed you thought the marker (FL 43?) on that side of the bridge was a No Wake marker (I think many people think that) and you came off plain 50 feet before it, you were certainly still at least 150 from shore (the bridge) so did nothing wrong....unless there were boats anchored to the other side of the red tip spar right there, which is only two to three feet deep, and draws several boats on nice days. And then, well, it is quite possible you were within 150 feet of them. That about cover it????
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Resident 2B

I have to get out there to double check, but I believe there is a No-Wake marker on the Glendale side of the Governsor's Island Bridge. Again, I am not completely sure of this, but I think there has been one there the last few years.

I will go with my camera later this week and get back.

R2B
Resident 2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
sa meredith

Default none

Approaching from the broads, there is none...I'm quite certain.
Just the words No Wake on the bridge.
The only markers are a red tip spar (marking very shallow water) and a navigational buoy. That's it.
If I'm wrong, I'm going to feel very foolish though.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Lakewinn1

Thumbs up No Wake

There is no "no wake" sign on nav. markers on the Broads side of Govenors Island Bridge so you must be at headway speed 150' from the bridge. I also believe there is a FL43 and a red marker. Many people mistake the FL and think it has a no wake on the marker.
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
travaler18

Default buoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Approaching from the broads, there is none...I'm quite certain.
Just the words No Wake on the bridge.
The only markers are a red tip spar (marking very shallow water) and a navigational buoy. That's it.
If I'm wrong, I'm going to feel very foolish though.
pretty sure tou are correct on this as i can remember
travaler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
Rose

We stayed in that cove last week and discussed this many times, including with the owner of the cottage. It actually drove my husband a little crazy that people were going to headway speed before they needed to. The only things there are the lighted nav aid and the red marker. It's also not on the Bizer chart we got a couple of years ago.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
NHskier

We pass through there quite often and can confirm as have others that there is no "no wake" marker on the Glendale side. On that side the no-wake area begins 150' from the bridge, assuming no other boats close by.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewinn1 View Post
There is no "no wake" sign on nav. markers on the Broads side of Govenors Island Bridge so you must be at headway speed 150' from the bridge. I also believe there is a FL43 and a red marker. Many people mistake the FL and think it has a no wake on the marker.

Yeah, I've been the target of dirty looks for going by that one on-plane.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 AM   #14
Kracken

There is a spar marker on the Glendale side. I came off plain and was going headway speed by the time I reached the spar. My buddie's point was I needed to be at headway speed 150' before the spar.